Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: RIP Davy Jones
Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 00:42

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 00:46

From Rolling Stone Magazine

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: March 1, 2012 00:56

Sad news.. I loved the Monkees as a kid. Bought the Monkee cards with banana flavored gum. I thought they had some decent songs..too young.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:02

[youtu.be]

Anyone know what kind of crazy bass Davy is pretending to play in this clip?

Date: March 1, 2012 01:03

Davy, rest in peace, brother! You did good!

Date: March 1, 2012 01:06

mitchflorida1

Thanks for posting this clip...I am oddly moved by this death. Maybe because I was a lad when The Monkees appeared and spend many hours watching their show and dissecting their first couple of records.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:17

Justin
treaclefingers
Love his lead vocal on Daydream Believer...and that wonderful dance from the video(TV show clip) that Axl Rose ended up copping.

Rest in Peace Davy.

Speaking of his dance, he still moved around pretty good. He does a nice little 60's groove at about 2:05. Clip is from last year. great performance by all..

I remember seeing photos from last year's reunion tour and thinking his paunch, though not necessarily alarming, was something he should be concerned about. You can clearly see it in this clip.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:23

71Tele
mitchflorida1

Thanks for posting this clip...I am oddly moved by this death. Maybe because I was a lad when The Monkees appeared and spend many hours watching their show and dissecting their first couple of records.

Great.................... I feel I'm 14 again smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 1, 2012 01:26

steverogan
Sad news.. I loved the Monkees as a kid. Bought the Monkee cards with banana flavored gum. I thought they had some decent songs..too young.

I remember those, too. I was seven in 1966. The Monkees were a part of my regular TV viewing, along with Batman, Lost In Space, and reruns of Superman. I never bought any of their records or went to see them in concert, but I would still have to consider myself a fan. At recess in school, we used to "play" Monkees, which simply meant that a few of the girls would chase a few of the boys around the playground. Funny that we called it "playing Monkees" and not "playing Beatles." Of course, from the perspective of a group of seven year olds in 1966, the Monkees, stars of a live action TV show, may actually have seemed more "real" than the Beatles, who we only knew as cartoon characters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 01:29 by tatters.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:27

So sad I can't believe it. He was a great singer.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:30

71Tele
[youtu.be]

Anyone know what kind of crazy bass Davy is pretending to play in this clip?

A Guild Jetstar. Tork used it on the '67 summer tour.
Gretsch actually built Jones a small-scale bass in the mid-'60s that he used on tour.

[guitargarage.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:38

I kinda remember these guys, I was just a wee toddler, but I couldn't figure out why they were always chasing the bimbo chicks and forgetting everything else.
By the time I figured it out they were long gone from the tube.

What stuck for me was two songs and the drummer. Mickey Dolenz, Daydream Believer and I'm Not Your Stepping Stone. That was my Monkees.

All good American rock bands played a version of Stepping Stone, some still do.

Amazing that some misguided promoter had Hendrix opening up for them during one of his first US tours, Can you imagine? Trade your bubble gum for Owsley acid little girl? lol It didn't last long as I understand.

GREAT Monkees logo in the shape of a guitar, that was pure genius.

RIP Davey.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:43

Ah, not Davey!! When I was 12 I had his picture on my wall....and yes, the Monkeesw were very under-rated, and their show on TV was great...very funny. RIP Davey, gone way too soon.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 1, 2012 02:04

I enjoyed watching the TV show,
RIP Davy Jones

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 02:12

RIP Davy Jones

Date: March 1, 2012 02:28

It's interesting that while they were derided by some, The Monkees had the respect of none other than The Beatles. The two bands got to be friends and Mickey Dolenz wrote "Randy Scouse Git" partly about the beatles.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 1, 2012 02:36

More on Davy's passing.[music.yahoo.com]

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 1, 2012 02:37

last year a good friend of mine turned 50 - he had a lovely party, small gathering of interesting people -including Davy - this was us in the office, middle of the night, with my friend playing guitar and Davy singing (this, after a living room concert)

Davy was so gracious this night regaling us with great stories- Henry Diltz, the photographer was there too and was very interesting- told me all about those amsterdam shots of the stones he got when still sat in around '70

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 1, 2012 02:44

This gem from the movie/album Head contains the guitar work of Danny Kortchmar, Neil Young, and Ry Cooder. Drums by Earl Palmer.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 1, 2012 02:51

Rest in Peace Davy! Although many people I grew up with got turned off by the Monkees manufactured image, I loved 'em. Like the Beatles and the Stones, they had a catalogue (although written by artists like Neil Diamond, Harry Nilsson & Carole King) of great commercial tunes (I especially loved Pleasant Valley Sunday). IMHO, two of their albums stand out as being- for lack of a better description- more "serious" works such as Monkees Headquarters & Pisces, Aquarius,Capricorn & Jones. Unfortunately, by that point, no one wanted to know anymore and in the minds of many, the Monkees were written off.

Date: March 1, 2012 02:59

loog droog
A year or so ago hbwriter had a post about being at a "60's" theme party where Davy was one of the guests, and he sang for everyone...

Chris?

hey man- i just posted a piece of video from the event at the end of this thread - good memory smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 1, 2012 03:03

with sssoul
... Davy Jones was a music professional before the Monkees as well.
i saw him in the stage version of Oliver in 1963 or so - he played the Artful Dodger -
and the fact that i'd been under the same roof with him made me suddenly cool among my classmates when the Monkees came into existence.

love and light to him and the people close to him

Some memories for you, with sssoul.

RIP Davy

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2012 03:11

hbwriter
last year a good friend of mine turned 50 - he had a lovely party, small gathering of interesting people -including Davy - this was us in the office, middle of the night, with my friend playing guitar and Davy singing (this, after a living room concert)

Davy was so gracious this night regaling us with great stories- Henry Diltz, the photographer was there too and was very interesting- told me all about those amsterdam shots of the stones he got when still sat in around '70

That was a very cool video...Davy sounded great. Thanks for sharing.

Date: March 1, 2012 03:23

btw - that gorgeous blonde at the end is Davy's wife

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 03:35

Many thanks Davy. You broght smiles to many. A life well lived!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: March 1, 2012 03:37

thanks hb, that is really nice.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: March 1, 2012 04:07

Ah, bummer. Got into 'em before The Beatles 'cuz of their singles
on cereal boxes. True. Favorite vocal of his is, "Early Morning Blues
and Greens" off "Headquarters".

Truth be told, I always thought Tork would go first ...

Date: March 1, 2012 04:18

Great clip, featuring Nick Mason and Andy Summers. The Top of the Pops producer thought Wyatt's wheelchair was "not suitable for family viewing," and would have preferred to have Robert use a "normal" chair.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 02:58 by tatters.

Date: March 1, 2012 04:20

Tork was down here in huntington beach - a dishwasher at the old golden bear - until jackson browne told him an audition up in hollywood....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2012 04:24

......... first time I saw a Monkee was Dolenz as Corky in Circus Boy ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home