Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Trippy posters that defined the counterculture
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 12, 2019 18:59

Nice article regarding trippy/psychedelic posters from the 1960s. There's a poster for the Stones in the article. I still have a collection of posters from back then. Some are collector items and worth money, some are just cool posters. I would venture I am not the only one that has such items packed away.

[www.bbc.com]

Re: OT: Trippy posters that defined the counterculture
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2019 22:43

My mom bought me this oversized book for X-mas in the late '70's - published in '77 there's plenty of cool posters in it!

Below is a couple of my favorites which at one point or another I had repros on my wall back in the day.
(Can't recall at the moment if these are in the book, but more than likely they are)

I even had a t-shirt of this one when I was in high school.

Still have a smaller version of this one on my studio wall:

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 12, 2019 22:50

Professor Poster on Facebook

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 12, 2019 23:10

Thanks for the reminder Deltics - evidently I had already liked that page some time in the past. thumbs up

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 13, 2019 01:43

When you stare it with Far Away Eyes, 3D image will emerge from it.smiling smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 13, 2019 02:56

Hairball
My mom bought me this oversized book for X-mas in the late '70's - published in '77 there's plenty of cool posters in it!

I could fill this thread with images of the Trippy posters I've acquired over the years, but I'll stick with the cover image from Mick Farren's book. (I have the book).

I have a copy of that Jimi poster. It's called 'The Explosion' and it's based on a photo taken by Linda Eastman (later McCartney) and was done by Martin Sharp.

My copy (which I bought in London in 1970 or 1971) is unusually large. 36inches by 48inches. If you are interested, take a look at [sharphendrix.blogspot.com]. Mine's written about and is the one with the frame showing. When I told the author of the site about my copy he didn't believe that it came that huge, so I had to send an image with rulers laid along the base to prove the scale!

It's huge. It's framed behind non-reflecting glass and dominates wherever it is put. Currently greeting visitors to our home! But placed so that there's never any direct sunlight on it.

Reprints are, or at least were, available from Martin Sharp's Estate with the vivid colours fully restored.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 13, 2019 03:53

Thanks CaptainCorella - that's cool you have a have a copy bought in '70/'71. thumbs up
I've read all about that poster throughout the years and recall seeing that site- in fact I think there was another thread here not too long ago relating to Martin Sharp (maybe around the time he passed away?).

From the site

"There is some mystery over the size and colouring of the earliest printings. For example, a copy is known which was purchased in Oxford Street, London, during 1970/1 and is the large 36 x 48 inches in size.
This version does not include the bright reds seen in later prints, but rather a pale orange. Despite some fading with time, the colours are stated by the owner as close to the original print as purchased new.
The inscription along the bottom of this original version of the poster is printed in black and reads: MS16 Hendrix by Martin Sharp. Published by Big O Posters Ltd., 219 Eversleigh Road London SW11 01 228 3392"

"Martin Sharp, Jimi Hendrix, MS16, Big O Posters, London, 36 x 48 inches. First printing"?

Below is the original poster as published by Big O Posters, late 1968 - also 36" x 38".
I'm assuming that by the time you bought your copy in '70/'71, it maybe had faded by being displayed at the shop in direct sunlight? Or maybe has faded over the years?

Original photo - Linda Eastman:

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 13, 2019 05:59

Hairball
Thanks CaptainCorella - that's cool you have a have a copy bought in '70/'71. thumbs up
I've read all about that poster throughout the years and recall seeing that site- in fact I think there was another thread here not too long ago relating to Martin Sharp (maybe around the time he passed away?).

Original photo - Linda Eastman:

No need to repost the material. This link suffices [sharphendrix.blogspot.com]

It has definitely faded a bit, it could hardly be otherwise, but is has been behind non-reflective glass for over 30 years.

I'm pleased to say that when I asked our son if there was anything around the house he wanted to be left in my Will (not spooky, but practical) he said "Jimi".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 13, 2019 06:14

Well I only reposted a couple of the pics that are relevant to what we're talking about as some people don't always like to click on links for various reasons.
Wasn't sure if yours might have been a repro printed in '70/'71 when you bought it as even the bloggist seems unsure whether it's an original by stating "First Printing"? (w/question mark).
Anyhow, good to know it's an original, and glad your son will enjoy it in the future!thumbs up

And there are some of the latter day versions done by Sharp that are really outstanding, but people will have to click on the link to see them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-13 06:18 by Hairball.

Date: November 13, 2019 14:19

Great artwork, and always fascinating.
I wish they had kept on - and exhibited posters that stand for Glam Rock; then for Disco; Punk; Synth pop; Grunge etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home