Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keithmas! (Vancouver)
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 19, 2019 16:21

Stumbled across this in looking at upcoming events in Vancouver.
Looks like a good time.. anyone ever attend??

"For the uninitiated Keithmas began in 2010 as a one-off Christmas party celebrating Keef that has gone on to become the longest running Keith Richards Christmas themed birthday celebration in the world. Albeit possibly the only one but who’s counting."

[youtu.be]
[www.straight.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-19 16:22 by MisterDDDD.

Re: Keithmas! (Vancouver)
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 19, 2019 19:49

I don’t tend to visit E. Hastings when in Vancouver, especially since The Only closed...Looking forward to your report! thumbs up

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 19, 2019 20:52

I’ll be heading to this, haven’t gone before but some of the local bands playing are pretty good. Dead Ghosts I like a lot.

East Hastings referenced by the poster above is a war zone of drugs. Last time I was in the rickshaw theatre, about 6 weeks ago, 3 people were dead from ODs in a 10 minute walk up to the venue. It’s a sad place.

All in all this show is for a worthy cause.

As an aside, there is an abandoned building directly across from the Rickshaw Theatre which is holding punk shows most weekends.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 19, 2019 21:00

Indeed Paddy, it is a sad place but that’s worse than I had heard. This sounds like it’s raising money for a very good cause, I hope it’s a success. The last time I walked through E. Hastings was maybe 12 years ago when a work colleague and I decided to walk from downtown to the wondrous (and now Guinness Record holding) La Casa Gelato. And back. After dark. I’ll do damn near anything for good gelato, but that was an eye-opening experience. I hope they get some needed help there.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2019 16:11

Wow...how 'untapped-in' I am. I hear about this on IORR and it's in my backyard!

...and yeah, sad/scary part of town.

Date: November 20, 2019 22:16

I like the rickshaw as a venue I have to say. I’ve caught some great shows in there over the years.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 21, 2019 01:29

Just talking about music to a work colleague and I didn't mention this but the Crue reunion. He said he was just at the Rickshaw for a metal show, said he's seen several shows there. It is a sketchy part of town but the reality of it is, compare that part of Vancouver with the worst neighbourhoods of some US cities. I've driven Hastings out of downtown before, not the greatest but I don't feel my life is in danger.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 21, 2019 02:32

DGA35
Just talking about music to a work colleague and I didn't mention this but the Crue reunion. He said he was just at the Rickshaw for a metal show, said he's seen several shows there. It is a sketchy part of town but the reality of it is, compare that part of Vancouver with the worst neighbourhoods of some US cities. I've driven Hastings out of downtown before, not the greatest but I don't feel my life is in danger.

Sure, the worst neighborhoods in some US cities are worse and/or more unsafe than the E Hastings & Main street area. But the reality is driving through and walking through or hanging out in are pretty different in terms of comfort and safety. The other reality is that I would rank it very high on my list of areas regardless of country, that are unsafe to walk around in by yourself after dark.

I haven't driven down Hastings to get in and out of downtown Vancouver in years, not because I feel threatened driving through but it's pretty stark and depressing. I'm likely going with a buddy if I go and we'll scope parking etc ahead of time and be just fine I'm sure, but it is high on my list of unsafe areas regardless of countries.

Date: November 21, 2019 02:32

Yeah, definitely never felt in danger up there. They keep it mostly between themselves. It’s just drugs flying around, not billets...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 21, 2019 03:52

Not sure how most major US cities are, but it's a bit ironic that in Van, the area around Hastings and Main is bad but then just a few blocks away, there's new development. Really, Rogers Arena and BC Place are only several blocks south of there, Chinatown a couple blocks south, Gastown is a few blocks west and a few blocks after that you're in the heart of downtown Van. What a difference just a few blocks makes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home