Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Midnight Rambler - mess up in general
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: June 28, 2019 19:43

Now that Keith Richards started Midnight Rambler before paint it black. Now my question did any band messed it up like STONES did on stage? I guess we'll no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-29 01:02 by bv.

Re: Midnight Rambler
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 28, 2019 22:57

For me, no . But you do.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 28, 2019 23:02

Springsteen in Sunrise, Fl. He stopped I wanna Marry You (off the River album) after first verse and practically said the same as Jagger the other night. They started the song over in this case.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 28, 2019 23:06

Don't ya panic don't ya panic
Give it one more try
Give it one more try

Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
You've got to keep trying
No sense to keep crying

……………………..………………….. One More Try -- Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: June 28, 2019 23:39

[www.youtube.com]

go to 6:50- Grateful Dead encore in Telluride, 1987. "Wait a minute, this is all @#$%& up!"

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 29, 2019 00:39

I am pretty sure bands do mess up all the time.

1. Find a band that has been touring since 1962 or before
2. Find out if they ever messed up

I am sure the hit rate of mess up factor will be 100%

If you do not mess up some times, then you are a robot.

Who cares about robots?

Bjornulf

Re: Midnight Rambler - mess up in general
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 29, 2019 01:36

If there was a show hosted by a robot who repairs stuff, I don't think it should be called "Robot Repair". People would think it's about repairing robots, and that's not the idea we're trying to get across.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-29 01:38 by ryanpow.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: June 29, 2019 02:02

For so many of us at that show, this moment was noted as a big highlight - and it was! So great to see it, hear it, and watch them figure it out, laugh it off and get on with the show.

And to me, that was the best PIB intro I've heard Keith play in a long time! He was certainly determined to nail it once he figured out what the hell happened. I will never forget that moment...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 29, 2019 02:59

On the Licks tour in San Diego Keith ( I’m remembering this without looking it up so forgive me if it’s not totally accurate)went into Before They Make Me run when he was supposed to be playing Happy or visa versa.
The band didn’t play at all,just blank stares as he wailed away for a second and then stopped.
I was right up front and everyone was laughing and having a good time with it.Keith said “sorry wrong guitar”with a big smile,and proceeded to knock it out of the park the rest of the show.

I watched the video and it was very similar,he laughed and smiled but brought the hammer afterward.that Paint it Black was STRONG.

Keith’s fine guys,my story was from 17 years ago.these things happen because he’s more feeling it out there than thinking about it ,thank god.

Date: June 29, 2019 03:03

every band messes up at some point

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 29, 2019 03:11

Rockman

Give it one more try
Give it one more try

Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
You've got to keep trying
No sense to keep crying

……………………..………………….. One More Try -- Jagger/Richards

Rockee....ain't it the truth.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 29, 2019 03:48

Obviously, Keef should be fired without severance and get a bad employment reference for such a catastrophic screw-up. Maybe they should break a few of his fingers for the mistake.

In defense of robots, it is possible for MIDI playback to be plagued by a glitch or two.

What really disappointed me was not hearing Ronnie play the MR lead on an electric sitar.

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: June 29, 2019 04:00

JN99
For so many of us at that show, this moment was noted as a big highlight - and it was! So great to see it, hear it, and watch them figure it out, laugh it off and get on with the show.
Totally agree, it was great. For a band of that stature, it was a very human moment, the kind of which I don’t think we get to see that often from them.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 29, 2019 04:09

Madcap
JN99
Totally agree, it was great. For a band of that stature, it was a very human moment, the kind of which I don’t think we get to see that often from them.

Agree.
Also agree with Dean Goodman (in his report) who humorously labeled it "FrankenRambler" cool smiley
Loved witnessing that.. and such a great recovery!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 29, 2019 04:51

Didn't Keith start satisfaction on the B stage years back? It wasn't supposed to be , but they joined in and played it anyways

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: June 29, 2019 05:35

At first I thought it was Barnum and Bailey like clowning because the screens did not change.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 29, 2019 05:54

Dead had a mess up last year at a concert in NY. Something sounded weird and they all stopped and stared at Bob Weir for about a minute.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 29, 2019 06:34

Come across a few over the years (in person and videos)...in person, Billy Joel was starting a song on piano and the accompanying keyboard/synth player was having feedback problems, prompting two false starts before Billy finally said, "F*ck it, I'll do it by myself"...saw Brian Wilson with the Beach Boys back in '83, beginning a song solo on piano - again, equipment issues and a false start - "What the hell is wrong with this instrument? Sorry about that, people!"

On video, I've seen Paul McCartney mess up the words at the beginning of Penny Lane and Blackbird, deciding to start over....he mentioned both times, "See, that proves we're live!" Also, I've got an old video boot of Tom Petty from 1990 where he's gliding across the stage as "Yer So Bad" begins, and when it's time for him to sing, he's nowhere near the microphone...the band stops and he said laughingly, "I forgot where I was!"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 29, 2019 06:40

Madcap
JN99

smiling smileythumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 29, 2019 06:43

In Perth in 2014 Keith started "Happy" in wrong key and tempo. Abandoned it. Walked back to Chuck asking what key am I supposed to be in? Finally figured it out after about 45 seconds then ripped into it. THIS band don't mime/lip sync! I'd rather see and hear the screw ups than hear recorded perfection from stage.

Rod

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 29, 2019 10:41

bitusa2012
THIS band don't mime/lip sync! I'd rather see and hear the screw ups than hear recorded perfection from stage.

thumbs up If you wanna complain about the Stones get yourself an IEM bootleg of a recent Roger Waters concert. In addition to vocals and instruments you can hear the voice of say... a musical director who shouts in the band'd earbuds instructions and guidance : "okay 1st verse" or "bridge!" or "guitar solo!". eye rolling smiley

To me that means Waters' live gigs are performances on crutches. There's never been such things with the Stones.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 29, 2019 12:03

I don't really get the "mess up" question--I mean, all bands screw up occasionally, every single one of them, and this particular screw up wasn't particularly huge. What's the big deal?

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: June 29, 2019 13:23

It was so charming and sweet, I cynically thought it was orchestrated. I guess if Mick fumed at Keith I would have believed it. I grew up in a dysfunctional family apparently.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 29, 2019 13:32

When Keith changes guitar does Pierre tell him what song is next or does Keith has to memorize the set list?
Just wondering about the process.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 29, 2019 14:50

When U2 played Milton Keynes in 1985,heavy rain affected the gear. After Bono introduced Bad ('This is Bad'), the synth intro started, sounding weird and out of tune, prompting Bono to comment 'This is very bad'. I had to laugh out loud when I first heard it.

Date: June 29, 2019 15:20

bv
I am pretty sure bands do mess up all the time.

1. Find a band that has been touring since 1962 or before
2. Find out if they ever messed up

I am sure the hit rate of mess up factor will be 100%

If you do not mess up some times, then you are a robot.

Who cares about robots?

The Dutch band " Golden Earring" -Radar Love- are touring since 1961 , that's even longer than the Stones(!), played on Pinkpop 2019 and never messed up big time. At least they are no robots. Probably the oldest rockband in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-29 15:22 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 29, 2019 15:28

Wasn't there even a Rolling Stones bootleg CD called 'nervous breakdowns' featuring the worst Stones breakdowns?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 29, 2019 16:08

dcba
bitusa2012
THIS band don't mime/lip sync! I'd rather see and hear the screw ups than hear recorded perfection from stage.

thumbs up If you wanna complain about the Stones get yourself an IEM bootleg of a recent Roger Waters concert. In addition to vocals and instruments you can hear the voice of say... a musical director who shouts in the band'd earbuds instructions and guidance : "okay 1st verse" or "bridge!" or "guitar solo!". eye rolling smiley

To me that means Waters' live gigs are performances on crutches. There's never been such things with the Stones.

In defense of Roger Waters, his shows are precisely timed to the millisecond with all the visuals and special effects which are a major part of his shows - not much room for improv or mistakes.
While the bits of pre-recorded vocals/lip synching are ridiculous, it's still a great show for what it is which is almost the extreme opposite of a Stones show which is much looser in every way with plenty of room for mistakes.

On another note, recently I saw a Neil Young show where he abruptly stopped playing a song about thirty seconds into it (I think it was Walk On at Lobero Theater in Santa Barbara).
Not because there was a snafu or mistake involving him or the band, but simply because he wasn't "feeling " it lol.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 29, 2019 16:51

The Stones topped the Stones: In the 90ties one half of the band played Star Star, the other Satisfaction or another song, I don't know exactly. One of our mates here will remember in the right way. No one of the band noticed it till the end.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 29, 2019 17:16

Hairball

On another note, recently I saw a Neil Young show where he abruptly stopped playing a song about thirty seconds into it (I think it was Walk On at Lobero Theater in Santa Barbara).
Not because there was a snafu or mistake involving him or the band, but simply because he wasn't "feeling " it lol.

That reminds me of Leonard Cohen in Jerusalem,1972. He left the stage in the middle of a concert because he felt it wasn't working. Telling the audience he and the band were going to have a 30 minutes meditation session and come back and try again..."and if it doesn't get any better we'll just end the concert and refund your money..".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home