Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is the live sound different on this tour compared to 2018?
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 5, 2019 03:45

Can't go to America this year but only judging from Youtube videos I feel like the live sound is a bit different compared to last year. This year's videos sound like it's a bit quieter and cleaner than last year. Also the bass seems to be more audible. The snare drum also seems to be tuned a bit differently - last year is was lower bit a bit of ringing and this year it seems to be tuned higher and dryer, more like in 2014/15/16
Has anybody who went to the concerts last year AND this year noticed these differences?

Re: Is the live sound different on this tour compared to 2018?
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 5, 2019 05:57

You are using phone Youtube videos to compare sound? Seriously?

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 5, 2019 07:08

It is exactly the same sound equipment and sound engineers from last year.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 10:58

daspyknows

But he's using a new iphone!

Rod

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 5, 2019 11:35

I was at Prague last year and Chicago 2 the other night. To my ears, Prague was much louder. And as others have mentioned, Sasha was criminally low during Gimme Shelter.

Date: July 5, 2019 13:39

daspyknows
No I'm not comparing, I was just noticing. Therefore I was asking
Has anybody who went to the concerts last year AND this year noticed these differences?

Date: July 5, 2019 13:44

DEmerson
I was at Prague last year and Chicago 2 the other night. To my ears, Prague was much louder. And as others have mentioned, Sasha was criminally low during Gimme Shelter.
Thank you. I was in Prague too. Really loud concert.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 5, 2019 13:45

StonedRambler
Can't go to America this year but only judging from Youtube videos I feel like the live sound is a bit different compared to last year. This year's videos sound like it's a bit quieter and cleaner than last year. Also the bass seems to be more audible. The snare drum also seems to be tuned a bit differently - last year is was lower bit a bit of ringing and this year it seems to be tuned higher and dryer, more like in 2014/15/16

One thing i noticed was i could hear people talking while the Stones were playing this year as opposed to the UK tour last year, but i think they might have increased the volume in Washington because the band were loud enough to silence the talking, do some venues in the States have restrictions on sound volume ?

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: July 5, 2019 14:31

I must agree with stonedrambler. I was watching a video of Chicago 2 on my Motorola Startac flipphone and I am pretty sure when Bernard was shaking his tambourine at Chicago 2 one of the little bells on the tambourine was tuned slightly different that it was in Prague and it totally changed the dynamic of the band.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 14:55

Last year I saw them in Southampton, Twickenham and Coventry. From more or less the same position in the field, I would say that Southampton and Twickenham were "normal" volume but Coventry was ear splittingly loud! So I guess it depends on venue acoustics as well as whether they have any external noise limits. At Coventry, I don't think there were any residential premises nearby so they could blast away, but Southampton and Twickenham both will have had strict noise limits due to proximity of housing.

I would guess that the same applies in the USA - i.e. different noise limits and acoustic issues at each venue.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 14:59

And whilst we are on the subject of sound, I am always intrigued by the way the band plays on the B stage. Given the large distance between the front of house speakers and the stage, there must be a significant delay when they are on stage. As a musician, this can be very confusing - especially for Charlie - which is likely why he wears the headphones.

I guess Keith and Ronnie rely on the close up monitors blasting the sound straight to them but even so those delays must be difficult to work with.

Kudos too to the sound engineers.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 5, 2019 15:17

I them twice on No Filter Euro leg in Amsterdam 2017 and London 2018 but same equipment. Amsterdam enhanced but that was due to them closing the roof over stadium.smiling smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 5, 2019 15:25

Well maybe technology changed - It can change from year to year due to design changes- it is part of the product life cycle. Apple I-phone is a good example.

However, stadiums may make a difference, the open stadiums with where bleachers are cl0ser seem to contain a sound better such as Carter-Finley in Raleigh. I'm going to the new renovated Miami Hard Rock stadium which has a roof over the stands only. Not sure how the sound will fare. But the stadium is louder during football games.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 15:42

Guitar on JJF opener sounds different, honky tonk too!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 5, 2019 15:45

Haven't noticed the sound being different on this leg vs the last one, but my first impression of the screens was that they were different than last years.

The side screens are a bit more angled that seems clear, but the screens themselves strike me as not quite as clear and vivid as the ones in the UK. Probably "just my imagination", ... has anyone else noticed a difference?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 5, 2019 17:03

Chris Fountain
Well maybe technology changed - It can change from year to year due to design changes- it is part of the product life cycle. Apple I-phone is a good example.

However, stadiums may make a difference, the open stadiums with where bleachers are cl0ser seem to contain a sound better such as Carter-Finley in Raleigh. I'm going to the new renovated Miami Hard Rock stadium which has a roof over the stands only. Not sure how the sound will fare. But the stadium is louder during football games.

Hampden Park Glasgow has the stands completely covered with an oval roof and I remember on the Bigger Bang tour there was the most atrocious echo for big chunks of the show even though it was mainly full. Even the BBC broadcast couldn't mask it.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: July 5, 2019 19:21

Sound is same more or less.I find UK shows and Ont this tour
About the same, guess it is where you are sitting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 19:23 by babyblue.

Date: July 5, 2019 21:25

MisterDDDD
Haven't noticed the sound being different on this leg vs the last one, but my first impression of the screens was that they were different than last years.

The side screens are a bit more angled that seems clear, but the screens themselves strike me as not quite as clear and vivid as the ones in the UK. Probably "just my imagination", ... has anyone else noticed a difference?

The video screens are most likely the exact same as were used last year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-06 00:10 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 5, 2019 23:14

TornAndFried
MisterDDDD

The video screens are the exact same used last year and at the same angle.

Take your word for it as you aren't citing a source, but myself and another person who saw several on the last leg had the exact same thought when we first saw the screens.

Date: July 5, 2019 23:21

MisterDDDD
TornAndFried
MisterDDDD

The video screens are the exact same used last year and at the same angle.

Take your word for it as you aren't citing a source, but myself and another person who saw several on the last leg had the exact same thought when we first saw the screens.

I will talk with someone on the video crew at the Boston load in tomorrow and confirm if they are the same screens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 23:24 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 5, 2019 23:51

TornAndFried
I will talk with someone on the video crew at the Boston load in tomorrow and confirm if they are the same screens.

I'd be curious.. the outer two screens can swivel as I recall, perhaps just tilted slightly more to reach the fans in a larger stadium. But the quality of image, at least pre-show seemed different and not quite as crisp.

Date: July 6, 2019 00:09

MisterDDDD
TornAndFried

I'd be curious.. the outer two screens can swivel as I recall, perhaps just tilted slightly more to reach the fans in a larger stadium. But the quality of image, at least pre-show seemed different and not quite as crisp.

There is some variance in the construction of the stage framework to adjust the angle of the outside video screens to dimensions of the venue. The football stadiums in the US are generally wider than the soccer/football stadiums in Europe and the UK so it would make sense that the screens have an adjustable angle for optimum audience viewing. Also, the perceived quality of the video image is somewhat dependent on the ambient light conditions much like your LED television or phone screen so it may appear to be of higher quality simply because it was darker outdoors.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-06 08:27 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 6, 2019 02:50

TornAndFried

I'm not sure if the outer screens can actually swivel using an electric motor and track, or if there's some variance in the construction of the stage to adjust the angle according to the shape of the venue. The football stadiums in the US are generally wider than the soccer/football stadiums in Europe and the UK so it would make sense that the screens have an adjustable angle for optimum audience viewing. Also, the perceived quality of the video image is somewhat dependent on the ambient light conditions much like your LED television or phone screen. So, it may appear to be of higher quality simply because it was darker or you were simply closer to the stage.

Yeah.. screens turned just a bit more than the UK I suspect.
You're correct about the screens being the same, think I just caught them as they were "warming up" (??) in Chicago, ambient lighting and closeness to them very similar, but seemed (more than) fine during the show.
[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 6, 2019 15:40

keefmick
I am pretty sure when Bernard was shaking his tambourine at Chicago 2 one of the little bells on the tambourine was tuned slightly different that it was in Prague and it totally changed the dynamic of the band.

You silly boy! grinning smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 6, 2019 15:59

The sound in DC Wednesday was great but the sound in a stadium also depend on where the listener is located. 2 persons may have 2 different experiences attending the same show based on their seats in the venue.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 6, 2019 16:03

ROLLINGSTONE
Chris Fountain

Hampden Park Glasgow has the stands completely covered with an oval roof and I remember on the Bigger Bang tour there was the most atrocious echo for big chunks of the show even though it was mainly full. Even the BBC broadcast couldn't mask it.

I guess the sound gets sucked through the hole in the roof

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home