Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Traditional folk lyric in “Let it Loose”
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 2, 2019 13:39

I was showing “O Brother, Where art Thou?” to my son last night. How many times have I heard the tune “Man of Constant Sorrow”? 10,000 times? Only now just noticed the line “Maybe your friends think I’m just a stranger / some face they’ll never see no more” that Mick, apparently, repurposed for “Let it Loose.”

Re: Traditional folk lyric in “Let it Loose”
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 2, 2019 16:10

Mick said that was Keith's doing in an interview I have somewhere. It might have been years ago in CREEM.

Incidentally, the way the narrative focus shifts after the first verse always struck me as clear proof that both were writing the verses.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-02 17:41 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 3, 2019 02:41

Thanks, Rocky. Did not know that.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 3, 2019 22:29

I think maybe they heard it vis Bob Dylan's first album. Dylan also did House of the Rising Sun on that album, and In My Time of Dyin'.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 3, 2019 23:49

tomcasagranda
I think maybe they heard it vis Bob Dylan's first album. Dylan also did House of the Rising Sun on that album, and In My Time of Dyin'.

Those lyrics do not appear in Dylan's version.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2019 00:19

Covered by many artists …..
Mick coulda heard Stanley's version or
Roscoe Holcomb or even back to Emry Arthur ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 4, 2019 20:28

Glam Descendant
tomcasagranda

Those lyrics do not appear in Dylan's version.

I think Dylan came out with "Your mother says that I'm a stranger, my face you'll never see no more".

I think Jagger would've heard Dylan's version, and then dipped back to earlier versions. Certainly, Led Zep heard Dylan's version of In My Time of Dyin' and then went back to the blues roots of it. Likewise, Alan Price based his arrangement of House of The Rising Sun on Dylan's version, as opposed to Odetta's or Dave Van Ronk

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1650
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home