Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger Interview 1978
Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: February 7, 2012 19:46

This is from 'Sounds'. Sorry I do not have a specific date.

Re: Mick Jagger Interview 1978
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 7, 2012 21:50

thank you

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 8, 2012 00:08

I rememember reading some of these quotes.

Mick's comments about Patti Smith are interesting. He was really nasty in interviews during this time, I don't if he was grumpy because of his divorce or just trying agitate, but Mick's comments during this time should be taken with a grain of salt. During this time, he also made very denigrating comments about everything from Elvis and Olivia Newton-John to religion...anything.
He sounded like a very bitter person then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-08 00:09 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 8, 2012 00:13

Seems to be late 78 (early 79 at the latest) going by his comments on the Keith trial maybe going to an appeal. He certainly doesnt seem to be promoting a new record, which is unusual for an interview from around then.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 8, 2012 02:01

Probably not promoting a new record because he's so unsure of Keith's trial outcome. But Wow, he indeed is pretty brutal to Patti Smith and her band, hard edged critisim in a Lennon-esque sort of way. Ouch! peace

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 8, 2012 02:05

stupidguy2

Mick's comments about Patti Smith are interesting. He was really nasty in interviews during this time, I don't if he was grumpy because of his divorce or just trying agitate, but Mick's comments during this time should be taken with a grain of salt. During this time, he also made very denigrating comments about everything from Elvis and Olivia Newton-John to religion...anything.

It seemed to me a conscious 'out punk the punks' mentality when it came to slagging off almost every other act around as they were doing the same. Clearly the influence didnt just stop at music and fashion. He's never really been like that before or since.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 8, 2012 02:37

Gazza
stupidguy2

It seemed to me a conscious 'out punk the punks' mentality when it came to slagging off almost every other act around as they were doing the same. Clearly the influence didnt just stop at music and fashion. He's never really been like that before or since.

I agree...he was under 'attack' and he was trying to outflank them, and to a large degree, did so successfully.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 8, 2012 02:50

Gazza
stupidguy2

Unfortunately, as much as I have enjoyed Mick Jagger as a singer and performer, as I have gotten older, I have found myself becoming embarassed and irritated by some of his slagging comments during his early years. I watched Gimme Shelter not too long ago-in particular the clip of Mick watching Tina Turner during her performance of "Ive Been Loving You Too Long." At the end of it, he looks into the camera and says sarcastically something along the lines of: "Its good to have a chic sometimes." Yeah, real classy Mick. He seems clearly pissed by how good her performance was that he had to slag her.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 8, 2012 03:51

Gazza
stupidguy2

Could be... I mean, he's positively vitriolic toward Patti and she idolized him, openly. It also seemed slightly sexist, criticizing her looks etc...that's low and not characteristic of Jagger, not to that extreme.
If he was trying to be punk, that's one thing, but it really made him seem petty, something he had never been, at least publically. I mean, some of the things he said during that period were really mean, bitchy and bitter. He was also doing much coke then, so maybe it made him more nasty. I still tend to think Jagger was on a tightrope during this period, stressed to the max with the Keith saga and divorce and not knowing where the band was heading etc...I imagine it was a turbulent time in alot of ways... Keith didn't just become "clean" in one year, he still had some ways to go and his health was still very much a question. In retrospect, we know how it all worked out, but in 79, it might have been a real unknown. And maybe the punk thing just encouraged him to be a brat about it...
Mick has always been calm, the one in charge etc..but maybe this it what happened when he was under some heavy pressure, when he was sitting on the can while the shit hit the fan in all directions - the unknowns about his band, best friend and personal life.
I always wondered what P.Smith thought about those early comments.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-08 04:00 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 8, 2012 04:22

Here the interview is more readable >>> [www.iorr.org] (scroll down to 7th comment.)

The photo of Mick with the 45's is included in my Police box set (MESSAGE IN A BOX). If you look closely, you can see the bottom single reads "The Police." It was an early obscure single—titled FALL OUT—released before the Police were well known. Here's Sting's comment about Mick being photographed holding that Police single: "We had a coup when Mick Jagger reviewed it in a music weekly called SOUNDS."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-08 04:27 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: February 8, 2012 07:04

Sighunt
Gazza
stupidguy2

Unfortunately, as much as I have enjoyed Mick Jagger as a singer and performer, as I have gotten older, I have found myself becoming embarassed and irritated by some of his slagging comments during his early years. I watched Gimme Shelter not too long ago-in particular the clip of Mick watching Tina Turner during her performance of "Ive Been Loving You Too Long." At the end of it, he looks into the camera and says sarcastically something along the lines of: "Its good to have a chic sometimes." Yeah, real classy Mick. He seems clearly pissed by how good her performance was that he had to slag her.

Not sure how you come up with that.
Now sure how anyone saying its good to have a chic open is a slag at all. But if you want it to be.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 8, 2012 15:31

stupidguy2
Gazza
stupidguy2

Could be... I mean, he's positively vitriolic toward Patti and she idolized him, openly. It also seemed slightly sexist, criticizing her looks etc...that's low and not characteristic of Jagger, not to that extreme.
If he was trying to be punk, that's one thing, but it really made him seem petty, something he had never been, at least publically. I mean, some of the things he said during that period were really mean, bitchy and bitter. He was also doing much coke then, so maybe it made him more nasty. I still tend to think Jagger was on a tightrope during this period, stressed to the max with the Keith saga and divorce and not knowing where the band was heading etc...I imagine it was a turbulent time in alot of ways... Keith didn't just become "clean" in one year, he still had some ways to go and his health was still very much a question. In retrospect, we know how it all worked out, but in 79, it might have been a real unknown. And maybe the punk thing just encouraged him to be a brat about it...
Mick has always been calm, the one in charge etc..but maybe this it what happened when he was under some heavy pressure, when he was sitting on the can while the shit hit the fan in all directions - the unknowns about his band, best friend and personal life.
I always wondered what P.Smith thought about those early comments.

Altogether the 70's were artistically and egowise quite a difficult time for Mick Jagger. The toughest thing was getting old and seeing younger new talents taking the lead in music. We have to remember where he came from and what he was. He was the bloody king of the whole scene of the 60's! and I think Jagger didn't handle it very wll, at least judging from hindsight. I find some of his comments - concerning for example Marc Bolan and David Bowie - very belittlening and even harsh sometimes (take look at for example the 1972 interview in LADIES AND GENTS re Bolan). That was the beginning, and the punk rock scene that openly confronted the Stones generation of rockers,, made the last nail in the coffin. Yeah, that kind of vocabulary Jagger uses here is justified by the punk rhetorics, but I think Jagger has quite a lot heart in it, too. He doesn't need to act too much...

Anyway, despite Jagger's public behavior in interviews does not stand the test of time very well (not him being such ego-full prick during the 70's, some of his 60's social and political comments are simply artificial and corny), his art does. I think even during the 70's he musically handled wonderfully the 'aging process' and 'going irrelevant' musically in a fine way. That of being threatened by younger acts seemed to motivate him, and of course, SOME GIRLS being the crown jewel of that reaction. Jagger is a better artist than a speaker (probably he also discovered that himself, and stopped acting pricklike during the 80's).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-08 15:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 8, 2012 15:53

What goes for that acting pricklike, heart full of ego, the classical piece is his rumoured sayings of the Beatles. I don't know what those actully were, but Lennon's harsh words in that famous and bitter ROLLING STONE interview 1970 were a reaction to those! That was also the time when The Stones started to call themselves "the greatest rock and roll band in the world" (not technically them, but let us not be stupid here). That was quite arrogant to say during the time when The Beatles still existed... Listen Jagger's interview in STONES IN THE PARK, where he discusses The Beatles almsot like hasbeens "the Beatles - you know when they were big..." - that was in 1969!

I think the stardom - you name it: the singles and albums selling nicely, being loved even in 'cool' counter-culture circles, a probable film career facing him; everything was possible for him, the coolest and sexiest rock star of the world - actually went to Jagger's head somewhere during the late 60's and made his ego enormous. Anyway, that was his creative golden age, so it's alright. smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-08 16:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 8, 2012 16:00

Jeez, i don't read mick here as the slightest bit bitter or nasty here.

i think he's both hilarious and spot-on from beginning to end.

just having a ball being mick, seems to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-08 16:28 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 8, 2012 16:27

Hey, the punks started it. They thumped a sleeping giant in the balls, prompting said giant to make the best, most offensive punk album of the day!

Some Girls basically killed punk. Notice how post-Some Girls "punk" became "new wave" and became much less vitriolic (The Cars? please!).

The Stones invented punk...The Ramones, etc, just revived it.

"We piss anywhere, man!"

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-08 16:30 by Ross.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 8, 2012 18:01

The problem with Mick is, if we don´t SEE him speaking, we often don´t know if he is joking or not, if he is blinking (don´t know if this is the right word) with his eyes. Half of his speaking is body language. I think very often a joke gets lost in an interview. Maybe he means what he says, maybe it is a joke.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 8, 2012 21:43

the punks started it. They thumped a sleeping giant in the balls, prompting said giant to make the best, most offensive punk album of the day!

nuff said and so well. thumbs up peace

Posted by: marcuscollins ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:11

Great post! I've just tracked down the details of the Sounds article: it appeared in the 29 October 1977 edition. The digitised text is available (at a price, I'm afraid) at
[www.rocksbackpages.com]

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 26, 2012 12:25

Ross
Hey, the punks started it. They thumped a sleeping giant in the balls, prompting said giant to make the best, most offensive punk album of the day!

Some Girls basically killed punk. Notice how post-Some Girls "punk" became "new wave" and became much less vitriolic (The Cars? please!).

The Stones invented punk...The Ramones, etc, just revived it.

"We piss anywhere, man!"

Ross

I don't think Some Girls had any impact on the Punk scene whatsoever...Punks still thought the Stones were Dinosaurs who should be extinct, New Wave was a gradual movement which strated before Some Girls was released. As good an album as SG's is, it isn't ground breaking and merely a reaction to the Punk scene. It didn't inspire a whole wave of new bands to play any particular genre of music. Sorry Ross but you are getting carried awayt here. Personally I don't think SG's was even that Punky...just a R&B band trying to be Punk. Listen to it along side Never Mind The Bollocks!

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: April 26, 2012 14:50

marcuscollins
Great post! I've just tracked down the details of the Sounds article: it appeared in the 29 October 1977 edition. The digitised text is available (at a price, I'm afraid) at
[www.rocksbackpages.com]

Thanks for the info on the date of the article.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home