Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Dance Little Sister - unexplainable greatness
Date: February 17, 2012 18:40

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Sacke
Ok, Strat it is... Mick plays a Strat on Billy Preston's Live In Europe 1973 as well. Fun to hear, 'cause Taylor = Les Paul in my mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if he played Strat on Time Waits For No One and If You Can't Rock Me either.

Time Waits absolutely, IYCRM sounds more like a LP to me.

Mathijs

There's no way that's a Strat. Strat's sound thin. That's gotta be a Les Paul.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 17, 2012 18:44

GravityBoy
Jimmy Page on Keith Richards, interviewed by Wesley Strick in 1977 & reprinted in Jimmy Page Tangents Within A Framework:

"He's so good at what he does. It's a shame his personal life should be so exposed - that it should be allowed to interrupt what he's doing musically. Because he's the facade of what the Stones are doing. People get more into the outrage than the music sometimes which is a great pity. You only have to put on "Dance Little Sister" and you forgive the guy for anything. Keith's always been under the hammer. It's an imposed social karma which is bullshit."

EXCELLENT! Thanks GravityBoy...fantastic find!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 17, 2012 19:01

It's interesting that Keith gets much more respect from many genuine "heavy weight" musicians than he does from the typical "muso".

They recognise that, whilst not being a technical virtuoso, he is the ultimate groove player...with the ability to make the simplest music jump and sound interesting.

The reason we can still get off on Keith playing SMU is that he can still find a new accent, a different space in the beat to work.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 17, 2012 19:27

GravityBoy
Mathijs
I am quite sure Keith uses the neck humbucker of a Tele here. Taylor is on Strat.

Mathijs

How do you know, I'm doubting just curious.

The guitar sounds gritty and grainy to me like a P90 but what do I know, Keith can make them all sound the same anyway.

Because it is the exact sound of neck humbucker of a Tele. Warm, dark, moody, but still that ring and bite. Further, Judging on the few pics we have, and on the guitar Richards used from '73 to '75, the only contenders for open G playing is the Ted Newman Jones, the Dan Armstrong and the Tele. Keith lost the Newman Jones already in late '73, the DA he never used after the first couple of '72 shows. All other guitars (LP Junior, Custom, 355) always seemt to be strung 6 string. Amp is probably a small Fender like a Princeton or Deluxe, turned to 10.

Mathijs

Date: February 17, 2012 20:10

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Sacke
Ok, Strat it is... Mick plays a Strat on Billy Preston's Live In Europe 1973 as well. Fun to hear, 'cause Taylor = Les Paul in my mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if he played Strat on Time Waits For No One and If You Can't Rock Me either.

Mathijs

Strats sound thin? Not the good ones with a rosewood board! His tone is actually quite bright, emphesised by the phaser and a bit of delay. In the verses he does sound like the middle pickup, and the solo is the neck pickup. Quite the same sound can be achieved on a 355, but then you need to use the Varitone in the second or third position. But that sound is a bit more dry, not as lush as what is heard here.

As far as I know it is unknown whether Taylor did all the overdubs in several sessions after the tracks where actually recorded, but it does seem that way. And he does seem to favour his '63 Strat during this period.

Mathijs

Date: February 17, 2012 20:19

Mathijs
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Sacke

Mathijs

Strats sound thin? Not the good ones with a rosewood board! His tone is actually quite bright, emphesised by the phaser and a bit of delay. In the verses he does sound like the middle pickup, and the solo is the neck pickup. Quite the same sound can be achieved on a 355, but then you need to use the Varitone in the second or third position. But that sound is a bit more dry, not as lush as what is heard here.

As far as I know it is unknown whether Taylor did all the overdubs in several sessions after the tracks where actually recorded, but it does seem that way. And he does seem to favour his '63 Strat during this period.

Mathijs

I've always thought of it as thin sounding, overall. That's not 'bad', it just doesn't have the body of a Epiphone or Gibson or Les Paul. Of course it shouldn't exactly, seeing that they have a thin body.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 20:22

Spud
It's interesting that Keith gets much more respect from many genuine "heavy weight" musicians than he does from the typical "muso".

They recognise that, whilst not being a technical virtuoso, he is the ultimate groove player...with the ability to make the simplest music jump and sound interesting.

The reason we can still get off on Keith playing SMU is that he can still find a new accent, a different space in the beat to work.

nailed it! smileys with beer

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 17, 2012 20:26

Spud

Great thoughts!

Has anyone had any experience with other music fans about this track? On the surface this song can easily be dismissed as one can completely overlook the greatness of this track. But with a careful ear, the magic reveals itself.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: February 17, 2012 21:03

I always thought that the lead guitar was Keith . Like the solo that sounds like someone is using a whammybar sounds like Keith . Does anyone else think that ? And on the song " BITCH " I was told that the lead solo was Keith but in an interview with Mick Taylor he said it was himself trying to sound like Keith . Any thoughts ?

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 17, 2012 21:16

pmk251
There is very little on GHS or IORR that does not sound strained. DLS is a perfect example. How do you explain the dead end riff on If You Can't Rock Me? The albums are neither fun nor sexy. Generally speaking, even Taylor's playing does not save the day. There is some experimentation in there, but much of it feels halfhearted. It was time for a break, but it ended up being the beginning of a long slow death.

I completely disagree. These two albums explored new sounds in a fascinating manner...in fact, one can actually claim that in no other 2 album stretch in their career (GHS & IORR -- what you claim as "the beginning of a long slow death")) did the Stones experiment as much with texture, feel, and song structure as they did on these two releases, (with the obvious exception of Satanic Majesties&Beggar's Banquet). The results may not represent the apex of the Stones' art, but with every passing year these two albums gain increasing resonance and allure. One must also remember to contextualize these albums in their Zeitgest -- the peak of Glam Rock...and both provide glorious glammy decadence in abundance.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 18, 2012 00:17

both albums are great, very great

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 18, 2012 00:26

video: [youtu.be]

I like the extended outtake with the 2nd bridge better. Better mix I think.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 18, 2012 01:01

jamesfdouglas

That's the LP take unedited with a full mix with a fade out unfortunately. The editing was a great job, the mix too.

Date: February 18, 2012 11:31

kittypoo
I always thought that the lead guitar was Keith . Like the solo that sounds like someone is using a whammybar sounds like Keith . Does anyone else think that ? And on the song " BITCH " I was told that the lead solo was Keith but in an interview with Mick Taylor he said it was himself trying to sound like Keith . Any thoughts ?

The lead guitar on Dance LS is as Taylor as can be, the lead guitar on Bitch is as Keith as can be.

Mathijs

Date: February 18, 2012 13:14

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
jamesfdouglas

That's the LP take unedited with a full mix with a fade out unfortunately. The editing was a great job, the mix too.
I know the thread is about the guitars, but esp. on the youtube version: ALL I can hear is fantastic Bill Wyman.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 18, 2012 16:34

This track just shouts STONES at me. Pure rock-n-roll.

If they continue this opening of the vaults of live shows, I would love to hear a clean recording of this track from El Mocombo.

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: February 18, 2012 17:34

Jimmy Page has said that Dance Little Sister is one of his favorite Stones tracks.

Who woulda' thunk?

Chris M.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 18, 2012 17:45

buffalo7478
This track just shouts STONES at me. Pure rock-n-roll.

If they continue this opening of the vaults of live shows, I would love to hear a clean recording of this track from El Mocombo.

Absolutely.

The El Mocambo set must be released.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 18, 2012 19:04

ghs and iorr are both awesome!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 18, 2012 21:53

microvibe
ghs and iorr are both awesome!

Lot of people still think that there is life after EOMS..........i am one of them

And please, release the el chupongo club concert in Toronto 1977

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 19, 2012 09:44

KeithNacho
IORR is a great album!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree!

GravityBoy
The "jump out of Africa.." break is great.

Yes, it always sends shivers down my spine!

Date: February 19, 2012 11:58

Mathijs
kittypoo

The lead guitar on Dance LS is as Taylor as can be, the lead guitar on Bitch is as Keith as can be.

Mathijs

Anyone who's listened to the Stones for a long time (and we've had decades to do so) should be able to distinguish between the personal styles of the musicians. Mick Taylor's style is a very fluid melodic jazz-blues virtuousity; faster and more complex licks than Keith could ever come close to.. Keith's style is a much simpler shoot from the hip, make it up as you go Chuck Berry - Blues thing, with enough of a boatload of feeling to make me love it no matter how simple it is. I'll admit I've been fooled on a few numbers but I don't care what MT might have said in an interview, Bitch sounds like a classic Keith solo. The riffing and solo in DLS sounds like obvious Mick Taylor style playing.

Date: February 19, 2012 12:03

If the 'Bitch' solo is Taylor I hand in my resignation.

Date: February 19, 2012 12:22

Palace Revolution 2000

That solo bears every element of what makes Keith's style so recognizable. I remember when IORR first came out and I had not yet heard ANY of the tracks, I turned on the radio and heard some cool sound with no vocals to help identify what band it was but I instantly knew it had to be Keith Richards playing a solo on a Stones track I'd never heard before. Turns out what I heard was Keith's solo on Ain't Too Proud to Beg. Keith has a very identifiable style.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 19, 2012 17:09

stonesdan60
Palace Revolution 2000

That solo bears every element of what makes Keith's style so recognizable. I remember when IORR first came out and I had not yet heard ANY of the tracks, I turned on the radio and heard some cool sound with no vocals to help identify what band it was but I instantly knew it had to be Keith Richards playing a solo on a Stones track I'd never heard before. Turns out what I heard was Keith's solo on Ain't Too Proud to Beg. Keith has a very identifiable style.

and how unique a solo it is !

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 19, 2012 18:01

stonesdan60
Palace Revolution 2000

you have a masterful grasp of the bleeding obvious...

Date: February 19, 2012 20:51

StonesTod
stonesdan60
Palace Revolution 2000

And you have a masterful knack for the sarcastic barb almost every time you respond to something. Yes, it IS bleeding obvious but I should point out that when IORR came out and I heard the aforementioned bit on the radio, I was only 14, had only been a Stones fan for a short time and even then I knew how to recognise different player's styles. I've found that there are boatloads of people who somehow can't do that, which I can't quite understand. Actually, I enjoy your sarcasm is a perverse sort of way.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: February 19, 2012 22:38

StonesTod
stonesdan60
Palace Revolution 2000

stones tod, are you tired?

Date: February 19, 2012 23:06

michel
StonesTod
stonesdan60
Palace Revolution 2000

stones tod, are you tired?

well, i was...but i cranked up lou reed's metal machine music to lull me to sleep and i feel refreshed now. thanks for caring.

Date: February 19, 2012 23:20

stonesdan60
StonesTod
stonesdan60
Palace Revolution 2000

And you have a masterful knack for the sarcastic barb almost every time you respond to something. Yes, it IS bleeding obvious but I should point out that when IORR came out and I heard the aforementioned bit on the radio, I was only 14, had only been a Stones fan for a short time and even then I knew how to recognise different player's styles. I've found that there are boatloads of people who somehow can't do that, which I can't quite understand. Actually, I enjoy your sarcasm is a perverse sort of way.

for your next assignment, i would like you to report back to us on all the keith richards lead vocals on the various stones albums. no peeking at album liner notes, now.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home