Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's 1981-82 boots
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 23, 2019 14:32

Getting ready for another tour, getting ready for more tales of the road. The story of Keith's heelless shoe saved by the great Bill Graham is a fantastic Rock&roll anecdote that makes rock&roll sometimes hilarious; here are the shoes and the story about themshoes. Those boots were cool at the time and Keith worn them out to the max which is proof that he really dug them.
Keep on rocking Rolling stones, we love you long time!
Rockandroll,
Mops

[music2mayhem.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 03:03 by rollmops.

Re: Keith's 1981-82 boots
Date: May 23, 2019 14:39

The story about the boots

Boots worn by Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones during 1981 Tattoo You tour 1980, presented to Bill Graham in 1982 From the collection of David and Alex Graham
Richards’ boots are on display at the Skirball Cultural Center and are a part of the “Bill Graham and the Rock & Roll Revolution”—the first-ever retrospective about the life and times of the renowned music industry impresario. Richards’ new album, Crosseyed Heart, produced with longtime co-producer and drummer on his solo projects, Steve Jordan, is out Sept 18 and the Graham exhibit runs ’til October 11.
The story about the boots is as follows: After a long and involved courtship, Mick Jagger finally agreed to let Bill Graham take the Rolling Stones out on a nationwide tour of America in the fall and winter of 1981. Of this tour, Graham historian Robert Greenfield tells the following story, “One night Bill opens Keith Richards’ door and yells, “Five minutes!” and Keith is squeezing a lemon into his hair to bring out the highlights and he looks at Bill as if to say, “What did you say, Man?” Bill demurely backpedals, throws his hands up and says, “Whenever you’re ready Baby.” Later that night, Keith discovers that he can’t go on because the heel of his favorite boots is busted. Bill is possessed. He takes the boot and goes running through the backstage area. He’s looking at everyone’s feet, saying, “Can I look at your shoe, please? What size shoe do you wear?” He’s looking for a heel from somebody’s shoe. Bill in fact did take the heel off of somebody’s shoe and nailed it onto Keith’s boot. The Stones had a fabulous show and did the entire tour. When the tour ended, Keith called Bill up to his trailer. He said, “Bill you’ve been a driving @#$%&, but you made it happen. We’ll never go out on tour without you again.” He gave him a rose and something wrapped in newspaper—which are the boots you see pictured here.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 23, 2019 15:02

Are there any Stage photos of this famous/mythical boot with the replacement heel on keith's foot ?

I've never tried to find any but have sometimes wondered.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2019 15:09

….. there's so much sole to the story of Keef's boot …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 23, 2019 15:16

Rockman
….. there's so much sole to the story of Keef's boot …..
This is a tough one to get a leg up on.

Date: May 23, 2019 15:16

It seems to me that the boots given to Bill by Keith(photo) are the Boots. Now the heels look the same. May be Keith later on had them fixed with the appropriate heel, just a guess. Because the boots on the picture are boots that have been used by keith for a long long long time; just look at them.

Rockand roll,
Mops

Date: May 23, 2019 15:28

The story I originally read in Rolling
Stone mag was that one of the heels came off
before a show and Bill Graham got it put back on ………………

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 23, 2019 16:43

Well that's why I asked .

Keith evidently had a bit of a superstitious thing with these boots on the tour ...but the details vary from one story teller to the next.

Date: May 23, 2019 17:00

these were part of the Exhibitionism in NYC a few years ago....or at least I think I saw them there....

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: May 23, 2019 17:24

saw those at the Bill Graham holocaust exhibit in Skokie Il

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 23, 2019 19:25

i thought this was going to be about some newly discovered bootlegs

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: May 23, 2019 23:32

duke richardson
I thought so too!

Date: May 23, 2019 23:50

drwatts
duke richardson
I thought so too!
Sorry to have tricked you but those shoes are called "boots".Keith used those type of shoes on the 2 legs of the stones 81-82 world tour!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 03:06 by rollmops.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 24, 2019 00:17

drwatts
duke richardson
I thought so too!

Me too. Hahaha!!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 24, 2019 05:14

More on Keith's boots: [iorr.org]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 24, 2019 16:16

Do they kick ass?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 24, 2019 16:44

Love Keith but you have to have a "rock'n roll" (= rather teenish) mentality to think a pair of smelly old boots are some kind of a present, right?

"We’ll never go out on tour without you again”
That one's funny cos in 1989 when the Stones (=Mick and Keef) had to choose between Graham and Canadian upstart Michael Cohl they chose the latter. Cohl's offer was more "generous" by 16 mil, iirc.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 25, 2019 10:17

rollmops

Boots worn by Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones during 1981 Tattoo You tour 1980, presented to Bill Graham in 1982 From the collection of David and Alex Graham
Richards’ boots are on display at the Skirball Cultural Center and are a part of the “Bill Graham and the Rock & Roll Revolution”—the first-ever retrospective about the life and times of the renowned music industry impresario. Richards’ new album, Crosseyed Heart, produced with longtime co-producer and drummer on his solo projects, Steve Jordan, is out Sept 18 and the Graham exhibit runs ’til October 11.
The story about the boots is as follows: After a long and involved courtship, Mick Jagger finally agreed to let Bill Graham take the Rolling Stones out on a nationwide tour of America in the fall and winter of 1981. Of this tour, Graham historian Robert Greenfield tells the following story, “One night Bill opens Keith Richards’ door and yells, “Five minutes!” and Keith is squeezing a lemon into his hair to bring out the highlights and he looks at Bill as if to say, “What did you say, Man?” Bill demurely backpedals, throws his hands up and says, “Whenever you’re ready Baby.” Later that night, Keith discovers that he can’t go on because the heel of his favorite boots is busted. Bill is possessed. He takes the boot and goes running through the backstage area. He’s looking at everyone’s feet, saying, “Can I look at your shoe, please? What size shoe do you wear?” He’s looking for a heel from somebody’s shoe. Bill in fact did take the heel off of somebody’s shoe and nailed it onto Keith’s boot. The Stones had a fabulous show and did the entire tour. When the tour ended, Keith called Bill up to his trailer. He said, “Bill you’ve been a driving @#$%&, but you made it happen. We’ll never go out on tour without you again.” He gave him a rose and something wrapped in newspaper—which are the boots you see pictured here.

Right, but if I'm not mistaken Bill Graham says in his autobiography My Life In Rock that those boots (or perhaps some other memento) were among several possessions destroyed when an arsonist burned down the Bill Graham Productions office in May 1985.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 10:18 by StonedInTokyo.

Date: May 25, 2019 10:55

Roscoe Gordan - Booted --- Sun Records 1951 ….
...........one of foundation of sixties Jamaican Ska ….

ROCKMAN

Date: May 25, 2019 13:34

StonedInTokyo
rollmops

Right, but if I'm not mistaken Bill Graham says in his autobiography My Life In Rock that those boots (or perhaps some other memento) were among several possessions destroyed when an arsonist burned down the Bill Graham Productions office in May 1985.
StonedinTokyo: these boots seem real to me. What would be the point of putting them in display if they were fake. Nobody cares really; I believe they are the real Keith's shoes.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 25, 2019 13:47

dcba
Love Keith but you have to have a "rock'n roll" (= rather teenish) mentality to think a pair of smelly old boots are some kind of a present, right?

That one's funny cos in 1989 when the Stones (=Mick and Keef) had to choose between Graham and Canadian upstart Michael Cohl they chose the latter. Cohl's offer was more "generous" by 16 mil, iirc.

Yep, typical Keith, TALK IS CHEAP !

I remember reading in a book that Bill Graham was so upset to be turned down that as a last ditch attempt he booked a flight at the last minute to be in the same plane as Mick to try to convince him.

I'm not sure how much money they made on the 1981/1982 tour but I also remember Mick complaining that for years they did these big tours and had little to show for it in the end. Not sure if that includes 1981/82 though but they clearly made a lot more money on the 1989/90 tour.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 25, 2019 14:12

dcba

We can argue that the boots eventually became a valuable object since they ended up being displayed in a cultural center for the pleasure of the public; not the Mona Li for sure but better than just an old dirty pair of shoe!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 26, 2019 04:02

rollmops
StonedInTokyo
rollmops

StonedinTokyo: these boots seem real to me. What would be the point of putting them in display if they were fake. Nobody cares really; I believe they are the real Keith's shoes.
Rockandroll,
Mops

My point is I'm hoping Bill was mistaken and they were spared from the fire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home