Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones On Tour in LIFE Magazine, 1972
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: February 19, 2012 05:17

From July, 1972 issue.

[books.google.ca]

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Re: The Stones On Tour in LIFE Magazine, 1972
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 19, 2012 07:36

Thanks for that.

Some how I got a copy of that issue very long after its 1972 publication. Garage sale? I do not remember, but it was just an awesome find. Later it disappeared. I think my older brother took it out one night to a party and sold it for a couple of joints -- without telling me, or sharing. He is still such an ass-hole!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 07:37 by deadegad.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2012 08:43

What a crappy, florid reporter. Half of what he/she asserts is absolute garbage. And of course they repeat the myth that SFTD was playing at Altamont during the killing. There was absolutely no mention of Charlie or Bill. I guess at this stage their background was not as well known as now, or the reporter would have been openly laughed at.

Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 19, 2012 17:29

I agree with you 24FPS, that reporter is lame. Even calls Mick Taylor clean cut! lol Basically says San Francisco has lost it's freakdom which we can all laugh at now. And no Bill or Charlie, that is disgraceful!

We have to remember this was the era of Nixon and all. Just looking at all the ad's and articles we can see just how sexually frustrated the average Americans must have been at the time. A far cry from the images of Nellcote taken at the same time.

He talks about the Coke pin MJ wears but we all see it was Keith's patch at the time. Funny to hear the turned down the Indy motor speedway as not being what rock and roll was about...in only a few years it's exactly what rock and roll became.

In all reading that issue of Time made me feel very uncomfortable, what a strange time it was. Good thing I was not old enough at the time to be much effected by it all. What was on Sat morning cartoons was more my concerns. Great photo of Rose Taylor though, and Keith applying his own makeup, what's up with that? peace

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: February 19, 2012 17:43

Bought it July 1972 in Locarno / Switzerland and still have it.
Turned twenty that month back then. And that means ... Oh my Gaaaawwwd!!!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 19, 2012 17:44

Mick Taylor WAS cleancut in the early years with the band.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2012 20:32

The reporter mentions that the 5 members are millionaires many times over. That would have been great news to Charlie, Bill & Mick Taylor, who lived on tour money and scant mechanical royalties, much of which was still tied up with Allen Klein. No wonder LIFE magzine went under not soon after!

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: February 19, 2012 20:40

No offense, but I am sick and tired of hearing about 1972! My focus is on 2012!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: February 19, 2012 20:58

stonescrow

My focus is on 1492.
"I think that could be a good year for a tour of America"-- Chris Columbus

More seriously, I think it's interesting to think about 2012 in context of 1972.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:44

There was line in a "editorial" section of LIFE magazine, near the front as I recall, from this issue or one shortly after in '72, that contained a line that I always loved, even though the author didn't intent any love with it. Paraphrasing:

"The show was so loud that the only way to discern which song was being played was to plug your ears."

THAT is awesome! How I wish the Stones of today would be like that.

But now, they don't play any louder than most church bands. Or at least, the GUITARS are nowhere near that loud.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:11

Phil Good
Bought it July 1972 in Locarno / Switzerland and still have it.
Turned twenty that month back then. And that means ... Oh my Gaaaawwwd!!!

Did you really buy it in Der Schweiz or did my F'in brother sell my copy to you?!?!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 20, 2012 08:45

stonescrow

No offense, but if you're not interested in rock history and historical Stones...and discussion about how they were depicted contemporaneously in the media...why read the thread?

smiling smiley
swiss

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 20, 2012 09:54

How can it be 40 years ago... already?

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: February 20, 2012 13:36

so many cigarettes adds ?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 20, 2012 13:40

Protein pills. The secret for staying thin.
Thank you for the link

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 20, 2012 16:53

swiss
stonescrow

No offense, but if you're not interested in rock history and historical Stones...and discussion about how they were depicted contemporaneously in the media...why read the thread?

smiling smiley
swiss

Hi swiss, still as sharp as a knife! winking smiley.

The Stones is all about contemporary history, with many interesting social, cultural, musical and societal aspects. Especially during the sixties and early seventies. Things seemed to change so much faster back then.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 19:04

24FPS
What a crappy, florid reporter. Half of what he/she asserts is absolute garbage. And of course they repeat the myth that SFTD was playing at Altamont during the killing. There was absolutely no mention of Charlie or Bill. I guess at this stage their background was not as well known as now, or the reporter would have been openly laughed at.

Thanks for posting.

Its funny to read old articles - they all seem to have that same florid style. And yes, so much of the Stones press in those days was dominated by the whole 'satanic' image, which is funny now.....
THe Life article was the first Stones item I borrowed from my high school library....that place was a veritable goldmine for Stones articles in mainstream press circa 65-75. I was shameless.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 25, 2012 09:51

kleermaker
swiss
stonescrow

smiling smiley
swiss

The Stones is all about contemporary history, with many interesting social, cultural, musical and societal aspects. Especially during the sixties and early seventies. Things seemed to change so much faster back then.

hi kleermaker! I just came back a couple of weeks ago - hope you have been well. Good to "see" you smiling smiley

- swiss

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 25, 2012 10:45

Hi Swiss. Wanna join my band, called The Banned?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 25, 2012 12:15

According to another page of that LIFE, Angela Davis was appearing in public that year behind a seven-foot bulletproof screen, for fear of assassination. Mick is reported to have had his own fears on that score, but the show went on.

Reading between the lines, I don't think that reporter actually likes Stones music very much.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:00

swiss
kleermaker
swiss
stonescrow

smiling smiley
swiss

hi kleermaker! I just came back a couple of weeks ago - hope you have been well. Good to "see" you smiling smiley

- swiss

I read a post of you (to my surprise) and that inspired me to ask Bjornulf to unban me and he just said "Welcome back!" That was great.

I'm fine. How about you? I remember you moved from Maine to California. Must be a big difference.

Iorr without swiss and kleermaker is just not completewinking smiley.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:06

Life, at that time was a widely accepted magazine with a readership of millions. That cover pic was special. I think it gave all Stones fans goose bumps when issue hit the news stands. Yep- a great moment in the Stones' and fans' journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 18:09 by Chris Fountain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home