Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Weather
Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: June 17, 2019 03:14

Have The Rolling Stones ever cancelled a show due to weather, such as thunderstorms?

Re: Weather
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 17, 2019 03:51

chrisvw
Have The Rolling Stones ever cancelled a show due to weather, such as thunderstorms?

IIRC they postponed a show in Montreal in 98 due to an ice storm.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: June 17, 2019 03:54

Positive thoughts everyone, let's take it a day at a time with the weather. Delete this thread also please...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2019 04:19

What’s the forecast?

Date: June 17, 2019 04:23

In 2006 they played Halifax Canada during a bad rain storm with howling winds. They cut one song off at the end. It was a great show and they mentioned it the next day. I was up over the stage above them and yes, it was a horrible night weather wise - but the place was rocking.

Date: June 17, 2019 04:25

Koen
What’s the forecast?

High 60’s and scattered thunderstorms.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 17, 2019 04:52

The trick here, is that for those of us that live im IL, it has been a VERY rainy Spring/Summer. So some of us that have brought up weather aren't trying to be negative, we just know what the weather had been the last 3 months.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2019 06:38

1985jayer
Positive thoughts everyone, let's take it a day at a time with the weather. Delete this thread also please...

The weather has taken a turn for worse in the past few years. It's relevant considering the Stones will be playing open stadiums this summer. Positive thoughts won't change anything.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 17, 2019 15:33

DGA35
chrisvw

IIRC they postponed a show in Montreal in 98 due to an ice storm.

This was partly true I think, they canceled /postponed the next show in Toronto January 9 due to laryngitis of Mick Jagger to April 26 of 1998. Montreal was planned on January 5 or 6 of 1998 if I remember well. We came in with de Dutch Fanclub Shattered! on January 6 or 7 in Toronto and hearing the bad news of the cancellation. Most of us selled their tickets, I came back with 8 or 10 others in April for the rescheduled show.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 17, 2019 17:11

'God joins the band every night in the form of rain or wind.' - Keith Richards

Love this quote!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 17, 2019 17:31

It says a lot about this band that when its p*ssing with rain and the audience is soaked to the skin ...they don't hide under the canopy but come down the ramps and get soaked with us.

I've always loved that about them.

[Though I've sometimes felt for the backline crew... who then have to sort out those dripping wet guitars ! ]

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: June 17, 2019 17:39

Almost

Nijmegen 2007 , a thunderstorm broke out during Van Morrison 's concert.

He played 3 1/2 songs

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:36

The 5 September 1998 concert in The Hague was very wet.

But not cancelled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-17 18:44 by Koen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:44

Lien
Almost

He played 3 1/2 songs

[youtu.be]

Thanks never seen that video - that was a solid drencher! I remember my wife and I under one of those giant clear tarps shared with several others and fully enjoying ourselves.
Despite the short set, I still rank that among the better openers I've seen lol . In fact all openers - no matter how great they are - should be limited to 3 1/2 songs and have to suffer through a rain storm! winking smiley
I did see him open in Oakland the prior year doing a full set, and rumor had it he was supposed to join the Stones on stage for Little Red Rooster I think it was, but it never happened.

Similar rainy experience at one of the Licks shows in San Francisco w/Sheryl Crow opening, though nowhere near as hard of a rain as Nijmegen.
Once she finished her set, the skies cleared!

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:52

Lien
Almost

He played 3 1/2 songs

[youtu.be]

I was also in Nijmegen 2007.... but Paris July 1, 95 was a bit more worse for me....what a heavy rain there

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:55

Koen
The 5 September 1998 concert in The Hague was very wet.

But not cancelled.

I was there. I drove in on the day from Oxfordshire, U.K. It had rained hard earlier in the day, stopped for the start of the show then absolutely poured down from about the 3rd song in. 86,000 there and the Malieveld quickly turned into a mudbsth. But everyone was laughing about it and the band played remarkably well considering the weather. Clear plastic sheets were held above everyone’s head to keep dry. Both band and fans were soaked.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 17, 2019 19:39

My tickets say rain or shine

Date: June 17, 2019 20:23

Cooltoplady

it's true that rain alone won't cause a show to be cancelled, but if there's lightning, i'm pretty sure they'll clear the stadium. i think lollapalooza a couple of years ago was shut down due to lightning. it's not up to the band, but the venue.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 17, 2019 20:48

Same with Pearl Jam at Wrigley several years ago.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 17, 2019 20:49

chrisvw
Cooltoplady

it's true that rain alone won't cause a show to be cancelled, but if there's lightning, i'm pretty sure they'll clear the stadium. i think lollapalooza a couple of years ago was shut down due to lightning. it's not up to the band, but the venue.

Coldplay (yeah I know) at Soldier Field got delayed due to thunderstorms. They played until 1am or something crazy

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 17, 2019 20:55

This was at Beyonce/Jay Z MetLife last year (it rained but the show continued):
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 17, 2019 21:00

Worst weather for a Stones-Show: [iorr.org] .

Stones-Concert ever been cancelled due to weather? - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 18, 2019 01:43

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 21:08 by Xam.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 18, 2019 01:52

i live in scotland, near glasgow, we dont get much in this part of the world and when it comes to weather things dont improve much, we might get a nice spell in summer but this year its just been low temps, rain, wind and not much to get excited about. january and february here we had a lot of sunshine, maybe a record, but no use in getting sunshine in winter, as it means lower temps, now were getting little sunshine, hope it changes soon. its depressing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home