Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Can't you hear me nickin' - Lost 1970 guitar solo from Mick Taylor .. Prank or real?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 1, 2019 17:03

I balanced to post this it "MT What's on your mind", but this other thread is to busy talking about other guitarists than MT...

So, what do you think of this ? A fake ? I looked for "Pepe Le Pew studio" in France, seems a prank...

[www.youtube.com]

shatnershairpiece
Published on 17 Aug 2017
Super rare alternate take from the Rolling Stones Sticky fingers sessions in 1970. A segment of the jam was found on an acetate single as a B side to another unreleased Stones song called 'Keef's teeth'.

Originally called 'Can't you hear me nickin'?' as a tongue in cheek tribute to Nicky Hopkins, this session features an absolutely brilliant extended 1 hour plus solo from Mick Taylor, incorporating a new scale he had developed called 'minoxidilian', which had previously been used to prevent hair loss. Mick had insisted on the extended jam session, as he had been feeling creatively stifled, and forced the band to play at gun point. "I have at least one really, really, extended solo in me. It needs to come out." said Taylor in a Rolling Stone interview while they recorded at Pepe Le Pew studio in France. When Mick and Keith refused to put the 1 hour solo on the album, Mick quit the band three years later.

"My resentment kept building after that snub." recalls Mick. "I wanted to quit earlier than I did and join the Jack Bruce band, as Jack had promised me I could solo for days, but I needed the Stones tour money to buy strings and pay off Bill Wyman for his expensive stage presence lessons, which helped me immensely. I can't believe they butchered my solo down to 2 minutes on the Sticky fingers album. After they refused to put out a double album with my solo on it, I tried to play the entire solo during our Brussels gig, but they still said it was too long and people would get bored. Bollocks!"

According to bassist Bill Wyman, who had been giving Taylor 'Stage presence' lessons, and taught Taylor how to stop moving and look bored, Taylor had been snorting dandruff from Keith Richard's unconscious head for at least three hours on the sessions that day.

"He was off the rails. But we all were. I am sure he played at least half that solo with his feet. In those days we thought we could do anything. Too bad we didn't have those go pro cameras then! Whenever Keith passed out on the bathroom floor, which was daily, I would teach Mick how to eliminate unnecessary movement on stage and avoid smiling. Conserve energy! That was my motto, and I was happy to see Mick doing the same. Nothing turned on the girls more than our total lack of interest. It was counterpoint to Jagger's constant dancing, which we always found garish."

Wyman's expression goes wistful. "I liked jammin' with Mick on that extended solo. A couple times Charlie fell asleep and I had to kick him. We turned the lights off and got naked while playin'. Jammin' was the rage at that time, but most people weren't ready for that advanced level of self indulgence. Sure, the five minute guitar solo had already been developed, but no one had attempted it for over an hour. No one had dared. Okay, I once saw Peter Green hit 9 minutes but he got dizzy, wobbled and had to sit down for the rest of the show. It was embarrassing to see. This wasn't for the old codgers. Mick was only 20 years old. Not even in his prime yet. He was treading fantastic new ground, like the Apollo program. He was also very protective of the minoxidil scale he had developed and would hide behind the amps or leave the stage whenever he played it live, so other guitar players could not see what he was doing and steal it. Of course, when Taylor suggested they put the solo out as a double or even triple album, Keith nicked the double album idea for 'Exile on Main street'. That probably helped Mick's decision to leave the band."

In 2017, Mick reminisces about the lost tapes. "I honestly don't even remember doing this solo. Good, innit? The minoxidil scale is still one of the best!"

Re: Can't you hear me nickin' - Lost 1970 guitar solo from Mick Taylor .. Prank or real?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 1, 2019 17:09

Wyman's expression goes wistful. "I liked jammin' with Mick on that extended solo. A couple times Charlie fell asleep and I had to kick him. We turned the lights off and got naked while playin'.

Mmm.. Doubtful...

Re: Can't you hear me nickin' - Lost 1970 guitar solo from Mick Taylor .. Prank or real?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 1, 2019 17:20

The Joker
minoxidil scale?

Huh huh huh!

The same prankster has made another looped joke :

Before Mick Taylor quit the Stones at the end of 1974, he made another attempt to record an extended instrumental he called 'My solo waits for no one'. Jagger liked the melody, added lyrics, changed the title to 'Time waits for no one' and then gave writing credits to himself and Keith Richards. Not many people know this, but the famous mouth and lips logo for the Stones came about from Jagger's constant refusal to give song writing credit to Taylor.

Taylor would inevitably see the album on release, then ask 'Hey, Mick, where's me song writin' credits?" Jagger would stick out his tongue at Taylor and laugh. "Wot? I can't hear you knockin'. Wot?" Keith would momentarily wake from his blood transfusion procedure and also laugh, then pass out again. Needless to say, Mick Taylor was not impressed. He recorded the 42 minute solo on his 4 track tascam and would sell tapes of it through mail order. In 2017, Mick talks for the first time about his mail order company. "I was fed up with Mick and Keith! Always stealing my ideas, never puttin' me on the credits. I had to sell my solos through the mail to get my royalties, proper! I even shortened this solo by 20 minutes compared to 'Can't you hear me nickin', which they also had refused to release, and that was still not good enough.

At least with mail order, I sold enough cassettes to buy a really good afro wig, which I started to wear on the Stone's tours, just to piss off Mick and take attention away from him." When shown the afro picture that plays during this video, Mick was aghast. "Oy! What was I thinking? It's like I wanted to be Billy Preston." When asked what part of the massive solo was his favorite, Mick's face lights up. "You hear that part at 8:22? I really got in the zone. I remember I was thinking a lot about what I was going to have for lunch after I was done playing. Chips? Mash? Bubble and squeak? I got really emotional with the choices. My stomach was growling at the time and that also inspired me. Normally, the solo would have been over an hour, but I had to eat!" When asked if he could change anything about the instrumental, Mick replied: "Oh yeah. I should have smacked Billy Preston.

He was overplaying the piano, trying to show off! You can hear him, he's purposely playing the same piano arpeggio riff over and over again. Not very creative or imaginative. I would glare at him from time to time, but he didn't care. That was the last time I ever played with Billy. Can't have two virtuosos in the same song."

[www.youtube.com]

The guy knows too much about the band to not be an IORR regular... smoking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-01 17:28 by dcba.

Date: September 1, 2019 17:57

Must be our TonyMo grinning smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 1, 2019 18:11

Pure parody.

The tone is the most obvious giveaway, but there are many more.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 1, 2019 18:38

DandelionPowderman
Must be our TonyMo grinning smiley

It's Doxa in a playful mode!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 1, 2019 18:46

It's not even a good fake

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home