Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 36
OT: Does she mean it? "Adele to take a five-year break from music"
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 14, 2012 21:01

(sorry, screwed this up somehow, hope this fixes it. it was supposed to be
a new topic. ignore it in this thread.)

(this is all over the net. the quotes are from a new interview with Vogue.
i can't believe it.)

HOT on the heels of her Grammy Awards triumph, Adele has revealed plans to take
a five-year break from music to focus on romance.

etc etc

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 21:15 by superrevvy.

Re: Mick Jagger to play in front of B. Obama on the 21st of Feb
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2012 21:47

i agree Doxa. Its only my fan/like playing up.
It would be so great,if they play together again, apart from the stones.
would be great if they would share some magical moments together,like friends, apart from the band.
this is what i meant.
otherwise, i hope both gigs will be great
jeroen

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 14, 2012 22:08

corriecas
i agree Doxa. Its only my fan/like playing up.
It would be so great,if they play together again, apart from the stones.
would be great if they would share some magical moments together,like friends, apart from the band.
this is what i meant.
otherwise, i hope both gigs will be great
jeroen

I'll second to that, jeroen! It is just... hmm... the things seem to go these days that this "glimer twins" idea is such a thing of the past. I'd love them be like - you know, like they once were - yin/yang-brothers...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 22:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 14, 2012 22:16

Is it the first time that a bandmember of the Rolling Stones is officially invited to The White House? I can't recall if Bill Clinton had the Stones at the WH while he was the Prez. Anyway congratulations to Mick Jagger. That partially answer my thread question of few weeks ago "Should Mick and Keith be in the Blues Hall of fame?"
Rock and Roll,
mops

Barack'N Stones
Posted by: StonedALIVE ()
Date: February 14, 2012 22:29

Way To Go Mick!

Re: Barack'N Stones
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 14, 2012 22:31

[www.myfoxdc.com]

Let's hope that he doesn't make any idiotic comments a la Sir Paul...

Re: Barack'N Stones
Date: February 14, 2012 23:01

dewlover
[www.myfoxdc.com]

The headline at Fox is nasty/funny and has even made it onto the Drudge Report...

"Obamas to Celebrate Black History Month with Mick Jagger"

Re: Mick Jagger to perform at The White House Feb 21
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:15

Stupid stupid stupid... I will definitely watch but I hate the fact that Jagger is participating at all, let alone without the Stones. No I am not a 'birther' or 'tea-party' member... His policies are just plain awful. Ron Paul 2012!

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:19

Yeah OK flac, is fantasy hour over yet?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:20

I am not an expert but I don't think this is political at all. If you were invited to perform at the White House and you loved what you do music wise then I am pretty sure most people would perform. Not because of someone being in the office right then, but because it is great to play the blues. I think it is that simple. Mick loves the blues, and one day when he is 90 or so I would love to see him in a small club with 50-100 people in the Village somewhere... Playing the harmonica, doing some real great blues... Love In Vain and some more great ones...

Bjornulf

Date: February 14, 2012 23:31

i agree bv. this would only be horrible if it was the stones. its buddy guy and
bb king and the blues being celebrated for black history month. its very cool
of bb and buddy and booker t to have included mick.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:42

mickschix
I don't think Mick is playing the Apollo Sumlin gig, is he? Last I heard he was not on the list of performers. Second, Obama is not the ENEMY just because he's the President! He's very cool, very into music and coming from Chicago, don't you think the man loves good blues? He can SING too... ( I'm.....so in love with you...") " I bet Barack goes up on stage to sing with some of the performers..can you picture Mick and Obama sharing a microphone ?? I can!

Love to see Obama take the lead on 'Happy' with MJ backing him up! Can Obama play guitar??

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:47

bv
I am not an expert but I don't think this is political at all. If you were invited to perform at the White House and you loved what you do music wise then I am pretty sure most people would perform. Not because of someone being in the office right then, but because it is great to play the blues. I think it is that simple. Mick loves the blues, and one day when he is 90 or so I would love to see him in a small club with 50-100 people in the Village somewhere... Playing the harmonica, doing some real great blues... Love In Vain and some more great ones...
It would be even better if Keith was with him.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:55

I think it's cool that to celebrate Black History Month not only Black folks are asked to participate. Mick Jagger and lot of other persons who aren't black have promoted the blues by playing it, writing about it, attempted concerts bought lp, cd, teeshirts etc.... Let's be Mick our ambassador at the WH, just for serious fun.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:56

No, this is not political, as BV indicated. It's simply the fact that President Obama must enjoy Mick's music and invited him to play at the celebration for Black History Month. Mick must be secretly thrilled, he always wanted to be considered BLACK! LOL!! I love it! I do wonder if Keith is miffed over not being included...I love that too!
Keep in mind Ron Paul would NOT have invited Mick to the White House for any reason I can think of! He's not that COOL!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 14, 2012 23:57

superrevvy

Interesting concept there that it was BB, Buddy & Booker T included Mick as opposed to the White House inviting him. I wonder who it is that decided to have Mick be a part of this. Also, who decided to include Jeff Beck as opposed to say, Clapton. If we're just looking at English blues guitar players, I'd think that Clapton would make more sense than Beck. I really can't think of an English vocalist other than Mick that might be more deserving unless John Mayall is still alive.

Would be interesting to know who picked the guests and why they were picked.

Regardless of politics, Kudos to Mick for being invited.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 15, 2012 00:17

GravityBoy
GumbootCloggeroo
GravityBoy
mickschix
What an honor for Mick!!

The establishment assimilation is now complete.

Is there no one else think just how wrong this all is?

Knighthoods and Presidential performances?

Brian will be turning in his grave.
You need to let go of the past. People grow up. Hell, even Johnny Rotten has grown up a bit.

Yeah.. he does adverts for butter.

It's called selling your soul.

Jesus... Obama is firing drone missiles at Pakistani wedding celebrations killing women and children and holding people in prison indefinitely without trial totally at odds with the American constitution.

But hey.. everyone's grown up. Sir Mick gets to sing for him.

This world gets more gross by the minute, I need to puke.

I always thought that 'selling your soul' was taking money for promoting something you didn't really believe in....How can anyone not believe in butter ?.....unless you a vegan and I never heard Johnny Rotten or John Lydon declare himself one of those......................

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 15, 2012 00:24

Just curious. Why does Mick playing at the White House get stickyed. But Keith playing at the Hubert Sumlin memorial doesn't?

Date: February 15, 2012 00:41

mr_dja
superrevvy

Interesting concept there that it was BB, Buddy & Booker T included Mick as opposed to the White House inviting him. I wonder who it is that decided to have Mick be a part of this.

good point -- i may be jumping to a conclusion. but booker t is described as
the musical director, so i'm crediting him, and buddy and bb because i think
they will be the stars of this show. i imagine a lot of harp from mick.

but let's credit mick too, for allowing himself to be included, as it is his
participation that is giving this celebration of the blues worldwide
publicity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 00:42 by superrevvy.

Date: February 15, 2012 00:45

sweetcharmedlife
Just curious. Why does Mick playing at the White House get stickyed. But Keith playing at the Hubert Sumlin memorial doesn't?

i share your curiousity on this.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 15, 2012 00:52

I think it is great that Mick was invited to be part of the band. It is an honor to perform at the White House for any artist no matter what President is in office. Would have been even cooler if Keith and the rest of the Stones were invited as well, but Mick has paid his blues dues and is much deserving to be up there with those other guys. I am sure Mick will bring his harp along.

Good on MJ!

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:04

GravityBoy
GumbootCloggeroo
GravityBoy
mickschix
What an honor for Mick!!

The establishment assimilation is now complete.

Is there no one else think just how wrong this all is?

Knighthoods and Presidential performances?

Brian will be turning in his grave.
You need to let go of the past. People grow up. Hell, even Johnny Rotten has grown up a bit.

Yeah.. he does adverts for butter.

It's called selling your soul.

Jesus... Obama is firing drone missiles at Pakistani wedding celebrations killing women and children and holding people in prison indefinitely without trial totally at odds with the American constitution.

But hey.. everyone's grown up. Sir Mick gets to sing for him.

This world gets more gross by the minute, I need to puke.

It's not that easy GravityBoy. WE KNOW the circumstances under which the PCs and laptops we are using right now are produced, let alone clothes, shoes,even food. It's not the same thing as firing missiles,but we're buying them, using them, wearing them, eating them. It is actually a long, long story. Monetary policies can economically 'struggle' whole nations just to keep tax-payers, shareholders, voters, creditors or whoever in another country satisfied, making them able to buy a ticket for the next concert. So, its not about presidents and their ilk, at least not exclusively about them.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:07

with sssoul
marcovandereijk
Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

someone smart once pointed out that to be successful a protest has to gain the support
of segments of society other than the protestors themselves. of course the Civil Rights movement was well underway
before the Stones arrived in the US, but they played a big part in making a whole generation of middleclass white kids aware
of black culture, of the fact that there were racist people and policies in the land of the free -
that too many grown-ups were too ready to ostracize anyone who looked/sounded "not white"

the Stones didn't have a conscious socio-political agenda when they came to America,
but what they were doing sure had socio-political impact
and the music they were playing gave everyone energy and courage for years and years and years

Well said and well written, spot on my friend.

Date: February 15, 2012 01:10

sweetcharmedlife

BV has obviously blackballed Keith since the LIFE debacle...get with the program.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:15

Sorry, but that's just one more example where Mick get's Keiths's honours. Keith IS Blues while Jagger just SIMULATES it (not bad, but a simulation at all).

Maybe because Keith still would tell them where they can put it...
And that he still doesn't care about their petty morals.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:27

Well, if Keith were as rude ( and stupid) as you say to tell the President of the United States " where they can put it", he certainly does not belong in such company. As far as Mick " getting Keith's hinors"...that is the dumbest remark I've ever heard here. Mick is SOOO deserving of this HONOR, and it is a great honor, and he surely has paid his dues. When will certain people start to appreciate the fact that Mick is a talented MUSICIAN!? There are few who can play the harp as well as Mick does, but it seems that this has not made a great impression on those who still treat Keith like the only relevant Stone. What a shame!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:32

micawber
Sorry, but that's just one more example where Mick get's Keiths's honours. Keith IS Blues while Jagger just SIMULATES it (not bad, but a simulation at all).

Maybe because Keith still would tell them where they can put it...
And that he still doesn't care about their petty morals.

Are you saying Keith's not mentally in sync with his heroes, BB King, et al ?........Interesting..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 01:33 by EddieByword.

Date: February 15, 2012 01:36

mickschix
Well, if Keith were as rude ( and stupid) as you say to tell the President of the United States " where they can put it", he certainly does not belong in such company. As far as Mick " getting Keith's hinors"...that is the dumbest remark I've ever heard here. Mick is SOOO deserving of this HONOR, and it is a great honor, and he surely has paid his dues. When will certain people start to appreciate the fact that Mick is a talented MUSICIAN!? There are few who can play the harp as well as Mick does, but it seems that this has not made a great impression on those who still treat Keith like the only relevant Stone. What a shame!!

plus he's currently the stones most competent guitarist.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:51

As long as Mick doesn't tell what he's really thinks about that, he belongs to this company? Yes, he does. And all of you do to. We'll see where that'll lead you to in the future. Just think about where it led you to now...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 15, 2012 01:51

rollmops
corriecas
I find it a bit strange, that Jagger does not take his band along with him to play the shit out of the president
jeroen

You are right, it is weird. But in Jagger's defense it's probably easier for him to agree to do quick solo appearances without involving the rolling stones organisation than if he had to sit down with the band and negotiate on those quicky projects.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Yes. And think about it, if the Stones were to perform here, they would completely overshadow all the other artists who were invited. The event would be entirely focused on the Stones and their long-anticipated 50th anniversary reunion, not Black History month and the blues, which is the real theme.

The Stones are way too big, baby, to just fit in a box next to BB King, Keb Mo, etc (no offense to any of these artists). Mick solo, on the other hand, is not.

Drew

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home