Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Live Albums
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2019 21:42

For a long time they put out a live album with some space after the previous one. But lately they're dishing them out as a pretty common thing, for what reason other than because they can I don't know.

It used to be easy to pick 'em out and make a ranking of liking. When I got into the Stones they already had

GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT
GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!
LOVE YOU LIVE

STILL LIFE was a lot of fun and at the time was vibrant. I still love it. But now there's so much more

FLASHPOINT
NO SECURITY
LIVE LICKS
SHINE A LIGHT

and then 17, including HONK LIVE, since!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I left out the original STRIPPED (it's included in the 15 as the multiple reissue) and CHECKER LOUNGE and CIRCUS - does anyone have them all? I don't. I dunno if I ever will - there's no reason to get them all, really. Why anyone would have SUMMER SUN and or HAVANA MOON is beyond me. Maybe it's 18 because of HYDE PARK.

I dunno. It seems that the amount of time and money that goes into recording live shows and releasing a live album pre-internet was more of a record label demand but as simple as it may be now with digital recording, a little editing, the art work is cheap, and throwing it out online, they probably make money on them now - but not much since they don't seem to sell well.

Thoughts and facts...

Re: Stones Live Albums
Date: October 5, 2019 21:48

I just listened to SFTD from VOODOO LOUNGE UNCUT and Keith's screw up around 5:15 is audible over the overdub or splice!!!!

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: October 5, 2019 21:58

Yes the release of numerous live albums whether to counter bootlegs, for posterity or any other reason has lessened their impact and appeal.

In terms of ranking them imho its YaYa's and then the rest a long way behind.

Date: October 5, 2019 22:10

2 from the TOUR OF THE AMERICAS.
3 from the TATTOO YOU tours.
2 from the STEEL WHEELS tour.
2 from the VOODOO LOUNGE tours.
There will be 3 from the BRIDGES TO BABYLON tours.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 5, 2019 22:25

Concerning Still Life, How can a bootleg beat the quality? Aren't some of the SL cuts from Hampton?

Date: October 5, 2019 22:25

Concerning Still Life, How can a bootleg beat the quality? Aren't some of the SL cuts from Hampton?

Date: October 5, 2019 22:31

Chris Fountain

Imagination
Shattered
LSTNT
Time Is On My Side

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 5, 2019 22:33

Here's a list of live stuff released one way or another I put together some time ago......

Not including the 'old fashioned' releases like GYYYO - Love you live - Still Life - Live licks etc..............

Anything missing? please say..................

Live on air – 1960’s - CDs
Rock ‘n’ roll circus – 10 - 12.12.1968 – CD & DVDs
Get yer ya yas out - Complete setlist - 28.11.1969 – CD & DVDs
The Marquee - 26.3.1971 – CD & DVDs
Leeds Lungs out – 13.3.1971 - CD
Ladies and Gentlemen - 24.6.1972 – CD & DVDs
Brussels - 17.10.1973 - CD
LA Forum - 11.7.1975 – DVDs - From the vault
LA Forum - 13.7.1975 – CDs - From the vault
Old Grey Whistle Test – Paris - 1976 - TV
Ladies and Gentlemen – Fort Worth - 8.7.1978 – CD & DVDs
Chicago - 22.11.1981 - Checkerboard Lounge – CD & DVDs
Hampton rds - 18.12.1981 – CD & DVDs
Let’s spend the night together - 1981 from two shows – DVD
Leeds - 25.7.1982 – CD & DVDs
Toronto - 4.9.1989 - TV
Atlantic City - 18.12.1989 - TV
Tokyo - 24.2.1990 – CD & DVDs
Tokyo - 26.2.1990 – CD & DVDs
Barcelona - 15 & 16.6.1990 - TV
London - 7.7.1990 - Radio
IMAX - 1990 compilation - DVD
New Jersey - 16.8.1994 – VHS tour souvenir
New Orleans - 10.10.1994 - Radio
Oakland - 31.10.1994 - TV
Miami - 25.11.1994 - TV & Cds & DVDs
Rio de Janeiro – 4.2.1995 - TV
Buenos Aires - 16.2.1995 - TV
Santiago - 19.2.1995 - TV
Johannesburg – 25.2.1995 - TV
Tokyo – 12.3.1995 – CD & DVDs
Amsterdam - 27.5.1995 – Totally stripped - DVD
Paris – 3.7.1995 – Totally stripped - DVD
London – 19.7.1995 – Totally stripped - DVD
St. Louis – 12.12.1997 – TV & Cds & DVDs
San Diego – 3.2.1998 - Radio
Buenos Aires – 30.3.1998 – TV
Buenos Aires – 5.4.1998 - Cds & DVDs
Rio de Janeiro – 11.4.1998 - TV
Chorzowie – 14.8.1998 - TV
Bremen – 2.9.1998 – TV – TV & Cds & DVDs
Istanbul – 19.2.1998 – TV
San Jose – 19.4.1999 – CD & DVDs
New York – 16.1.2003 – TV rehearsal
New York – 18.1.2003 – TV & Four Flicks - DVDs
Bangalore – 4.4.2003 - TV
Paris - 11.7.2003 - Club – Four Flicks - DVDs
Toronto – 30.7.2003 – Toronto Rocks - TV & DVD
London – 24.8.2003 – Four Flicks - DVDs
Toronto – Phoenix Centre – 10.8.2005 – CD & DVDs
Rio de Janeiro – 18.2.2006 – Biggest Bang - DVDs
Saitama – 2.4.2006 - TV
Glasgow – 25.8.2006 - Radio
Austin – 22.10.2006 – Biggest Bang - DVDs
New York – 29.10.2006 – Shine a light – CD & DVDs
Newark – 15.12.2012 – TV
Glastonbury – 29.6.2013 - TV
London – Hyde Park – 6th & 13th.7.2013 – CD & DVDs
Los Angeles – Fonda Theatre – 20.5.2015 – CD & DVDs
Havana – 25.3.2016 – CD & DVDs
Honk – CD 3

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-06 11:29 by EddieByword.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 5, 2019 22:34

Some bands release their entire tour on cd.

I guess one reason for the recent overkill of Stones dvds is the fact that filming and sound recording takes place anyway, and I usually go by the rule: if there's an image to look at, the lack of decent sound or performance is less conspicuous. So, effectively it may not cost that much to make. Not many people buy them but apparently there's a little money in it.
Some of the dvds are not so bad really, like Hyde park, Sticky Fingers live. But I passed on BtoB Bremen and will pass on Buenos Aires, after having already two recordings from that (extended) tour.

Date: October 5, 2019 23:22

SomeGuy
Some bands release their entire tour on cd.

I guess one reason for the recent overkill of Stones dvds is the fact that filming and sound recording takes place anyway, and I usually go by the rule: if there's an image to look at, the lack of decent sound or performance is less conspicuous. So, effectively it may not cost that much to make. Not many people buy them but apparently there's a little money in it.
Some of the dvds are not so bad really, like Hyde park, Sticky Fingers live. But I passed on BtoB Bremen and will pass on Buenos Aires, after having already two recordings from that (extended) tour.

The big elephant in the Room!!!!!!!!!!!

Stones should be on Sirius XM ….

Date: October 6, 2019 00:13

Listening to BRIDGES TO BREMEN on Spotify and it's the Start Me Up that Keith does the intro 2 times before actually starting the song - which is really cool considering how it's gotten so boring.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 6, 2019 00:37

GasLightStreet
I just listened to SFTD from VOODOO LOUNGE UNCUT and Keith's screw up around 5:15 is audible over the overdub or splice!!!!

Rock 'n' Roll, baby smoking smiley

Date: October 6, 2019 00:46

More here. Will be updated someday smiling smiley

[iorr.org]

Date: October 6, 2019 01:01

DandelionPowderman
More here. Will be updated someday smiling smiley

[iorr.org]

Damn. I forgot that page existed.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 6, 2019 02:46

GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain

Imagination
Shattered
LSTNT
Time Is On My Side

I don't think Imagination is from Hampton. I've mentioned here before, I don't know why the Still Life version of Time has a different first verse than the actual version from Hampton? LSTNT is from Hampton but the Still Life version has an edited ending.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: October 6, 2019 03:08

Of the 24 Rolling Stones albums I have considered worthy enough to put on my MP3 player, I have only 3 of their live albums, "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!", "Brussels Affair (Live 1973)", and "Still Life".

The reason is that after listening to various and sundry Rolling Stones Live material for a period of more than 48 years, what is available has become extremely repetitious in the content.

I don't know how many live albums of theirs I have stored on an SD card that I have deleted from my MP3 player.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-06 03:20 by Chacho.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 6, 2019 03:22

I was never a huge fan of the live albums they put out. The ones I'll listen to from time to time are GET YER YA YA'S OUT and LOVE YOU LIVE, those are my favorites. I very rarely play anything past that. STILL LIFE should have been a double album considering the setlist was around 25 songs. FLASHPOINT was decent having two new songs on it (although I think "Sex Drive" is an awful song). STRIPPED is good and different, but again I'm not crazy about it. NO SECURITY is pretty meh. LIVE LICKS was okay but again nothing spectacular. SHINE A LIGHT being the soundtrack to the film, I would rather just watch the film than listen to it.

Those are like the actual live albums, the rest are "From The Vault" type releases. BRUSSELS AFFAIR is top notch. Top 5 best Stones shows. The rest I never bought the live release but I've watched the respective videos that have come out over the years.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 6, 2019 03:29

Currently watching this and loving it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 6, 2019 03:39

JordyLicks96
I was never a huge fan of the live albums they put out. The ones I'll listen to from time to time are GET YER YA YA'S OUT and LOVE YOU LIVE, those are my favorites. I very rarely play anything past that. STILL LIFE should have been a double album considering the setlist was around 25 songs. FLASHPOINT was decent having two new songs on it (although I think "Sex Drive" is an awful song). STRIPPED is good and different, but again I'm not crazy about it. NO SECURITY is pretty meh. LIVE LICKS was okay but again nothing spectacular. SHINE A LIGHT being the soundtrack to the film, I would rather just watch the film than listen to it.

Those are like the actual live albums, the rest are "From The Vault" type releases. BRUSSELS AFFAIR is top notch. Top 5 best Stones shows. The rest I never bought the live release but I've watched the respective videos that have come out over the years.

Don't forget Got Live If You Want it. Also Hyde Park and Havanna Moon should be regarded as real live albums. At least Hyde Park was released before the blu ray release. Sticky Fingers Live was released only half a year after the concert took place so this is a real live Album too. I never understood why the blu release was a Vault release because at the time it was only 2 years old. On Love You Live for some tracks the time span was equal.

Date: October 6, 2019 05:42

DGA35
GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain

Imagination
Shattered
LSTNT
Time Is On My Side

I don't think Imagination is from Hampton. I've mentioned here before, I don't know why the Still Life version of Time has a different first verse than the actual version from Hampton? LSTNT is from Hampton but the Still Life version has an edited ending.

Maybe it's from the other Hampton show? There were 2 shows.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 6, 2019 06:50

GasLightStreet
DGA35
GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain

Imagination
Shattered
LSTNT
Time Is On My Side

Maybe it's from the other Hampton show? There were 2 shows.

Maybe Imagination is from the other show but LSNT is the same, even Mick's intro about everyone watching at home having a few beers smoking a few joints. Time is identical except for the opening verse.

Date: October 6, 2019 09:36

DGA35
GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain

Imagination
Shattered
LSTNT
Time Is On My Side

It's from the other Hampton-show, isn't it?

Date: October 6, 2019 14:20

JordyLicks96

Don't forget the killer Got Live If You Want It-EP.

Date: October 6, 2019 14:28

In relaqtion to this topic, such as LYL, If you Can Rock Me and Get off of my Cloud are both classic songs and never should be combined in a medley.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: October 6, 2019 14:32

I don´t know what it is...but I really love the Sympathy version of LOVE YOU LIVE.

Always seemed to come along more psychedelic than the versions before and after.
Am I wrong?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 6, 2019 14:39

Chris Fountain
In relaqtion to this topic, such as LYL, If you Can Rock Me and Get off of my Cloud are both classic songs and never should be combined in a medley.

Amazing how people's taste and preferences differ.............I've got that 'track' down as one of the Stones' best ever live tracks - top 5 .......... The transition from one to the other is sublime.......sumptuous groove if ever there was one.............imo of course ....Vive la difference..........

Date: October 6, 2019 14:40

RawIguanaCologne
I don´t know what it is...but I really love the Sympathy version of LOVE YOU LIVE.

Always seemed to come along more psychedelic than the versions before and after.
Am I wrong?

Not at all - SFTD... is preferable on Get yer Yas Yas Out. It's simply a great moment in history. 1969 was crazy.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: October 6, 2019 14:48

Of course - I know the YAYA´s version is brilliant, I just seem to find the LYL-version more...playful, coltish...?

Date: October 6, 2019 14:58

Both versions are great, in different ways smiling smiley

Date: October 6, 2019 19:43

IMO for band like the Stones, often boots are actually better.
Especially the '75/76 tour. On that tour we got the compressed Mesa Boogie guitar sound, Olli'es percussion and Billy Preston's approach to the songs. Plus the newer songs - they all made for a kind of claustrophobic overall effect. Oh, and also the way Jagger was singing.
So all that together really did not need pristine audio separation/quality. It benefits from some grungey boot sound.
The balancing aCT with good boot sound is to get the hall sound without losing the audio for each instrument and vocal.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home