Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Brian Wilson cancels upcoming tour due to illness
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: June 7, 2019 03:35

Dear friends,

It is with great regret that I need to postpone my upcoming June tour.
It is no secret that I have been living with mental illness for many decades.
There were times when it was unbearable but with doctors and medications I have been able to live a wonderful, healthy and productive life with support from my family, friends and fans who have helped me through this journey.
As you may know in the last year or so I’ve had 3 surgeries on my back. The surgeries were successful and i’m physically stronger than i’ve been in a long time.
However, after my last surgery i started feeling strange and it’s been pretty scary for awhile. I was not feeling like myself. Mentally insecure is how I’d describe it. We're not sure what is causing it but i do know that it’s not good for me to be on the road right now so I’m heading back to Los Angeles.
I had every intention to do these shows and was excited to get back to performing. I've been in the studio recording and rehearsing with my band and have been feeling better. But then it crept back and I’ve been struggling with stuff in my head and saying things I don’t mean and I don’t know why. Its something i’ve never dealt with before and we cant quite figure it out just yet.
I’m going to rest, recover and work with my doctors on this.
I’m looking forward to my recovery and seeing everyone later in the year.
The music and my fans keep me going and I know this will be something I can AGAIN overcome.

Love & Mercy,

Brian Wilson
(from his instagram page)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-21 04:46 by bv.

Re: OT Brian Wilson cancels upcoming tour due to mental illness
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 7, 2019 03:41

That's a shame.

I think there was some speculation here about how much agency Brian has over his business affairs, and how much of it is him being pushed by his handlers into staying on the road. I hate hearing about things like that.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 7, 2019 03:45

I can't recall a day on IORR being so moving on many fronts in a long time.

He will be ok - My fav quote by him is " He has a voice from the heavens"

Referring to his brother Carl (RIP) Example "Don't Worry Baby"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-07 04:21 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 7, 2019 03:49

it sounds like he is getting the help he needs, which hasn't always been the case. prayer up for him.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 7, 2019 04:01

Someone must have told him that he was scheduled to play in Lynn, MA tomorrow night. Home of the infamous concert in '66.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 7, 2019 04:14

…. Life's tuff ….
hope he makes it thru …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 7, 2019 04:37

Gotta love this guy. His music has brought so much joy to my life (and, many others). Take care, Brian

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 7, 2019 04:46

That's as real as it gets. Good for him for opening up on his mental health struggles. Sounds like he's getting the help he needs and will hopefully be fully recovered soon.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 7, 2019 04:49

I wish the man well...
Do you think he wrote that himself?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 7, 2019 04:54

He's making the right call.

Literally just a week ago I got into a mini Beach Boys mode and when I do that I think regularly about how lucky we are to still have Brian Wilson. That was not a given way back then and by all accounts he probably should be dead or basically a vegetable. I'm thrilled by some miracle he isn't.

He was probably the first person I ever loved. His documentary and the re-recorded Do It Again for the I Just Wasn't Made For These Times semi-comeback album was among one of the first musical things I ever truly resonated with and thats always stuck with me. Brian Wilson performing Smile at Carnegie Hall was the first concert I ever saw. I saw 2 rows behind Van Dyke Parks. Its never been lost on me that, for all intents and purposes, Brian Wilson is essentially a robotic child now. He talks like a robot, shows little emotion, and what he does display almost amounts to that of a 10 year old. Its not a dig, if anything I just think its an observation. He's definitely a strange individual, but one of very few musicians that deserves "genius" in front of his name. I'm glad that through everything, and even the manbaby Brian Wilson we have today, he's still here. I'm happy he's doing the right thing and taking a break the way guys like Tom Petty should have. Its a miracle they're still around, don't push it. Take it easy. The fact that most are out still touring is a gift. If it all went away tomorrow, it lasted way longer than anyone thought and it probably should have.

I wish him a speedy recovery. The genius Brian Wilson.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 7, 2019 05:09

Assuming he wrote it, it is honest and heartfelt. God bless him, I wish him well.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 7, 2019 05:13

I grew up in Southern California in the '60's and the Beach Boys' music defined my existence like the air I breathed. Cars, girls, the beach, one's hopes and fears, finding your place in the world...the world of those lyrics was right before my eyes. My heart goes out to the man responsible for those songs, a gentle, fragile soul.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 7, 2019 05:44

Best wishes to him. Hopefully he can make the Beacon date with The Zombies.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 7, 2019 05:46

Kurt
I wish the man well...

I doubt it. Sounds like it was written by his publicist.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: June 7, 2019 07:11

I saw him in a small indoor amphitheater a few years ago and happened to be sitting eye level and facing him - and the way he gazes while he sings and plays, strikes me as a guy who's the classic 'tortured genius' - trying to be an artist while keeping the demons at bay. It's like he had a really bad acid trip and never got completely over it (that's partially the truth, actually).

My friend next to me kept muttering "Poor Brian" throughout the show, and yes, poor guy has been through the ringer.

He fared better than other mental breakdown casualties like Syd Barrett, Sly Stone or Peter Green. Guess he's a survivor.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 7, 2019 09:41

TornAndFried
Kurt
I wish the man well...

I thought the opposite, actually--the struggle to explain what is wrong doesn't sound like the slick copy a publicist would write. But who knows. I wish him only the best, anyway.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 7, 2019 10:18

mosthigh
I saw him in a small indoor amphitheater a few years ago and happened to be sitting eye level and facing him - and the way he gazes while he sings and plays, strikes me as a guy who's the classic 'tortured genius' - trying to be an artist while keeping the demons at bay. It's like he had a really bad acid trip and never got completely over it (that's partially the truth, actually).

My friend next to me kept muttering "Poor Brian" throughout the show, and yes, poor guy has been through the ringer.

He fared better than other mental breakdown casualties like Syd Barrett, Sly Stone or Peter Green. Guess he's a survivor.

Couldn't agree more.
I saw him at Doncaster UK last year....and thought 'Why doesnt he just stick to the recording studio?'....which of course was the decision he made back in 1965.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 7, 2019 12:28

Love and Mercy. Just love Brian Wilson and his great music.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-07 12:28 by bv.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 7, 2019 13:26

I wish Brian Wilson the best to be healthy and live long and prosper . I will say that Brian Wilson is a survivor and I hope he is able to heal himself with the help of his medical team . Best wishes for a most healthy recovery .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-07 18:25 by TheGreek.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 7, 2019 13:30

Get well Brian Wilson and keep playing your beautiful music.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 7, 2019 15:12

Aquamarine
TornAndFried
Kurt
I wish the man well...

I thought the opposite, actually--the struggle to explain what is wrong doesn't sound like the slick copy a publicist would write. But who knows. I wish him only the best, anyway.

I don't have any idea how articulate Brian Wilson is these days. They may be his own thoughts but polished up with the help of a publicist or perhaps his wife? Anyway I'm glad he is getting the help he needs. I think he should retire from touring at this point. It doesn't seem to be good for his health.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-07 15:57 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 7, 2019 15:16

Saw him last year on a Pet Sounds show-- hate to say it, but I came away feeling he wa used more as a prop than a performer. He spoke a lot of the lines he would normally sing, and seemed quite uncomfortable up there on stage.

glad he's getting the help he needs.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2019 08:53

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 8, 2019 09:33

Carl Wilson had one of the greatest voices ever. He kinda goes unnoticed.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 8, 2019 18:33

I wish him well regarding his recovery. One has to hope that he is given the time to do so.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 8, 2019 19:11

Poor guy - hope he can find some peace of mind.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 8, 2019 23:25

Such honesty in his statement - he certainly is not lacking courage. I hope
this break will be the catalyst to his recovery.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 9, 2019 00:27

I would hope that the comments were by Brian himself, but who knows ?
I am going through a period of over 3 years now when I can identify with some of the things Brian has said.
Having had mental health problems on and off since 1992, I have always been open about it and always got back to my normal self after a year maybe.......but not this time. confused smiley
This is something I just can't shake off...……………..but positive thinking will get me through it in the end.
My best wishes to Brian for his recovery...……...and also for mine. smileys with beer

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 9, 2019 00:27

It will be interesting to see if he will still do the Zombies tour in a few months. The tour that he cancelled had not sold well, at least in some places. The tour was also "Pet Sounds" yet again, which he has not performed well in years. He was in a wheel chair at his last concert.

The band always gets good reviews, while Brian himself has declined in recent years. Maybe they can eventually perform without Brian. They have Al and Blondie. Call it the Brian Wilson Band and perform all the Beach Boys classics, with some select shows where they perform albums that are preferred by Brian fans. Brian can turn up if and when he feels up to it.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 9, 2019 02:16

Wilson has never had it easy with a pretty tough upbringing and later with that quack Landy.
Quick tip: Watch the movie Love & Mercy starring John Cusack as Brian. It’s such a great movie. Yes better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home