Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Johnny Winter - Silver Train live
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: February 14, 2012 10:17

Perhaps this was already posted before, just discovered it yesterday:

Johnny kicks ass, great rocking version. A while ago I read, that Johnny heard an early Stonesversion of this song in 1973 and recorded it for his LP. Must be true, because this version is very simular to a well known stones outtake!

Keep rockin ....

Re: Johnny Winter - Silver Train live
Date: February 14, 2012 10:30

not sure if johnny heard and early version or was actually given the song and then the stones deceided to do another version for goats head soup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 10:30 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:04

smoken version of a great song.... although the audience seems quite sedate and seated. I wondr where this is from.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:14

Brilliant base and bottlenecking...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:17

I think Johnny had this version from the Stones in mind:

"... mamama, mamama, mamamajajajajaja ...."

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:52

Just great music - both versions!

Date: February 14, 2012 12:08

The Stones wrote it for Johnny, no?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 14, 2012 12:18

No, the Stones didn't write Silver Train for Johnny Winter. They recorded it during the sessions for Sticky Fingers, but it got held over.

John Lennon wrote a song specifically for Johnny Winter, entitled Rock n Roll People.

Date: February 14, 2012 13:08

tomcasagranda
No, the Stones didn't write Silver Train for Johnny Winter. They recorded it during the sessions for Sticky Fingers, but it got held over.

John Lennon wrote a song specifically for Johnny Winter, entitled Rock n Roll People.

not sure if this is true or not but directly from a johnny winter albums liner notes "Winter was shown the demo of silver train by one of the stones and decided to record a version thinking the band had shelved the song"

Date: February 14, 2012 14:04

keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

not sure if this is true or not but directly from a johnny winter albums liner notes "Winter was shown the demo of silver train by one of the stones and decided to record a version thinking the band had shelved the song"

That is true. As a matter of fact, Winter finished the song first.

Date: February 14, 2012 15:29

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

cool so in the end the song wasn't technically written for him but he thought his would be the only version

Date: February 14, 2012 15:32

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

cool so in the end the song wasn't technically written for him but he thought his would be the only version

Then there is the story about the switch: Winther's I'm Yours And I'm Hers and Silver Train...

Date: February 14, 2012 15:34

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

Then there is the story about the switch: Winther's I'm Yours And I'm Hers and Silver Train...

don't know that story

Date: February 14, 2012 15:40

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

don't know that story

Coinciding with a compilation of old recordings called The Progressive Blues Experiment, Johnny's 'official' debut album, Johnny Winter (1969), was enthusiastically welcomed by the likes of John Lennon and The Rolling Stones, who opened their famous Hyde Park concert with Winter's "I'm Hers and I'm Yours". Each wrote songs for Johnny - "Rock'n'Roll People" and "Silver Train", respectively. Buoyed by such big-time approbation and his own self-confidence ('In my own mind, I was the best white blues player around,' he said), Winter plunged into an exhausting, if lucrative, schedule on the hard rock circuit. He hit Woodstock and went down a storm.

Date: February 14, 2012 15:51

[www.vinylrecords.ch]

"We get a double taste of the Stones with two numbers. One is the new "Silver Train," reportedly written for Johnny".

Date: February 14, 2012 15:57

I would add that Johnny Winter's first two albums, namely Johnny Winter and Second Winter highlight some amazing blues rock.

His third album with the remnants of the McCoys, christened And, isn't as bluesy as the first two. Although the album Johnny Winter And Live, which opens with Good Morning Little School Girl, where Jumpin Jack Flash is also covered, has some good bluesy moments, it is, predominantly, a heavy blues-rock album.

I would also add that Winter continued in the rock vein, with the odd not to the blues, i.e. Silver Train and Too Much Seconal, until he was given the honour of producing Muddy Waters' Hard Again. It was then that he reverted to playing more blues influenced material.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 14, 2012 16:01

I remember the story that Winter was visiting the Stones while recording/rehearsing and asked for a song.
He heard an early version of the still unreleased Silver train and liked it a lot.The Stones/ Jagger allowed him to take the song.

Similar story to F.B. Brothers Wild Horses version, which was released before the Stones original version as well.

Date: February 14, 2012 16:05

CousinC
I remember the story that Winter was visiting the Stones while recording/rehearsing and asked for a song.
He heard an early version of the still unreleased Silver train and liked it a lot.The Stones/ Jagger allowed him to take the song.

Similar story to F.B. Brothers Wild Horses version, which was released before the Stones original version as well.

Yeah, although the story was a bit more complex, I think. Didn't they send the tapes for Sneaky Pete Kleinow to do overdubs in 1969, but they weren't happy with the results?

I reckon Gram heard it, and liked the song, so he asked for the Burritos to record it?

Date: February 14, 2012 16:09

Wild Horses - Sneaky Pete was in the Burritos.

I think the overdubbed part was the piano part, which was sent to Leon Russell to work his magic on.

Date: February 14, 2012 16:13

tomcasagranda
Wild Horses - Sneaky Pete was in the Burritos.

I think the overdubbed part was the piano part, which was sent to Leon Russell to work his magic on.

An early version of WH with the Stones was posted here a couple of months ago, with Sneaky Pete's slide guitar parts instead of Keith's lead guitar, if memory serves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 16:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 14, 2012 16:20

sounds too much like johnny's version of all down the line...

Date: February 14, 2012 16:25

StonesTod
sounds too much like johnny's version of all down the line...

He hits the D too late, though... winking smiley

Date: February 14, 2012 19:44

i like the 2 early 90's johnny winter albums HEY WHERES YOUR BROTHER and LET ME IN

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 14, 2012 20:51

On what bootleg is the Silver Train early version?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:25

Its on Invasion's Its Only Rock n Roll and also on VG's (VGP-057) Lonely At The Top/Nasty Habits.
Johnny Winter (proud he's from my hometown) also does a kickass version of STRAY CAT BLUES too..

Date: February 15, 2012 15:58

Listen to "It's my own fault" on Johnny winter and live and you're sold !

I like both live albums from the early/mid seventies =>

Johnny Winter and Live and Captured Live.

On captured live one can find one of the most thrilling solo's ever on
Johnny rendition of Highway 61. Absolutely fabulous.

Now that's what we call guitar playing !

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 15, 2012 16:05

tomcasagranda
I would add that Johnny Winter's first two albums, namely Johnny Winter and Second Winter highlight some amazing blues rock.

His third album with the remnants of the McCoys, christened And, isn't as bluesy as the first two. Although the album Johnny Winter And Live, which opens with Good Morning Little School Girl, where Jumpin Jack Flash is also covered, has some good bluesy moments, it is, predominantly, a heavy blues-rock album.

I would also add that Winter continued in the rock vein, with the odd not to the blues, i.e. Silver Train and Too Much Seconal, until he was given the honour of producing Muddy Waters' Hard Again. It was then that he reverted to playing more blues influenced material.

please do add those things, then. i believe it sums up to two.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 15, 2012 17:08

Damn, I have all Winter's albums up to GUITAR SLINGER or whatever it is called in my archives but I haven't listened them for 25 years or something. Now when I looked at the titles mentioned here - JOHNNY WINTER, SECOND WINTER, JW AND, JW AND LIVE, STILL ALIVE AND WELL (my first and favourite actually), RED, HOT & BLUE, CAPTURED LIVE... it was very hard to remeber what do they contain. I was a huge fan first, but somehow lost the interest. Winter's sound was way too hard during his "rock period" to my taste eventually. The same fuzz guitar sound and that endless soloing and screaming. The need to fill the space with noise and notes. Especially the live stuff was too hard (boring) to listen. Is SECOND WINTER the album with three sides (1.5 album))? I remember it reviewed as a masterpiece, but honestly, I couldn't ever listen that album all the way through. Yeah, the stuff he did with Muddy was excellent though, HARD AGAIN is one of the best blues albums ever. If not the best.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 17:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 15, 2012 19:25

Always loved Johnny, in my opinion one of the best guitarists of all time, and a real blues man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 20:50 by RobertJohnson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home