Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
50 YEARS OF ROLLING STONES - ROCKY DIJON MADE THE DIFFERENCE
Date: February 3, 2012 16:10

It was posted on the most recent 1972 unreleased live LP thread, "50 Years of Rolling Stones - Mick Taylor made the difference" and that really gave me pause for thought.

Now I'm a big fan of Taylor's era, but I'm not what would generally be considered a Taylorite. Please note that I do not use the phrase as a slur. The world is changing and the rights of Taylorites are recognized in more and more countries all the time. We still have a long way to go before there is true equality, but that's another thread.

My reason for holding back on the Human Vibrato is the fact that the golden years in the studio 1968 and most of 1969 did not involve him. No, when I think of those four or five years that really made the difference to this band's reputation...that outshone the first five years with the blonde who played all the instruments...that made the decades that followed with the bloke who was crossbred with a rooster pale in comparison...I knew it really all came down to one man's unsung contributions:

Rocky Dijon

It's true Rocky didn't have much of a stage presence, sitting crosslegged behind conga drums looking stoned, but man, you can't beat that beat. Where would the Stones be without his congas on "Sympathy For the Devil," "You Can't Always Get What You Want," or "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" The guy made those songs. Literally and figuratively.

I think it fair to say that only a conjugal idiot doesn't agree that Rocky Dijon at least deserves a co-writing credit on the songs he played on. In fact, when you get right down to it, Mr. Stoned guitarist's contributions seem pretty slight compared to the Dark God of the Congas. Jagger-Dijon credits, anyone? If there was any justice in this world, that's what every CD would read.

Think I'm crazy because the guy was only around for four years? Just consider their attempts to replace him. Ollie Brown? Sorry, a good try but the man failed to be Rocky. Michael Shrieve? Not even close. Sly Dunbar? Sounds like we're listening to the bloody soundtrack to SUDDEN IMPACT. Luis Jardim? Lenny Castro? Pathetic. The Stones know the truth. That's why Chuck has to play sampled percussion tracks during every concert in the Vegas years.

If they really want to make a splash for their Golden Anniversary, they need to bring back The Man. Sure, I've heard all the arguments...the average fan doesn't even know his name...he doesn't look like a rock star...blah, blah, blah. I'm telling you the truth, if people heard those mighty hands laying down the rhythm again it would be the Golden Age reborn.

You thought Taylor laying down a track for "Plundered My Soul" was exciting? Not even close. The damn thing sold no where near as well as A BIGGER BANG and all the fanboy wet dreams about Taylor rejoining went no where like we knew they would...but you put Rocky Dijon back behind those congas and this band will fly like a mumma-jumma once more. The word will get out. The people will come. Let the guitar players pose. Let the fanboys think how Keith and Taylor used to wear pretty blouses and had hair just like the girl that sat in front of them in study hall. The man making Jack Flash Jump was Rocky Dijon. Deep down you all know it. Without him, they were just a third-rate garage band.

And yes, Rocky has a story to tell. His autobiography, "Can You Hear the Music?" which someone very, very close to him is helping him assemble is coming soon to a vanity press near you.

I know Rocky didn't actually play on that song. The title was my suggestion, but quite honestly he can't remember if he played on it or not so it seemed irrelevant. He just knows that they owe him big-time for where they're at and he believes once he tells his story, they'll make good by him and give him the credit and royalties he's owed.

And needless to say, Rocky remembers everything. His story will rock your socks off.

Re: 50 YEARS OF ROLLING STONES - ROCKY DIJON MADE THE DIFFERENCE
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 3, 2012 16:11

What he said.

Date: February 3, 2012 16:53

LOL! Good one, Bill grinning smiley

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 3, 2012 18:37

forget sympathy and the two can'ts. rocky's apparently on this!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-03 18:51 by superrevvy.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 3, 2012 18:51

...which makes him not only one of the founding fathers of the Stones golden age
but also one of the founding fathers of rap! YEARS before Shattered.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 3, 2012 18:53

Isn't this a type of mustard? cool smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 3, 2012 19:07

superrevvy
...which makes him not only one of the founding fathers of the Stones golden age
but also one of the founding fathers of rap! YEARS before Shattered.

What does Shattered have to do with rap?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 3, 2012 19:25

It's the truth, nothing but the truth... Glad that finally someone described the bigger picture, the grand scheme of things...which goes far beyond the picture their management and record companies painted over the years...

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 3, 2012 19:25

I have to say that percussion pplayers are often overlooked and the truth of the matter is: without Rocky Dijon's congas, and Keef´s wild solo - sympathy for the devil would have been boooooooooring.

Posted by: GaryDzidzornu ()
Date: October 16, 2013 22:02

Dear William,

First of all thank you so much for all the amazing things you have said about my father. My name is Gary (Dzidzornu) Stewart. Rocki (Dijon) Dzidzornu, was my father.
I stumbled upon this forum yesterday and I've been really moved by some if not all of the comments.
Just to put the record straight my dad died, March 13th 1993 in Oakland California.
He was from Ghana Not Senegal lol.
Wouldn't it be nice to actually hear Mick Jagger say some of the nice things posted hear!
You say he deserves credit/ royalties! Can you believe he only ever received a session fee for his work!!!
I go to the cinema and hear him on Rolling Stone soundtracks so often. How comes it's always the part my dad is playing. Never paid!!!
But hey ho I won't hold my breath for a good outcome there.
What is worth millions to me is that people out there hold my dad in such high esteem. Thank you so much. Gary.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2013 23:10

...hey that's a nice find for you Gary ..Bet William would also get
a buzz out of your comments but he hasn't been around here for sometime now...

ROCKMAN

Whatever happened to Rocky Dijon?
Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:56

I don't mean the poster on this board here but the percussionist. Is he still alive and if not, when did he passed away? There is not much info on him on the internet.

Re: Whatever happened to Rocky Dijon?
Date: May 12, 2013 15:10

Here's some help and the last I heard from a mutual acquaintance, he was very much alive...

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.discogs.com]

[www.allmusic.com]

[pipl.com]

Date: May 12, 2013 15:32

its funny that people always talk about keiths solo in Sympathy, or the lyrics..or the backing vocals. When in fact - Dijon is the true true star of that song. Without Rocky Dijon - Sympathy has never sounded the same. He was the one who gave that song - it's magic, it's wicked groove.

Rocky Dijon was the one who made Sympathy For The Devil the classic that it is !!

Date: May 12, 2013 15:34

Who cares about Taylor, Wynman or Chuck - they should bring Rocky back !!

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:21

seitan
Who cares about Taylor, Wynman or Chuck - they should bring Rocky back !!

I for one would be thrilled if Rocky entered the stage and would start playing the opening conga pattern of SFTD instead listening to that awful synth loop Chuck created.

Thanks for the links, Rocky. Looks like he's alive and well. What irritated me was the term "was" in the first sentence of the Wikipedia entry: Rocky Dzidzornu, also known as Rocky Dijon, was an African percussionist.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:26

And Ollie Brown....bring em all back...that Jones guy too!!!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:50

Munichhilton
And Ollie Brown....bring em all back...that Jones guy too!!!

ollie had some good years with the stones and the san diego padres

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:37

Rocky Dijon
Here's some help and the last I heard from a mutual acquaintance, he was very much alive...

Taj Mahal stated in an interview that Rocky Dijon died in the late 70's.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:47

Glammy
What irritated me was the term "was" in the first sentence of the Wikipedia entry: Rocky Dzidzornu, also known as Rocky Dijon, was an African percussionist.

For the record, when something on wikipedia needs correcting, you can wade right in and correct it.
I just fixed that sentence, for example.

Date: May 12, 2013 21:52

with sssoul
Glammy
What irritated me was the term "was" in the first sentence of the Wikipedia entry: Rocky Dzidzornu, also known as Rocky Dijon, was an African percussionist.

For the record, when something on wikipedia needs correcting, you can wade right in and correct it.

You can correct it back to 'was' as he is dead....

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:53

seitan
its funny that people always talk about keiths solo in Sympathy, or the lyrics..or the backing vocals. When in fact - Dijon is the true true star of that song. Without Rocky Dijon - Sympathy has never sounded the same. He was the one who gave that song - it's magic, it's wicked groove.

Rocky Dijon was the one who made Sympathy For The Devil the classic that it is !!

Rocky is an important element of the track, but to say he his the star of it is over stating things some what.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 12, 2013 21:58

Mathijs
with sssoul
Glammy

You can correct it back to 'was' as he is dead....

Mathijs

Yes, I could have sworn I'd heard he'd died a while back but I can't find anything to verify that.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 12, 2013 22:02

Mathijs

Mathijs

Awhile back I posted a joke here about working on a Rocky Dijon biography telling the real inside story. One of his friends contacted me offline to see if I was for real. I felt bad saying it was a joke and explained I did love his contributions to the records. The friend told me he's doing fine, although retired, and lives on the West Coast. The listing for his real name and a 1935 birth date currently living in California would seem to be accurate. Not trying to argue with you, Mathijs but I'm guessing he's still among the living even if his musical identity is not. I was told he has many good stories and surprisingly remembers most of it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:26

I thought he went into real estate, but that is actually Ollie Brown.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:30

He cut the mustard.

Date: May 12, 2013 23:01

Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

Awhile back I posted a joke here about working on a Rocky Dijon biography telling the real inside story. One of his friends contacted me offline to see if I was for real. I felt bad saying it was a joke and explained I did love his contributions to the records. The friend told me he's doing fine, although retired, and lives on the West Coast. The listing for his real name and a 1935 birth date currently living in California would seem to be accurate. Not trying to argue with you, Mathijs but I'm guessing he's still among the living even if his musical identity is not. I was told he has many good stories and surprisingly remembers most of it.

I don't know much more that what can be found on the internet, and that isn't much. But I do remember an interview with Taj Mahal -which I can't find anymore- where he discussed his band during the late 70's, including what happened to Rocky. Mahal stated he went back to Senegal and that he died there in the late 70's or early 80's.

Mathijs

Ps was he born in 1935? He looks much younger in the footage we know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 23:02 by Mathijs.

Date: May 12, 2013 23:11

Back to Senegal? Wasn't he Morroccan?

Date: May 12, 2013 23:43

They're only 1400 miles apart. Relatively close in some respects.

It does appear Rocky's last album credit was for Herbie Hancock in 1981. I really couldn't say if the sixties footage made him look younger than just a year older than Bill. Maybe the guy that emailed me was putting me on, but there is someone who shares his name living in California. I'd like to think he's still around, but you'd think Taj would know of where he speaks. It's up there with Spanish Tony and the conflicting reports there.

Date: May 13, 2013 00:16

DandelionPowderman
Back to Senegal? Wasn't he Morroccan?

I thought he was from Senegal. His looks aren't North-African as well.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home