Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Album Talk: The Rolling Stones No 2 / Vol 2
Date: May 15, 2015 10:55

2nd U.K. studio album: THE ROLLING STONES NO. 2
Decca Records
Release date: January 15, 1965

All songs written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards except where noted.

Side one
No. Title Length
1. "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" (Solomon Burke/Bert Berns/Jerry Wexler) 5:03
2. "Down Home Girl" (Jerry Leiber/Arthur Butler) 4:11
3. "You Can't Catch Me" (Chuck Berry) 3:38
4. "Time Is on My Side" (the "guitar intro" version, not the "organ intro" version from 12 X 5) (Norman Meade) 2:58
5. "What a Shame" 3:03
6. "Grown Up Wrong" (originally released on 12 X 5) 1:50
Side two
No. Title Length
7. "Down the Road Apiece" (Don Raye) 2:55
8. "Under the Boardwalk" (originally released on 12 X 5) (Arthur Resnick/Kenny Young) 2:48
9. "I Can't Be Satisfied" (Muddy Waters) 3:26
10. "Pain in My Heart" (Allen Toussaint) 2:11
11. "Off the Hook" 2:38
12. "Susie Q" (originally released on 12 X 5) (Dale Hawkins/Stan Lewis/Eleanor Broadwater) 1:51

Personnel:
Mick Jagger – lead vocals, harmonica, tambourine, percussion
Keith Richards – electric guitar, backing vocals
Brian Jones – electric, acoustic, and slide guitars, keyboards, harmonica, percussion, backing vocals
Bill Wyman – bass guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts – drums, percussion

Additional personnel:
Jack Nitzsche – piano, sound effects ('Nitzsche' phone), tambourine
Ian Stewart – piano

What are your thoughts about this album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 10:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Album Talk: The Rolling Stones No 2 / Vol 2
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 15, 2015 11:20

This is the one that brought me here. Drag me off from The Beatles camp for good. An album that put my music world upside down. Or should I say - flipped the switch? winking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 15, 2015 11:35

Hmm. My UK copy, which I bought when it came out, has that picture on the front but no text, and on the back it's identified as "The Rolling Stones No. 2" not Vol. 2. confused smiley

Anyway, I loved/still love Down the Road Apiece so much, especially the outro with the piano/guitar interplay, so much that I took to just playing that part until the fateful day when I dropped the needle on it. Now even if I'm hearing a pristine CD version, I still hear in my head the way the record skipped after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 11:38 by Aquamarine.

Date: May 15, 2015 11:38

Aquamarine
Hmm. My UK copy, which I bought when it came out, has that picture on the front but no text, and on the back it's identified as "The Rolling Stones No. 2" not Vol. 2. confused smiley

Yep, hence the thread title. I have the «Vol 2-copy» myself.

From Wiki:
«On Dutch and German pressings of the album, the title is listed as The Rolling Stones Vol. 2 on the front cover, although the back of the album cover lists the title as The Rolling Stones No. 2».

Here's the original cover:

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 15, 2015 11:39

OK, thanks, I just posted at the same time!

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 15, 2015 13:03

Love this album, even more than No 1. It is wilder, rawer than the first, the sound is darker, more powerful, nastier (and got even nastier later on on Out Of Our Heads). The cover fits the music perfectly : The Bad Boys Of R'n'B.

resotele

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 15, 2015 13:39

Brian is so goddamn great on I Can't Be Satisfied

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 15, 2015 13:44

They were always quick learners.
By the time they recorded this one, they already knew what they were doing.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 15, 2015 14:08

I don't recognize this album at all. Dannie, it's a good project, keep em coming, but this one is not on my list. The material is not bad - in fact som of it is stunningly good, some even the best - but to me there is a) the debut and then there was b) Out of our heads. Forget this. As an album. I own it of course but I refuse to play it. I don't own a record player.

Date: May 15, 2015 14:10

Redhotcarpet
I don't recognize this album at all. Dannie, it's a good project, keep em coming, but this one is not on my list. The material is not bad - in fact som of it is stunningly good, some even the best - but to me there is a) the debut and then there was b) Out of our heads. Forget this. As an album. I own it of course but I refuse to play it. I don't own a record player.

What about NOW, which has a very similar track list?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 15, 2015 14:11

DandelionPowderman
2nd U.K. studio album: THE ROLLING STONES NO. 2
Decca Records
Release date: January 15, 1965

All songs written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards except where noted.

Side one
No. Title Length
1. "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" (Solomon Burke/Bert Berns/Jerry Wexler) 5:03
2. "Down Home Girl" (Jerry Leiber/Arthur Butler) 4:11
3. "You Can't Catch Me" (Chuck Berry) 3:38
4. "Time Is on My Side" (the "guitar intro" version, not the "organ intro" version from 12 X 5) (Norman Meade) 2:58
5. "What a Shame" 3:03
6. "Grown Up Wrong" (originally released on 12 X 5) 1:50
Side two
No. Title Length
7. "Down the Road Apiece" (Don Raye) 2:55
8. "Under the Boardwalk" (originally released on 12 X 5) (Arthur Resnick/Kenny Young) 2:48
9. "I Can't Be Satisfied" (Muddy Waters) 3:26
10. "Pain in My Heart" (Allen Toussaint) 2:11
11. "Off the Hook" 2:38
12. "Susie Q" (originally released on 12 X 5) (Dale Hawkins/Stan Lewis/Eleanor Broadwater) 1:51

Personnel:
Mick Jagger – lead vocals, harmonica, tambourine, percussion
Keith Richards – electric guitar, backing vocals
Brian Jones – electric, acoustic, and slide guitars, keyboards, harmonica, percussion, backing vocals
Bill Wyman – bass guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts – drums, percussion

Additional personnel:
Jack Nitzsche – piano, sound effects ('Nitzsche' phone), tambourine
Ian Stewart – piano

What are your thoughts about this album?

Down home girl is great. Listen to Bill and Mick on the Hyde Park version also. What a shame is good. Down the road has one of Keiths best Berry intros and fills ever, Keiths number. I can't be satisfied is one of their best covers ever. Brian is so great and the band is hot. Solo number Brian really. The rest is not important. Off the hook is ok.

Date: May 15, 2015 14:14

I would say that You Can't Catch Me and Time Is On My Side (this is the guitar version) are pretty good as well.

I've always liked Pain In My Heart (especially the live versions) and ENSTL as well.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 15, 2015 14:25

Down Home Girl is a masterpiece. The album is worth it for this track alone but when you get the revved up, speedin' down the highway glory of You Can't Catch Me, well you know you're onto a major winner.

And with Down The Road Apiece also coming up soon then you've got some of the best of the Brian led Rollin' Stones.

Look out for that souped up mini though. Heh heh.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 15, 2015 17:52

Nikkei
Brian is so <snipped> great on I Can't Be Satisfied

Yes, people should be honest, if that means they go to jail and places sued for million for bigotry, so be it. We have had a one-sided deal going on here, time it was even and equal.

Those who use bigotted term as the situation of 15 years ago seems to reference, pay $ 1 million dollars, for each infraction,

That means if it happened 1oo times, that extreme abuse and prejudice is paid for as much as if i were to use epithets against someone.

As it is, bringing up these situations, seems inherently unfair.

We will let the police handle it. Anyone accosting, etc. also, goes to jail if it is outside the law.

Capiche!

This is the only fair alternative for people who provoke something, if I pilloried a woman with discriminatory terms in the work place, she may well cuss as well.

We've had enough of this, I don't make other people eat my trash.

I don't put people's welfare in danger and I don't steal jobs.

THIS MEANS IF YOU REFER TO PEOPLE"S PERSONAL SITUATIONS,

THE WHIP COMES DOWN ON PEOPLE WHO ABUSE OTHERS, do we all understand that???

We have had enough of this kind of trouble, those who have acted "predatorily" for a good 2 years via the kind of fun one should have here, should be branded as "predators" just as much as those who denied work, respect to others in the past. Understand!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 18:10 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 15, 2015 18:00

Still better than their debut, but the same concept: Blues/Rock traditionals and the first steps in selfwriting. Down the Road Apiece is a master track for all generations of Rock musicians, especially the guitar handling by Keith. Susi Q as "punk" version against the background of the CCR-version. It is puzzling that this young band recorded no weak track on their second album. Twelve tracks, twelve classics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 18:02 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Chess4710 ()
Date: May 15, 2015 18:42

A real group effort. Mick seems heavily influenced by Otis Redding around this time, recording a few of his numbers and flexing his own version of Memphis soul vocals.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 15, 2015 20:10

One of their weaker efforts. Especially Side 2 drags. Much prefer 12X5 and NOW!
But apart from the UK debut, those albums 12X5, No. 2, NOW!, the UK and US versions of Out Of Our Heads and December's Children are a hodge-podge of different tracks from different sessions done in the UK and the US. The UK / US albums were compiled by Oldham and were the result of different marketing strategies on each continent.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 17, 2019 07:37

The Rolling Stones No. 2 - My rating 5 out of 10

A few tracks from 12 X 5 fill out this particular album, but "No. 2" is still it's own thing in a way. "Time Is On My Side" is the most essential Rolling Stones track by a long shot, but there's still a decent amount of good music to enjoy here.

1. Everybody Needs Somebody to Love - Great song by an amazing band. This is still a winner for the Stones live. I'm just not sure exactly why this particular studio recording doesn't seem to jump out of the speakers like it should in theory.

2. Down Home Girl - This was a first time listen for me, and I really enjoyed it! Pretty standard bluesy shuffle, but it still rocked nice.

3. You Can't Catch Me - These guys are pretty good! Awesome drumming, guitars just bouncing around, and vocals that are right on target. This is when a fantastic band sounds like a well-tuned machine, making it all sound easy.

4. Time Is on My Side - With the guitar intro, this is probably the definitive version of this great song that the Stones totally make their own. A classic for sure.

5. What a Shame - Guitar and harmonica just leaps out of the speakers on this one, as the Stones already sound like masters of the blues. This is how to rock the blues with confidence.

6. Grown Up Wrong - As I noted in my "12 X 5" review, this song just sounds completely sloppy and unpleasant to my ears. So, this just might make the list of my least favorite Rolling Stones songs.

7. Down the Road Apiece - Enjoyable Chuck Berry-esque rocker with some fun guitars, but hardly essential.

8. Under the Boardwalk - I can hardly think of a song more unsuited to the Stones than this tune, though I'm sure there must be one. I've never liked this song, and the Stones don't really do anything special with it that changes my mind.

9. I Can't Be Satisfied - A sharp and focused blues with a snappy rhythm and good production. Meat and potatoes blues never gets old.

10. Pain in My Heart - This one wasn't working for me very much at all in songwriting or performance. The different elements added up to less than the sum of its parts.

11. Off the Hook - This is just a silly little ditty that sounds incredibly dated now, and a little sloppy in the performance as well. It's almost a novelty song. But come on, how can anyone not like this tune?

12. Susie Q - The Stones just don't bring anything unique to this classic tune.

Keepers: Down Home Girl, You Can't Catch Me, Time Is on My Side, What a Shame, I Can't Be Satisfied, Off the Hook

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home