Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT: Women's Football / Soccer World Cup.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 23, 2019 23:56

I know it's very busy in Stonesland and not much OT stuff.
Just thought this may take our minds …………….for a few minutes, off setlists, ticket prices, travelling from different parts of the world or U.S.A. , accommodation, beer and food prices......and all that goes with seeing The Rolling Stones live.

BBC over here in U.K. have excellent coverage and there is a fairly local match in the quarter finals on Thursday night with Norway v England in Le Havre.
Women's football has progressed leaps and bounds over the past few years and is really a great sport to watch. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-24 01:16 by crawdaddy.

Re: OT: Women's World Soccer Cup.
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 24, 2019 00:01

BV must be pleased with Norway's surprising showing.

Date: June 24, 2019 00:08

Norway under-achieved last time around. They have a few world cup and olympic titles, actually.

Watching France-Brazil as we speak. Tight game on extra time. Very exciting!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2019 00:08

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 05:42 by Stoneage.

Date: June 24, 2019 00:10

Some of the football has been so good with their play, but my faves are England (of course for me), U.S.A. ………...mainly 'cos they managed to score 13 goals against Thailand, and any one of the South American countries still in it. smileys with beer

Date: June 24, 2019 00:15

Stoneage
For @#$%& sake, it's football not soccer! And FIFA Women's World Cup. Get a grip!

You are right! Football is Football and soccer was a different name introduced some time ago.
Will try to change the title of the thread. smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 24, 2019 00:16

Enjoying it, but the poor level of officials in tandem with the mess of VAR is making it a bit of a cluster @#$%&.

Date: June 24, 2019 00:19

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 05:43 by Stoneage.

Date: June 24, 2019 00:21

DandelionPowderman
Norway under-achieved last time around. They have a few world cup and olympic titles, actually.

Watching France-Brazil as we speak. Tight game on extra time. Very exciting!

Just catching the last minutes of the game and looks like it's going to last half of extra time.
My bet is on Brazil...………..but maybe France. confused smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 24, 2019 00:23

crawdaddy
Stoneage
For @#$%& sake, it's football not soccer! And FIFA Women's World Cup. Get a grip!

You are right! Football is Football and soccer was a different name introduced some time ago.

Soccer is an English term for football, originally. It’s an annogram of association football; the official name of the sport we all love so much. At some point, it’s usage in the U.K. and elsewhere became less. I’m guessing it’s still widely used stateside because of American football. Not to cause confusion, I presume.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 24, 2019 00:26

Anyway, I watched the second-half of the England vs Cameroon match. What a disgraceful display by the latter. Tears, tantrums, violent tackling... Phil Neville was rightfully fuming. I understand the Cameroon team did not understand VAR, but surely it was explained to them??

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 24, 2019 00:29

Big Al
crawdaddy
Stoneage

Soccer is an English term for football, originally. It’s an annogram of association football; the official name of the sport we all love so much. At some point, it’s usage in the U.K. and elsewhere became less. I’m guessing it’s still widely used stateside because of American football. Not to cause confusion, I presume.

It's English public school posh boy slang, the same as "rugger" for rugby.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 24, 2019 00:31

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 05:44 by Stoneage.

Re: OT: Women's Football World Cup.
Date: June 24, 2019 00:34

Every team should have known about VAR and the England girls coming off the field were very diplomatic.
Phil Neville said what he thought and I'm sure most fans of England would have completely agreed with him. thumbs up

Date: June 24, 2019 00:37

VAR has not been implemented fairly though.

It was meant to stop inconsistencies, but hasn't.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 24, 2019 00:42

No need to change the title of this thread really. In Norway we call the game "fotball", and in Germany I think it is called "fussball". It is a ball game played with the foot, the biggest and most popular sports game in the world. In UK they call it "soccer" for some reason, but it is still good old football, even if they call another game that in USA & Canada. Technically it is "American Football", they use their hands as well, as far as know.

So much for the name of the sports. I am nine days in Chicago, and the previous three weeks in UK. Of course I follow our national team and every game. They have been doing great and they are now in the quarter finals vs England, which means they are top 8 in the world. Norway is a country of five million people, i.e. half the population of London City. Sure it is impressing of our players to make it into the quarter finals!

Bjornulf

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 24, 2019 00:45

His Majesty
VAR has not been implemented fairly though.

It was meant to stop inconsistencies, but hasn't.

Scotland have been shafted by it with a game changing VAR incident in all 3 of their games. I can well imagine it will be used inconsistently. In Scotland in particular when a certain pair of teams play angry smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 01:07

bv
In UK they call it "soccer" for some reason,

We call it football, footie, or in Scotland... fitba.

Date: June 24, 2019 01:09

grzegorz67

Scotland have been shafted by it with a game changing VAR incident in all 3 of their games. I can well imagine it will be used inconsistently. In Scotland in particular when a certain pair of teams play angry smiley

Be quite while before it'll get used here. Cannae afford it. grinning smiley

Re: OT: Women's Football / Soccer World Cup.
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 24, 2019 01:23

We call it voetbal ;o)

Date: June 24, 2019 01:33

In Aberdeen we mostly call it FFS!! angry smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 24, 2019 01:34

Could someone please post what is an intentionally rude, very insulting thing to call this game, so people who are about to be chastised for innocently calling the game the "proper local (to them) term" can actually call the game the vulgar name and thus be deserving of the chastising? I mean if someone is going to be screamed at, cussed at and lectured to, at least let them have the fun of doing the crime. It does not seem fair for an innocent person to be penalized for accidentally triggering some nut into an insane rant when they meant no malice.

Date: June 24, 2019 01:47

The Soccer Field is much too big for Women's Football. Against a Sub division Man's team the score would be 30-1 under the current conditions. Woman's tennis is still great to watch, but Football....

Date: June 24, 2019 01:53

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 05:45 by Stoneage.

Date: June 24, 2019 02:09

TheflyingDutchman
The Soccer Field is much too big for Women's Football. Against a Sub division Man's team the score would be 30-1 under the current conditions. Woman's tennis is still great to watch, but Football....

Such a man thing to say. grinning smiley

Date: June 24, 2019 02:17

Stoneage

- The VAR thing is hard to get a grip of. Is it good or not?

The people using it is the problem.

Waiting up to 10 minutes for decisions that are sometimes wrong. thumbs down

Also, in the near future it's not being used everywhere so there will be confusion as different competitions and leagues will essentially be playing under different rules and conditions.

It's killing the flow of the game and the special moment of scoring and celebrating a goal/or a keeper saving penalties.

Money has ruined the game already anyway really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-24 02:21 by His Majesty.

Date: June 24, 2019 02:29

I just deleted my silly comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-24 13:16 by crawdaddy.

Date: June 24, 2019 02:30

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 05:46 by Stoneage.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 24, 2019 02:53

TheflyingDutchman

If you have 10 of these one's in your team you out play the boy's................

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 24, 2019 09:41

Stoneage
His Majesty
Money has ruined the game already anyway really

Sure, but still not the women's game.

Indeed which is partly why I have enjoyed watching.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home