Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Prodigal Son - Harmonica
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 22, 2012 01:16

Listening to the studio version and noticed for the first time that there's two, not just one, harmonica fighting to be heard on the track.

There's the 1st harmonica which is in background in the centre of the mix, it sounds as if they tried to mix it out completely, but it bled on to another mic. Then at approx 2 minutes in to the track a 2nd harmonica enters on the right speaker. The 2nd harmonica sounds more close mic'd and intentionally there, it's just mixed low.

Interesting that two different takes of harmonica still never really made it to the final mix in any significant way. Oh to find an alternative mix in which they are a lot more present.

Interesting also, atleast to me, because this means there are two tracks on Beggars Banquet, Parachute Woman and Prodigal Son, which have two different harmonica takes on them.

smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 01:39 by His Majesty.

Re: Prodigal Son - Harmonica
Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 22, 2012 01:34

You're absolutely right, His Majesty. It's really haunting and makes this great song even greater in my opinion. I've often wondered if it's so far down in the mix because the Stones/producer/engineer consciously desired the effect. If so, it's inspired. Early 'subliminal' country blues!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 19:12

There is the iconic phrase "more cowbell." I feel the same way about the Stones and the harmonica. As far as I'm concerned Jagger can play harmonica all he wants. In one of my daydreams I hear harmonica closing out MLMile. Taylor's on stage as well.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 24, 2012 00:18

That's one of the things that make me love Beggars Banquet. It's full of those really subtle things. There's a ton of instruments on it, but only some of them are up front. There's lots of mysterious things buried in the mix, in a good way. Sometimes it's hard to even know what kind of instruments they are, like the oooing flute sound on Jig-Saw Puzzle and the stuff at the end of Street Fighting Man. Took me years to realize that there's a mandolin mellotron sound on Factory Girl.

Makes it more exciting on headphones and makes repeated listens more rewarding.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 24, 2012 09:12

His Majesty
There's the 1st harmonica which is in background in the centre of the mix, it sounds as if they tried to mix it out completely, but it bled on to another mic. Then at approx 2 minutes in to the track a 2nd harmonica enters on the right speaker. The 2nd harmonica sounds more close mic'd and intentionally there, it's just mixed low.

Are both tracks Jones on harmonica?

Mathijs

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 24, 2012 11:33

I'm listening very close here to the entire Beggar's and I'm not satisfied with the drumming...confused smiley it have never happened before...must been something I have been eating..time to leave the building for today...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 11:36

Mathijs, I believe it is Mick on harmonica. I recall reading that in It's Only Rock and Roll...or another reference book.

Date: February 24, 2012 13:50

whitem8
Mathijs, I believe it is Mick on harmonica. I recall reading that in It's Only Rock and Roll...or another reference book.

Books etc often get this stuff wrong.

Hard to say for certain, but it sounds like Brian to me, atleast the harmonica in the centre of the mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 13:52 by His Majesty.

Date: February 24, 2012 13:52

Yeah, so true, but doesn't it sound like Jagger's style? I think it does.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 24, 2012 14:47

I actually never doubted it is Brian on harmonica.

Mathijs

Date: February 24, 2012 15:08

Actually, Mathijs I think you are right! It is Brian! I just listened again in headphones and man it really sounds like his trade mark harp riffs... good call.

Date: February 24, 2012 15:20

What about the 2nd harmonica in right speaker?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 25, 2012 09:30

Mathijs
His Majesty

Are both tracks Jones on harmonica?

Mathijs

My question exactly. I was reading through this thread wondering whether there was any possibility that was the case--so I'm glad you posited that. Because I would have been hesitant to actually suggest it, even tho thinking it. Any chance Brian recorded first, then Mick re-recorded, and ultimately the decision was just made to turn it way down in the mix?

- swiss

Date: February 25, 2012 16:29

What with Mick most likley doing vocals during the recording of the basic track, Brian playing harmonica during the same take makes sense. The 2nd harmonica which enters at approx two minutes sounds more restrained in comparison to the 1st harmonica, but at same time it's low in the mix and doesn't appear for long enough to really pick up on anything that strongly suggests whether it's Brian or Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 16:43 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home