Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Grammys. Whitney. Performing: Springsteen, McCartney, Beach Boys (incl Brian), Coldplay, Adele, Rihanna, Chris Brown etc. Lifetime achievement: Allman Bros
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 9, 2012 09:01

from another thread, but deserves a thread of its own. all of these not just
appearing. performing!

sweetcharmedlife
superrevvy
Don't forget Sunday, Grammys, Coldplay and Rihanna performing together!

Also at the Grammys, for the first time, outside the theatre in a tent full
of ravers, Foo Fighters with Lil Wayne and Chris Brown!

Yes, in a better world, it would be the Stones with Adele, but them's the breaks...
Springsteen will also be at the Grammys!smiling bouncing smiley

And McCartney!

And The Beach Boys! Performing with the move-like-jaggers Maroon 5!
Including Brian Wilson for the first time in 15 years!

And Glen Campbell farewell performance!

And Adele, her first performance since throat surgery in November!

Nikki Minaj! Taylor Swift!

LL Cool J hosting!

Tony Bennet dueting with Carrie Underwood!

No Gaga!

And to repeat, in case you missed it, Chris Brown and Rihanna on the same bill!
Sharing the same backstage and, according to the tabloids, the same dressing room.

Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt pay homage to Etta James!

Maceo Parker, Diana Krall, and Joe Walsh! Not together I don't think.
Then again, who knows. None of the three are big enough at the moment to get
their own spot.

Lifetime Achievement award: The Allman Brothers!

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-12 08:29 by superrevvy.

Re: OT: Unbelievable Grammy Performance Line-up for Sunday. Springsteen, McCartney, Beach Boys, Coldplay, Adele, Rihanna, Chris Brown etc etc
Date: February 9, 2012 09:33

Also this:

Angry musicians will protest outside Sunday's Grammy Awards ceremony over a
decision to cut 31 ethnic and minority musical categories from the music industry's
top awards.

Organizers said on Wednesday they hoped dozens of music artists and fans of Latin,
jazz, gospel and blues music would join in the demonstration, and attend an
alternative concert.

Some 23,000 people have signed a petition demanding that the Recording Academy
reinstate Grammy Awards for Native American and Hawaiian music, and reverse cuts in
categories for Latin, Jazz, Gospel, R&B and Blues that were axed in a major overhaul
last year.

And this:

Social networking helps singer land an unlikely Grammy nod

And the Grammy nominees for this year’s best Americana album are: Emmylou
Harris, Lucinda Williams, Levon Helm, Ry Cooder, and . . . Linda Chorney.

Linda who?

That was the resounding response that rippled through the roots-music community
when Chorney, an unknown singer-songwriter originally from Sudbury, was
announced in November as a nominee for this year’s Grammys, which will take
place Sunday in Los Angeles.

Chorney, 51, is a dark horse among those well-established artists. Her story
would seem to be a celebration of the independent artist finally breaking
through on her own with no record label or publicist working behind the scenes.

Instead, her path to the Grammys is a testament to the increasing role of social
networking in defining the music industry.

Chorney - whose sound draws equally from folk, adult contemporary, and classic
rock - got on the Grammy ballot after directly connecting with Recording Academy
voters through Grammy365.com, the organization’s social-networking site that’s
not unlike Facebook. Using that route has drawn her as much fire as it has
praise.

With two weeks left in the nomination process last fall, Chorney and her
husband, Scott Fadynich, holed up in their New Jersey apartment and personally
appealed to voting members. Without ever using the words “vote for me,’’ they
asked members to listen to her latest record, the self-released “Emotional
Jukebox,’’ and consider it for best Americana album. To everyone’s surprise, they did.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 10:05 by superrevvy.

Re: OT: Unbelievable Grammy Performance Line-up Sunday. Springsteen, McCartney, Beach Boys (incl Brian), Coldplay, Adele, Rihanna, Chris Brown etc etc
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 9, 2012 16:15

superrevvy, are you working for the Grammys now?

Re: OT: Unbelievable Grammy Performance Line-up Sunday. Springsteen, McCartney, Beach Boys (incl Brian), Coldplay, Adele, Rihanna, Chris Brown etc etc
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 9, 2012 16:31

Can't wait to see this show. A lot of my favourite artists are performing. But in the UK we only get highlights so I'm hoping they show all the good stuff...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Re: OT: Unbelievable Grammy Performance Line-up for Sunday. Springsteen, McCartney, Beach Boys, Coldplay, Adele, Rihanna, Chris Brown etc etc
Date: February 9, 2012 16:31

superrevvy
And the Grammy nominees for this year’s best Americana album are: Emmylou
Harris, Lucinda Williams, Levon Helm, Ry Cooder, and Linda Chorney.

And the winner is...

Some Girls Deluxe Bonus Disk by the Rolling Stones!

Date: February 9, 2012 16:33

Ok, it's Keiths turn to rock the Grammys.

Date: February 9, 2012 16:43

steel driving hammer
Ok, it's Keiths turn to rock the Grammys.

Just announced! Just like on the cover of Esquire, Keith Eminem and lil wayne
doing their version of that beloved classic by Dillinger, "cocaine in my brain"

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: February 9, 2012 16:48

I didnt hear Springsteen will be there performing.

Date: February 9, 2012 16:57

Believeably BAD.

What makes a show gathering various "talent" seem to be a good thing and "unbelieveable"?

These shows are just stupid. The line up of talent is generally boring. Yeah Bonnie Raitt will be good. Glen Campbell's farewell performance? Please. Maroon 5? What, coming up with another "new" way to create something pathetic AND boring?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 9, 2012 17:25

OMG! Rihanna and Chris Brown are sharing the SAME DRESSING ROOM?!!? eeeeeeeeeeee!!! how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: February 9, 2012 17:31

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Believeably BAD.

What makes a show gathering various "talent" seem to be a good thing and "unbelieveable"?

These shows are just stupid. The line up of talent is generally boring. Yeah Bonnie Raitt will be good. Glen Campbell's farewell performance? Please. Maroon 5? What, coming up with another "new" way to create something pathetic AND boring?

So give us your plan to make it not stupid, pathetic, and boring.

Date: February 9, 2012 17:36

GumbootCloggeroo
OMG! Rihanna and Chris Brown are sharing the SAME DRESSING ROOM?!!? eeeeeeeeeeee!!! how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear to you, I made that up as a joke, but now this story just showed up:

Was Chris Brown In Rihanna’s Dressing Room For Five Hours During
Grammy Rehearsals?

Rumors that Chris Brown and Rihanna are headed to a reunion have been swirling
for months. And with their subliminal messages to each other on Twitter, the duo
hasn’t done much to quell the rumors. Adding more fuel to the fire are reports
that the former couple spent five hours together in her dressing room during
rehearsals for the Grammys on Monday. According to RumorFix:

“Sources tell RumorFix that the Barbadian beauty held up rehearsals for the
Grammys on the Sony lot in Los Angeles, while she was behind doors with her ex."

Being a Rihanna fan now reminds me of being a Stones fan in 1978 in that there
are new gossip stories every single day. It sure beats waiting months at a time
for table scraps from Mick and Keith.

Date: February 9, 2012 17:46

Allmans too!

Twenty-twelve is shaping up to be an Allman Brothers kind of year. Not only will
the legendary jam band be saluted with the Grammy Award for lifetime achievement
during Sunday’s telecast, but three of its veteran musicians are battling for a best blues album trophy.

“Of course it’s strange to be competing against Derek (Trucks) and Warren
(Haynes),” says Gregg Allman, whose Low Country Blues will vie against the
Tedeschi-Trucks Band’s Revelator and Haynes’ Man in Motion. The other nominees
are Marcia Ball (Roadside Attractions) and Keb’ Mo’ (The Reflection).

“But the fact remains, I earned a Grammy nomination all by my lonesome,” Allman
says. And considering that he’s only picked up one award to date — in 1996, for
a live version of the instrumental Jessica — he wouldn’t mind winning. “A Grammy
marks a whole bunch of hard, dedicated work.”

Perhaps not surprisingly, both Trucks and Haynes like their frontman’s chances.

“It’s a no-brainer. Gregg puts out records so rarely (his first in 14 years) and
this one is just great,” says slide guitar ace Trucks, whose uncle, Butch
Trucks, founded the band with Allman and his late brother Duane in 1969. “That
said, I’d love to see Susan (Tedeschi, Trucks’ wife and bandmate) walk away with a Grammy.”

Haynes says he’d vote for either of his friends to win, though he admits to
being partial to Allman since he co-wrote a song (Just Another Rider) on Low
Country Blues, a rootsy collection guided by producer T Bone Burnett and
featuring the keyboard work of Dr. John.

“But, in the end, it’s all family,” Haynes says. (For the record, a fourth
Allman Brothers band member could share in the Grammy spotlight: Bass player
Oteil Burbridge also plays in Trucks’ ensemble.) “Us all being recognized like
this is a nice testament to the strength of the Allmans as a band.”

The three nominated albums present different sides of the blues coin, with
Allman revisiting standards, Haynes paying tribute to the Stax soul sound and
Trucks weaving his signature slide with Tedeschi’s penetrating vocals.

Date: February 9, 2012 18:30

thewatchman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Believeably BAD.

So give us your plan to make it not stupid, pathetic, and boring.

I have nothing to do with it, just like you. It's strictly a observation.

Re: OT: Grammys Sunday! Performing: Springsteen, McCartney, Beach Boys (incl Brian), Coldplay, Adele, Rihanna, Chris Brown etc. Lifetime achievement: Allman Bros
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 9, 2012 18:59

Tony Bennett dueling with Carrie Underwood and not Gaga?

I love Glen Campbell and his new cd got excellent reviews, but I hate seeing artists like this on the Grammys these days. Who there is going to know who he is? The Stax tribute and Allman thing might be interesting, but these shows are so dominated by younger hip hop, Rihanna, Niki Minaj-type artists/fans types that I always get a feeling these kids are just wondering who all the old farts are. They seem to have that little past references.
The last time I watched an entire Grammy show was when Fleetwood Mac swept with Rumours. It's a sham.

Re: OT: Grammys Sunday! Performing: Springsteen, McCartney, Beach Boys (incl Brian), Coldplay, Adele, Rihanna, Chris Brown etc. Lifetime achievement: Allman Bros
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: February 9, 2012 22:51

stupidguy2

I love Glen Campbell and his new cd got excellent reviews, but I hate seeing artists like this on the Grammys these days. Who there is going to know who he is? The Stax tribute and Allman thing might be interesting, but these shows are so dominated by younger hip hop, Rihanna, Niki Minaj-type artists/fans types that I always get a feeling these kids are just wondering who all the old farts are. They seem to have that little past references.
The last time I watched an entire Grammy show was when Fleetwood Mac swept with Rumours. It's a sham.

I agree with you 100% I stopped watching awards shows long ago. They seemed like pointless wastes of time. However, if the Allman Brothers, Tony Bennett and Glen Campbell are going to perform I'm going to record it and play the good parts back later.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2012 00:15

superrevvy
GumbootCloggeroo

I swear to you, I made that up as a joke, but now this story just showed up:

Was Chris Brown In Rihanna’s Dressing Room For Five Hours During
Grammy Rehearsals?

Rumors that Chris Brown and Rihanna are headed to a reunion have been swirling
for months. And with their subliminal messages to each other on Twitter, the duo
hasn’t done much to quell the rumors. Adding more fuel to the fire are reports
that the former couple spent five hours together in her dressing room during
rehearsals for the Grammys on Monday. According to RumorFix:

“Sources tell RumorFix that the Barbadian beauty held up rehearsals for the
Grammys on the Sony lot in Los Angeles, while she was behind doors with her ex."

Being a Rihanna fan now reminds me of being a Stones fan in 1978 in that there
are new gossip stories every single day. It sure beats waiting months at a time
for table scraps from Mick and Keith

It beats table scraps from M & K, unless you don't happen to give a shit about Rhianna and Chris Brown...in which case it doesn't beat M & K's table scraps.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2012 00:18

Last year's Grammy's were a very entertaining show, from Mick, to Dylan and Mumford & Sons, and even Eminem, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Cee Lo and Janelle Monae.

It wasn't all my taste in music but it was a good show and I'll be watching again this year.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 10, 2012 00:38

CBII
stupidguy2

I agree with you 100% I stopped watching awards shows long ago. They seemed like pointless wastes of time. However, if the Allman Brothers, Tony Bennett and Glen Campbell are going to perform I'm going to record it and play the good parts back later.
DITTO

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:50

I'm pretty sure they'll have an Etta James tribute with Adele - she loved Etta.
But I really can't watch the other stuff. I am not looking forward to watching Glenn Campbell up there, in his fragile condition, singing his new song or Galveston etc....and then watch an audience reaction shot of Eminem or Lil Wayne or MIA or whatever looking around in their oversized shades like they're bored. Cos they don't have a clue who this man is. And that's a shame, because it really is a nice comeback story.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 01:52 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:53

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE ALLMAN BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 10, 2012 03:40

Lord its such a pity whats happening to Campbell

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: February 10, 2012 06:01

ablett

Yes its sad what he is getting, he is a great singer and admire him alot.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:04

GumbootCloggeroo

My thought exactly.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 10, 2012 13:08

tipps
ablett

Yes its sad what he is getting, he is a great singer and admire him alot.

Great guitar player too. Sad story.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 10, 2012 17:44

More Hot Rocks
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE ALLMAN BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't it be nice if they could reconcile with Dickey Betts for at least one evening...

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 10, 2012 19:13

Date: February 11, 2012 02:52

Grammys preview: Beach Boys to bring good vibrations

by Edna Gundersen - Feb. 10, 2012 05:11 PM
USA TODAY

BURBANK, Calif. - The Beach Boys, flanked by Foster the People and Maroon 5's
Adam Levine, are pouring on the harmonies in a rousing run-through of "Good
Vibrations." After years strained by acrimony and lawsuits, the iconic surf-pop
band is having fun, fun, fun.

Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston are at a
CenterStaging studio rehearsing for a pivotal performance, their first with
Wilson in more than two decades.

The medley, which includes Beach Boys covers "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by Foster and
"Surfer Girl" by Maroon 5, is shaping up to be a peak moment at Sunday's Grammy
Awards (CBS, 8 p.m. ET/tape delay PT) and a high-profile launch of the band's
50th-anniversary docket.

Wilson, 69, confesses to Grammy butterflies but adds, "It's a happy feeling. We
all sound good. The songs are as fresh as the day they were made."

The Beach Boys never won a Grammy ("Vibrations" lost to the Mamas and the Papas'
"Monday, Monday," among others, in 1966), nor have they played on the telecast.
No hard feelings, says Love, 70.

"It's great that we're regarded highly enough by the powers that be at the
Grammys that they want us on the show," he says, relating how a recent re-
recording of "Do It Again" at Capitol Records set the reunion in motion. "Brian
told me, 'You sound pretty good for a 70-year-old guy.' It's what we've done all
our lives. It's a fantastic milestone, 50 years. The beauty of it is that the
songs Brian and I created will outlive us."

The reconciliation "was inevitable, in spite of rumors to the contrary," says
Jardine, 69. "There's a tendency for bands to fall apart, but if we can get back
together and do it again, anybody can, even in this economy. People need hope
and a way out of all this despair. We can bring good vibrations to everybody."

Date: February 11, 2012 02:58

The broadcast will open with Bruce!

By Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times

February 11, 2012
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band ripped through a brawny version of his new
protest song, "We Take Care of Our Own," Friday at the Staples Center during a
Grammy Awards rehearsal.

Springsteen and his band — now, sadly, moving forward without the late Clarence
Clemons — played with a 14-piece string section and plenty of guitar thunder while
another Grammy performer, crooner Tony Bennett, watched from the floor.

In gray jeans, a dark V-neck shirt and a necklace laden with silver charms, the
rock icon kicked off the number with the words "Let's make some noise," executed it
with plenty of guitar windmills then jumped atop an amp for the song's finale.

Date: February 11, 2012 03:13

loog droog
GumbootCloggeroo

My thought exactly.

I agree. Anybody who shows any enthusiasm for anything is obviously paid.

Paid to try to get a few thousand aging Stones fans to watch a broadcast that
will easily pull in a worldwide audience of 160 million.

yes, droog and gumboot, you are that important! you rule!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home