Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

what process to use to compare albums.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 23, 2019 01:15

we all from time to time compare songs, albums ets, was just wondering if folk have a process to compare albums or is it just a natural and obvious answer.

was always a bit confused between goats head soup and its only rock and roll, ghs seemed to have better songs at the top end but iorr had more good songs, so do you include all songs, even the ones you dont like, or just count the songs you like, i added in some girls and came up with 2 processes and got 2 different results.

process 1. i listed in order the best to worst song on each album, i compared the top songs on each album, then the next 2, than so on, till i compared the bottom songs on each album.

each comparison scored a song 3 points, then 2 points, then 1 to go towards the album it represents.

process 2, i scored each song out of 10, then added up to score each album separately.

the results i got after process 1 where as follows.

its only rock and roll 21 points
some girls 21 points
goats head soup 18 points.

so using this process iorr and sg are jointly better than ghs.

using process 2 it scored

its only rock and roll 68 points
goats head soup 68 points
some girls 64 points

so iorr and ghs score jointly higher than sg.

i added the scores together

and it totalled.

its only rock and roll 89 points.

goats head soup 86 points.

some girls 85 points.

so clearly some contradictions and confusion.

i knew it would be a close contest, and will do this for other albums.

what do people think, how do you score albums.

Re: what process to use to compare albums.
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 23, 2019 01:20

I don't score them, and have very little interest in those lists people post up scoring songs on albums. I do like to read considered opinions of songs/albums.

I just know that some albums have made a stronger impact on my mind, and I find myself listening to them more frequently. I am also very aware that my state of mind, location, mood, age etc can have a big impact on how much I enjoy an album (in the long or short term).

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 23, 2019 01:28

Booze & Pills & Powders, choose your medicine.
And then an album.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 23, 2019 01:30

Nice advice, Paddy
smileys with beer
drinking smiley
smoking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 23, 2019 02:11

peoplewitheyes
I don't score them, and have very little interest in those lists people post up scoring songs on albums. I do like to read considered opinions of songs/albums.

I just know that some albums have made a stronger impact on my mind, and I find myself listening to them more frequently. I am also very aware that my state of mind, location, mood, age etc can have a big impact on how much I enjoy an album (in the long or short term).

Three thumbs up because that's the case ..................thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 23, 2019 02:47

buttons67
we all from time to time compare songs, albums ets, was just wondering if folk have a process to compare albums or is it just a natural and obvious answer.

was always a bit confused between goats head soup and its only rock and roll, ghs seemed to have better songs at the top end but iorr had more good songs, so do you include all songs, even the ones you dont like, or just count the songs you like, i added in some girls and came up with 2 processes and got 2 different results.

process 1. i listed in order the best to worst song on each album, i compared the top songs on each album, then the next 2, than so on, till i compared the bottom songs on each album.

each comparison scored a song 3 points, then 2 points, then 1 to go towards the album it represents.

process 2, i scored each song out of 10, then added up to score each album separately.

the results i got after process 1 where as follows.

its only rock and roll 21 points
some girls 21 points
goats head soup 18 points.

so using this process iorr and sg are jointly better than ghs.

using process 2 it scored

its only rock and roll 68 points
goats head soup 68 points
some girls 64 points

so iorr and ghs score jointly higher than sg.

i added the scores together

and it totalled.

its only rock and roll 89 points.

goats head soup 86 points.

some girls 85 points.

so clearly some contradictions and confusion.

i knew it would be a close contest, and will do this for other albums.

what do people think, how do you score albums.

...it was my understanding there would be no math...

[vimeo.com]

I used to think "Beggars" was the best...I'm now in the "Let it Bleed" camp.

I couldn't really tell you why.

I do think "Gimme Shelter" is the best Stones song...though I think "Sympathy for the Devil" is the Best Rock n' Roll song ever....

Exile was once my #1...mostly for it's less-marketed genius (Torn & Frayed, Loving Cup, Sweet Black Angel...this sort of thing).

that's about the most unsophisticated scoring system ever....so, basically I just muddied the waters...sorry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home