Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Happiness Is A Warm Gun question
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 08:44

The title is tongue-in-cheek for sure, considering that many of the lyrics were meant as absurd comedy (when you learn their "back story" ).

Derek Taylor in an interview (quoted in the book A HARD DAY'S WRITE) broke down some of the lyrics. He said he and Lennon, with Pete Shotton and Neil Aspinall, tripped on acid at Derek's place. Lennon told them he had half a song written, and wanted the guys to shout out ideas for the other half.

Derek's father would praise a woman by saying, "She's not a girl who misses much."

"She's well acquainted
With the touch of a velvet hand
" is from Derek and his wife having talked to a man in a hotel who told them "I like to wear moleskin gloves. It gives me an unusual sensation when I'm out with my girlfriend."

"a lizard on a window pane" was from Derek having returned to the Beatles' fold after his L.A. sojourn. It was a "typical L.A. image." (L.A. basically being a reclaimed desert.)

"The man in the crowd
With the multicoloured mirrors
On his hobnail boots"
was from a news story of a man arrested for having mirrors on top of his boots at a soccer match, where he was looking at women's panties reflected in the mirrors.

"Lying with his eyes
While his hands are busy
Working overtime
" was from another news story of a man who had fake plastic hands he would rest on counter tops, while his real, unseen, hands—from under a cloak—would shoplift things below the counter and put them in a bag hidden under the cloak.

"Which he ate and donated
to the National Trust."
Derek said the "National Trust" refers to England's public parks system. The "donation" is actually human poop. Derek referred to "the horrors of walking in public places in Merseyside, where you were always coming across evidence of people having crapped behind bushes and in old air raid shelters. So to donate what you've eaten to the National Trust...was what would now be known as `defecation on common land owned by the National Trust.'" (These are Derek's own words, boys and girls!)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 12:20

Wonderful post Title! Thanks so much!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 1, 2012 12:29

Happiness is no Guns

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home