Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rate the Stages 75-present (inc are bluprints, concept art and photos)
Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: December 30, 2012 17:05

for referance, bluprints, and photos, see the offical stufish website here. [www.stufish.com]

So here it is Rate the Stages from 75-2012....with one condition. One offs dont count, so The Superbowl, Sarsfest, Rio 06 and the Beacon theatre(yes i know its a two off, but still). here is my list

1. Bridges to Babylon - From Artwork, theme, to to Concept to birth of the bstage and the round screen with fireball
2. Voodoo Lounge- The Snake, Mike coming out from the floor and the Sorta Bstage
3. Licks Outdoors - a 17 million dollor screen cant go wrong.
4. Steel Wheels - The Birth of the BIG Stage.
5. 2012 Tounge Stage - Love it and the concept
6. Bigger Bang - Awesome, but for me, a little gaudy
7. 75 TOTA- The Lotus flower, So cool.
8. No Security- This was actually quite cool,
9. The BB/Licks Indoor Gigs
10. 81 outdoor show - I guess i never understood why this stage looks like a hill.

Re: Rate the Stages 75-present (inc are bluprints, concept art and photos)
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 30, 2012 17:14

I did your list. Just move No Security to the number 2 spot and 2012 to the bottom, and I agree!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 30, 2012 17:41

You neglected the 1990 Urban Jungle Tour stage. It was quite different to the earlier Steel Wheels design... I think.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 30, 2012 18:00

1-10: The 1975 Lotus.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 30, 2012 19:05

Lotus was the best.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2012 19:11

Bridges To Babylon.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 30, 2012 19:36

The 2012 stage .A smart move with the walkway finally putting the played out b stage to bed.I liked the sparse set up.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 30, 2012 19:40

The indoor arena stage for Bridges To Babylon and the No Security one are my personal favorites. Plus the one used this year.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: December 31, 2012 00:02

1. Voodoo Lounge
2. Bridges to babylon - concept deluxe
3. Steel Wheels - the first big grand stage... and yes it was huge...ยจ
4. 2012 stage - finaly the tounge, they should make it in a stadium!
5. A bigger bang
6. No security
7. 75
8. Licks - was without a concept... just greatest hits.. BtB anv VL had concepts
9. Urban jungle - much boring compared to steel wheels
10. 1981/1982

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: December 31, 2012 01:01

1. Voodoo Lounge
2. Licks
3. Babylon
4. 81 (indoor)
6. No Security
7.Steel Wheels - this was pretty cramped at Alpine Valley
8. 2012
9.Urban Jungle
10. 75 - this would have been higher if I saw the Lotus, but we had an outdoor show in Milwaukee that had a green (matched Jagger's outfit color) sorta circus tent layout

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 31, 2012 02:34

The best.....The Lotus 1975....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 31, 2012 03:00

Lotus flower from another wise crappy tour.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: December 31, 2012 05:12

I guess they didn't tour in 1978?

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 13:32

1 - Steel Wheels. This stage blew my mind as it was the very first time the band's great songs were augmented with a stunning visual spectacle. It was also - to my great delight - my first time to see the Stones play AT NIGHT under spectacular lighting, which is what I was hoping for after the broad daylight shows of '78 & '81.

2 - A Bigger Bang. Almost as visually spectacular as 1989 but toned down a bit. Also, the rolling "B" stage was just too cool.

3 - Licks Tour stadium stage. Rather simple compared to '89 or '05 but it worked. The video screens were unique also.

4 - 1981. It may look like not much by today's standards but a lot of people found it spectacular at the time with long ramps and all.

5 - 1978. Doesn't get much simpler, but being my first Stones show, I thought the tongue logo looked pretty cool.

I missed VL, BTB, & NS so I can't comment. We all know videos never do those big stages justice.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: December 31, 2012 15:15

A little treat for those of you that love the lotus!

Sorry about the image quality, I took these a while ago with my old iphone 3GS as you may know the camera quality wasn't great on that model. Anyway I will take some better photos at some point.

Now its just a case of tracking down the rest of them to complete the set!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 31, 2012 18:15

Lucky they didn't end up with a Stonehenge sized stage

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 31, 2012 19:21

My Top- 5

1. Licks Outdoors (really impressive, to me)
2- Voodoo Lounge (the snake was a smart idea and it gave some elegance, IMO)
3- ABB (excellent)
4- 2012 Toung Stage (clever idea)
5- B2B (imressive but very "heavy" stage, very "baroque"...)

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: January 1, 2013 01:48

I was there at that Millwalkie show in 75 roryg and it was my first time seeing the band. Man that is a long time ago but I'll never forget the thrill of finally getting to see my hero's live! The sound might have been shit, I really don't remember. But when those first few chords of HTW blarred out of the amps and I caught my first glimpses of first K.Richards and them Mick Jagger I gotta tell you I was in heaven! Yeah I remember the green outfit Mick wore and as out of date as it all might be by todays standards, at the time it was the Stones at their finest, and I was transfixed from the first chord of the show to the very last note.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: January 1, 2013 02:04

I agree. The 78 stage was by far the simpilist stage I've ever had the pleasure of seeing the guys perform on but still it's one of my favorites. The band was pretty well stripped down to the basics too and that was just fine by me. Saw them in Boulder Colo on a really hot day. The papers said the next day that the temps on the floor of this huge football stadium reached in to the 140's with all the bodies packed together,and seeing thats exactly where I was,I've never doubted it. People dropping like flies all around and the only thing I think that saved me was the rain shower that hit just before the Stones were about to walk on stage. Kinda delayed the show but probably saved many a overheated fan by that time and an early evening show with the sun just beginning to go down,really made for a more dramatic Rolling Stones show than if it had still been midday. Anyway, just my two cents worth but I'd love to hear your own memories of the shows you might have attended back in the day.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 1, 2013 02:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-01 02:37 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: January 3, 2013 21:58

"- present"

Present is now, 2013. With so much interest here in stages, anyone know anything about ongoing set design for the coming tour? I see a lot of thoughtful speculation โ€” anything actually known about what's coming if other than a larger 2012 for larger than arena venues?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: January 5, 2013 21:06

rob51
I agree. The 78 stage was by far the simpilist stage I've ever had the pleasure of seeing the guys perform on but still it's one of my favorites. The band was pretty well stripped down to the basics too and that was just fine by me. ....

Wasn't that because that tour was done by themselves? They had just left Rudge and the tour was BBG [before Bill Graham's] entre.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 5, 2013 23:16

AAHHHH Mick popping out of the Floor on Voodoo Lounge, I am so glad someone else brought that up. I remember thinking how cool that was. And yet every DVD of that tour I own has Mick skipping out while the drums beat. Did they stopp using the specioal effect and if so when?

Date: January 6, 2013 05:15

kahoosier
AAHHHH Mick popping out of the Floor on Voodoo Lounge, I am so glad someone else brought that up. I remember thinking how cool that was. And yet every DVD of that tour I own has Mick skipping out while the drums beat. Did they stopp using the specioal effect and if so when?

Voodoo Lounge? In the '75/US '76/Europe Love You Live/TOTA tour, they had that large circular hole near the center front of the Lotus stage which supported 3 fuctions: Mick being elevatored up through the floor into view and leveling with the stage; the tired grandfather as the group referred to the giant air sock phallus which was filled with air from fans from below the stage; and, the dragon that Mick and Ollie Brown would pull up from below and then drag from one side of the stage to the other also being a sock like creature using the same inflation from below and which unfurled multi-colored tongues spewing confetti out over the audience.

There were other devices used in other years to elevate Mick up in different ways to various locations.

What's being worked on for the coming tour?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 6, 2013 06:31

The lotus flower stage is the coolest stage ever used for a rock 'n' roll show.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 6, 2013 07:51

Lotus stage TOTA 1975. I was there in LA on 7/9/1975. My all time favorite!!!

Date: January 6, 2013 11:26

Thought they did really well with B2B and Voodoo - those stages had so much character. I could see the traveling Stones circus giving those stages a name.
Licks, ABB were more assemblies of cool stuff; screens.
Steel Wheels was beyond stage; it was ultra, Ueber.
Seen from 2013, in historical context, the Lotus must be the most impressive feat.

Date: January 6, 2013 22:33

Palace Revolution 2000
Seen from 2013, in historical context, the Lotus must be the most impressive feat.

Wasn't the Lotus stage only used in its true hydraulic fashion [to open the closed lotus flower into a stage] in a couple of venues โ€” MSG and The Forum, because of problems using that very opening system? Too be sure, that tour was the best for their on stage, personal antics, as distinguished from ever growing monster stages.

What's coming? Who's designing what/anything for the coming shows?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: January 6, 2013 22:35

PeanutGallery
Palace Revolution 2000

Wasn't the Lotus stage only used in its true hydraulic fashion [to open the closed lotus flower into a stage] in a couple of venues โ€” MSG and The Forum, because of problems using that very opening system? Too be sure, that tour was the best for their on stage, personal antics, as distinguished from ever growing monster stages.

What's coming? Who's designing what/anything for the coming shows?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

I think so; we had this question a while back, and I think someone said they had it in Chicago too. ???

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 7, 2013 01:38

I TOTA-LLY think the 75 lotus stage was cool. ha......ha...........ha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-07 01:40 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home