Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Gear Web Page
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 1, 2019 04:30

Rolling Stones Gear Web Page:
[www.gregstackhouseprevost.com]

Re: Rolling Stones Gear Web Page
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 1, 2019 08:07

Unfortunately there are errors in that book.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 1, 2019 14:34

Such as?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 2, 2019 07:34

There are errors in any book. Why don't you amplify and elaborate on your comment?

plexi

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 2, 2019 09:33

Of course all books have errors.
Especially books like this where, in addition to the odd error or oversight, research often has to rely on so many vague and conflicting sources of information .

I can't often justify or afford expensive books...but I pushed the boat out to buy this one when it came out and it's a really great read.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 2, 2019 12:33

The book should have avoided getting in to the whole who plays what as this is where the many errors occur. Errors on dates of photos and what is used on tracks too though.

But, co author of the stones book, Greg, doesn't care if there are mistakes, so hey ho. He does not take kindly to mistakes being pointed out to him.

The Beatles variant is much better as it mostly avoids the personal stuff etc etc. Greg had nothing to do with The Beatles Gear book, maybe that's why it's better. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

In saying all that, it's still a cool as @#$%& book to own. thumbs up

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 12:46 by His Majesty.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 2, 2019 15:59

Date: September 2, 2019 16:06

Greg had less input into the book than Andy.
And why would a comment "there are errors" be the first comment to come re. such a work? I know that book took years and years of pain staking research. Hundreds of pages, of images. And we as readers, might be skimming through it, taking it all for granted. But the Stones' history was very different from the Beatles, where everything was chronicled. Obviously, no Net. So a single pic of an obscure acoustic guitar could have taken quite some time to locate. I think it is a fantastic labor of love.
Then opening themselves up to this kind of scrutiny and 'criticism'. Had the Dalton book, or Roy Carr's been released nowadays they would have been skewered.

I agree with Phil (Majesty) that track credits, who played what, is a whole separate field, and the errors are in those areas. And maybe a post-release edit phase where people like Phil and Mathijs could have helped them out would have made it even better. But maybe the authors were ready to be done with it.

Edit - On a separate note, I thought you were starting another one of your big threads, ExileStones. One on Stones Gear. we have the Ratbag Boogie threads, classics. But it would be pretty fantastic to have a thread devoted to all the guitars, Mellotrons, early synths, Oragans, Shakers, Drums, bass, PA..hmm..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 16:09 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: September 2, 2019 17:00

Palace Revolution 2000

And why would a comment "there are errors" be the first comment to come re. such a work?

Greg's attitude might have something to do with it.

He wilfully ignores info which shows something is not what he claims it is. Yes the book is cool, but it doesn't take that much to identify guitars etc.

The fact they have spent years working on it makes the errors all the more frustrating. The revised Beatles Gear book is much improved, maybe a revised stones one will come out in future. It certainly needs revising.

Date: September 2, 2019 20:57

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

And why would a comment "there are errors" be the first comment to come re. such a work?

Greg's attitude might have something to do with it.

He wilfully ignores info which shows something is not what he claims it is. Yes the book is cool, but it doesn't take that much to identify guitars etc.

The fact they have spent years working on it makes the errors all the more frustrating. The revised Beatles Gear book is much improved, maybe a revised stones one will come out in future. It certainly needs revising.
It's a lot more than identifying guitars. Context, and history of the instrument. other instrumentation. Lining it up chronologically. Trying to make sense of this one guitar in a picture e.g
I have noting invested in this book. But 660 pages, and it's "oh but you made a mistake". It would be next to impossible to not make them.

And again: we could do it here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 20:58 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: September 3, 2019 12:17

My etc covered that. It isn't hard.

Were it just a few mistakes, fair enough, but it's not. The book is still cool despite them, but no need to get all angsty when people bring them up. They are a feature of the book. grinning smiley

Were it mine I would gladly take on board backed up corrections, but instead we get "I don't care".

Date: September 3, 2019 12:18

timbernardis
There are errors in any book. Why don't you amplify and elaborate on your comment?

plexi

Claiming Micawber is a 54 tele says it all. What a joke. Very nice pictures in the book though.

[www.premierguitar.com]

Date: September 3, 2019 12:20

Koen
Such as?

See above.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 3, 2019 13:31

I like Keith's 1967 Fender Custom Telecaster ,double bound alder body with the maple neck that he uses on YCAGWYW and Tumbling Dice . I looked up this guitar in the Stones Guitars and amps book and this guitar originally came with a 3 ply white black white pickguard (early CBS era ) , and Keith in addition to having a chunk of wood removed from the neck position for a Humbucker (PAF ) Keith at first had a chunk of wood removed in between the bridge pickup and the neck pickup for a humbucker (PAF) .So that's why this guitar has a non original black pickguard , which always made me scratch my head about the non correct single ply black pickguard . Mystery solved . For purists the headstock logo only says Fender Telecaster as Fender stopped putting on the "Custom " in front of Telecaster , must have been part of the Tiffany Networks budget cuts to save on having stickers printed for the headstock . Don't laugh as the bean counters were cutting and slashing everywhere they could !

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 3, 2019 14:17

TheGreek
I like Keith's 1967 Fender Custom Telecaster ,double bound alder body with the maple neck that he uses on YCAGWYW and Tumbling Dice . I looked up this guitar in the Stones Guitars and amps book and this guitar originally came with a 3 ply white black white pickguard (early CBS era ) , and Keith in addition to having a chunk of wood removed from the neck position for a Humbucker (PAF ) Keith at first had a chunk of wood removed in between the bridge pickup and the neck pickup for a humbucker (PAF) .So that's why this guitar has a non original black pickguard , which always made me scratch my head about the non correct single ply black pickguard . Mystery solved . For purists the headstock logo only says Fender Telecaster as Fender stopped putting on the "Custom " in front of Telecaster , must have been part of the Tiffany Networks budget cuts to save on having stickers printed for the headstock . Don't laugh as the bean counters were cutting and slashing everywhere they could !

Its not a double bound Custom, its a standard 1967 Sunburst tele. It was rented for the shooting of the Tattoo You promo's, where it still had a middle pickup. Keith liked the guitar, bought it, and had Alan Rogan install new tuners, and a new pickguard with the woood filled in and proper PAF added.

Mathijs

Date: September 3, 2019 14:21

The "Sonny" Tele isn't a Custom Telecaster....it just looks like it's edge bound because the paint's worn off.winking smiley

Date: September 3, 2019 14:21

My gripe is that 1) it only shows a limited number of actual Stones instruments whereas 2) just about all instruments used by the Stones since the early 60's have known whereabouts, 3) much of the more detailed information has been taken from this very IORR board without acknowledgement and 4) much of the information not taken from this very IORR board is wrong.

And indeed Greg Prevost is a weird guy whom thinks he is a bigger rock star than Keith and absolutely hates discussions about mistakes in the book.

Mathijs

Date: September 3, 2019 17:39

Mathijs
My gripe is that 1) it only shows a limited number of actual Stones instruments whereas 2) just about all instruments used by the Stones since the early 60's have known whereabouts, 3) much of the more detailed information has been taken from this very IORR board without acknowledgement and 4) much of the information not taken from this very IORR board is wrong.

And indeed Greg Prevost is a weird guy whom thinks he is a bigger rock star than Keith and absolutely hates discussions about mistakes in the book.

Mathijs

Spot onsmileys with beer

Date: September 3, 2019 18:11

His Majesty
My etc covered that. It isn't hard.

Were it just a few mistakes, fair enough, but it's not. The book is still cool despite them, but no need to get all angsty when people bring them up. They are a feature of the book. grinning smiley

Were it mine I would gladly take on board backed up corrections, but instead we get "I don't care".

Yes...that attitude is annoying ...especially when folks might only be trying to help.

Date: September 3, 2019 21:16

Mathijs
TheGreek

Its not a double bound Custom, its a standard 1967 Sunburst tele. It was rented for the shooting of the Tattoo You promo's, where it still had a middle pickup. Keith liked the guitar, bought it, and had Alan Rogan install new tuners, and a new pickguard with the woood filled in and proper PAF added.

Mathijs
I have seen binding on the body of the guitar and on the treble bout if you were sitting playing it the place where your guitar would rest on your leg is where the binding is missing on the front of the guitar

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 4, 2019 01:23

JumpinJeppeFlash
Koen
Such as?

See above.

That’s it?

Date: September 4, 2019 12:59

TheGreek
Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs
I have seen binding on the body of the guitar and on the treble bout if you were sitting playing it the place where your guitar would rest on your leg is where the binding is missing on the front of the guitar

No that's not binding, that's wear. The lacquer has stripped off from the sides, making it appear like there is binding.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Date: September 4, 2019 13:32

Koen
JumpinJeppeFlash
Koen
Such as?

See above.

That’s it?

No, there are many more. However, that example shows a cardinal sin for a book like this one smiling smiley

Date: September 9, 2019 19:27

Mathijs
TheGreek
Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

No that's not binding, that's wear. The lacquer has stripped off from the sides, making it appear like there is binding.

Mathijs

Mathijs
Ok, I stand corrected .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home