Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Jimi: All Is By My Side" Biopic. The trailer !
Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: July 4, 2014 10:38

At last ! check this out !

[youtu.be]

YM
ps : as you may already know, there are roles for Mick and Andrew in the movie.

Re: "Jimi: All Is By My Side" Biopic. The trailer !
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 4, 2014 10:51

Well I don't know...Isn't there enough documentary material out with Jimi himself...Is that guy gonna play guitar also...sad smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 4, 2014 20:29

The film is loaded with inaccuracies, to put it politely.

One of my favorite laughs was when Hendrix was asked by a fictious reporter something along the lines of whether he could compete with Queen or The Who.

Queen didn't come into existence until some two plus years later.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 4, 2014 20:33

I understand the estate didn't authorize use of his music for the film.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 4, 2014 20:37

stonesrule

One of my favorite laughs was when Hendrix was asked by a fictious reporter something along the lines of whether he could compete with Queen or The Who.

Maybe they meant The Queen, she was a tough act to follow, especially when she played a Strat with her teeth.

Seriously though, how the hell did no one involved in the film pick up on this very obvious error? I certainly won't be watching this rubbish.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 4, 2014 20:50

I think the interviewer in the trailer said Cream. Though it did sound very much like "Queam"!

Date: July 4, 2014 20:58

"Queam"...ha ha ha.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 4, 2014 21:00

Looks awful zzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 4, 2014 22:48

Certain figures seem impossible to capture without absolutely top flight actors and real historians vetting the script, especially when those figures are icons. Robert Redford is the only one with enough good looks and charm to have played Kennedy. And it would have taken a great actor to do Robert Kennedy.

As for Hendrix, how do you capture what he was most famous for without using either the original music, or really, really good music? The point is that Jimi is special because he created music so good it was other worldly. How do you get that across with some hack in the studio?

Oliver Stone did a credible job with the Doors, excepting him insisting on being fictitious with the Ed Sullivan scene. Jim Morrison never raised his voice or shouted 'We couldn't get much higher' defiantly. I think Stone did a real disservice to Morrison.

The Buddy Holly story worked with Gary Busey because so little was known about Buddy at the time, and sparked a revival. And that Lou Diamond Phillips film likewise for Ritchie Valens. I guess you could say that Hendrix has been gone so long, almost 44 years, that the modern film audience wouldn't be too prejudiced, and it might lead them to investigate Hendrix further. Then again, as Come On mentioned, there's an awful lot of documentary footage on Hendrix out there, including the excellent Hear My Train A Comin' put out last year.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 5, 2014 15:42

Honestly the film looks entertaining, but I just can't stand it when a filmmaker moves forward in making a film about a beloved artist when the artist's family does not endorse the project. No Jimi Hendrix songs in a movie about Jimi Hendrix? That is enough, right there, to scrap the project. I am not sure if I will bother to see this.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 5, 2014 17:01

I agree. What is the point of making a film about Jimi without the music? Senseless.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 5, 2014 18:29

Tate
Honestly the film looks entertaining, but I just can't stand it when a filmmaker moves forward in making a film about a beloved artist when the artist's family does not endorse the project. No Jimi Hendrix songs in a movie about Jimi Hendrix? That is enough, right there, to scrap the project. I am not sure if I will bother to see this.

I hear what you're saying, but in this case I'm not really letting the Hendrix estate's lack of endorsement bother me as his estate has been a complete mess almost since he died:

Jimi Hendrix left no will. He fathered two children out of wedlock, but his own father, Al Hendrix, legally denied them any claims on the Hendrix estate, to which he became sole heir. A gardener by trade without any knowledge of the music business, Al Hendrix hired a lawyer who in 1974 sold the rights to Jimi’s music to a Panamanian tax shelter in a deal that would see Al receive a fixed annual annuity. To complicate matters, rights to Hendrix’s likeness were sold to a different company. Al claimed no knowledge of these transactions, and sued his lawyer and advisor in 1993 to win back rights to Jimi’s music and image. The litigation was bankrolled by billionaire Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen – an avowed Jimi Hendrix fan, true, but also an interested party who hoped to benefit from Al’s cooperation in a $60 million Jimi Hendrix museum he was planning. The two men later had a falling out, and the Hendrix museum morphed into a more encompassing institution called the Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame. In 1995, a judge returned rights to Jimi’s work back to Al Hendrix’s company, Experience Hendrix LLC. So everyone was happy, right? Well, at least until Al died in 2002. Then it came to light Al had rewritten his will to cut Jimi’s brother Leon out of the trust. Leon – a former drug addict who now plays guitar in a band called The Leon Hendrix Mysterience – then sued his adoptive sister Janie, who he said had pressured Al to write him out of the will and was mishandling Experience Hendrix finances. - See more at: [www.legacy.com]

That said, I think the movie could be pretty interesting as it seems to just be an impression of the late '66/early '67 time frame. Andre 3000 looks like he knocked it out of the park. Plus, it'll be fun to see actors play Keith and the Loog.

OT-on NPR today, on Fresh Air- Hendrix film
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 23, 2014 22:38

this piece on Fresh Air, film-maker John Ridley along with Andre Benjamin who is playing Jimi-
sounds like a good portrayal.

Ill look forward to this movie, "Jimi: All Is By My Side"

after listening to the Fresh Air piece, I listened to "Can You See Me" from Monterey.

never got to see Jimi, but I was into his music from the first I heard it, same as with the Stones.

Re: OT-on NPR today, on Fresh Air- Hendrix film
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 24, 2014 08:50

I'm a little nervous about this film, but will think positively and look forward to hearing from people who see it.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 24, 2014 09:20

Saw this about a month ago at the NZIFF. Was well worth the watch, although the scene with a young Keith was not really needed.

Date: September 24, 2014 17:01

stonesrule

this project was made by people who I believe were trying to be accurate and honest in their portrayal of a specific time in Jimi's career, his developing into a bandleader and performer in London. They cant be faulted if Hendrix' messed up estate wouldn't cooperate.

stonesrule, you were Jimi's friend. were you consulted at all for this film? seems to me John Ridley is not a hack and neither is Andre Benjamin..I'd like to know what other 'inaccuracies' there are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-24 17:03 by duke richardson.

Date: September 24, 2014 18:00

I have learned to stay as far away as possible from Jimi Hendrix "projects."

In 2009 I walked away from a substantial financial offer for the film rights to my book on Hendrix as it became clear that the well known actor/director who courted me was living in a fantasy world of what he would do with the material.

I remember thinking at one of these endlessly long meetings that if Jimi had been there, he would have looked at me and said, "How could you get involved with these jerks who think they're cool? The music means nothing to them."

Whether it's the "messed-family" who run the estate and who barely knew Jimi or wannabe directors, actors, producers who are just looking for a buck, I don't want to be involved.

Date: September 24, 2014 18:20

Ok understood.

you're fortunate to have gotten to know him. I respect the art too. I had the feeling, listening to those two on Fresh Air yesterday, that they also respected Jimi and his work.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 24, 2014 18:48

Why do we need an actor doing Jimi when we just got the documentary 'Hear My Train A Comin'?

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: September 24, 2014 19:07

I've met the actor who's playing Keith in it and he said his parts very small in it.

He's basically re-living Keith's account in Life of how he came back off tour in '66 and went around knocking on doors going crazy looking for Linda Keith until he sees her with another guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-24 19:20 by brownsugar86.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 25, 2014 02:27

must have been not very good casting of Keith then as Keith is well known to have a big "part"....hey-O!! (drum roll,cymbal crash) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-25 02:28 by scottkeef.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 25, 2014 03:43

The Fresh Air interview with the director and actor was good, made the project sound interesting.
Here is a link for those who can get it. I didn't see it in your post above, duke.
Fresh Air Interview on Hendrix film

Stonesrule, thank you for telling us about your experience.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 25, 2014 05:05

scottkeef
must have been not very good casting of Keith then as Keith is well known to have a big "part"....hey-O!! (drum roll,cymbal crash) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

hilarious! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 25, 2014 11:51

No no no - all wrong.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: September 25, 2014 18:11

Here are two new clips :

Jimi onstage with The Cream (October 1st, 1966 at Polytechnic of Central London) :
[youtu.be]

Police harassment :
[youtu.be]

YM

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 25, 2014 20:33

Jah Paul

So it's a silent movie?

Date: September 25, 2014 21:36

dcba
Jah Paul

So it's a silent movie?

heh heh.

I still want to see it. here's a review..

[www.salon.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 26, 2014 05:47

Tate
I just can't stand it when a filmmaker moves forward in making a film about a beloved artist when the artist's family does not endorse the project.

What? That seems like about the furthest thing from a prerequisite to making a good film. Can you imagine your parents or your brother or sister needing to endorse a film made about your life? It might be ok if your family was involved in your art and/or business but in Jimi's case, none of them were (until Paul Allen spent large $ to revert his estate and copyrights back to the family long after his death). \

As far as this film is concerned, I'll reserve judgment until after I see it.
peace

Date: September 26, 2014 06:59

Any IORRers posting in this thread see Jimi live in concert?

Date: September 28, 2014 18:36

Over the past few days I have received numerous emails from Hendrix fans and three of his friends who have seen "All By My Side" telling me of numerous inaccuracies. I've also heard from several of his musician pals who shared some wonderful memories of him as a person and musician; none of them want to see this new film.

I have no interest in seeing it and have steadfastly turned down all invitations to screenings.

There was only one Marlon Brando...one Frank Sinatra..and one Jimi Hendrix.

Great performances by Hendrix can be found on the Internet for those who have the time and interest.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home