Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones version of ”Under the Boardwalk”
Posted by: ChrisX ()
Date: April 3, 2019 01:20

The first LP I bought was the Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK Decca)

One of the tracks on that album is ”Under the Boardwalk” which was originally recorded in 1964 by the Drifters. I first heard the Drifters recording many years later when I bought the US Atlantic records LP ”the Drifters’ Golden Hits”

The lyrics on the Drifters LP goes:

(Under the boardwalk) Out of the sun
(Under the boardwalk) We'll be having some fun
(Under the boardwalk) People walking above
(Under the boardwalk) We'll be making love
(Under the boardwalk, boardwalk)

But the Stones version says ”We’ll be falling in love” not ”making love”. i’ve been wondering for many years why the Rolling Stones version is different!

Is there anyone who knows the story behind this?
Are there different versions (with different lyrics) of the Drifters original 1964 recording?
Or is the truth that the Stones changed the lyrics to a ”cleaner” version?

Please reply only if you really know the answer!

Re: The Stones version of ”Under the Boardwalk”
Posted by: Stones32 ()
Date: April 3, 2019 01:29

Don't know the answer to your question, but seeing them bust it out live with Aaron Neville in Philly (2013) was such an unexpected treat.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 3, 2019 01:58

not a fan of this song no matter whos version.

its lame and the stones have covered a lot better.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 3, 2019 04:07

A fun summer sing-a-long song at best, I've sung along with both the Stones and Drifters versions and can say say I paid attention to a difference in the lyrics.

Reading buttons67's comment, I thought of the Dylan character as played by Cate Blanchett in the movie "I'm Not There" when the character notes/meets Brian Jones and says something on the order of "He's a member of that groovy cover band from England" as a cut at Brian and the Stones. It's been awhile since I watched this movie, so don't hold me to exact wording here.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 3, 2019 04:46

With Aaron Neville - excellent, all things considered.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 3, 2019 10:09

I hate it; I think it's the worst thing the Stones ever recorded, and during what many perceive to be their golden era, i.e with Brian. My Girl is their second worst ever, and, again, that too is a soul cover.

However, their versions of Mercy Mercy, Hitch Hike, That's How Strong My Love Is, You Better Move On, are awesome.

I've also heard their Steel Wheels outtake of For Your Precious Love, and that is brilliant. Why it was never released legitimately is beyond me ? It should've cropped up on their Rarities album on Virgin.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 3, 2019 10:44

The Stones version is as fantastic as The Drifters'.

Both are magical 'summer' somgs, very evocative and beautiful!

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2019 10:50

okay

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-03 12:26 by Rockman.

Date: April 3, 2019 11:10

My questions (not answered yet):

Are there different versions (with different lyrics) of the Drifters original 1964 recording?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 4, 2019 04:12

I'm sure Mick just changed the lyrics similar to Route 66. Instead of Joplin Missouri it sounds like he says down through Missouri and then the final towns he sort of slurs. Sounds like he says Moscow instead of Barstow.
I've always liked the Stones versions of Under The Boardwalk and My Girl!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 4, 2019 07:46

Like changing ‘jerk’ to ‘guy’ for their rendition of Chuck Berry’s Come On, this was surely for censorship reasons.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 4, 2019 08:08

ChrisX
My questions (not answered yet):

From Wikipedia...

There are two versions of the song. The mono 45 USA released version contains the line "We'll be falling in love". However, on the stereo album version, the line "We'll be making love" is sung. These are two entirely different recordings, not edits of one another, as the line "on a blanket with my baby is where I'll be" is sung differently in each version. The version appearing on the Drifters' Golden Hits compilation is a composite of the two, using "making love" in the first two choruses and "falling in love" in the third. Because of the line "making love" several radio stations banned the song, or altered it with the line "we'll be falling in love" instead.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 4, 2019 17:22

Under the Boardwalk is probably the worst Stones cover, along with My Girl, as tomcasagranda noted in an earlier post. The Stones are maybe the best cover band of all time, the Dead being the worst. But there were a few missteps in the early days. I don't think Mick was mature enough yet to sing 'That's How Stong My Love Is' in '65, but was masterful live many years later.

Date: April 4, 2019 19:01

Many thanks ”Jah Paul” for your reply.

ChrisX

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 4, 2019 20:28

24FPS
Under the Boardwalk is probably the worst Stones cover, along with My Girl, as tomcasagranda noted in an earlier post. The Stones are maybe the best cover band of all time, the Dead being the worst. But there were a few missteps in the early days. I don't think Mick was mature enough yet to sing 'That's How Stong My Love Is' in '65, but was masterful live many years later.

I agree with you re: The Grateful Dead: their version of Little Red Rooster is horrendous. The Grateful Dead just cannot do the blues. Country-wise, they are pretty much on the money, as Garcia was a bluegrass musician prior to joining the Warlocks (Dead to be).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 4, 2019 20:40

I also consider Under the Boardwalk and My Girl their worst covers ever - meaningless when compared with the superior originals.
Unlike other great Stone covers, they didn't take them beyond what they already were which was absolute greatness - in fact they really didn't take them anywhere.
Instead they sound like pale imitations that lack everything that was great about the originals.

Date: April 4, 2019 22:01

The reply from ”JAh Paul” gives a quite resonable explanation.

It is likely that the Stones heard the single version of the Drifters recording and based their version on that recording.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 5, 2019 00:20

The absolute worst soul cover they did in the early days was "I've Been Loving You Too Long" that was passed of as recorded live on "Got Live.." downright embarrassing!!

Date: April 5, 2019 16:13

Those soul covers like "Boardwalk", "My Girl" "Ive been loving you too long" were necessary IMO. Like wood shedding. They probably shouldn't have released them LOL; but as part of their learning process as songwriters and producers, how to arrange or use the studio; where Jagger could shine; how their harmonies worked.
Should have been a Side 1 track on "Metamorphosis".

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 17, 2019 08:27

Regarding Under The Boardwalk. It really isn’t a very good rendition. Even Keith’s stinging-guitar cannot save the mediocre take. Actually, I recently compiled The Rolling Stones No.2 for my iPod. It really grabbed me how weaker this release is in comparison to their U.K. debut. Under The Boardwalk certainly doesn’t add much.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 17, 2019 13:15

Mick thought of a better lyric is my best guess.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2019 14:34

Hairball
I also consider Under the Boardwalk and My Girl their worst covers ever - meaningless when compared with the superior originals.
Unlike other great Stone covers, they didn't take them beyond what they already were which was absolute greatness - in fact they really didn't take them anywhere.
Instead they sound like pale imitations that lack everything that was great about the originals.

thumbs up

BTW, John Mellencamp does a good job with UTB

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 17, 2019 15:20

well it's obviously a terrible song because who uses an adverb based sentence in a title really ?winking smiley

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 17, 2019 18:55

tomcasagranda
24FPS

I agree with you re: The Grateful Dead: their version of Little Red Rooster is horrendous. The Grateful Dead just cannot do the blues. Country-wise, they are pretty much on the money, as Garcia was a bluegrass musician prior to joining the Warlocks (Dead to be).

Give the "Pigpen" era a try. 1965-1972 (he died in early '73). "Pigpen" Dead did the blues pretty well with Pig at the mic, IMHO. "Turn On Your Lovelight" '69 got me into the Dead, as a blues lover. Not Jerry or Bobby. Definitely Pig. Another good live blues track from Pig and the Dead is "Easy Wind".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-17 19:00 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 17, 2019 18:56

tomcasagranda
I hate it; I think it's the worst thing the Stones ever recorded, and during what many perceive to be their golden era, i.e with Brian. My Girl is their second worst ever, and, again, that too is a soul cover.

However, their versions of Mercy Mercy, Hitch Hike, That's How Strong My Love Is, You Better Move On, are awesome.

I've also heard their Steel Wheels outtake of For Your Precious Love, and that is brilliant. Why it was never released legitimately is beyond me ? It should've cropped up on their Rarities album on Virgin.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 18, 2019 07:12

floodonthepage
tomcasagranda
24FPS

Give the "Pigpen" era a try. 1965-1972 (he died in early '73). "Pigpen" Dead did the blues pretty well with Pig at the mic, IMHO. "Turn On Your Lovelight" '69 got me into the Dead, as a blues lover. Not Jerry or Bobby. Definitely Pig. Another good live blues track from Pig and the Dead is "Easy Wind".

Not great, but Pigpen is definitely better than the other 'singers' in the Dead. No matter what they do it lacks edge. It sounds rinky dink hippy dippy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2019 16:25

A low point in their otherwise storied early days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-19 03:36 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 19, 2019 10:15

This tune reminds me of a vignette from my high school days: I’m leaning against my car in the school parking lot, a Stones tape in the cassette player as per usual. This guy named Mario scopes me and decides to come have a chat (must be out of boredom because we really don’t like each other). He does his ‘hey man’ greetings and takes in the music – it’s the Stones’ version of Under The Boardwalk.’

Mario takes obvious pleasure in declaring it total crap. That I’m a loser for listening to it is left unsaid but I can read it in his face.

I disarm him however with a ‘what, you think I don’t know that?’ I go on to explain the song’s historical importance in the band’s evolution blah blah blah. He accepts my explanation and leaves decidedly less pleased with himself than a few moments before. FXXK YEAH!! THE END

I know it’s not the most uplifting or profound story but I think my decision to employ the present tense was the right one. It’s not like a$$holes ever become a thing of the past, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-19 10:16 by Swayed1967.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home