Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
hot rocks lps shelley
Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: June 15, 2006 02:32

anyone got the double lp hot rocks set..the original pressing with the shelley engraved on it which on the fourth side has the -supposedly from- gimme shelter movie versions of wild horses and brown sugar???

its pretty hard to find and i can't help but share my good fortune just having found a copy of it for $5 at used bookstore/old records store....

i really like the different version of brown sugar..

i collect vinyl and have looked through hundreds of used copies always looking for the shelley and 11-18-71 stamp in the groove.... finally found it..could nto believe it..

i even have a shelley with the 12-5-71 stamp in the groove but that has the common versions of brown sugar and wild horses...

anyone know why this was released like this in the first place? mistake? anyone else come across this?

Re: hot rocks lps shelley
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 15, 2006 04:38

I too own a copy of the "Shelley " Lp . I paid quite a bit more for it though . I've seen them advertised for # 100.00 US or more on ebay .

Supposedly the tracks were demos and Eric Clapton was playing on both . They were rushed out without final approval and quickly recalled

Date: June 15, 2006 04:53

so you have not heard that they are the same tracks on "gimme shelter"?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2006 05:49

A MODERN MYTH REALIZED:
THE HISTORY OF "HOT ROCKS"

By John Rutherford June 1995

ROCKMAN

Date: June 15, 2006 05:55

thanks for posting that rockman!

there's definetly a lot more copies than 11 around but i'm not sure how many....

i went on popsike and there were a few transactions that had occured of the shelley lps..

i've spent a good two-three years checking hot rocks for this...so i'm very excited....

i love the version of brown sugar..it has some distinctive differences and i knew within five seconds myself...

i was so excited i almost told the guy at the record store but then thought twice and took off...

this variant of hot rocks is now listed in record price guides with a near mint value of $1000 but i think thats far overstating what one would get on ebay..

i will never part with mine though.. i worked hard to get it!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:02

If anybody just wants to hear them,
but can't find the originals, they
are apparantly on the Yellow Dog
Black Box Bonus disc (YD2000),
which claims they are taken from
the withdrawn USA "Hot Rocks"
album....................

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:06

Could some kind soul post an mp3 of that alt version of Brown Sugar?

Thanks!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:41

Ha...thanks for posting my article...As everyone knows by now, there are hundreds of copies in circulation....but its SO cool to find one...

Wait'll ya see the finished book....

JR

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:52

stone-relics, you wrote that article Rockman posted? That's pretty cool! What was the published in?

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 15, 2006 21:53

Don't you read Basement News, Cindy ?
I read that article when I was 14...very nice, stone-relics.

Date: June 15, 2006 22:13

No, I don't even no what that is. Is it an internet thing or a magazine?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 15, 2006 22:19

Yeah, JR....nice story, you old relic you.

Date: June 15, 2006 22:21

cindy,

Yes, Basement News....I write a lot of articles for it....I have a collection of about 3,000 vinyl Stones records...I am a very sick collector...

JR

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 15, 2006 22:23

CindyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, I don't even no what that is. Is it an
> internet thing or a magazine?

It's a magazine, that has been around since 1991. It's basically information about new official & unofficial LP/CD/DVD, but also some articles and setlists.
Very informative...not much pictures, glamour or gossips.
It's a bit info about it here:
[www.basement-news.de]

Date: June 15, 2006 22:32

Very interesting....

Thanks for the info. I stopped reading music magazines in the 90's for the most part, but I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it on here.

John, what records stores in Boston did you go to?

Date: June 15, 2006 22:37

CindyC asked:

>John, what records stores in Boston did you go to?

Its been a while...cant remember the names, but my friend Jon might remember. I have found about 10 copies since I wrote that article....I used to sell and trade them all over the world....got some GREAT records for them....

By the way, the Brown Sugar IS NOT, the one from Gimme Shelter, but real close....I love all that Shoals outtakes...I have a ton of it......

JR

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2006 10:28

Hey "stone relics" John......when I was scanning I was thinking,funny
if John Rutherford reads this...Hey man hope ya didn't mind.
I blanked out your address....

Good article by de way....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 16, 2006 13:58

Rock man, thanks for blocking it out!

Best,

JR

Date: June 19, 2006 18:26

There is one available on ebay , 5 hours left in the bidding . It now stands at $ 336.00 US

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: June 20, 2006 11:41

stone-relics Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------

> I love all that Shoals outtakes...I have a ton of it......

Maybe also some stuff that's not out in collector's world?! Most of those WildHorses - Brown Sugar - You gotta move takes got erased anyway.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 11:42 by Potted Shrimp.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 7, 2012 18:05

Thanks for the JR post Rockman. I just downloaded the Shelley Hot Rocks from Demonoid. Does anyone know which early USA Hot Rcoks had the long version of Paint It Black? (don't go by the credits)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 7, 2012 18:36

Great old thread! I see Boston has been in the thick of things for quite awhile!

I picked up the Shelley with the alt. Brown Sugar for about $70 on EBAY...VG++ condition.

I've also got the Shelley with the 12-3-71 etching, although I'm sure that isn't worth much.

Most notably, I have a sealed Hot Rocks with a gold promo stamp and the black sticker with the songs across the front.

Love to open it to see if it is a Shelley as well but can't bring myself to open this 40 year old curio.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 7, 2012 20:23

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 7, 2012 20:25

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 7, 2012 20:28

So it just has that Keith lead overdub we hear in Gimme Shelter? Otherwise sounds like the normal mix.

Date: April 7, 2012 21:17

treaclefingers
Great old thread! I see Boston has been in the thick of things for quite awhile!

I picked up the Shelley with the alt. Brown Sugar for about $70 on EBAY...VG++ condition.

I've also got the Shelley with the 12-3-71 etching, although I'm sure that isn't worth much.

Most notably, I have a sealed Hot Rocks with a gold promo stamp and the black sticker with the songs across the front.

Love to open it to see if it is a Shelley as well but can't bring myself to open this 40 year old curio.

Quite the conundrum with an old LP that is still sealed . You want to leave it sealed to have it keep its rarity and value but then again some unscrupulous person may have found a way to reseal LPs and put any old LP in there . I'm hoping nobody pulled anything shady on my still sealed Stones LPs

Date: April 8, 2012 01:02

Just spotted a copy on ebay if anyone is interested , bit pricey .

[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: April 8, 2012 04:57

Love to open it to see if it is a Shelley as well but can't bring myself to open this 40 year old curio.[/quote]

The banner song sticker across the front is a later pressing so very unlikely to have the 11-18-71 run off

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: April 8, 2012 07:48

hmmmm, I bought this album when it first came out ... and still have it. Definitely gonna have to check it out now.
------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2012 08:45

deardoctortake1

The banner song sticker across the front is a later pressing so very unlikely to have the 11-18-71 run off[/quote]

I vaguely recall reading that as well...I guess that means I should keep it sealed.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home