Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys complete set
Date: November 23, 2019 13:36

Band of Gypsys was one of the first LPs I bought, from Square Records in Wimborne, home to the Tivoli where Ron recorded his Mad Lad, around 1977 or 78, and the shop still exists, amazingly.
Amazingly, too, the complete four sets, unedited and in sequence, were released yesterday by the Hendrix people in a 5CD 8LP set under the name Songs for Groovy Children. In my mind this should be headline news in every arts section in the country, but nah, but yeah but - this is for me the greatest of concert recordings from Jimi (Berkeley a close runner up) and I got a chance to talk to producer Eddie Kramer about it all, then and now, for The Arts Desk. Here's the link. I never knew the Moby Dick connection - that until the ban on whaling, whale oil was used to bind magnetic tape into one mausoleum of sound, which means those 1966-1970 tapes in the Hendrix archive are in superb athletic condition, Adonis-like, and the stuff captured on the lower grade tape that came after has fallen apart like a rotten undervest ....

If you click the link, hope you enjoy the read. Very good to talk to, Eddie Kramer.

[theartsdesk.com]

Re: OT Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys complete set
Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 23, 2019 13:58

This indeed a killer release.
I was waiting for the complete official release for ages.
If only there would be more video stuff to be released.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 23, 2019 14:08

Hmmm, not really complete - some songs seem to be missing, if you compare it to this list:

[www.justasktheaxis.org.uk]

Wish I still had all 4 bootlegs of these great shows...

Date: November 23, 2019 14:14

damn havent checked the set lists yet.

I will check which additional songs I have here on my servers.

Date: November 23, 2019 15:07

Milan
Hmmm, not really complete - some songs seem to be missing, if you compare it to this list:

missing songs:
31.12.69 2nd show
Stepping Stone available as SBD
Burning Desire available as SBD
Power Of Soul available as SBD
Voodoo Child (slight return) available as AUD
Purple Haze available as AUD
some cuts in Them changes & Foxy lady

01.01.70 2nd show
lover man & steal away unknown until now, no bootleg available
some cuts in We gotta live together

the first shows of both days are complete

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-23 15:19 by falo01.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 23, 2019 15:12

Yeah, thanks for the good detectvie work. I could live without two Larry Lee songs omitted from Jimi's Woodstock set, but here it's too many for me, so I think I'll pass.

Date: November 23, 2019 16:21

I'd guess those missing tracks either never made it to tape, were damaged or were incomplete, because according to Eddie Kramer, everything they have is on this set, and it all sounds incredible TBH

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 23, 2019 20:16

Wow, too bad to hear it's not complete. My copy arrives on Monday. No store had it so I went to Amazon. Still pretty excited about it.

Date: November 23, 2019 20:52

Well, reading through the links and Stepping Stone and Burning Desire seem to be aborted after about the 2 minute mark, so perhaps we arent missing too much there, but it's a real shame that Power of Soul with "some very 'outside tonality' lines" and the Voodoo/Purple closers aren't in this set. Damn! But Kramer indicated that everything usable they had from the original tapes was on this set. It's definitely still worth getting excited about though...

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 23, 2019 21:30

Sad to hear that some cuts are not on this "complete" release. I picked this up yesterday and listened to a lot of it. I loved the music that Jimi and company did during this time period. This is still worth having if you are a Hendrix collector!

Date: November 23, 2019 22:35

this is an awesome set

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 23, 2019 22:39

Most of this stuff is released though.
We have the original album, the band of gypsies 2 LP, the 99 2cd, and the CD of the first show.
Yes I'm curious but it's just a money grab imho

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 24, 2019 00:00

It's great to have it all in one package, even though it's not technically complete.
Machine Gun from the original album is still my absolute favorite.

Date: November 24, 2019 01:44

Sighunt
Sad to hear that some cuts are not on this "complete" release. I picked this up yesterday and listened to a lot of it. I loved the music that Jimi and company did during this time period. This is still worth having if you are a Hendrix collector!

PS- the sound quality (which to my ears sounds much improved) and packaging ain't too shabby either smiling smiley!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-24 07:57 by Sighunt.

Date: November 24, 2019 01:49

Whale
We have the original album, the band of gypsies 2 LP, the 99 2cd, and the CD of the first show.

I do have to agree with you on this point. Over the years these Band of Gypsys shows have been commercially released in dribs and drabs and I got so pissed off by it, that after the CD of the first show was released (just a couple years ago), I sent a nasty letter to the Hendrix organization asking them why they don't release all of the shows in one boxed set.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 24, 2019 10:20

Sighunt
Whale

I do have to agree with you on this point. Over the years these Band of Gypsys shows have been commercially released in dribs and drabs and I got so pissed off by it, that after the CD of the first show was released (just a couple years ago), I sent a nasty letter to the Hendrix organization asking them why they don't release all of the shows in one boxed set.

Well, I guess they listened to u.

plexi

Date: November 24, 2019 12:18

Yes I bought the first complete show CD, too. There's 11 out of the 3 tracks that are unissued, and half a dozen that reappear unedited. The sound quality is fantastic - new tape transfers, and as Kramer says, the tapes stay in good nick on account of whale oil ... Moby Dick's sweat

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 24, 2019 14:58

Hairball

Machine Gun from the original album is still my absolute favorite.

thumbs up

Date: November 25, 2019 17:29

falo01
Milan

missing songs:
31.12.69 2nd show
Stepping Stone available as SBD
Burning Desire available as SBD
Power Of Soul available as SBD
Voodoo Child (slight return) available as AUD
Purple Haze available as AUD
some cuts in Them changes & Foxy lady

01.01.70 2nd show
lover man & steal away unknown until now, no bootleg available
some cuts in We gotta live together

the first shows of both days are complete

I was listening to more of this music last night. The sound quality on these shows are awesome. One thing I noticed (and people who are more authorities about this stuff can tell me if I am accurate in my observations), but on disc 4, second set 1/1/70, the versions of Power of Soul and Changes which I believe were featured on the original Band of Gypsys release in 1970 are longer and more complete which indicates to me that there were possibly edits with those songs to fit time constraints of vinyl records. Anybody else notice this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-25 18:00 by Sighunt.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: November 25, 2019 17:43

This was posted over at the Steve Hoffman Forums - the total damage confirmed so far of missing material is:

1.) 12/31/69 Late Show Missing Songs

Power Of Soul.
Burning Desire
Stepping Stone
Voodoo Child
Purple Haze

2.) 12/31/69 Late show edits
2001 theme and initial Intro to Who Knows
Ezy Rider Intro
Foxey Lady
Multiple edits to Changes

3) 1/1/70 Late Show edits
We Gotta Live Together significant portion of Buddy being the star and leading the crowd in what was a spirited complete performance

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 25, 2019 19:45

Yes, the original album is full of edits. The Band of Gypsys DVD has black and white footage of the band performing. You can tell the songs have been altered to best advantage. Which is okay with me. To me Band of Gypsys is Jimi's ultimate statement as an artist. As a writer I get to edit, over and over. Painters paint over sections. Whoever edited the original album did a masterful job.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 25, 2019 22:00

So far played the first 2 CDs. Wow, amazing sound, great so far. Nice package too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2019 00:24

UNCUT 272 ----- January 2019

ROCKMAN

Date: November 26, 2019 02:13

Rockman

UNCUT 272 ----- January 2019

Thank you Rockman. This article confirms what I thought. I got through listening to just about the whole package today, and IMHO, this release is a keeper for sure! Essential Hendrix listening. The musicianship of these three fellows (who were not together all that long) is quite incredible. It is nice to have all this (or what there is of it) music released after (almost) 50 years (LOL)!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 26, 2019 04:47

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what is the best extraction software for converting a YouTube video to MP3?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2019 05:19

….. hope you get some feedback …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 26, 2019 10:47

I totally missed this release would be coming....man this is fantastic. I always loved the BOG, more than I like the Experience. Good thing the family stopped milking this and finally released all shows, it was always a frustrating puzzle to get everything as complete as possible.

Mathijs

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 26, 2019 11:02

The Sicilian
Slightly off topic but does anyone know what is the best extraction software for converting a YouTube video to MP3?

Bigasoft works pretty well. There's a link in Hot Stuff here.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 26, 2019 11:59

Mathijs
I totally missed this release would be coming....man this is fantastic. I always loved the BOG, more than I like the Experience. Good thing the family stopped milking this and finally released all shows, it was always a frustrating puzzle to get everything as complete as possible.

Mathijs
As has been pointed out by several people this set is again not complete.
In that sense it continues a trend. The Hendrix "family" was the only party that resisted issuing the complete concert at Woodstock. All other acts agreed to release the whole thing.

Date: November 26, 2019 12:51

Whale
Mathijs

Mathijs
As has been pointed out by several people this set is again not complete.
In that sense it continues a trend. The Hendrix "family" was the only party that resisted issuing the complete concert at Woodstock. All other acts agreed to release the whole thing.

At least the Hendrix-only Woodstock release on DVD/BD is complete.
But yes, the missing song on the Woodstock Box is weird.
THey probably want to make sure that they are the only ones that release the complete show.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2153
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home