Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie Wood, 2019's Most Valuable Player
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 9, 2019 18:32

Clear eyed and apparently clear headed, Ronnie has been an inspiration to the band and fans alike on this tour. His parts are stinging and ferocious and no longer consist of half-hearted plucking that goes nowhere and then sputters out. He's had his moments in years past but nothing like this. He's found a kindred spirit in Karl Denson and between the two of them they are making sounds the Stones have never made before.

Monday night in NJ was not just inspired, the Stones were possessed. Even their auto-pilot shows are brilliant but this transcended that. Keith seemed aware of his limitations and actually appeared to step back and let Ronnie and Karl loose. The latter two appeared to wink and nod at each other and figuratively say, "We're in the greatest band in the world. Let's tear this sh*t up!"

Change my mind.

Re: Ronnie Wood, 2019's Most Valuable Player
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 9, 2019 23:00

Ronnies doing a great job but no more valuable than Mick , Keith and Charlie, Ronnie is paying us all back for those lost years where he played under the level he should have for many decades, he might feel this is his time to repay the Stones for their loyalty and the fans for their patience.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 9, 2019 23:02

I must be missing something

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2019 23:03

Ronnie still has a long ways to go to redeem himself keithsman. winking smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 9, 2019 23:05

Karl Denison's great; I've got him on Bitter End by Gov't Mule. I love him as a sax player.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 10, 2019 00:36

To me, Charlie is the most valuable player and always has been. He's the one to dance to. Without the context he provides, what the others do becomes ridiculous

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 10, 2019 00:56

Charlie Watts in the Stones MVP.

Date: August 10, 2019 01:03

Nikkei
To me, Charlie is the most valuable player and always has been. He's the one to dance to. Without the context he provides, what the others do becomes ridiculous

The Stones always have been ridiculous. That's both their weakness and strength. smoking smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 10, 2019 01:22

ronnie was great last year too.

i asked on this board if the current tour is better than the performances in warsaw, berlin and stuttgart last year, as i felt those 3 gigs were the best for years.

ive been tracking youtube videos from this tour but cant seem to find the level of performances from last year in songs like midnight rambler, paint it black and street fighting man where they played so intensively.

i know you cant always judge by youtube videos as they dont always reflect the real sound, so can anyone answer.

are they better on this tour than last.

Date: August 10, 2019 01:31

I maintain that their best tours always coincide with football world cups

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 10, 2019 01:42

Ronnie is playing very well...I don't think we need to go overboard with the accolades though.

He's simply playing at a baseline competence that he hasn't displayed in years past. It's heartening to see him playing with gusto and energy, but let's not act like he's blowing the walls out of the stadiums every night.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 10, 2019 02:08

Nikkei
I maintain that their best tours always coincide with football world cups

The "60 years and counting winter tour" should be great...

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 10, 2019 09:26

The Rolling Stones are a real band, this means protecting yourself and helping each other according to who needs it most. Ronnie is very important today and has to deal with Keith's problems. In the past it was on the contrary in some cases. This means being in a band! Ronnie has made some questionable performances in the past, due to his known problems, but he has always been there and when there was an important concert he usually has always played well.
The last tour of ABB tour in my opinion Mick realized that it was the end, Keith had problems, Ronnie had problems and he was tired of always taking on all the responsibilities, things have completely changed when Ronnie detoxified and Jagger and Keith realized that with Ronnie Wood clean they could still go on.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2019 09:41

Ronnie is THE most important musician in what is left of the Rolling Stones. Keith has knocked off a lot of rust, but it doesn't appear he'll ever get his fluidity back. Mick is Mick, great, but there's not much commitment in his voice. Charlie has slowed considerably. Ronnie is the only one on a greatness level. He is the most important musician on the Blue and Lonesome album.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 10, 2019 10:19

right, Ronnie is the most valuable player in this band. Without him the band wouldn't work anymore – someone has to play all the guitar parts Keith doesn't do anymore…

Date: August 10, 2019 12:57

Are there some video clips that showcase these great performances by Ronnie?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 10, 2019 14:52

Charlie Watts has arms of steel. He is tougher than a ninja turtle. Put Sunglasses on him and he could work for the CIA

21 days and counting to see him smash them cymbals!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 10, 2019 16:32

24FPS
Ronnie is THE most important musician in what is left of the Rolling Stones. Keith has knocked off a lot of rust, but it doesn't appear he'll ever get his fluidity back. Mick is Mick, great, but there's not much commitment in his voice. Charlie has slowed considerably. Ronnie is the only one on a greatness level. He is the most important musician on the Blue and Lonesome album.

yeah, give them youngsters a chance!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 10, 2019 17:25

Mick Jagger.

Lock thread.

Date: August 10, 2019 17:51

Bernard Fowler.

Dread Lock.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 10, 2019 20:04

Sly Stone.

Judge Dredd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-10 20:06 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 10, 2019 20:28

Yeah.. the headline misspells "Mick Jagger" winking smiley

Mick gets all the awards this leg.. MVP of the MVP's.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 10, 2019 20:53

I haven't seen any shows (in person) since 2007 but I thought that Ronnie played rather well for his doing on the ABB and 40Licks tours already.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: August 11, 2019 02:42

24FPS

Maybe it's time they brought Mick Taylor back to cover some of the missing guitar parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-11 02:48 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 11, 2019 03:08

TornAndFried
24FPS

Maybe it's time they brought Mick Taylor back to cover some of the missing guitar parts.

Their not going to do anything to improve the product at this point. Long as the suckers keep forking over the big bucks. Tinkly piano. Meandering noodle bass. The Rolling Stones are no longer about change. They are about playing out the string, cranking out the hits until they feel like stopping. Obviously the public is going to keep on paying for the same old thing. The excitement stopped almost twenty years ago.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 11, 2019 03:35

I vote for Chuck Leavell. thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2019 03:41

….. been waitin for that one …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 11, 2019 03:49

Koen
I vote for Matt Clifford

Date: August 11, 2019 10:01

StonedRambler
Koen
I vote for Matt Clifford

Tim gets my vote winking smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 11, 2019 11:36

I've always got the impression Ronnie has been the most replaceable core member of the band, with all due respect and i don't want this to sound like i would prefer another player to Ronnie at this stage, but someone like Waddy Wachtel could replace Ronnie after a weeks rehearsal with the Stones and do a very good job alongside Keith as we have seen with the Winos.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home