Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jane Ormsby-Gore
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 17, 2019 12:12

While searching the web for a project of mine, I've found an an article where it's started that Jane Ormsby-Gore inspired the lyrics of "Lady Jane". Can anybody here tell more, please? I know mothing about her... Bye, Luca

Re: Jane Ormsby-Gore
Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: November 17, 2019 13:05

1963luca0
While searching the web for a project of mine, I've found an an article where it's started that Jane Ormsby-Gore inspired the lyrics of "Lady Jane". Can anybody here tell more, please? I know mothing about her... Bye, Luca

You could well be on to something:
[www.nytimes.com]

Date: November 17, 2019 13:14

Thanks!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 17, 2019 13:16

From Wiki:
"Lady Jane" was written and composed by Jagger in early 1966 after reading the then controversial book Lady Chatterley's Lover, which uses the term "Lady Jane" to mean female genitalia. According to Jagger, "the names [in the song] are historical, but it was really unconscious that they should fit together from the same period." At the time, it was widely thought that an inspiration for the song was Jane Ormsby-Gore, daughter of David Ormsby-Gore, former British ambassador in Washington, who later married Michael Rainey, founder of the Hung on You boutique in Chelsea that was frequented by the Stones.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 17, 2019 13:24

Thanks a lot...It’s starting to have a sense

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 17, 2019 19:46

The Ormsby-Gore family had a stronger connection with Eric Clapton than The Stones.
In 1968 Eric started dating Alice, then 17 years old. She was with him for about 5 years, during his (and her) period of heroin addiction.
It was her father who helped Eric get on a treatment programme in 1974.
Eric and Alice then split and she slipped into obscurity, dying of a drugs overdose in the late 1990s.
Brother Frank/Francis also helped with Eric's recovery, getting him to help out with some manual work on the family Estate/farm.

All this is well documented in books and Eric's documentary film.

The Harlechs (the family title) have been beset by tragedy: car accidents, suicide, heroin overdose, mental health.....and substantial death duties when Lord Harlech died in 1985 (why hadn't they sorted that out before?).

Jane is certainly a Survivor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home