Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Bill Ward "Fired" By Sharon Osbourne
Date: February 17, 2012 22:53

sweetcharmedlife
The Black Sabbath reunion tour is now Ozzie & Friends.
[consequenceofsound.net]

if you read its due to tony's cancer

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 18, 2012 00:42

I'll update my original response to this entire debacle to,

"This reunion is TOTALLY screwed"

This does not bode well for Iommi. I'm no fan, but I hate it
when people suffer. CANCER SUCKS.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: February 18, 2012 01:26

This is a really sad outcome of what was billed as the reunion of the year. All things considered, a man's life is in jeopardy so anything else should be irrelevant. I am awfully disappointed that I won't witness the original band despite holding a ticket with Black Sabbath printed across it, just mere couple of months ago, but I guess that I'll settle for the alternative. They could have easily just cancelled the whole thing but they decided to soldier on and trying to at least offer some semblance of the real thing. I still have mixed feeling about it though.While I am sure that the band consisting of two original members and hired guns is still able to deliver the thrills, the fact of constantly being reminded of Iommi's absence might ruin the experience. Given the life and death circumstances it might turn into a really sad and distasteful affair.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 18, 2012 01:44

Is Bill Ward eligible for unemployment benefits?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 18, 2012 01:55

letitloose

As someone else pointed out Ozzy got an equal share of all the Sabbath songwriting tho he never wrote the music and Butler wrote most of the lyrics.

He didn't write any of the music?

Whether you realize it not, by saying that, you're implying that Butler (or Burt or Tony) took Ozzy aside to show him what notes to sing the lyrics to.

When writing music, there's something called a topline. It's the melody - the musical notes which the lyrics are sung to.

Let's say person A, B and C write an instrumental track together.
Now person A has some lyrics that they've written.... for person D to sing on the same track. Person D didn't come up with the instrumental music, nor the lyrics. But if/when person D creates the timing and notes to use to sing those lyrics, then yes, person D is entitaled to songwriting credit.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 18, 2012 01:59

jamesfdouglas
letitloose

As someone else pointed out Ozzy got an equal share of all the Sabbath songwriting tho he never wrote the music and Butler wrote most of the lyrics.

Whether you realize it not, by saying that, you're implying that Butler (or Burt or Tony) took Ozzy aside to show him what notes to sing the lyrics to.

When writing music, there's something called a topline. It's the melody - the musical notes which the lyrics are sung to.

Now person A has some lyrics that they've written.... for person D to sing on the same track. Person D didn't come up with the instrumental music, nor the lyrics. But if/when person D creates the timing and notes to use to sing those lyrics, then yes, person D is entitled to songwriting credit.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 18, 2012 02:03

i received this press release today - hoo, brother

BLACK SABBATH

TOUR UPDATE:

BAND’S SOLE EUROPEAN PERFORMANCE THIS SUMMER SET FOR U.K.’S DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL

OZZY & FRIENDS TO PERFORM MAJORITY OF OTHER

SCHEDULED SHOWS

BLACK SABBATH --who late last year confirmed the recording of their first new album in more than 33 years and a worldwide headlining tour--have had to put some plans on hold due to Tony Iommi’s battle with lymphoma. At this time, BLACK SABBATH will perform only one show of this summer’s previously scheduled European tour. It will take place Sunday, June 10 at the U.K.’s Download Festival.

So as not to let the promoters and fans down, OZZY OSBOURNE will now perform the majority of the previously scheduled BLACK SABBATH dates (both festival performances and the headlining shows) billed as OZZY & FRIENDS. These “first ever” OZZY & FRIENDS shows will feature appearances by “special guest” musicians including GEEZER BUTLER (who will join Ozzy for a special BLACK SABBATH set as a show of respect and support to their friend, Tony Iommi) and longtime former OZZY band member Zakk Wylde. In addition, OZZY will be accompanied by longtime collaborator and friend Slash at select shows, with other “special guests” set to join the tour at various stops along the way (full list of dates, appearances below).

Tony Iommi continues to make excellent progress and is looking forward to getting back out on the road. Meanwhile, BLACK SABBATH continue to write and record music in the U.K. for their upcoming album. More information about these dates and BLACK SABBATH’s recording and touring plans is forthcoming.

The 2012 tour dates are as follows:

BLACK SABBATH

DATE CITY VENUE

Sun 6/10 Donnington UK Download Festival

OZZY AND FRIENDS

DATE CITY VENUE

Wed 5/23 Helsinki, Finland Hartwall Arena

Fri 5/25 Stockholm, Sweden Stadium

Sun 5/27 Jelling, Denmark Jelling Festival

Tue 5/29 Bergen, Norway Bergen Calling Festival

Thu 5/31 Oslo, Norway Spektrum

Sat 6/2 Malmo, Sweden Malmo Stadium

Mon 6/4 Dortmund, Germany Westfalenhalle

Wed 6/6 Prague, Czech Rep O2 Arena

Fri 6/15 Vitoria, Spain Azkena Rock Festival

Sun 6/17 Clisson, France Hellfest

Fri 6/22 Dessel, Belgium Graspop Metal Meeting

Sun 6/24 Milan, Italy Gods of Metal Festival

Tue 6/26 Vienna, Austria Stadthalle

Thu 6/28 Belgrade, Serbia USCE Park

Sun 7/1 Athens, Greece Rockwave Festival – Terra

Date: February 18, 2012 02:20

jamesfdouglas
letitloose

Now person A has some lyrics that they've written.... for person D to sing on the same track. Person D didn't come up with the instrumental music, nor the lyrics. But if/when person D creates the timing and notes to use to sing those lyrics, then yes, person D is entitaled to songwriting credit.

umm thats not at all how a songwriting credit works. whoever came up with the lyrics and music gets the credit. you can't copyright an idea and thats what timing of lyric delivery is. ozzy most of the time just sings the melody of the damn song anyways

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 18, 2012 02:22

hbwriter
y

So as not to let the promoters and fans down, OZZY OSBOURNE will now perform the majority of the previously scheduled BLACK SABBATH dates (both festival performances and the headlining shows) billed as OZZY & FRIENDS.

The fans have already been let down. I wonder if ticketholders even have the option of asking for a refund. I think that's what I would do. If you bought some really expensive Rolling Stones tickets, and only Mick, Ronnie, and some special "friends" showed up, wouldn't you want at least some of your money back?

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 18, 2012 02:39

Brian Jones just called. He wants to be reinstated as leader of The Stones.

Date: February 20, 2012 00:37

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 00:45 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: February 20, 2012 00:44

keefriffhard4life
umm thats not at all how a songwriting credit works. whoever came up with the lyrics and music gets the credit.

You've missed my point completely. Writing the topeline IS part of writing the music.

keefriffhard4life
you can't copyright an idea and thats what timing of lyric delivery is.

just timing, no. But if you'd read what I'd written you would know that I meant the notes together with the timing (aka rhythm).

keefriffhard4life
ozzy most of the time just sings the melody of the damn song anyways

Correct. The melody which he came up with - ie... the notes used to sing the words to which he wrote.

I believe I've done enough professional music writing to know what I'm talking about.
I need a drink...

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 00:46 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 20, 2012 00:47

Sharon Osbourne has much experience in firings.. Herself has been fired from talk shows, and public opinion. She is qualified to fire! drinking smiley

Date: February 20, 2012 02:40

Someone needs to change the name of this site from iorr.org to OT.org

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 20, 2012 03:09

Retire and get on with it....

Date: February 20, 2012 06:39

jamesfdouglas
keefriffhard4life
umm thats not at all how a songwriting credit works. whoever came up with the lyrics and music gets the credit.

You've missed my point completely. Writing the topeline IS part of writing the music.

keefriffhard4life

just timing, no. But if you'd read what I'd written you would know that I meant the notes together with the timing (aka rhythm).

keefriffhard4life

Correct. The melody which he came up with - ie... the notes used to sing the words to which he wrote.

I believe I've done enough professional music writing to know what I'm talking about.
I need a drink...

dude i took copyright law in college. timing and melody can't be copyrighted because those are ideas. ozzy didn't write any of the melodies.i can name 10+ sabbath songs where ozzy is either singing the lyrics to the melody of the riff iommi wrote (iron man, paranoid, sabbath bloody sabbath) or singing the lyrics over top of the base chord structure of the song (symptom of the universe, war pigs) which again iommi wrote. sabbath use to share the writing credits but if they were going by the book ozzy wouldn't have any because he didn't put anything on paper to submit. anything ozzy did was an idea and ideas aren't copyright material

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 08:08

Well Ozzy is listed as a co-writer on most songs. And he only wrote a few of their lyrics, Geezer Butler wrote 99% of the Black Sabath lyrics. So to get that credit he must have participated in the studio in constructing the songs and adding creative input. That is copywritable. And yes melodies are certainly able to be copywrited. That is a mainstay in music publishing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 08:35 by whitem8.

Date: February 20, 2012 08:32

whitem8
Well Ozzy is listed as a co-writer on most songs. And he only wrote a few of their lyrics, Geezer Butler wrote 99% of the Black Sabath lyrics. So to get that credit he must have participated in the studio in constructing the songs and adding creative input. That is copywritable.

i just said the band shared the writing credits equally so that everyone got the same royalty payments. it was to keep the band united not because all 4 members helped write every song. a lot of bands do his to try and keep royalties even

Date: February 20, 2012 08:41

I don't think that was the case with OZZY. He was part of the creative process in the studio, and as such was contributing to the final product. There was no love loss between Iommi and Ozzy, so I doubt Iommi would have worried about giving Ozzy credit just to give him a piece of the royalties. By all accounts Ozzy's unique vocal delivery did help construct melodies for the songs which would have entitled him to a writing credit.

Date: February 20, 2012 08:50

whitem8
I don't think that was the case with OZZY. He was part of the creative process in the studio, and as such was contributing to the final product. There was no love loss between Iommi and Ozzy, so I doubt Iommi would have worried about giving Ozzy credit just to give him a piece of the royalties. By all accounts Ozzy's unique vocal delivery did help construct melodies for the songs which would have entitled him to a writing credit.

geezer and iommi have named specific songs that ozzy wrote nothing for. bill ward gets a writing credit on everything and wasn't even presesnt when most of the songs were written. there are now instrumental demo's of some sabbath songs floating around and the vocal melody can already be heard in the music. i already gave examples. "iron man" ozzy is following the songs riff melody exactlty. pretty easy to hand ozzy a sheet of lyrics and say sing these to this melody.

ozzy did the same thing as a solo artist. he gets a writing credit on every song and hardly ever wrote them. bob daisley wrote most of his lyrics in the 80's and randy, jake and zakk wrote the music. daisley said ozzy was asleep on a couch when he and randy wrote "crazy train" and "goodbye to romonance".

Date: February 20, 2012 08:59

Well sounds like Ozzy is really good at shafting everyone. . .

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 20, 2012 17:01

:-( Black Sabbath tour cancelled. But no, wait, Ozzy and Friends will play the gigs that were sold out as Black Sabbath reunion.

Edit: the pre-sale where I bought my ticket just announced that there will be the re-fund option. That is fair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 17:06 by Happy24.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 21, 2012 01:13

DRUMMER REACHES OUT TO BLACK SABBATH AGAIN

2/20/2012

Despite his concerns about a "signable contract," Bill Ward still wants to be part of Black Sabbath. The drummer has issued a new statement saying that, "At the earliest opportunity, I am prepared to go to the UK and record, and later tour with the band...Last week, we sent further communication to the attorney handling the negotiations to try to reach an agreement. At this time we are waiting to hear back. I remain hopeful for a 'signable' contract and a positive outcome." Last month Ward had posted a message on his Facebook page and web site saying, in effect, that negotiations had broken down. His three bandmates -- Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler -- followed up by stating they would go on with or without Ward. Ward's new statement also says that, "While believing in your freedom for expression, keep in mind that Tony, Ozzy and Geezer are still my lifetime friends. I cannot support comments with an objectifying or derogatory theme toward them or their various representatives." The group has moved recording of its first album together in 33 years from Los Angeles to London, where Iommi is being treated for lymphoma. The disease has caused Sabbath to cancel a planned summer tour; the group will play one show, June 10 at the Download Festival in Great Britain, while an Ozzy & Friends band, which includes Butler, will play 15 other dates. Clearly this is far from over.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 21, 2012 07:07

this could have been something special.

hope the best for iommi. met him a few years ago and what a supe nice guy he is.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 27, 2012 01:10

Sharon said that BS will be doing one show in the States in August.

After Tony Iommi announced he was battling cancer and Bill Ward became enmeshed in contract disputes, Black Sabbath put the kibosh on their reunion tour plans — but Ozzy Osbourne’s wife and manager Sharon says that Sabbath will in fact perform a single show in the U.S. later this year.

She told VH1 Radio Network’s Dave Basner:

“They’re gonna be doing one show in America this summer but I can’t say yet because we can’t announce it, the promoters have to … But they are doing one show in August here together.”

Sharon also took issue with the rumors that she had something to do with Ward’s contract issues:

“It’s unbelievable. Everybody has their own manager in Sabbath. They’ve been doing this a long time and we have an independent team of people that work for everybody because everybody’s got their own manager … And I get the blame because Bill doesn’t want to play with the band — he doesn’t like his deal and I get the blame. It’s like, ‘Alright, I’m a big girl, I can take it.’”

And what about the recording sessions for a new Sabbath album?

“[They're] going good. They’re doing really well in the studio. Gosh, they must’ve written 15 new songs already and it’s going great.”

Whether Ward is involved or not, Black Sabbath are still planning to perform at U.K.’s Download Festival on June 10, with the rest of the concert tour — featuring Zakk Wylde and Slash on select dates — billed as Ozzy & Friends.
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: February 27, 2012 01:21

keefriffhard4life
jamesfdouglas
keefriffhard4life

keefriffhard4life

keefriffhard4life

I need a drink...

dude i took copyright law in college. timing and melody can't be copyrighted because those are ideas. ozzy didn't write any of the melodies.i can name 10+ sabbath songs where ozzy is either singing the lyrics to the melody of the riff iommi wrote (iron man, paranoid, sabbath bloody sabbath) or singing the lyrics over top of the base chord structure of the song (symptom of the universe, war pigs) which again iommi wrote. sabbath use to share the writing credits but if they were going by the book ozzy wouldn't have any because he didn't put anything on paper to submit. anything ozzy did was an idea and ideas aren't copyright material

A melody can't be copyrighted. Really. Wow.
I guess you didn't pass that course, eh?
Pfff!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 27, 2012 06:34

jamesfdouglas
keefriffhard4life
jamesfdouglas
keefriffhard4life

keefriffhard4life

keefriffhard4life

I need a drink...

A melody can't be copyrighted. Really. Wow.
I guess you didn't pass that course, eh?
Pfff!!!

if its not written down anywhere no it can't be. it falls into the realm of an idea. i've seen what sabbath has copyrighted and as far as i know its just the lyrics and the sheet music to play the song. there is no copyrighted material i've seen that has the lyrics with the notes you are supposed to sing so in fact any melody ozzy adds to the song (which is still none since most of the time he is singing the same notes as the songs riff) is not copyrighted. try again dude

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home