Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger live at The White House Feb 21
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:40

From the IORR news:

Mick Jagger to perform at The White House Feb 21

The White House is opening its doors in an invitation to the blues. Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck, B.B. King and Keb Mo are among an A-list of artists who will perform at the White House Feb. 21 to celebrate blues music and recognize Black History Month. The program, called “In Performance at the White House: Red, White and Blues,” will be live streamed on the White House Web site. It will also be broadcast at 9 p.m. Feb. 27 on PBS stations. The American Forces Network will broadcast the program later. See the Washington Post article Obamas to hold celebration of blues music; Jagger, B.B. King and other artists to perform.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

AFP Mis à jour le 14/02/2012 à 06:49

Le chanteur des Rolling Stones Mick Jagger va se produire devant le président Barack Obama à la Maison-Blanche le 21 février pendant une soirée blues, au côté d'autres musiciens légendaires comme Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy et B.B. King, a annoncé aujourd'hui la présidence américaine.

Ce concert intitulé "Red, White and Blues", destiné à être diffusé à la télévision publique américaine six jours plus tard, est organisé à l'occasion du "Black History Month", le mois lors duquel les Etats-Unis se souviennent des contributions de la communauté noire à leur histoire et à leur culture.

La participation à ce concert de Mick Jagger, 68 ans, intervient alors que les Rolling Stones, à qui l'on doit des dizaines de standards du rock dont "Satisfaction", "Sympathy for the Devil" et "Gimme Shelter", célèbrent cette année le 50e anniversaire de leur formation. À leurs débuts, les membres de ce groupe londonien avaient abondamment puisé dans les standards du blues américain, contribuant à la découverte de cette culture par la jeunesse blanche aux Etats-Unis à une époque où la ségrégation raciale était encore en vigueur dans les Etats du "Vieux Sud".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 22:53 by bv.

Re: Mick Jagger to play in front of B. Obama on the 21st of Feb
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:48

ce nest pas vrai huh= le petit salo
jeroen

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:53

...........Respectable

ROCKMAN

Date: February 14, 2012 09:57

yes it is true !
Mick Jagger will play a concert at the White House on the 21st of february in front of Barack Obama. It will be a blues concert named "Red White and blues" with musicians like Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy and B.B. King.

This concert will be played on the American TV 6 days later, all right baybee ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 09:58 by jpasc95.

Date: February 14, 2012 09:58

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 09:59 by jpasc95.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 14, 2012 10:11

Notice how the article mentions the importance of the Stones who made the blues popular with
young white people in the States in a time when races were still segregated.
I won't deny the fact they loved to play the blues, but what about the suggestion they played
a role in emancipation of Afro-Americans? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 14, 2012 10:13

Reporter: "Beatles or Stones?"

Obama: "Stones"

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2012 10:15

I find it a bit strange, that Jagger does not take his band along with him to play the shit out of the president
jeroen

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 14, 2012 10:27

marcovandereijk
Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

someone smart once pointed out that to be successful a protest has to gain the support
of segments of society other than the protestors themselves. of course the Civil Rights movement was well underway
before the Stones arrived in the US, but they played a big part in making a whole generation of middleclass white kids aware
of black culture, of the fact that there were racist people and policies in the land of the free -
that too many grown-ups were too ready to ostracize anyone who looked/sounded "not white"

the Stones didn't have a conscious socio-political agenda when they came to America,
but what they were doing sure had socio-political impact
and the music they were playing gave everyone energy and courage for years and years and years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 10:29 by with sssoul.

Date: February 14, 2012 10:42

marcovandereijk
Notice how the article mentions the importance of the Stones who made the blues popular with young white people in the States in a time when races were still segregated.
I won't deny the fact they loved to play the blues, but what about the suggestion they played a role in emancipation of Afro-Americans? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

The article also mentions that "the Black Histoy Month is the month during which USA remember contributions of the Black Community to their history and culture".

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: February 14, 2012 10:48

with sssoul
marcovandereijk

someone smart once pointed out that to be successful a protest has to gain the support
of segments of society other than the protestors themselves. of course the Civil Rights movement was well underway
before the Stones arrived in the US, but they played a big part in making a whole generation of middleclass white kids aware
of black culture, of the fact that there were racist people and policies in the land of the free -
that too many grown-ups were too ready to ostracize anyone who looked/sounded "not white"

the Stones didn't have a conscious socio-political agenda when they came to America,
and the music they were playing gave everyone energy and courage for years and years and years

I agree with the point of view with sssoul, namely that the Stones didn't have a conscious socio-political agenda (well, whatever conscious in that case means), but would you say the same thing about Presley a decade earlier? I'm thinking of his Sun stuff at this point.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 14, 2012 10:48

They were dating the singers of the Ronettes as early as 1964, didn't they?
They played Chuck Berry tunes and met Muddy Waters in 1964, so they helped making the blues more popular.
They brought along Ike & Tina Turner and B.B. King on their U.S. tour in 1969.

The Stones were not the only ones to help popularize the blues, but they had a big part in it.

I still love their covers of e.g. Honest I do and Little red rooster from the early days.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:06

Kirk
would you say the same thing about Presley a decade earlier? I'm thinking of his Sun stuff at this point.

i'm talking about my own experience. someone who was around to be influenced by Elvis's Sun stuff would have to comment on its impact.
i wasn't even two years old yet when Elvis hit it big, which was post-Sun anyway, wasn't it.
obviously what the Stones do has long long roots and Elvis was a part of what influenced them,
but it wasn't Elvis that had direct impact on me and my peers

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:10

corriecas
I find it a bit strange, that Jagger does not take his band along with him to play the shit out of the president
jeroen

He is not interested in that band anymore.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:45

maybe Keith Richards was not invited or refused or could not come and play. The same for the others.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:59

Any stone member can do anything he wants outside the band. I do not mind wether it consists of Disco, Reaggae, Polka, Jazz, Writting, Painting, setting up restaurants, boogie boogie or blues bands. They may also quarrel as cats and dogs and then make up on and on.

But ...if in the year of the 50 aniversary Mick plays BLUES in front of the president but he does not count on the band ....it will be the first serious mistake and in my opinion irreversible harm to the band.

I know that not only the forum but the planet is trembling and shaking becouse I am saying this...but if he plays alone I will think of it as landmark/milestone in the bands history.

It is not MIck or the band..it is also being considered as an authoritative expression for blues...and the BAND deserves it.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 14, 2012 12:11

emotionalbarbecue
Any stone member can do anything he wants outside the band. I do not mind wether it consists of Disco, Reaggae, Polka, Jazz, Writting, Painting, setting up restaurants, boogie boogie or blues bands. They may also quarrel as cats and dogs and then make up on and on.

But ...if in the year of the 50 aniversary Mick plays BLUES in front of the president but he does not count on the band ....it will be the first serious mistake and in my opinion irreversible harm to the band.

I know that not only the forum but the planet is trembling and shaking becouse I am saying this...but if he plays alone I will think of it as landmark/milestone in the bands history.

It is not MIck or the band..it is also being considered as an authoritative expression for blues...and the BAND deserves it.

quote]

The 50th aniversary and the President-concert don´t have anything to do with each other. It seems that only Mick was invited.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 14, 2012 12:18

jpasc95
maybe Keith Richards was not invited or refused or could not come and play. The same for the others.

American (unofficial) Royalty, British Royalty.. it's all the same. Not to be trusted with a sharp stick.

If that's the case then good for Keith.

Sir Mick is quite the conservative isn't he.

To think The Stones (Mick) were deemed anti-establishment once.

That was another lifetime ago.

Date: February 14, 2012 12:20

Anniversary and this event are not linked, but anniversary give the chance to Mick for meeting the band and play in this significant/meaningful event. And Mick has obviously the power to say..."thanks for the invitation I will try also to play with the band". It would have not been a refusal...

The gist seems to be what JumpinJeppeFlash has said. He is not interested anymore.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 14, 2012 12:22

GravityBoy
jpasc95

American (unofficial) Royalty, British Royalty.. it's all the same. Not to be trusted with a sharp stick.

If that's the case then good for Keith.

Sir Mick is quite the conservative isn't he.

To think The Stones (Mick) were deemed anti-establishment once.

That was another lifetime ago.

Yes, that was long ago. Keith celebrates with ex-presidents these days.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 14, 2012 12:23

2012 - 50th Anniversary.

What it means is that there will be no tour, no gigs, no new album, no reissues, and just some downloads. Waste of time even hyping it, I think.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 14, 2012 12:24

emotionalbarbecue
The gist seems to be what JumpinJeppeFlash has said. He is not interested anymore.

But Mick is going to have to learn again that without the others, people are not that interested in him.

When the novelty factor wears off he's left with his nasally overennuciated vocals and his clumpy footwear bad Tina Turner dad dancing.

It won't take him far.

He might get a tour of Japan out of it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2012 14:12

From what I can see, if one of the band members as much as farts at any point in 2012 and the other three arent in the immediate vicinity to share the experience, the paranoia about the 'end of the band' and 'no tour' goes into overdrive. Even the entire planet is trembling with nerves now, it seems!

Laughable overreaction.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 14, 2012 14:16

with sssoul

Still does.
Thanks for giving your view on things. I guess you had to be there to actually grasp the impact
of things.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 14, 2012 14:40

Gazza
From what I can see, if one of the band members as much as farts at any point in 2012 and the other three arent in the immediate vicinity to share the experience, the paranoia about the 'end of the band' and 'no tour' goes into overdrive. Even the entire planet is trembling with nerves now, it seems!

Laughable overreaction.

Indeed Gazza smileys with beer

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 14, 2012 14:55

with sssoul
i'm talking about my own experience.

And I bless you for that

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: February 14, 2012 15:31

Gazza

Laughable overreaction.

Perfectly stated

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: February 14, 2012 15:34

with sssoul
Kirk
would you say the same thing about Presley a decade earlier? I'm thinking of his Sun stuff at this point.

i'm talking about my own experience. someone who was around to be influenced by Elvis's Sun stuff would have to comment on its impact.
i wasn't even two years old yet when Elvis hit it big, which was post-Sun anyway, wasn't it.
obviously what the Stones do has long long roots and Elvis was a part of what influenced them,
but it wasn't Elvis that had direct impact on me and my peers

Well,I simply appreciate your input here, so I was hoping for some, regarding this issue. I believe that we actually imbue meaning to the empirically given, so when we talk about meaning I think we are beyond 'own experience' and the 'I/me/my' field.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 14, 2012 15:44

with sssoul
marcovandereijk

you're right, withssssoul..

growing up in the American south I sure saw a lot of racism. I'm white, middle class, and the Stones sure pointed the light toward blues for me.

Then when I started getting into Motown, particularly Stevie Wonder, black kids at the junior high school I went to (predominately black) told me :
"you can't dig this"...

and I got chided teased some by white friends for liking that 'N****R music'

its a sad and happy past we have here..we've made it through The Worst I believe.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 14, 2012 15:45

And I always thought that the tea party at Sir Martin's apartment in Bern was the only political gig he was going to do this year!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home