Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: In Defense of Latter Day Stones
Date: February 10, 2012 16:53

Although the latter day albums have been less consistant than the best ones, I think we should be proud of many of the songs the band has released, regarding their age:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 16:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 10, 2012 16:57

DandelionPowderman
Although the latter day albums have been less consistant than the best ones, I think we should be proud of many of the songs the band has released, regarding their age:

Great selections!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 10, 2012 17:07

I agree with DandelionPowderman thumbs up
We should be proud of many of the songs the band has released, regarding their age:
Someone like Chuck Berry made his whole career based on the stuff he did in the 50´s and sixties...Stones keep coming up with new material ( together and on their own) and that´s great.

Production wasnt the best on Bridges To Babylon for my taste- but there´s still lot of great songs in there. So it´s not a bad record at all..Keith did a great job on that record. And the funny thing is ...if they had done more vintage production on that album..some of you tourists would have complained that they are trying to repeat themselves and not moving forward..I like the fact that the Stones took out some chances on the Bridges To Babylon. And like I said How Could I Stop is one the best songs they ever did...Voodoo Lounge had back to the roots kinda production and on Bigger Bang the production was even better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 17:07 by seitan.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 10, 2012 17:08

seitan
We should be proud of many of the songs the band has released

then why aren't we?

Date: February 10, 2012 17:10

StonesTod
seitan

then why aren't we?

T.O.U.R.I.S.T

Date: February 10, 2012 17:11

seitan
StonesTod
seitan

then why aren't we?

T.O.U.R.I.S.T

what does that stand for?

Date: February 10, 2012 17:16

StonesTod
seitan
StonesTod
seitan

then why aren't we?

T.O.U.R.I.S.T

complaining, bitching, moaning, never satisfied, bored middle aged person who lost the spirit of rock n roll in his life and is now ..still missing his youth - and doesnt really like the Stones anyway. -in other words: tourist.

Date: February 10, 2012 17:24

seitan
StonesTod
seitan
StonesTod
seitan

then why aren't we?

T.O.U.R.I.S.T

complaining, bitching, moaning, never satisfied, bored middle aged person who lost the spirit of rock n roll in his life and is now ..still missing his youth - and doesnt really like the Stones anyway. -in other words: tourist.

i need to hookup and party with some of these folks...didn't realize i had company. anyone up for it?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 10, 2012 17:28

StonesTod
seitan
StonesTod
seitan
StonesTod
seitan

then why aren't we?

T.O.U.R.I.S.T

i need to hookup and party with some of these folks...didn't realize i had company. anyone up for it?

Apparently believing that the latter day Stones albums are not as good as previous ones means I have lost the spirit of rock n roll and that I don't like the Stones. Who knew?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 17:29 by 71Tele.

Date: February 10, 2012 17:28

thewatchman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele
Words is words. You can pile on a heap of 'em, but they won't make ABB a great album. The Stones have not made a decent album since Bill left, and even the couple before that were pretty spotty.

Bridges produced three of the greatest Stones songs ever.

If you say so. I still think it sounds like an album made by a commitee, not a band.

Notice the three listed songs? Me either.

What the hell? How many friggen times do I have to list them? For the last time: Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and "Thief"! You shouldn't have to be told! Three of the greatest songs ever! By those "in the know" that is.

Are you SURE it's The Last Time?

Date: February 10, 2012 17:30

thewatchman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
thewatchman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
thewatchman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Someone please point out the "Chuck Berry boogie" on A Bigger Bang.

Unless I missed it I didn't notice any excuse for Streets Of Love.

The ladies loved Streets Of Love.

Did you read what that is in context to? Doesn't look like it. Obviously.

How many different ways can you take shots at Streets Of Love? We get it.

It's about the articles in the original post, ding dong.

It's called karma. What goes around, comes around.

Once again, out of context and not relevant to the subject. You do have your way of doing that. It's admirable but not imitatible.

Date: February 10, 2012 17:37

71Tele
StonesTod
seitan
StonesTod
seitan
StonesTod
seitan

then why aren't we?

T.O.U.R.I.S.T

Apparently believing that the latter day Stones albums are not as good as previous ones means I have lost the spirit of rock n roll and that I don't like the Stones. Who knew?

Everyone knew. I like the Stones, the past, the present and who knows - the future. I like the later days albums too, - they sound like the Stones to me, but Hey, - At least I can enjoy the fact that the guys have had long, creative career in rock n roll, So I guess I'm a Stones fan and youre not !
I still love rock n roll and with all your complaining, - I guess you lost the spirit of the music somewhere along the road to your boring middle aged life. Hahahah....

Date: February 10, 2012 17:40

seitan
71Tele
StonesTod
seitan
StonesTod
seitan
StonesTod
seitan

then why aren't we?

T.O.U.R.I.S.T

Everyone knew. I like the Stones, the past, the present and who knows - the future. I like the later days albums too, - they sound like the Stones to me, but Hey, - At least I can enjoy the fact that the guys have had long, creative career in rock n roll, So I guess I'm a Stones fan and youre not !
I still love rock n roll and with all your complaining, - I guess you lost the spirit of the music somewhere along the road to your boring middle aged life. Hahahah....

yeah, but tele and i have had our fun...now we're going down slow. and it's not very nice to laugh at us just because we're has-beens.

Date: February 10, 2012 17:41

seitan
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
seitan
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage
superrevvy
the stones didnt die in 1977. you did.

I'm with 71 Tele here. Their muse died in the late 70s. But there is nothing strange with that. In fact they managed to stay relevant for an unusually long time - almost two decades. Few band have managed that. Time waits for no one...

Music being "relevant" has always puzzled me. What have the Stones done that have made them "relevant"?

No relevant lyrics huh ? - Highwire on the Flashpoint album was relevant song about USA selling weapons to Saddam Hussein, Bigger Bang had a relevant song Sweet Neo Con -about president Bush invading another country for oil, - attitude on those songs reminded me of Street Fightin Man - I think Sweet Neo Con was rather boring jam musicially, but lyrics on that song were still interesting and relevant, and it's a proof that Stones still had some guts to sing important lyrics and they were ready to insult the right wingers -that´s the spirit of the sixties, - rebellion - it was still there.

It´s interesting that you say:
Had they done something similar to that in 1974 when they were still defining and evoloving their sound it might be a different discussion.
..it´s like.. if they had written these songs back in the seventies they would be now hits and classics, - in other words - the songs are good, but you dont like them cause they are "new" ..in other words - you are not listening to the songs as for what they are, you are lookin for bigger value, historical value - when in fact, -lot of music lovers just enjoy a good song when they hear it, without askin validation from some nostalgic historians. You could listen to the song "It´s Only Rock N Roll" and think about lyrics. It´s dedicated to silly critics who moan..Oh it´s not as good as they used to be..blaah. Great lyrics that kinda sums up this thread for me. I happen to like Stones reggae songs - nothing wrong there.

Oh, When you write: when they chase the tail of being current and music trendsthey pretty much sound like someone imitating something that was hip 6 months ago for three weeks at best. you sound like Keith Richards in his book Life when he was writing about Mick. I agree with you and Keith on that: - it´s stupid for Mick to try to be trendy.

They dont have to do that, cause they can still rock like the did in the old days.

Funny how you think releasing a song about a "war" a year after the "war" happened is relevance. How Sweet Neo Con reminds you of Street Fighting Man is beyond me. They couldn't be more different if they wanted to. It's convenient to say it's "like" SFM because of the relation of the subject matter but that's just apples and oranges. I've never been under any impression that The Rolling Stones were concerned with "the spirit of the sixties - rebellion" since...I dunno. Was Some Girls with the lyrics about black girls rebellious? I don't think so. To me it was just a comment based on Mick's experiences.

Dangerous Beauty is commentary about the actions of what one person did during W's "war". Yet somehow not one person seemed to take notice. It may as well of been about Charles Whitman. It's also a much better song than Sweet Neo Con but no one figured that out either.

You totally missed my point about the Stones doing something trendy now compared to doing something inventive in 1974 (Fingerprint File is a great example). It's nothing to do with being "new" nor the quality of the songs - Might As Well Get Juiced, regardless of the Dust Brothers, is still a horrible song. And it certainly has nothing to do with nostalgia. It's strictly about how bad the results of being trendy are. Saint Of Me is a pretty damn good song, regardless of the production.

The lyrics in It's Only Rock'N'Roll are funny about their critics. Mick pays attention afterall. No matter - it's still a wobbly song. It's a by-the-numbers tune that became a minor hit for 'em and also became somewhat of an anthem for the Stones. Which is perfect for them back then. Now it's a tagline for NBC Dateline or the evening news with whoever. So it goes.

I was not attempting to sound like Keith in his book squawking about Mick being trendy (I read the book but I don't really recall it - perhaps it's blended in with all the other ranting he's done over the years). That's coincidence. Do you think I like it when they're trendy and the song works, like Saint Of Me, but they shouldn't be trendy when the song sucks, like Juiced? Nahhh. There's no bias with liking a band. I prefer the live version of Saint Of Me from No Security over the LP version. They played it live just fine. I don't think they really needed to do what they did on the LP version, they could've done that for real anyway so why bother? Perhaps what Keith meant to say was "Is it good? If a song is good it's a good song." The producers really have no control over that. Might As Well Get Juiced is lame period.

That's what a lot of it came down to. They did what they did with the Dust Brothers and it was pointless anyway. And they (except Mick) didn't like it. Lucky us, we got it on their second newest album forever.

You like the Stones doing reggae, the one song they did, I think it stinks. It certainly fits on BLACK AND BLUE with the whole hazed out vibe going on with that record but it's still bad. It's entertaining though. it makes me laugh. But it's not good reggae, it's bad. C-side bad. It's amazing it even made the album. There you go.

So what are you doing here - if you dont even like the Stones ?
(It´s only rock n roll is one the best Stones classics ever..)
They have more than one reggae song, - you would know that, if you were a Stones fan...but I guess youre just a tourist here. "send it to me..."

(Releasing a song about a "war" a year after the "war" happened is still relevance -in fact you can still find people who think that Iraq war was a good idea, and wars dont ever end when the soldiers go home, wars end when children are safe, secure and life goes back to normal and all is forgotten...)

Why can't you get it? Of course you would ask me what am I doing here. That's typical of someone that thinks that being a fan means you have to love everything and be blind and deaf. You did say 'if' though, I'll give you that. You think It's Only Rock'N'Roll is one of ther best classics ever, I find it extremely boring. So do the Stones since they changed it to the key of B and have never played it in E live. And so now I'm a tourist? HA HA HA HA! Oh you are the mighty high approval Oh Toothless One.

The Stones don't have more than one reggae song, they have NO reggae songs. Send It To Me isn't reggae. Cherry Oh Baby is a sleazy attempt at covering a reggae song. It's horrible but I like it. Send It To Me is reggae-esque but that's as far as that word will ever be used in describing a Stones song.

The Iraq War wasn't a war. Why do you kind insist on calling it a war when it wasn't? Same with Vietnam. By the time Highwire came out it was old news - not relevant at the time - the usual lag. So Mick commented on it. But it was DONE. I like the song but we're talking about relevance. And if it was so relevant how come it didn't get any attention when W's 'war' got under way with the same Saddam still running Iraq?

Date: February 10, 2012 18:22

seitan

Ah, yes, and that old "you're not a real fan" chestnut. The "spirit of the music" is very much alive in all the other music I listen to, as well as in the great Rolling Stones albums I still appreciate and play after all these years into my "boring middle age life".

To disparage and insult people personally who don't happen to agree with your opinion is as predicatable is it is infantile, but lacking good arguments I certainly understand why you feel the need to resort to this lowest common denominator type of response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 18:24 by 71Tele.

Date: February 10, 2012 18:27

71Tele
seitan

Ah, yes, and that old "you're not a real fan" chestnut. The "spirit of the music" is very much alive in all the other music I listen to, as well as in the great Rolling Stones albums I still appreciate and play after all these years into my "boring middle age life".

To disparage and insult people personally who don't happen to agree with your opinion is as predicatable is it is infantile, but lacking good arguments I certainly understand why you feel the need to resort to this lowest common denominator type of response.

i guess you find it difficult accepting yourself as a tourist. it's really not so bad, though. after visiting some of the old albums, you get to come back home and relax and reminisce and be wistful about the good old days. don't fight it. it happens to the best of us.

Date: February 10, 2012 18:33

StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

i guess you find it difficult accepting yourself as a tourist. it's really not so bad, though. after visiting some of the old albums, you get to come back home and relax and reminisce and be wistful about the good old days. don't fight it. it happens to the best of us.

OK, but I'm still trying to figure out how "complaining, bitching, moaning, never satisfied" somehow spells out T.O.U.R.I.S.T.

Date: February 10, 2012 18:35

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

OK, but I'm still trying to figure out how "complaining, bitching, moaning, never satisfied" somehow spells out T.O.U.R.I.S.T.

I think you have to do it backwards. T.S.I.R.U.O.T. Try that.

Date: February 10, 2012 18:36

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

there are several spelling-challenged individuals here. i've offered remedial training classes, but to date, no takers. you just need to sorta work around the spelling errors and attempt to understand their points in the overall context of their posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 18:49 by StonesTod.

Date: February 10, 2012 18:41

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

there are several spelling-challenged indiviuals here. i've offered remedial training classes, but to date, no takers. you just need to sorta work around the spelling errors and attempt to understand their points in the overall context of their posts.

You have a point. Perhaps Tele is acronym spelling challenged or is it...seitan?

Date: February 10, 2012 19:03

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

there are several spelling-challenged individuals here. i've offered remedial training classes, but to date, no takers. you just need to sorta work around the spelling errors and attempt to understand their points in the overall context of their posts.

I understand seitan's point perfectly: Every Stones album is as good as every other one and anyone who doesn't think so must be middle aged, boring and have lost "spirit of rock n roll". He has not made any other point that I am aware of.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: February 10, 2012 19:54

My dog wouldn't take a dump during his walk this morning. I walked him to all of his favorite "areas" and still, nothing. Finally, I had to go back home so I could get the kids to school on time. As we were walking out the door, I turned to the dog and said, "Please...just...don't. Please."

I drove...um....aggressively....on my way back from the school. I parked the car in the driveway, opened the front door to the condo and ran up the stairs. Damn....I could already smell it. I turned the corner, and there was the dog, lying in his doggie bed, wagging his tail nervously- he understood what he had done. I followed the stink up to the bedroom...and there it was, in all of it's disgusting, runny, gag reflex inducing glory; a copy of Steel Wheels on my brand new carpet.

That's the type of stain that stays forever.

Damn dog.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:14

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

I understand seitan's point perfectly: Every Stones album is as good as every other one and anyone who doesn't think so must be middle aged, boring and have lost "spirit of rock n roll". He has not made any other point that I am aware of.

I´ve made several other points, - and no I never said that Every Stones album is as good as every other one - in fact Bigger Bang is much better than Undercover or Dirty Work - Why dont you check out what I have posted on this thread so you can read my points. Scroll back.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:22

seitan
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

I´ve made several other points, - and no I never said that Every Stones album is as good as every other one - in fact Bigger Bang is much better than Undercover or Dirty Work - Why dont you check out what I have posted on this thread so you can read my points. Scroll back.

You lost me when you started personal disparagements. It is always surprising to me that someone whom I have never met presumes they know my age, what "spirit of rok n roll" I have, or other personal details. Perhaps it's psychic powers. You can like what you like - doesn't matter to me. I simply think that the last few albums are mostly attempts to recapture past glory through using tired formulas, combined with pretty cringe-worthy attempts to be "current". Yes, there are a couple of good Keith ballads and a few ok rockers in there, but overall I think the Some Girls outtakes album is much better than any of the last three studio albums. Regardless of a handful of good tracks on the last three records, the overall standard is far below their earlier work, and the fact that the Stones themselves don't play much of this material speaks volumes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 20:24 by 71Tele.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:26

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

But being as good as "every other one" means there's always an album between them that is bad.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:28

seitan

That is a lie and not true - Undercover is better - much better - than Dirty Work as well as A Bigger Bang. That is just a fact. You ignore the facts as well as the truth.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:33

71Tele
Regardless of a handful of good tracks on the last three records, the overall standard is far below their earlier work, and the fact that the Stones themselves don't play much of this material speaks volumes.

That says it all right there.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:48

71Tele
seitan
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
seitan

You lost me when you started personal disparagements. It is always surprising to me that someone whom I have never met presumes they know my age, what "spirit of rok n roll" I have, or other personal details. Perhaps it's psychic powers. You can like what you like - doesn't matter to me. I simply think that the last few albums are attempts to recapture past glory through using tired formulas, combined with pretty cringe-worth attempts to be "current". yes, there are a couple of good Keith ballads and a few ok rockers in there, but overall I think the Some Girls outtakes album is much better than any of the last three studio albums.

I agree with you on the fact that yes - Some Girls outtakes album is much better than any of the last three studio albums. I agree. But I dont count that as a latter day album, when it´s bonus tracks from the past. - As for personal insults, if you cant take a joke - than that´s too bad. It´s infantile in the first place to spend lot of time here on internet and argue about music. That´s infantile -but lot of fun yes- and it should be fun - so sorry if you feel insulted but dont take it so hard.

Fact of the matter is that most of us - have been listening to Sticky Fingers, Exile and Some Girls for years and years - so nothing new could ever have the same kind of impact - we have too many memories, life experiences and energy spent and invested on those old albums.

- So it´s infantile to argue about the later day albums, when some of you have used those albums as soundtracks to relationships, marriages, child birth and god knows what else...You have too much memories that go together with those past albums. So you should smoke a joint, screw a chick or find some other experience to go along with the new recordings. There´s plenty of great songs on the later day albums if you just ...be more open minded and ready to..enjoy them.

What is this moaning and complaining about rock n roll records anyway.
Gimme A break. - where´s the spirit, how tired can you get ? - Have a drink or something. It´s still rock n roll..we are not in school here. It´s rock n roll and not a bloody trial.

I think the production on Biger Bang is much better than Undercover, Dirty Work, or Steel Wheels - Bridges To Babylon was interesting side step as far as production goes, - but on Bigger Bang they were back on right track and I think it´s the best one of the later day albums. Cheers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 20:54 by seitan.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:53

To clarify, seitan, I wasn't copunting the SG outtakes as a latter-day album. On the contrary, I was offering it as support that the earlier period was so strong in contrast to the "post-Bill" era that even the outtakes from Some Girls were better than the later released albums.

Sorry if I didn't express that clearly.

Date: February 10, 2012 20:57

seitan
I agree with you on the fact that yes - Some Girls outtakes album is much better than any of the last three studio albums. I agree. But I dont count that as a latter day album, when it´s bonus tracks from the past.

Sooooo.... with that frame of mind, parts of Sticky Fingers, Exile, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You are not... they weren't 'present day albums' when they came out due to the fact that they contained previously recorded tracks, finished as well as finished later?

Some Girls extras isn't exactly 'bonus tracks from the past'. They've been worked on.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home