Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Reddit?
Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: April 17, 2019 20:20

I started using Reddit a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if anyone here is into it ... and, if so, any recommendations for cool groups/communities to join?

The "classic rock" scene at Reddit is a mixed bag:

r/rollingstones is one of the smaller groups (3,500 members, around 10-20 people online at any one time, similar to here, maybe?)

r/gratefuldead and r/pinkfloyd appear to be the most active, with tens of thousands of members and 200-400 people online at any point.

The posts themselves in those larger groups (dead, bowie, floyd) are a weird combo of newbies saying things like "i just discovered floyd - what are your ten favorite songs" and super arcane collector's stuff and deep dives into the musical construction of particular jams from the dead's spring '77 apex, for example.

In any event, Reddit appears to be less about music and more about communities like microdosing, Kanye, LGBT issues, CryptoCurrency, and politics ... was just wondering if any IORRians had any experience with Reddit or any tips for a rookie like me?

Re: OT: Reddit?
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 18, 2019 02:35

I subscribe to various Reddit subs about bands I follow, though none of them classic rock, and also cities I visit frequently. But there's a sub for everything, as you've discovered. One of my favorites is Today I Learned https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/, which is full of random crazy facts (they mostly actually are facts, because people are encouraged to link to evidence). I spend/waste hours browsing it. grinning smiley

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 18, 2019 04:29

I bounce in and out of a few subs. Someone asked if they could post a Thom Yorke recording I made in the Radiohead sub and I said I'd post. It got over 300 downloads.

Date: April 18, 2019 05:06

I've spent most of my time on Reddit for the past two or three years. It's true most of the classic rock subs are nearly dead, but I find ones like r/MGMT and r/TheKillers (the music sub I mainly frequent now) are often filled with good discussion. As far as tips...

[*] Be careful what you share. Seriously. While most people are nice and friendly, there are too many weirdos to take any chances.
    [*]The Karma floods can be weird. Someone can say 'Hey' and get 500 upvotes while someone else might say 'hey' and have that number but negative.

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Other than that, maybe check out r/AskReddit. That one can be pretty fun.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 18, 2019 07:19

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I've spent most of my time on Reddit for the past two or three years. It's true most of the classic rock subs are nearly dead, but I find ones like r/MGMT and r/TheKillers (the music sub I mainly frequent now) are often filled with good discussion. As far as tips...

[*] Be careful what you share. Seriously. While most people are nice and friendly, there are too many weirdos to take any chances.
    [*]The Karma floods can be weird. Someone can say 'Hey' and get 500 upvotes while someone else might say 'hey' and have that number but negative.

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Other than that, maybe check out r/AskReddit. That one can be pretty fun.

Yes, the downvoting thing seems to lack all logic sometimes. Sometimes it's because you posted a fact that people don't like (so they're downvoting the fact instead of you), but sometimes it makes even less sense.

Reddit is so huge and sprawling it's very much the best and worst of all worlds, you just have to find a niche you feel comfortable in.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: April 18, 2019 19:27

Thanks, everyone!

r/askreddit and r/todayilearned are cool - will def ck them out from time to time.

My new favorite is r/awakened.

I haven't posted much and haven't ever voted on anything; just been cruising subs kind of like the way i browse twitter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home