Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Never Mind The Bollocks DELUXE?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 28, 2012 03:27

The Sex Pistols sign new record deal with Universal

Punk rock band The Sex Pistols have signed a record deal with Universal, it has been announced.

An "expanded and repackaged edition" of the band's Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols album will be released later this year.

Universal said the release will tie in with the record's 35th anniversary.

"To be given the opportunity to re-evaluate the Sex Pistols catalogue is every music lover's dream," said Universal's Karen Simmonds.

"We're looking forward to working with the band and celebrating their impact on worldwide culture."

The band, best known for hits such as Anarchy In The UK and God Save The Queen, formed in 1975.

Newspaper furore

Fronted by Johnny Rotten, the group forged a reputation that encouraged fans to rise and rebel against the establishment.

In 1976 they signed a contract with record label EMI, but the deal became shortlived after the group caused controversy during an appearance on Thames Television's Today programme.

The live interview was littered with expletives and led to a furore for days afterwards in the national newspapers.

Further negative publicity led to EMI, which has since been bought by Universal and Sony, releasing the band from their contract.

Re: OT: Never Mind The Bollocks DELUXE?
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 28, 2012 03:44

Well, if cashing in on the 35th anniversary of Never the Bullocks isn't the textbook definition of irony, I don't know the meaning of the word.
T@3

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 28, 2012 03:45

the greatest album ever imo (sorry, exile on main street), this will be mine yesssssssssssssssssssssss

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2012 03:45

I guess that will mean there will be an ample amount of bollocks to go around.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 28, 2012 06:08

Everything The Sex Pistols have done has been released and re-released to the point it is ridiculous. Their career lasted for all of one album, and every scrap of unused music has been slapped together to justify all the various compilation albums (yes a band with one album manages to have MULTIPLE compilation albums) and all the other stuff put out after their 1 album career ended. I assume every decent live recording has been released, because they've been putting out some crappy ones over the years. I love the album, but if there really is anything left worth putting out to justify this, then it just means they've been screwing people for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 06:08 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 28, 2012 06:27

TeaAtThree
Well, if cashing in on the 35th anniversary of Never the Bullocks isn't the textbook definition of irony, I don't know the meaning of the word.
T@3

The irony/Not irony patrol will be around shortly to let you know grinning smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 28, 2012 07:21

The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle lives on!

They only released 15 original songs and a cover of No Fun before they broke up, and their worthwhile live material with Glen Matlock from 1975-77 has already been released. UMG could do like the deluxe edition of Horses and have the album proper (plus the B-sides and Belsen) on disc one, and 1996, 2003 and 2007 reunion live takes of the album songs in running order on disc two.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:03

we´re only in it for the money

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:06

It should have been called:

"NEVER MIND THE BUTTER"

Missed a trick there.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:07

Girls! Girls! Girls!

2 1 2 0

Date: February 28, 2012 09:14

Slick
the greatest album ever imo (sorry, exile on main street), this will be mine yesssssssssssssssssssssss

Having slagged them off over the years for selling out and then pretending they were being ironic and then pretending they were pretending... I have to say this...

Their one album IS a contender for the greatest album ever made.

I mean it (man).

I love that album, it grabs you by the neck and smashes your head against the wall at the same time you are trying to smash your head against the ceiling.

The Gods pointed the finger at this one and said "yes".

I think being 18 and a pubber/nightclubber/young twat in 1977 probably helps.

"Bodies"... just on a different level... God.. the opening riff... the pause.. then the rush.. I'm getting goosebumps.

Oh and that one's about a loopy girl who followed them around with (she claimed) a foetus in her handbag.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 09:19 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:51

Sure its a sell out, but for whatever reason I don't mind so much with them. Whatever they do, there is a sense of 'real' to it, they are originals and not fakes. I saw PIL half a year ago, and sure Lydon was acting, but there was this sense of grandness around him, like Jagger, John Lennon and Elvis have as well.

There was a Deluxe release of Bollocks on CD some 15 years ago, two discs with disc one the album, and disc two some outtakes and early versions. I belive that release contained all studio material available already.

Mathijs

Date: February 28, 2012 09:58

On "Swindle" album, I like Road Runner/Johnny B Goode when Johnny doesn't know the farking words.

There's a great guitar chugging underneath all that. Steve Jones was an excellent no nonsense chugger on his Les Paul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 10:00 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2012 10:10

On "Swindle" album, I like Road Runner/Johnny B Goode

..........Yeah dats a goodun ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 28, 2012 11:04

Johnny B Goode/Road Runner

EMI have been busy on YouTube I see.

"Blocked" "Copyright".

Posted by: iggy.pop ()
Date: February 28, 2012 11:43

If you have the Sex Box 1 & Spunk, you've got almost everything.
The rest are live recordings & the Swindle tracks where Rotten doesn't sing.

The last concert (before reunion) in the Winterland '78 is a must have from the live recordings.

'The Filth and the Fury' DVD is another must have.
And, about DVD, the last one, 'There'll Always Be An England' is great.

'Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols' is one of the best record ever.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 28, 2012 14:46

I'll like Crystal Palace 02 and Hammersmith 08 as I was there.

Got the 2CD version from years ago and various live releases: Chelmsford, Burton, Winterland and Finsbury. To make Johnny happy I need to top up my PiL collection (only metal box) to get it to the same level as the 80s and check out the newer stuff.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 28, 2012 15:37

The entire PIL catalog was recently reissued, except for the Metal Box, which was released three years ago in a miniature reproduction of the film canister with three CDs with the same track arrangement as the original vinyl set. Wobble's bass on Second Edition (Metal Box) will surely disturb your neighbors.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: February 28, 2012 15:39

Never Mind The Bollocks DELUXE?

Oh you mean the Dog's Bollocks!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 28, 2012 17:20

My Metal Box is not three CDs but one, is it a different version?

Of course I have my original Metal Box with three 12" singles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home