Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ALBUM TALK: Aftermath US
Date: June 5, 2015 11:42

Tracklist

A1 Paint It Black 3:20
A2 Stupid Girl 2:52
A3 Lady Jane 3:06
A4 Under My Thumb 3:20
A5 Doncha Bother Me2:35
A6 Think 3:10
B1 Flight 505 3:25
B2 High And Dry 3:06
B3 It's Not Easy 2:52
B4 I Am Waiting 3:10
B5 Going Home 11:35

Credits

Arranged By – Rolling Stones, The
Bass – Bill Wyman
Design [Cover Design] – Stephen Inglis
Dulcimer, Sitar – Brian Jones
Engineer, Liner Notes – Dave Hassinger
Guitar – Brian Jones , Keith Richard
Marimba, Bells – Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, Charlie Watts
Other [Lighting] – Mick Jagger
Percussion – Charlie Watts, Jack Nitzsche, Mick Jagger
Photography By – David Bailey, Jerrold Schatzberg
Piano, Organ, Harpsichord – Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, Ian Stewart, Jack Nitzsche
Producer – Andrew Loog Oldham
Vocals – Keith Richard*, Mick Jagger
Written-by – Mick Jagger and Keith Richard

What are you thoughts on this album?

Re: ALBUM TALK: Aftermath US
Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 5, 2015 15:17

Different album cover from UK smiling smiley

But I don't like how they cut out songs from the UK version. With Between the Buttons I didn't mind, as they added Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend the Night Together. But with Aftermath U.S. version, no Mothers Little Helper for example.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 15:21 by nightskyman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 5, 2015 15:40

I know it's popular on the message board, but I prefer all the earlier ones ... 1st one, Now, December's, Out Of Our Heads. I do like it more than 12x5.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 16:18

nightskyman
Different album cover from UK smiling smiley

But I don't like how they cut out songs from the UK version. With Between the Buttons I didn't mind, as they added Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend the Night Together. But with Aftermath U.S. version, no Mothers Little Helper for example.

True, but you gain Paint It Black.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 5, 2015 16:24

The only thing I like better in the UK version is the cover art.

For me, even if I know it is a factual mistake, this always has been the paint it black album.

I can't say I don't like the songs that were cut out from the UK version (Mother etc.), but for sure they are way on the bottom of my list of fav stones songs of the era.

C

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 5, 2015 16:34

liddas
The only thing I like better in the UK version is the cover art.

For me, even if I know it is a factual mistake, this always has been the paint it black album.

I can't say I don't like the songs that were cut out from the UK version (Mother etc.), but for sure they are way on the bottom of my list of fav stones songs of the era.

C

And for Europeans there is no Paint it black album. It was just an single-release.
Don't you miss Out of Time at the US Version? I think it one of the album's key song. But probably it depends on what you were used to from the beginning.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 23, 2015 16:00

The same applies for the US Version as to the British one. A first massive step into the Pop market, although some tracks are charming like Paint it Black, I'am Waiting. But the Rhythm and Blues profile of the band is lost. Thin guitars, Brian's awkward turn to exotic instruments instead of improving his guitar skills ... the decay is underway ...

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 23, 2015 17:25

RobertJohnson
The same applies for the US Version as to the British one. A first massive step into the Pop market, although some tracks are charming like Paint it Black, I'am Waiting. But the Rhythm and Blues profile of the band is lost. Thin guitars, Brian's awkward turn to exotic instruments instead of improving his guitar skills ... the decay is underway ...

The decay of the band or for Brian Jones? Or that he drifted towards exotic instruments and not guitar is evidence of his downfall? Don't agree in either case (when he wanted to produce good guitar work, he did as in 'No Expectations').

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 23, 2015 17:33

nightskyman
RobertJohnson

The decay of the band or for Brian Jones? Or that he drifted towards exotic instruments and not guitar is evidence of his downfall? Don't agree in either case (when he wanted to produce good guitar work, he did as in 'No Expectations').

Both, for the band as well as for Brian ... until the bottom line "Their Satanic Majesties Request". Beggars Banquet, especially "No Expectations", marks the resurrection of the Stones as a Rhythm Blues Band ... No Exspectations shows very well that Brian was still able to make some essential contributions playing a great subtle slide guitar... What a waste of talent in the years before ...

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: June 23, 2015 18:12

One of my favourite stones albums. Always play the b side when i listen to this record. Wonder what Abkco got in their vaults from this era.....

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 23, 2015 18:33

DoctorFreddie
One of my favourite stones albums. Always play the b side when i listen to this record. Wonder what Abkco got in their vaults from this era.....

While I have no favorite Stones album, Aftermath is one that I spin a lot.

I wonder what ABKCO has too. It would be nice if they did a deluxe version of this.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 23, 2015 21:35

MingSubu
DoctorFreddie

While I have no favorite Stones album, Aftermath is one that I spin a lot.

I wonder what ABKCO has too. It would be nice if they did a deluxe version of this.

Probably not that much. There's stuff from the time period like Who's Driving Your Plane, Sad Day & Long Long While that's been comped elsewhere.
As far as outtakes go, there's Looking Tired, which is basically a rewrite of Robert Johnson's 32-20 Blues.

Looking Tired

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 24, 2015 03:55

While The Stones were great during this period, there is much evidence to it that the vaults are lacking.

While Aftermath was the first time were they really took their time and recorded lots of songs, it has all been released. The few songs left of the albums, UK or US, was released either on singles or on Flowers, the following year.

All this considered, there is also the fact that to it, that since many of the songs had a sparse arrangement, it's not likely they experimented wildy with them, if there exists alternate takes. I, for one, am not quite interested to hear an alternate take of 'Take It Or Leave It'...

I think most of the interesting outtakes from the early period is already out there on boots, though I wish I am wrong.

When The Stones stopped touring in 1967, the material they worked on, naturally took a different direction, and therefore there is lots of material available on bootlegs.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: June 24, 2015 04:15

Probably the 5th greatest album ever recorded.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 19, 2019 00:54

Aftermath US - My rating 2.5 out of 10

This album has a lot more misses than hits for me. Two awesome classics, but the rest just doesn't get my mojo working, sorry to say.

1. Paint It Black - Fantastic. Everything comes together on this recording. Songwriting and performance both as strong as it can get. This is the next level for the Rolling Stones, and one of the high marks of their entire career.

2. Stupid Girl - Never been a fan of this song. I find that refrain annoying, like a bee buzzing around my ear.

3. Lady Jane - I recognize that it's a classic and has earned its place on any Greatest Hits collection - which for a band of this caliber and longevity, is still quite an accomplishment. It does sound pretty, and I can appreciate that as well. It's just never been a song that appealed to me very much, so it's not a keeper in my personal Stones playlist.

4. Under My Thumb - Magic. Top notch. Amazing how it can shift from a fairly delicate approach to a steady, swinging rocker. Such a great sound. Big props to the producers on this one. A classic song that goes a long way to defining the Rolling Stones.

5. Doncha Bother Me - There they go, lifting up the blues so nicely. I hadn't heard this one in a long time, so this was a pleasant surprise.

6. Think - I don't like this song. Somehow it has never really stood out as exceptional in any way. I find some of the musical changes awkward.

7. Flight 505 - The performance sounds sloppy and poorly mixed to my ears, and I don't think there's anything special about the song either.

8. High And Dry - Some fun guitar work in this early stab at folk/country, but it sounds like an awkward attempt at a Bob Dylan soundalike song. It doesn't quite work in my opinion.

9. It's Not Easy - Feels like it has some possibilities once in a while, but again, I have to pass. There's just nothing amazing about the song as a whole.

10. I Am Waiting - This has never made my Stones playlists in the past, and it's not going to change. I think the rocking part doesn't really work, but I like the more delicate part more than I have in the past.

11. Going Home - To me, this song is just dumb and annoying. Corny and too simple. Really have never seen the appeal in this one. The extended jam just feels forced and uninspired. It's good to hear them trying to push the envelope a bit, and nice to know they eventually made this concept work in songs like "Midnight Rambler".

Keepers: Paint It Black, Under My Thumb, Dontcha Bother Me

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2019 00:59

Heck no ... you'll never be Rockeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home