Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Dirty Work - Masterpiece by Accident?
Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: February 19, 2012 00:40

Wow, can't believe what I'm reading here. Is this really a Rolling Stones fan board???

Winning Ugly is not ugly, it's a good song. Welovetoplaytheblues and few others started this and it's becoming an obsession here. What have you guys so much against it really? It has a great groove and gorgeous Keith licks. And don't get me started on that bridge.

I bet most of you haven't listened to it all the way through with open mind since the day it came out, maybe not ever? Instead you're just hangin' here discussing it to death how lame it is. This place is getting so corrupt.

Mr. M, you're not the only one here who enjoy's Dirty Work. It's faaar from being my favorite or anything but I sure as hell can crank it up and have a great time with it. You basher's will never know what you're missing.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 19, 2012 01:01

Hillside Blues
I bet most of you haven't listened to it all the way through with open mind since the day it came out, maybe not ever? Instead you're just hangin' here discussing it to death how lame it is. This place is getting so corrupt.

and what's the prob with corruption? it makes the world go 'round...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2012 02:12

StonesTod
Hillside Blues

It's true...Skippy's on the take. I saw a cash drop take place about 4 in the morning over by the Memory Motel by a gin-soaked bar room queen. Skippy was there too...there was people talkin', whisperin' too, you.

I yelled out 'SKIPPY, KEEP YER EYES PEELED'...we both heard a clip clop of the feet on the stairs. Skippy wanted me off his cloud, but I told him I couldn't get no....hold back (don't hold back) I offered. He shook his head and said get some sleep tonight.

That was the last I saw him...doing the dirty work, and winning ugly.

Stay tuff skip.

Date: February 19, 2012 02:42

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Hillside Blues

It's true...Skippy's on the take. I saw a cash drop take place about 4 in the morning over by the Memory Motel by a gin-soaked bar room queen. Skippy was there too...there was people talkin', whisperin' too, you.

I yelled out 'SKIPPY, KEEP YER EYES PEELED'...we both heard a clip clop of the feet on the stairs. Skippy wanted me off his cloud, but I told him I couldn't get no....hold back (don't hold back) I offered. He shook his head and said get some sleep tonight.

Stay tuff skip.

that was beautiful. very touching. what the hell is wrong with you?

Date: February 19, 2012 03:07

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Hillside Blues

Stay tuff skip.

Hey, if we can't get behind skippy in his time of need, we're no better than Led Zeppelin fans.

Date: February 19, 2012 03:35

Turd On The Run
An A for effort is deserved by MrMonte. The rest is an epic reach. To call Dirty Work a "Masterpiece by Accident" album is to indulge in the most excessive, self-delusional revisionism possible. To write such balderdash just to present a "contrary view on something to make a case for it" is mere Sophistry as Amusement.

What next? "Satanic Majesties - The Greatest Rock Album of the 1960's"? "Don't Stop - Best Stones Single Since 'Brown Sugar'"? Get serious.

The glossy (over)production values alone immediately dated the Dirty Work album. Dirty Work has a vicious guitar sound which is horribly marred by the atrocious drum sound (and leaden playing by the substitute percussionists...Charlie MIA) and indifferent bass mixing...something that negates their secret weapon (their rhythm section) and would spell disaster on any Stones album -- even one with superior material -- and these effects ultimately sink Dirty Work, an album with decidedly inferior material. The band that defined the Roll in Rock and Roll delivers song after song of harsh, leaden pounding...the rhythm section with the most seductive swing in the genre is nowhere to be heard. Compelling melodies are also difficult to locate. Add to this mess Jagger's unfortunate return to his worst mid-70's vocal mannerisms (i.e. the guttural growl) and you have an album that ranks as one of the most vitiated and misdirected in the Stones canon.

Ture; DW is also the most rigid of all Stones albums. did Lillywhite make them play with clicktracks? Wyman, where he did play, is non present, and the tempos have non of the typical Stones looseness. The drums were tuned. That had to bother Charlie a lot too.
80's were all about taking a backseat to the synth; and producers and Jagger were trying to mold the Stones to adapt. result is something like Dirty Work.

But I don't dislike Winning Ugly much at all. It's a fine song.

Date: February 19, 2012 03:39

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Hillside Blues

Stay tuff skip.

Hey, if we can't get behind skippy in his time of need, we're no better than Led Zeppelin fans.

I wasn't attacking anyone. I was just pointing out that certain tracks are put on a pedestal on this board while certain others gets trashed all the time even though they clearly don't deserve it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 19, 2012 03:43

But that is what you should have said, instead of claiming that we haven't listened to DW. When that disc came out, I was in College, and was so excited. I listened to it non stop for weeks. And I think partly to try to convince myself that indeed it was a great album. But time and again I left strangely unsatisfied. And then as the years rolled on, it become more clear just how bad the album is. And really, it all comes down to personal taste doesn't it? I will never really appreciate this album for many reasons, primarily their choice of production style, and the pour lyrics and melodies. But I also like several of the songs on it, and especially like One Hit to the Body, as a later day stones classic.

Date: February 19, 2012 03:44

Palace Revolution 2000
But I don't dislike Winning Ugly much at all. It's a fine song.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2012 03:56

............how come only Canadians got it on a 12 and ultra rare 7"....????

ROCKMAN

Date: February 19, 2012 03:59

whitem8
But that is what you should have said, instead of claiming that we haven't listened to DW. When that disc came out, I was in College, and was so excited. I listened to it non stop for weeks. And I think partly to try to convince myself that indeed it was a great album. But time and again I left strangely unsatisfied. And then as the years rolled on, it become more clear just how bad the album is. And really, it all comes down to personal taste doesn't it? I will never really appreciate this album for many reasons, primarily their choice of production style, and the pour lyrics and melodies. But I also like several of the songs on it, and especially like One Hit to the Body, as a later day stones classic.

I guess it came out wrong. I apologize.

I don't think it's a great album either but it doesn't deserve to be trashed so badly, especially the songs that are indeed good.

Date: February 19, 2012 03:59

Rockman

Because the Rolling Stones actually secretly hate us (clarification...Canadians).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 04:00 by treaclefingers.

Date: February 19, 2012 04:01

Hillside Blues
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Hillside Blues

Stay tuff skip.

I wasn't attacking anyone. I was just pointing out that certain tracks are put on a pedestal on this board while certain others gets trashed all the time even though they clearly don't deserve it.

I didn't take it as an attack...I was defending skippy for some strange reason, and Tod got all bent out of shape. hmpf!

Date: February 19, 2012 04:06

Rockman

They obviously have good music taste.

Seriously, those two are among my most precious stones records. Hope you got them too Rockmanwinking smiley

Date: February 19, 2012 04:08

....sadly only have the 12 Hillside...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 19, 2012 04:21

Oh yeah, the little one is tough.

But I'd choose the 12" every day, with the awesome remixes. There's also a US 12" radio station promo. It has an edited version both sides but the sonics are great. It'll tear your roof right off...

Date: February 19, 2012 04:32

There's also a US 12" radio station promo ...interesting.. thanks man...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 19, 2012 05:39

Somewhere in this thread it says the cover photo's colors are super imposed. Any shots of the original picture? In beige?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 19, 2012 09:15

Hillside Blues
...Winning Ugly is not ugly, it's a good song... What have you guys so much against it really? It has a great groove and gorgeous Keith licks. And don't get me started on that bridge...

C'mon ...
"I was brought up to cheat, so long as the referee wasn't looking"
Is it possible to come up with a more embarrassing cliche/lyric? This is just one of many examples on this song (and thru-out the album) of atrocious lyrics, of which are by far the worst in the Stones history. And the groove, as you say, is very poor on this song in particular -- which is odd since I actually like the bootleg version at least a little bit, but no, can't listen to this at all anymore, sorry.

And since I'm on the topic of embarrassing lyrics, how about these:

------------------------
There's a hole where your nose used to be.
Gonna kick ya out of my door.
Got to get into a fight.
Can't get out of it.
------------------------

You let somebody do the dirty work
Find some loser, find some jerk
Find some dumb ass do it all for free
------------------------

Back to zero, back to nothing
Straight to meltdown, back to zero
------------------------

Hear the voice of experience
A word from the wise
Grab opportunity
While you're alive
------------------------

Ugh .... makes me shudder! And the music is equally bad in these songs, as far as I'm concerned - especially pathetic in Hold Back - I bring that one up since so many think that guitar interplay between Keith & Ronnie is brilliant - I find it like a high school band attempt without much creativity, but that's just me. If I want to hear what I feel is great dueling Keith/Ronnie guitar work I'll stick w/ Before They Make Me Run, Hand Of Fate, or almost anything NOT on this album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 09:30 by LeonidP.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: February 19, 2012 12:37

I quite like DW, although it is probably one of my least favourite Stones albums. Like someone said, I think it is very "guitar driven". I don't know any Stones albums where the guitars sound quite as agressive as on DW. Another good thing about DW is that it does not contain many "Stones-by-the-numbers" songs. What I found shocking when I first heard it, is the lack of melody and the fact that Mick is shouting instead of singing. On the other hand, one can also think of this as yet another variation of style in their rather huge repertoire, spanning everything from psychedelia to country music. Anyway, for what it's worth, here is my run-through of the songs :

One hit - This is just great! They haven't recorded many songs since that can compete with this.
Fight - One of the better songs, with a trememdous instrumental break in the middle.
Harlem shuffle - A very good cover version of a soul classic.
Hold back - Lacking in melody, but the instrumental outtro is just great.
Too rude - An OK version of a nice reggae tune.
Winning ugly - Even more lacking in melody, one of my least favourite songs. The "How can I live my life this way"-part is nice, though.
Back to zero - Same comment as for WU.The "It's a monkey riding on my back" part is fine.
Dirty work - This is pretty good, has some great weaving (sorry!),especially at the end.
Had it with you - Another nice one, I always thought this sounds like it could have been a 1966 B-side.
Sleep tonight - One of Keef's better ballads, up there with "The worst".But not great.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 19, 2012 13:17

walkingthedog
I quite like DW, although it is probably one of my least favourite Stones albums. Like someone said, I think it is very "guitar driven". I don't know any Stones albums where the guitars sound quite as agressive as on DW. Another good thing about DW is that it does not contain many "Stones-by-the-numbers" songs. What I found shocking when I first heard it, is the lack of melody and the fact that Mick is shouting instead of singing. On the other hand, one can also think of this as yet another variation of style in their rather huge repertoire, spanning everything from psychedelia to country music.

This is a good point. Other way to say it is that the band was still then an artistically driven band: they wanted update their sound, to an extent follow the trends and try to find a new angle to their doings. That it didn't work too well this time around or anymore is a bad thing but still I find DIRTY WORK much more insteresting album to listen than the albums from VOODOO LOUNGE on that are 95 % "Stones-by-numbers" kind of stuff. Listening to DIRTY WORK is a bit like SATANIC MAJESTIES: even when the band seemingly fails, it is still fascinating to listen but wheras VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON or A BIGGER BANG offers 100% safe and sure Stones pastishe music stylistically that it leaves me mostly cold, and just makes to find the albums in where that kind of music is fresh and inspired and original. Whatever DIRTY WORK lacks it certainly doesn't lack originality. By contrast, STEEL WHEELS, even though being as 80's produced as it can be, is much more classical sounding album, and the band uses pretty famliar ideas there (some of them going pretty far back). But that was the whole thing in 1989 "come back": a fresh nostalgia.

- Doxa

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: February 19, 2012 16:36

I love seeing the DW supporters coming out! Maybe I overstated it with the use of the word "classic." That's the fun of a blog by the way, you get to do that stuff. But it is a really special album and I really do believe that the music's generally great, and it's fun to see all the points of views!

And thank you to the IORR message board! This became my most read blog piece ever, by a long shot!

As I noted before, I could have written a piece that said, "Exile On Main Street" is a Great Album and Here's Why!" or a piece called "I really liked the Mick Taylor years!" but what could I possibly have added that's interesting or hasn't been already said?

Thanks for your support everyone!

Date: February 19, 2012 16:37

Doxa
walkingthedog
I quite like DW, although it is probably one of my least favourite Stones albums. Like someone said, I think it is very "guitar driven". I don't know any Stones albums where the guitars sound quite as agressive as on DW. Another good thing about DW is that it does not contain many "Stones-by-the-numbers" songs. What I found shocking when I first heard it, is the lack of melody and the fact that Mick is shouting instead of singing. On the other hand, one can also think of this as yet another variation of style in their rather huge repertoire, spanning everything from psychedelia to country music.

This is a good point. Other way to say it is that the band was still then an artistically driven band: they wanted update their sound, to an extent follow the trends and try to find a new angle to their doings. That it didn't work too well this time around or anymore is a bad thing but still I find DIRTY WORK much more insteresting album to listen than the albums from VOODOO LOUNGE on that are 95 % "Stones-by-numbers" kind of stuff. Listening to DIRTY WORK is a bit like SATANIC MAJESTIES: even when the band seemingly fails, it is still fascinating to listen but wheras VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON or A BIGGER BANG offers 100% safe and sure Stones pastishe music stylistically that it leaves me mostly cold, and just makes to find the albums in where that kind of music is fresh and inspired and original. Whatever DIRTY WORK lacks it certainly doesn't lack originality. By contrast, STEEL WHEELS, even though being as 80's produced as it can be, is much more classical sounding album, and the band uses pretty famliar ideas there (some of them going pretty far back). But that was the whole thing in 1989 "come back": a fresh nostalgia.

- Doxa

The only thing Dirty Work was missing, was good songs with good lyrics competently performed. I would prefer 'Stones by numbers' because presumably at least they can do that well. It's ok for the stones to have a worst album, and I believe this to be it.

Date: February 19, 2012 16:38

Hillside Blues
Rockman

They obviously have good music taste.

Seriously, those two are among my most precious stones records. Hope you got them too Rockmanwinking smiley

I have'em both!

Date: February 19, 2012 16:56

treaclefingers
Doxa
walkingthedog

- Doxa

The only thing Dirty Work was missing, was good songs with good lyrics competently performed. I would prefer 'Stones by numbers' because presumably at least they can do that well. It's ok for the stones to have a worst album, and I believe this to be it.

actually, i think that the most frustrating thing is that the stones WERE still very competent musicians...all of ron's and keith's chops were in full display...but bad songs are just bad songs no matter how well-executed. but, yes, i am very glad the stones put out dirty work so that they could get their worst album out of the way and enable the path for all the great albums that would follow...uh...oops...well, still....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 17:04 by StonesTod.

Date: February 19, 2012 16:57

ManuelStones
Palace Revolution 2000
I don't like "Voodoo Lounge" too much, and I have both of these albums together at the bottom of my Stones albums.
But both of them spawned many wellkown outtakes. Outtakes which could and should have made the album much better. (IMO)
"What am I gonna do with your Love"
"Deep Love"
"Crushed Pearl"
"Strictly Memphis"
"Invitation"
You may add Who Gives You the Right which I think comes from the same sessions.
Crushed Pearl is one their very best.
I just happened to listen to a version of "What am I gonna do with your love". Would have been so good on the album; sparse like it is.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 19, 2012 17:00

Palace Revolution 2000
Somewhere in this thread it says the cover photo's colors are super imposed. Any shots of the original picture? In beige?

It's not true. thumbs up

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: February 19, 2012 17:00

[en.wikipedia.org]
Peter Gabriel's So was released in 1986
great album for my taste

Date: February 19, 2012 17:43

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

It's not true. thumbs up

Thanks P. Didn't ring right.

Date: February 19, 2012 18:51

I am one of those that liked the album when it came out. It was new. New Stones. Can't go wrong with that, right? Steel Wheels, amazingly, changed that.

They worked hard on this record - but that does not equivalate to working smart - or good. The riffs, for the most part, are not memorable. One Hit is the only tune on this album that is single worthy aside from the obvious, and excellent, cover of Harlem Shuffle.

Winning Ugly gets trashed by me because it is horrible. There is no way around it. When I got the album I liked it. It was new. It has aged incredibly bad and hell by the time Steel Wheels had been out it had really aged. Yes the guitar work in it is good but...that's like saying the bridge you drive over has beautiful windows - it's still a bridge you drive on. The windows don't do anything to help the bridge be a bridge.

Why some people can not simply accept that some things are outright turds I'll never understand. Defend everything. The Stones can do no wrong. If it was truly good one wouldn't get mad, they'd simply say 'I like it'. Like how people talk about Streets Of Love. They don't go on and on about what's good about it, it's usually some dribble like 'the ladies like it' or 'people were singing along to it' or 'I like it'.

Winning Ugly blows. The LP version blows, the 12" version blows and, surprise! They've never bothered to play it live. Only two from this album have ever made it on stage, and one was only for a handful of shows. I've thought all along the Stones make strange decisions sometimes and that's been relfected over the years with their choices of NOT performing good songs from albums that were, gee, not hit singles. The only big non-single LP track faves they've played have been Monkey Man, Gimme Shelter, Let It Bleed, Dead Flowers, Rocks Off and CYHMK.

There are others. They finally sort of noticed. They played She Was Hot on the last tour. They played Dance and Worried About You on the Licks tour. So they are aware that they have good songs that aren't singles.

Nothing else on Dirty Work is deserving, to me, of getting played live. And in fact not one song should be played live ever again. And just for the record I have listened to it all the way through over the years. Objective or not, bad is bad. I've always liked Fight but I wouldn't say it's actually good compared to previous LP tracks. The drumming is stilted, the riffage is generic, the bass plays almost anything but the bottom and Mick does his growl howling. It's slightly better than Hold Back. Yet somehow I like the damn tune.

It's just one of those albums that doesn't hold up yet for some really strange reason people want it to. It's impossible to disagree with the band about this one, which they've seemingly forgotten they even did.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home