Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No more stadiums - back to arenas
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 9, 2019 05:13

Not just for the Stones, for any rock band. Arenas are the sweet spot, big enough for a giant spectacle and yet still small enough so you can connect with the audience.

That would be a fitting end for the Stones, a retro-style arena tour then Royal Albert Hall for the end.

Re: No more stadiums - back to arenas
Date: June 9, 2019 05:36

MileHigh
Not just for the Stones, for any rock band. Arenas are the sweet spot, big enough for a giant spectacle and yet still small enough so you can connect with the audience.

That would be a fitting end for the Stones, a retro-style arena tour then Royal Albert Hall for the end.

Indoor arenas .... the sound is not great. Booming echo sound.

The Stones seem to have perfected the stadium sound since the turn of the century.

It depends on where your seats are,to some extent,I suppose.

Really,I believe that they should look into more theaters and clubs.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 9, 2019 05:57

Winning Ugly VXII
MileHigh

Indoor arenas .... the sound is not great. Booming echo sound.

The Stones seem to have perfected the stadium sound since the turn of the century.

It depends on where your seats are,to some extent,I suppose.

Really,I believe that they should look into more theaters and clubs.

Mostly true, but gotta say in the newer arenas that may not always be the case.
Their last (public) US concert at T-Mobile arena in Vegas, the sound was phenomenally good. Was expecting it to be a big downgrade from their MGM concerts, but it was one of the best Stones concert for sound that I've been to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-09 06:09 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: June 9, 2019 11:08

I thought the U Arena (La Defense Arena) was absolutely great - yes, the infamous Paris II. But many experienced an echo, due to where they were located in the arena.
Arena crowds just aren't big enough for this final leg of their career (unless you do three nights).

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 9, 2019 11:30

MileHigh
big enough for a giant spectacle and yet still small enough so you can connect with the audience.

Like the way you think!

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 9, 2019 12:03

Financially unviable with a 4m+ guarantee for the band. Give me a bigger crowd with lower ticket prices (and a younger crowd as seen in 18) rather than a more privileged few in an arena any day

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 9, 2019 12:37

MileHigh
Not just for the Stones, for any rock band.

Funny you mention this as I was just listening to a 2019 live tape of Rammstein... caught in a huge stadium! grinning smiley
Seriously the stadium/arena thing is a blessing for world-class bands : they can tour stadiums (= $$$$$) then a few years later harvest the same market (and suck dry the same punters) by doing a tour of arenas : "c'mon this tour is an event! The band plays indoor venues! It's like seeing them in an intimate setting".

U2 has refined this tactic to perfection.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 9, 2019 16:09

If what Keith said sticks then this is the last stadium tour in North America.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 9, 2019 16:32

problem is that arenas will result in even higher ticket prices.
(Arnhem, Dusseldorf and Paris in 2017 were not really areans but stadiums with a closed roof)

Date: June 9, 2019 18:59

slewan
(Arnhem, Dusseldorf and Paris in 2017 were not really areans but stadiums with a closed roof)

The greed levels are embarrassing. 20,000 people x $30 a ticket is $600,000. It's not a huge amount of money but it sounds like enough to put on a show and get to the next gig if you can be rational in the way you plan it.

Date: June 9, 2019 19:07

MileHigh
slewan

The greed levels are embarrassing. 20,000 people x $30 a ticket is $600,000. It's not a huge amount of money but it sounds like enough to put on a show and get to the next gig if you can be rational in the way you plan it.

[www.billboard.com] => how many arena shows would they have to so much and/or what would ticket prices look like?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-09 19:08 by slewan.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 9, 2019 19:07

The Stones want to get paid - so it must be
20,000 people x $300 a ticket...and that´s a cheap calculation...

Date: June 9, 2019 19:25

don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about high tickets prices (we should be past that). I'm only saving that the popular stance 'back to arenas' comes at a certain price. Beside the actual ticket prices smaller vernues also mean less business opportunities for merachandise, food, drinks etc. which might in turn increase the ticket prices even more

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 9, 2019 19:30

Uhhhhhhhhh it depends --- are we talking pricing/scaling like arenas on A Bigger Bang or 2013 50 & Counting? I can't stand stadium shows and would much prefer arena venues but the prices for the arena shows in 2013 were upwards of $700 for regular old lower deck. However on the plus side, the shows were longer 20-23 songs, and there was no opening act to deal with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-09 19:30 by mnewman505.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 9, 2019 20:05

A buddy and I were talking about this the other day. We were wondering why they went back to stadiums after they did the arena tour in 2013. I thought arenas were the way they would end their career but then they went back to stadium tours.

Also the Arena in Paris is an indoor stadium by North American standards. Arenas here are at least half the size and used for hockey, basketball etc. Pretty sure you could play a football game in the Paris arena. Same name, different meaning.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 9, 2019 21:31

I totally agree! Stadiums are all about GREED! And the sound is usually OFF to some degree and you have to worry about rain, wind, cold etc PLUS too MANY PEOPLE! Madison Square Garden, the Boston Garden ( TD BANK), Watchovia Arena, Hartford Civic Center..those are the BEST places to see the Stones. Great view from all points and whoever said stadium tickets were CHEAPER must be dreaming! They are NOT! I can skip the festival feeling and fireworks for a better quality show with NO THREAT OF RAIN!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 9, 2019 21:52

If you’re in nose bleeds of either an arena or stadium the sounds sucks. It’s that simple

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 9, 2019 22:00

Stadiums have definitely been the least expensive option (by a wide margin) at least in the US for a while.
From 2012 on at least. Across the board.. even Lucky Dips went from the initial $85 to $29ish, which pretty accurately reflects the price differential. The last US arena show in Vegas '16 prices were very high compared to Zip Code and the current tour. I'd still prefer an arena tour, but with this stage and screens etc. I am perfectly content to land anywhere on the floor. Not necessarily the case for Zip Code, but the No Filter stage and sound are definitely a big improvement over what was already pretty good.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 9, 2019 22:08

Arenas have bad sound. Watchng a show in the balcony is not an option. Ever time Im in one I just see a hockey rink with people on the floor.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 9, 2019 23:10

Any venue can have bad sound, even theaters.

Face for MetLife right behind the Pit was $499 plus fees when they went on sale and I passed. So approximately $1000 for 2 people to sit in a stadium at the mercy of the weather, not to mention the logistics. Why pay even $100 to sit a mile away and watch screens? Not for me but to each his own. I'll be checking the secondary market a few days before show time because I do want to see them but not in the rain, heat, and humidity we had last summer, and not in the nosebleeds. All good wishes for a fun time to those who are going.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 9, 2019 23:11

It all boils down to demand. There's not many bands these days that are popular enough to play stadium shows in every city they play. If The Stones are going to do 15 cities, imagine the outcry for fans who couldn't get tickets because they were all scooped up by scalpers, etc. A major arena that holds upwards of 20k for hockey in concert configuration holds about 15000. 225000 people could see them versus probably around 750k for this tour.
I would definitely prefer to see a band in an arena versus stadium. I'll be seeing Paul McCartney next month in Vancouver at BC Place. I'm sure I'll be watching the jumbo screens most of the time versus seeing him a couple years ago in Rogers Arena when I was a lot closer to the stage.

Date: June 10, 2019 01:05

Check out the pure magic with Rod Stewart doing Maggie May at the Royal Albert Hall in 2003. With guest guitarist Ronnie Wood.

[youtu.be]

This is the kind of thing the Stones fans need for a last hurrah. Not watching TV from a mile away. They don't need the money.

Also, have online ticket sales only with some kind of algorithm to give everybody a fair shot. Just one portal, no multi-level marketing crap.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 10, 2019 01:28

MileHigh

can you mortage your house & loan me that money to buy tickets? i kid i kid! grinning smiley

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 10, 2019 01:41

MileHigh
slewan

WTF? You have no clue how the business works. Aside from the fact those $30 tickets would be on Stubhub for $500, there are a lot of costs putting and keeping a major touring act on the road. A band like the Stones doesn't need the money but If Mick is making $10k a show and sleeping in a tour bus he is not going on tour.

Date: June 10, 2019 01:57

daspyknows
MileHigh
slewan

WTF? You have no clue how the business works. Aside from the fact those $30 tickets would be on Stubhub for $500, there are a lot of costs putting and keeping a major touring act on the road. A band like the Stones doesn't need the money but If Mick is making $10k a show and sleeping in a tour bus he is not going on tour.

the Stones are definitely not doing the tour bus thing. i could see Keith doing it for fun maybe but not really.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 10, 2019 02:11

They could easily go back to the Theater/Club/Stadium format for certain cities. It's a spectacle now and more power to them and their bank accounts.

Date: June 10, 2019 02:40

daspyknows
MileHigh
slewan

How come the cost of tickets is so out of whack with respect to inflation over the years? It's because of greed. If you suck all of the disposable income from a family that means they can't spend their disposable income in their own community and that hurts a lot of people.

Yes, the "price point" is to maximize your revenue. And that might translate into a show that sells out or nearly sells out with the highest tolerable ticket prices. I know that it's an old debate. My pitch is one last time you do a short arena tour with fair ticket prices. Why not?

Reality check: <<< (USA) According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, prices in 2018 are 500.73% higher than average prices throughout 1972. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 3.97% per year during this period, meaning the real value of a dollar decreased.

In other words, $8 in 1972 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $48.06 in 2018, a difference of $40.06 over 46 years. >>>

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 10, 2019 03:07

For reference, the AVERAGE ticket price for the Stones 2012 show at the Barclays Center in NYC was around $525 which was a record for an arena show by anyone up to that point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-10 03:08 by TornAndFried.

Date: June 10, 2019 03:17

i think that certain elements that have always been involved in the music biz have moved on from records, etc to tickets. not so many years ago ticket scalping was illegal in most areas of the US. now ticket scalpers are are sponsoring stadiums. & because of the lack of regulation, ticketmaster is essentially scalping their own product. surprise, for the most part the artists aren't reaping the benefits of this windfall. like a lot of other things, its the parties in the middle who are contributing nothing that are reaping the profits. out of respect to bv i'm not going to get political. i do have some battles that affect me with similar scenario though.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 10, 2019 03:20

It isn't greed, MileHigh. It's what the market allows. Supply and demand. And if you talk about CPI you must compare with the general income. People earn more in 2019 than in 1972.
There are also different sorts of goods. A Rolling Stones ticket in 2019 is basically luxury goods. That means, in a country like Sweden for instance (or the USA) that 1/3 of the population can't afford it anyway.
For the second 1/3 it's affordable but it hurts. For the last 1/3 it's not a big deal. But the ticket market and housing, for example, are areas where prices have increased considerably.
Electronic goods is an example of the opposite.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home