Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Little queenie 1969 - question
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 26, 2019 21:32

I have often wondered why there is a piano audible on the Get Yer YaYa's live album. Is it an overdub, or did Ian Stewart actually play on stage? If you listen to the Oakland November 9, 1969 soundboard recording

[www.youtube.com]

there is no piano to be heard on any of the songs.

Re: Little queenie 1969 - question
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 26, 2019 21:35

From Zentgraf:
7th November - 6th December: THE ROLLING STONES. US Tour.
Line-up: MJ (voc, harm)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/MT (gtr)/BW(bass)/CW (dr)/
STU (p on Carol, Little Queenie and Honky Tonk Women)

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 26, 2019 22:34

A true piano player, not a keyboard...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 27, 2019 07:01

This thread makes me wonder: Why don't the Stones play this or other Chuck Berry songs as a change-up from the fairly static set list? Imagine them cranking out Around and Around in an extended live version, this one, Carol or similar as throwback tunes and a nod to CB. In a similar vein, I'd love them to play Mona live. One can dream....

Date: July 27, 2019 13:52

No Chinese chords = Stu on pianner.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 27, 2019 16:13

No pling pling too.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: July 27, 2019 21:24

Problem i dont think they are able to play these Numbers anymore.Keith.s fingers are a struggle nowadys

Date: July 27, 2019 22:28

harlem shuffle
Problem i dont think they are able to play these Numbers anymore.Keith.s fingers are a struggle nowadys

If there is one song he can still play it's LQ, imo. The classic Chuck Berry riffs are in his genes.

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: July 28, 2019 10:26

It would be interesting to figure out exactly when they last played a real Chuck Berry song onstage. It's been a while.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 28, 2019 13:48

TurningToGold2
It would be interesting to figure out exactly when they last played a real Chuck Berry song onstage. It's been a while.

On the basis of zero actual evidence/research, I've assumed that when Johnny Johnson lost his legal case against Chuck, they decided to stop playing Berry stuff to demonstrate their support for Johnny.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 28, 2019 14:23

CaptainCorella
TurningToGold2

On the basis of zero actual evidence/research, I've assumed that when Johnny Johnson lost his legal case against Chuck, they decided to stop playing Berry stuff to demonstrate their support for Johnny.

They played Around And Around in 2012.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 28, 2019 23:24

It was less than stellar. Actually quite a disaster. Listen to it and you'll cringe.

Date: July 28, 2019 23:27

iraq0708
It was less than stellar. Actually quite a disaster. Listen to it and you'll cringe.

Never heard that before?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 29, 2019 00:08

iraq0708

Don't judge too harshly. What you listen to here is a louzy YouTube recording. You can nearly hear Chuck, for instance. The swinging Boogy Woogy piano should be loud and clear. The balance between the three guitars is off too. Actually it's a tricky song to play life (although ... the club version on Love you Live really swings, but there the PE was in balance).
The Rolling Stones were, and still are, THE band to lift the Berry/Johnson songs to a stellar level, on record as well as live.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 29, 2019 06:14

powerage78

A piano is a keyboard instrument. I guess you didn’t know that

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: July 29, 2019 08:03

The do Chuck when they play It's
Only Rock and Roll.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 29, 2019 09:56

dmay
In a similar vein, I'd love them to play Mona live. One can dream....

I would love to hear Mona, too, but tbh I think it was Brian that made the studio version so good.

Date: July 29, 2019 09:57

georgie48
iraq0708

Don't judge too harshly. What you listen to here is a louzy YouTube recording. You can nearly hear Chuck, for instance. The swinging Boogy Woogy piano should be loud and clear. The balance between the three guitars is off too. Actually it's a tricky song to play life (although ... the club version on Love you Live really swings, but there the PE was in balance).
The Rolling Stones were, and still are, THE band to lift the Berry/Johnson songs to a stellar level, on record as well as live.
smileys with beer

Three guitars?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 29, 2019 12:36

Cooltoplady
powerage78

A piano is a keyboard instrument. I guess you didn’t know that

I 'keyboard' usually refers to an electronic keyboard, whereas 'piano' usually refers to an acoustic piano. An electric piano sometimes is referred to as 'piano' as well, but that's not entirely correct. There's can also be language differences. In Dutch for example, a keyboard is always an electronic instrument. A piano is never referred to as a keyboard.

Mathijs

Date: July 29, 2019 13:50

Funny, it seems that the unedited LQ version in MSG '69 has gone. It still was there one year ago, if memory serves. Anybody still has a link?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-29 13:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 29, 2019 18:20

DandelionPowderman
georgie48
iraq0708

smileys with beer

Three guitars?

Yep. I count the bass as a guitar grinning smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 2, 2019 13:30

Deltics
From Zentgraf:
7th November - 6th December: THE ROLLING STONES. US Tour.
Line-up: MJ (voc, harm)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/MT (gtr)/BW(bass)/CW (dr)/
STU (p on Carol, Little Queenie and Honky Tonk Women)

Mr Zentgraf is right, on the soundboard recording

Olympia Stadium, Detroit, MI, Nov. 24, 1969
[www.youtube.com]

Stu's piano is clearly audible

Date: August 2, 2019 13:36

georgie48
DandelionPowderman
georgie48
iraq0708

smileys with beer

Three guitars?

Yep. I count the bass as a guitar grinning smiley

grinning smiley

Date: August 2, 2019 14:43

saltoftheearth
I have often wondered why there is a piano audible on the Get Yer YaYa's live album. Is it an overdub, or did Ian Stewart actually play on stage? If you listen to the Oakland November 9, 1969 soundboard recording

[www.youtube.com]

Yes I have wondered why there is a freakin trombone on "Carol". Not even Mathijs could figure that one out.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 2, 2019 15:03

Palace Revolution 2000
saltoftheearth

[www.youtube.com]

Yes I have wondered why there is a freakin trombone on "Carol". Not even Mathijs could figure that one out.

Where was that again?

Mathijs

Date: August 2, 2019 15:14

Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
saltoftheearth

[www.youtube.com]

Where was that again?

It's during one of the last double stops. I am going to go find the time. It is actually the last stop. At 3:13. It must be some kind of guitar; The second guitar seems to be playing some descending line on D and A string.

Mathijs

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 2, 2019 20:13

Stew played on Carol and Queenie at MSG 69

Date: August 2, 2019 20:46

filstan

And HTW.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 2, 2019 23:39

I’ll need to check, but I’m wondering if there is a “Stu Songs” omnibus for the 70’s thread?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 3, 2019 01:15

DandelionPowderman
filstan

And HTW.

Yes indeed sir. Ian Stewart was a brilliant player. Like when Bill left, the band could never get that unique sound.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home