Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Joker
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 5, 2019 15:46

Yesterday, my wife and I went to see the "The Joker".

The movie we attended was the 11:00 A.M show. A Martin County Sheriff was present and simply let's us through without intrusive questioning. Of course it is Florida and we were dressed lightly. My wife picked up some pop corn and water and used her flashlight to find me. My usual seat preference is the left side midway to Screen.

surprisingly the theatre was Not cold and the sound was not that loud. A coat or ear plugs were not needed

Wife bought some popcorn and water. Then came the previews The "1917" movie preview looks promising as rest of slate seem like run of mill "Hollywood" movies. That is about it.

This movie centers around the background and development and progression of the Joker's mental make-up. It is not a Villain vs Batman type of movie Arthur Fleck is just an ordinary man with mental issues whom is taking care of his declining mother. At same time he is seeing his Probationary Therapist (Mental Health ) for meds. He works as a stand-up comedian and part -time Clown and deals with everyday societal cruelty while dealing within his own pyschosis.

During day and night Fleck falls more into mental derangement. At same time he is discovering his abusive childhood upbringing

I will stop at this point as this is a very realistic movie and I don't want to give the premise away.

The cinematography is great and the acting is superb- Phenix will win an Oscar.

I recommend this movie - but it is very sad, dark and real

Again it is not a "DC Comics Type Movie" other than Gotham being its unusual strange way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-05 16:09 by Chris Fountain.

Re: OT: Joker
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2019 18:32

I was looking forward to seeing this based on some of the pre-release hype, but have read mostly negative reviews the last couple of days- for example:

"Now, the film is finally here, and it turns out the piece of art that has caused such an uproar is nothing more than an incoherent, misbegotten and embarrassingly dull two hours". - Joker

The same review does tip it's hat to Phoenix (his best role was in the Gladiator imo): "Phoenix’s performance as Arthur, the proto-Joker, is, as usual, of the highest caliber".

I always try not to form an opinion or rely on what critics say about anything (positive or negative), and will see the movie eventually, though I'm not as excited or in as much of rush to see this as I once was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-05 18:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2019 20:54

I think I'm too centered in what Heath Ledger did - how could that be topped? But I will see JOKER at some point and be open to it because if one is interested in seeing a different actor play a character already well done and you're willing to go see it then... be open to it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 5, 2019 21:34

I'm very interested in seeing this. As great as Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger were, I think this take will be quite different and will explore a completely different facet of the character.

The less said about Jared Leto's version, the better.

Date: October 5, 2019 21:38

This movie brings back memories of the famous BB King lyric: "No one loves me but my mother & she may be jiving me too."

This song is not on the film soundtrack.. Score is fitting, however

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-05 21:42 by Chris Fountain.

Date: October 5, 2019 22:43

jack will always be the best joker .

Date: October 5, 2019 23:36

keefriffhard4life

I beg to differ - however,comparisons are held in different context, perception or movie interpretation.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 6, 2019 00:18

Why so many Joker movies? Is this some kind of a joke?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2019 01:17

Koen

The jokes on everybody as the best Joker was Cesar Romero from the original tv series '66-'68.

Funny how his mustache can be seen though the white makeup.grinning smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 6, 2019 01:30

Chris Fountain

The movie we attended was the 11:00 A.M show. A Martin County Sheriff was present and simply let's us through without intrusive questioning. Of course it is Florida and we were dressed lightly. My wife picked up some pop corn and water and used her flashlight to find me. My usual seat preference is the left side midway to Screen.

surprisingly the theatre was Not cold and the sound was not that loud. A coat or ear plugs were not needed

Wife bought some popcorn and water. Then came the previews The "1917" movie preview looks promising as rest of slate seem like run of mill "Hollywood" movies. That is about it.

I thought you were going to give a review of the movie not a play by play of totally irrelevant and boring details. No offense but come on.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 6, 2019 01:32

I was a little puzzled by some of the odd detail in the review too...

This sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant film, and with all the truly depressing shit going on in the real world, not a way I would care to spend a couple of hours of my life.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2019 01:38

THE AGE --- 5 October 2019

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 6, 2019 02:00

If I were to see a new film this weekend I would go to Dolemite Is My Name.

...because... well, I guess the next line in that famous Rudy Ray Moore bit explains it best.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 6, 2019 02:25

Hairball

The best Joker was Cesar Romero from the original tv series '66-'68.

grinning smiley

I'll drink to that. Julie Newmar was the best Catwoman, too. I had my Adam West and Burt Ward autographed photos from my childhood. I met Julie Newmar many years later. I was old and she was far older. She was nice, though (if a little odd).

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 6, 2019 03:25

Hairball
Koen

The jokes on everybody as the best Joker was Cesar Romero from the original tv series '66-'68.

Actually the original portrayal was by Conrad Veidt in the movie The Man Who Laughs (1928):

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: October 6, 2019 03:40

What size popcorn and water did your wife buy? Could you give an approximate temperature of the theater in both Fahrenheit and Celsius?

Date: October 6, 2019 03:51

Chris Fountain
keefriffhard4life

I beg to differ - however,comparisons are held in different context, perception or movie interpretation.

he is the only one who you believe could be it. he truly comes across as the character from the comics. to me all the others miss the part of the character where he actually thinks the demented stuff is knee slapping funny

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 6, 2019 05:50

Koen
Hairball
Koen

Actually the original portrayal was by Conrad Veidt in the movie The Man Who Laughs (1928):

Close, but not exactly.

Bill Finger and I created the Joker. Bill was the writer. Jerry Robinson came to me with a playing card of the Joker. That's the way I sum it up. [The Joker] looks like Conrad Veidt — you know, the actor in The Man Who Laughs, [the 1928 movie based on the novel] by Victor Hugo. [...] Bill Finger had a book with a photograph of Conrad Veidt and showed it to me and said, 'Here's the Joker'. Jerry Robinson had absolutely nothing to do with it, but he'll always say he created it till he dies. He brought in a playing card, which we used for a couple of issues for him [the Joker] to use as his playing card.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: October 6, 2019 12:27

The Sicilian
Chris Fountain

I thought you were going to give a review of the movie not a play by play of totally irrelevant and boring details. No offense but come on.

Thanks for the comments- You bring up an interesting point. The reason I stated that there was a sheriff, and the theatre was not cold and volume not too loud is because that is Not Normal. I just wanted to give a few facts and not give the movie away. Also, when Stones fans write reviews I like to read about the personal experience as well as concert performance. No big Deal.

I really do not know why this society makes a big deal out of movies. It's simply a nice place to escape the world at reasonable price. The Joker is not perfect but I like mentally deranged folks. that is why I visit this website smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-06 12:53 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: October 6, 2019 13:55

Chris Fountain

I feel like I've seen too many of this type of movie. I have a rapidly diminishing interest in spending good time and money on an evening so I could get depressed, no matter how good the performance. To me, movies are a redemptive escape from the real world. Last night I had a choice to see see Joker or Downton Abbey. I chose the latter...

Date: October 6, 2019 14:19

ThePaleRider
Chris Fountain

I feel like I've seen too many of this type of movie. I have a rapidly diminishing interest in spending good time and money on an evening so I could get depressed, no matter how good the performance. To me, movies are a redemptive escape from the real world. Last night I had a choice to see see Joker or Downton Abbey. I chose the latter...

How was the movie? "1917" previews look good-

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: October 6, 2019 16:39

Chris Fountain
ThePaleRider
Chris Fountain

How was the movie? "1917" previews look good-

It was great. Funny thing is, I had not seen one minute of the TV Series and had no idea walking in what it would be about.. didn't know who any character was...but walked out thoroughly entertained with a smile on my face. The ones who went to see Joker didn't seem like they had a good time. Joker might be a well-made movie. I just made a decision that I don't want to spend a night immersed in depressing darkness. It's like going to a Stones concert...I want a couple of hours of escape from the real world....

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 6, 2019 22:48

I got dragged to this film by a friend and I was expecting one of those awful Marvel type borefests that your average man-child enjoys. Luckily it wasn't like that, in fact, it's a great film. It is not a childs film like those Avenger movies, it's for adults, and as others have said, very Scorsese like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-06 22:53 by strat72.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 6, 2019 23:21

Saw it today with my 17 year old son.I found it dark,disturbing and compelling viewing.Rather shocked when I heard Gary Glitter on the soundtrack!Rock n roll part two I believe,what a great song.And Frank Sinatra too.
Much prefer Jack Nicholson and Heth Ledger as the joker.Great shots in NYC in the film and Robert De Niro is brilliant.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 7, 2019 00:42

keefmick

What size popcorn and water did your wife buy? Could you give an approximate temperature of the theater in both Fahrenheit and Celsius?

LOL, tsk tsk.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 7, 2019 00:58

keefriffhard4life

I'll take Steve Miller! Joker, Smoker and a midnight toker! smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2019 03:35

Herald Sun -- 8 October 2019

ROCKMAN

Date: October 8, 2019 23:01

SonicDreamer
keefmick

LOL, tsk tsk.

Cheers,
SonicD

My wife purchased a medium Aquafina and medium Popcorn WITHOUT Butter. The temp was approximately 76 F. I cannot give away the movie plot as it would be a contradiction in my belief as a cinema goer since childhood. The ticket price by the way was $10 apiece.

It's a great movie. Enjoy.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 9, 2019 13:18

It’s a great film, and I’m glad I went, but I’m not sure I can say I enjoyed it. Two hours of impeccable acting. Two hours of watching someone having a breakdown.

It's not a comic book film. Joaquin is great (although he's no Cesar Romero).

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 9, 2019 19:43

Cranked-up the franchise in to another league in terms of violence and expletives.
I loved it and was captivated by it. I'd sum it up like this; it's a good film but it's never a contender for an Oscar for Best Film however it most definitely contains a contender for Best Actor. A Stones song wouldn't have been out of place in it.smiling smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home