Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: RIP Davy Jones
Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:56

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:43

hbwriter
Elmo Lewis
hbwriter
btw - that gorgeous blonde at the end is Davy's wife

Marsha Brady?

Just kidding. I loved the Monkees (and Marsha Brady).

me too smiling smiley

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!hot smiley

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 21:45

So sad. Used to watch Monkees reruns as a kid. I would watch it all the time with my dad, and it is to this day one of the few things we ever both liked and enjoyed together. Nesmith was always my favorite Monkee though, but I liked them all and it is sad to hear of any of them passing away.

RIP Davy, they can't jump all over you for being short anymore.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 22:58

From Rolling Stone Magazine moments ago .

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 1, 2012 23:13

Damn,
It took a long time and the death of Davy to make it hip to admit "I liked The Monkees."

I admit, I returned a Beatles album that my mom gave me for Valentine's Day and exchanged it for a Monkees record when I was about 12. The stoner dude that ran the Record Shop/Head Shop looked at me funny and said: "Are you sure you know what you're doing, kid?"

RIP.

Date: March 1, 2012 23:20

boston2006

[www.rollingstone.com]

Rolling Stone Magazine used to hate The Monkees because they weren't cool like the Stones or Bob Dylan.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 1, 2012 23:27

I was on a bunch of radio shows this a.m. talking about Davy - this was KLOS in LA - the Mark and Brian Show

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 23:40

The Monkees were great. Wonderful pop music! My favorite Davy song - Cuddly Toy! (I never told you not to love no other - you must have dreamed it in your sleep.)

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 1, 2012 23:44

mitchflorida1
boston2006

[www.rollingstone.com]

Rolling Stone Magazine used to hate The Monkees because they weren't cool like the Stones or Bob Dylan.

well it comes around - because now rollingstone isn't as cool as people or entertainment weekly

Date: March 1, 2012 23:50

The show itself must not have been a big success, only two seasons on television.

Daydream Believer was their classic song, a masterpiece .

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 2, 2012 00:23

mitchflorida1
The show itself must not have been a big success, only two seasons on television.

It never finished in the Top 20 in the ratings. A few key markets never picked the show up. If it had, those record sales could have doubled. They were offered a third season, but they wanted to do a total remake of the show: more like a combination of Laugh-In and the Smothers Brothers. NBC passed on the reformat so it was cancelled. They did agree to three one-hour specials, of which only one aired, 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee.

Date: March 2, 2012 00:28

And Daydream Believer was supposed to be the B-side of Love Is Only Sleeping.
They switched it to the A-side and put Goin'Down as the B-side. Sleeping is an album track on Pisces, Aquarius.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 2, 2012 00:34

What a showman. I will miss him.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 2, 2012 00:47

mitchflorida1

The Monkees had a bunch of great records that still sound fresh to this day...but if I had to pick "the" classic Monkee record, it would be "I'm A Believer."

It has two great instrumental hooks: the mid-60's "fruity organ" sound (also found on "Red Rubber Ball" by the Cyrkle and "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind" by the Lovin' Spoonful) and the tasty guitar licks at the end of the chorus.

Dolenz--the underrated vocalist--delivers a passionate performance and Neil Diamond's song never sounded better.

"I'm A Believer" is a perfect record, and I'd put it alongside "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Proud Mary" as one of the greatest singles ever.

I'd be curious to know what Davy did for tambourine sales 45 years ago. He really put that instrument on the map!

Date: March 2, 2012 01:10

mitchflorida1

i agree. one of the greatest pop songs ever

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: March 2, 2012 04:16

Personally, I favored Nesmith:

The flip to "Valleri":

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 04:30 by TheDailyBuzzherd.

Date: March 2, 2012 06:54

TheDailyBuzzherd

I do, too. I've championed Nesmith on this board (and elsewhere) for years.
I'll take his stuff over Gram's Parsons' any day, and I'm a Gram fan.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:33

Davy sang this Neil Diamond song so nicely.

[youtu.be]

Date: March 2, 2012 16:55

The Monkees modified business plan now reads "No Davy = More Gravy!" Shit, it doesn't take them long to get the jokes out!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 2, 2012 17:14

My weekend morning shows in those days were filled with the Monkee's and these guys:

Tra la la la la la la....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 8, 2012 01:58

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The three surviving Monkees aren't planning to attend Davy Jones' funeral because it would likely bring too much unwanted attention to his family during their time of grief, the group's Micky Dolenz said Tuesday.
He and fellow Monkees Peter Tork, and Michael Nesmith have talked of attending one of the memorials that Jones' family is planning to hold in New York and in the late singer's native England, Dolenz said. And he added he's considering organizing a memorial himself for Jones' friends in Los Angeles.
Whether the surviving Monkees would perform at any of the gatherings, or at any other time in the future, is an open question.
"The three of us, Mike and Peter and I, we have never worked together just as a threesome. Mostly it was Peter, David and I and then Mike would join us," Dolenz said of the band's periodic reunions over the years.
"We've been talking, we've been communicating, but it's way too early, I think, to project or predict anything like that."
A private family funeral will take place in Florida this week, Jones spokeswoman Helen Kensick said Tuesday, declining to give any further details. Planning for a family service in England and a public memorial in the U.S. were still under way.
Dolenz said he wasn't surprised by the outpouring of public affection for Jones that followed his death from a heart attack last week at age 66.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 02:10

Gold Coast Slave Ship
The Monkees modified business plan now reads "No Davy = More Gravy!" Shit, it doesn't take them long to get the jokes out!

If this is true ......... it's sick .

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 8, 2012 02:12

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 8, 2012 03:35

boston2006
Gold Coast Slave Ship

It's someone else's joke, not one of his former bandmates.

Date: March 8, 2012 03:51

Rocky Dijon
boston2006
Gold Coast Slave Ship

It's someone else's joke, not one of his former bandmates.

There's a line from the Monkees movie Head in which Davy says "And I'd like a glass of cold gravy with a hair in it, please." Hey, Jack Nicholson wrote it.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: March 8, 2012 06:01

People magazine is going to have Davy on the cover this week.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 8, 2012 06:20

"I'm A Believer" is a perfect record, and I'd put it alongside "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Proud Mary" as one of the greatest singles ever.

Agree, and Pleasant Valley Sunday is almost as good.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 8, 2012 06:24

hbwriter
I was on a bunch of radio shows this a.m. talking about Davy - this was KLOS in LA - the Mark and Brian Show

Very nice words there writer, keeping it classy with those two must have been a bit of work.

It's obvious you have a lot of love and respect for Mr. Jones. How early did you have to get up to do that piece? It's been a while since I was a KLOS listener and those dudes used to be on at dawn, I'm pretty sure I don't miss 'em that much. You were relevant though. Nice work.

The more I watch this old Monkees stuff the more I realize how much it imprinted on my 3 year old brain back then, wow. I'll bet the product commercials they did during the TV show might have similar merit in my manipulated little mind. Prell shampoo anyone to go with yer Monkees? peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-08 07:38 by Naturalust.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: March 8, 2012 06:25

tomk
Gold Coast Slave Ship
The Monkees modified business plan now reads "No Davy = More Gravy!"

There's a line from the Monkees movie Head in which Davy says "And I'd like a glass of cold gravy with a hair in it, please."

First thing I thought when I read The Slave's post!

One of Jones' best lines in that is when he picks
a fight with Sonny Liston, declaring, "Million dollar head, this."

Yup, a movie up to its head in killer lines.

"From the people who gave you HEAD"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 8, 2012 07:02

TheDailyBuzzherd

The flip to "Valleri":

Guitars on "Papa Jean's Blues" by James Burton and Glen Campbell!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1404
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home