Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Woodstock on Netflix
Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: November 6, 2019 17:49

Just watched this last night. Pretty cool to see how it all came about and leading up to it. Wonder why the Stones decided not to play.

Re: Woodstock on Netflix
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 6, 2019 18:10

clapton71
Just watched this last night. Pretty cool to see how it all came about and leading up to it. Wonder why the Stones decided not to play.

Apart from anything else that might have been going on, Mick was in Australia filming "Ned Kelly".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 6, 2019 18:53

Apart from Mick being down under, were the Stones asked at all?

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: November 6, 2019 20:13

I believe they were....they had a list of groups they would like to have but they declined.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 6, 2019 20:21

There are many things The Rolling Stones never did, even if I am sure they have been asked many times. James Bond Theme music, just an example.

I was surprised they did Superbowl Haf Time, also when they did fly over to do SarsStock in Toronto, during the European Tour, and also 121212, and Desert Trip.

Still, most of the time, they did not do anything like that during the first decades, but these days, who knows, may be even a new 007 theme!

Bjornulf

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 6, 2019 21:35

Another thing they didn´t was an MTV Unplugged...

but they did another things for first time and they still alive (and kicking)!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 7, 2019 01:42

They didn't play live aid and live8...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 7, 2019 01:50

Hey, BV, are you dropping some kind of hint about the 007 film song??

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2019 03:20

With tour rumours settling down a bit in the new tour thread, this might be something refreshing to speculate about!

I've read various rumours that it could either be Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Lana Del Rey, or Sting among many others.
But with the new Bond movie (No Time To Die) having one of the highest budgets in franchise history at $250 million (maybe the highest?), could be the Stones...or maybe Mick solo?

"No time to die..."....sounds very Stonesy already! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-07 03:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 9, 2019 15:03

I'd like to watch this

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 9, 2019 19:03

rogerriffin

but they did another things for first time and they still alive (and kicking)!

they did and they didnt...the show in port chester was supposed to be there own unplugged.

Date: November 10, 2019 03:33

rogerriffin

They did their own version of it and gave us "Stripped", which is a really enjoyable affair. Ronnie was part of Rod Stewarts Unplugged session.

shortfatfanny

Yes and no winking smiley In fact, two thirds of them did: Mick had a solo spot at Live Aid, and Keith and Ronnie helped Bob Dylan butcher a few songs ...

I remember a TV interview from round that time (Ronnie, maybe? Or was it Keith?) where the interviewee said the Stones would never take part in such charity concerts and rather donate tacitly.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 10, 2019 04:35

doitywoik

shortfatfanny

Yes and no winking smiley In fact, two thirds of them did: Mick had a solo spot at Live Aid, and Keith and Ronnie helped Bob Dylan butcher a few songs ...

Always been bad at maths...but wasn't it three fifths then at live aid...? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
And they weren't billed as the rolling stones....

Date: November 10, 2019 06:23

Shoulda been three fifths, of course. I must have counted someone only half ...

They were not billed as RS but nevertheless three of them participated.

I remember another such charity thing years later where Mick and Keith performed together and did Stones material, but with some other musicians instead the of the rest of the Stones. One of the songs was Miss You. I also remember Keith wearing spex. Anybody remember what event that was?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 10, 2019 07:53

The Concert for New York City
20 Oct 2001 in response to September 11 attacks ……

Salt Of The Earth & Miss You …………….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: November 11, 2019 01:06

They did a Nicaraguan benefit concert following an earthquake there in 1973....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 12, 2019 17:34

clapton71

no Woodstock..

but Altamont..

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 16, 2019 22:28

I remember reading a quote from Mick saying th Stones weren’t asked to play Woodstock so they weren’t playing the second Woodstock a few years ago.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 16, 2019 22:42

I saw a documentary about Johnny Winter the other day, he was one of the one that got PAID playing. His performance at Woodstock, is from another world, only Hendrix can rompare. Unfortunately, Winter's "Winter's manager" said one shouldn't sign anything, or be a part of "Woodstock 1969 movie" - good grief

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-16 23:01 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 16, 2019 23:01

Erik_Snow
I saw a documentary about Johnny Winter the other day, he was one of the one that got PAID dor playing. His performance at Woodstock, is from another world, only Hendrix can rompare. Unfortunately, Winter's "Winter's manager" said one shouldn't sign anything, or be a part of "Woodstock 1969 movie" - good grief

Wow! It is crazy how the years past- I have almost forgot about the classic RoadWork album.

(sic) "People keep askin me where 's ya brother?"....yep!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2019 23:21

Erik_Snow
I saw a documentary about Johnny Winter the other day, he was one of the one that got PAID playing. His performance at Woodstock, is from another world, only Hendrix can rompare. Unfortunately, Winter's "Winter's manager" said one shouldn't sign anything, or be a part of "Woodstock 1969 movie" - good grief

Both Johnny and his manager regretted the decision.

From Rock Cellar Magazine:

Rock Cellar: You played the Woodstock Festival in 1969; did you have sense of the importance of the event itself?

Johnny Winter: Not really, not until we were flying in by helicopter and saw all the people. That’s when we realized it was gonna be something huge.

Rock Cellar: Were you nervous?

Johnny Winter: Nah, I never get nervous.

Rock Cellar: Why not?

Johnny Winter: I just don’t. I like to play; it doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve always enjoyed playing; I never get nervous playing a show no matter how many thousands of people are in the audience.

Rock Cellar: You don’t appear in the Woodstock film, why?

Johnny Winter: My manager didn’t think it was good idea. He said the festival didn’t make any money and the film probably wouldn’t either. He always said it was the biggest mistake he ever made. He admitted it to me.

Rock Cellar: Do you regret you weren’t in the film?

Johnny Winter: Sure I do. Oh yeah … I was very happy with the way we played; it would have been great to have been included in the film. I remember that I was asleep in the press tent using a bag of garbage for a pillow. We just wandered out there to see what was going on and they said, “Well, you guys are all here so why don’t you play?” I’d just woken up and I’m surprised we played so good. (laughs) I didn’t get to see anyone else play at Woodstock; it was hard to get a helicopter out so we left as soon as we got finished playing our set.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 16, 2019 23:31

hippies! at least the stones had the good sense to stay away & the hateful fred aren't in it!

PS: will admit the who & jimi hendrix are great in it. a few others are good but a lot of it scares me!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 17, 2019 02:09

bv
There are many things The Rolling Stones never did, even if I am sure they have been asked many times. James Bond Theme music, just an example.

I was surprised they did Superbowl Haf Time, also when they did fly over to do SarsStock in Toronto, during the European Tour, and also 121212, and Desert Trip.

Still, most of the time, they did not do anything like that during the first decades, but these days, who knows, may be even a new 007 theme!

Is that a hint smiling smiley

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 17, 2019 02:18

crholmstrom
hippies! at least the stones had the good sense to stay away & the hateful fred aren't in it!

PS: will admit the who & jimi hendrix are great in it. a few others are good but a lot of it scares me!

Man.... I thought I was the only one who thought like this!! I like The Who, CCR and Hendrix but the rest of it scares me grinning smiley

I think Altamont would have been more my thing, I like to know where the violence is and plan accordingly grinning smiley

It was a defining moment of an era and a historical time stamp though.

Hendrix wrapping up a festival of peace and love for American people while Vietnam raged and American people died with a rendition of the American National Anthem that sounded like war is as good as a news report for me. Is a different type of news.

Townshend kicking Hoffman off the stage shows the clash of ideals.

(I recently read a book called Chaos, Manson the CIA and the 60s.
You’re guaranteed never to talk to your friends about it, they’ll think your a lunatic)

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 17, 2019 03:32

Paddy
crholmstrom

Man.... I thought I was the only one who thought like this!! I like The Who, CCR and Hendrix but the rest of it scares me grinning smiley

I think Altamont would have been more my thing, I like to know where the violence is and plan accordingly grinning smiley

It was a defining moment of an era and a historical time stamp though.

Hendrix wrapping up a festival of peace and love for American people while Vietnam raged and American people died with a rendition of the American National Anthem that sounded like war is as good as a news report for me. Is a different type of news.

Townshend kicking Hoffman off the stage shows the clash of ideals.

(I recently read a book called Chaos, Manson the CIA and the 60s.
You’re guaranteed never to talk to your friends about it, they’ll think your a lunatic)

that book looks interesting. as someone who recently escaped the evil clutches of the military industrial complex i'd be receptive, haha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home