Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ian Hunter is 80
Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 4, 2019 09:19

Ian Hunter commenced his ninth decade on Monday. Salud! He's a role model for rocking into old age gracefully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-04 09:20 by ab.

Re: OT: Ian Hunter is 80
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 4, 2019 09:37

Surprising that he's 80 .

Thinking about it, I suppose we tend to assume that artists who came to prominence in the early 1970s must be a bit younger than the Stones.

They often aren't ...they just took a bit longer to get properly famous grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2019 09:55

Spud

Thinking about it, I suppose we tend to assume that artists who came to prominence in the early 1970s must be a bit younger than the Stones.

They often aren't ...they just took a bit longer to get properly famous grinning smiley

Like Elton, Rod, Bowie and Lemmy, he goes back longer than many realise, I suppose. I suspect there are casual Zep fans who don’t realise that Jimmy Page was playing on pop hits as early as 1963. Same with Blackmore and others, too.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 4, 2019 13:48

[www.youtube.com]
Mott The Hoople - Roll Away The Stone
------
released 1973, ein Hit 1974. Audio-CD-Sound zu Video-Material aus TV-Show. HQ-Video

[www.youtube.com]
this is one of my favorite records of all time

[www.youtube.com]
but this one's even better.
it tears it's own head off with such power; it just erupts into jjf.
bill must be so proud!!

he's quite the writer imo.
Ian, I mean.
Happy Birthday Tiger; Those Mott records were my steady companions for years straight some of them. They were an extremely central and essential band
for me when I was about 19; I stuck with them after Mick Ralphs left and
followed him othersie... and I still like them and listen to certain Mott songs pretty regularly. I'm glad he's in his old age. I don't like the clown guitar player he's touring with; that flash was kinda tolerable on a studio album but the recent clips i've seen were not pleasant cause that guy distracted me with what seemed like not so cool stuff....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-04 14:08 by hopkins.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 4, 2019 15:18

Spud

Ian is that rare example of someone who didn't make it big until he was his 30s. Not too many other cases like his come to mind, though Boz Scaggs is certainly one. Ian may also be the world's only octogenarian who is currently touring with a major rock band, although I think David Freiberg, who turned 80 last summer, may actually still be out there somewhere, even after the death of Paul Kantner, still touring with some bastardized version of Jefferson Starship.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-04 15:20 by tatters.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 4, 2019 17:07

And he's still making great music, live and in the studio.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 4, 2019 17:31

Braincapers
And he's still making great music, live and in the studio.

he sure is ... and great username, Braincapers! MOTT!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 4, 2019 18:25

Got into Mott for awhile than Hunter went he went solo, though, not every album. He did a song that, when I've played it, people get to movin'. Love this tune; it's truly rock'n'roll. Play it loud.

Just Another Night

[www.youtube.com]

Re you're being 80, Mister Hunter, to steal a line from Neil Young - Keep on rocking in the free world.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 4, 2019 18:28

"Once bitten, twice shy" was always my favourite .

[Loved the 80s cover by Great white too ]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 4, 2019 20:13

Happy Birthday to Ian Hunter

Who is not just amazing because he's 80

The older he gets, he keeps getting BETTER!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: esqcjh ()
Date: June 4, 2019 21:57

Went to NY City Winery last night for his birthday party show--he played Fri, Sat & Sun also. great time, special guest appearance by Joe Elliot who banged out Overnight Angels, Whizz Kid and Honaloochie Boogie with the band as an encore before the birthday boy came back out for a second encore. Lotta love in the room for a prolific artist...80 years young !

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 4, 2019 22:17

Spud
"Once bitten, twice shy" was always my favourite .

[Loved the 80s cover by Great white too ]

Great White cover is pretty good, close to the original ... but it still drives me crazy, so many people think it's a Great White original, and never even heard of mott.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: June 4, 2019 22:50

Saw Ian playing with Mott in Glasgow in April this year, and it's hard to believe he is now 80. He and the band were great, and clearly enjoying themselves up there. Ian and Ariel Bender doing some knockabout banter for our benefit.

Also, I noticed Ian does not need a lyric prompter in front of him. He knows them all off by heart! Even the B sides....

Date: June 5, 2019 01:56

[www.youtube.com]
Ian Hunter - All The Way From Memphis feat. Brian May and Joe Elliot
------
"This is the track 'All The Way From Memphis' taken from the Secret Records DVD release
'Ian Hunter and the Rant Band: All The Young Dudes'
(Available on CD as well). This concert was filmed on the 28th of May 2004
and features many of Ian Hunter's best and most loved songs including
'Rock 'n' Roll Queen', 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy', 'Rollerball' and many more.."
-------------------------

Date: June 5, 2019 02:02

[www.youtube.com]
Mott The Hoople - Death May Be Your Santa Claus
(w Lyrics)
filthy dirty smudgy soaring brutal rollin' shit.
i'm gonna find 'she's much too much on the clutch ; drivin' sister rock and roll she's an automobeat on the street' as soon as i blast this one out a few more times. whoa. hops can shake it like a midnight rambler; like a harlem queen; i wish Gillian Welch was my girlfriend. It depresses me that she isn't.
yet.
that's why i need mott. 'how long does it take' he says about a million times as this just rolls into purposeful oblivion. it ends with a build up and a whomp and then a scream. these kids might have been on drugs. hard to say.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home