Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 27
Re: Well the wait's over - new Bootleg: Hampton 81
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:19

Doxa
A great set list!

- Doxa

Hell yes!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:27

The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones are releasing another bootleg, remixed and remastered by Bob Clearmountain: Hampton Coliseum (Live 1981). It's out now to American fans on Google Android [tinyurl.com]. Everyone else, an announcement with release details will follow imminently. This is the artwork.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:35

Hmmmm...In re to comments from DOXA, too bad they didn't do a different set each night a la the Grateful Dead, now that would've been cool!!!

...and the 100 Club setlist is awesome!!!!

Also, if they had used the Hampton show for the "At the Max" film, instead of 1982, fans feelings about that release may be different...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 17:39 by dewlover.

Date: February 1, 2012 17:40

What happened to El Cocamambo 77?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:41

steel driving hammer

We have to put a stop to this. The joke was dated over a week ago.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:42

Erik_Snow

But of course I'll be downloading this official Hampton release as well, since it has better stereo seperation.

yes, this is what maybe makes it a very interesting release !

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:43

Erik_Snow
steel driving hammer

i started a joke...which started the whole world crying....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:50

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
steel driving hammer

Hmm.. was it you who was the first one complaining about the mispelling... and from that the whole thing just exploded... (actually I think I am one of the quilty one by calling it weeks earlier El Columbo just by accident.. And I swear it was purely a lapsus!)

- El Doxamo

Date: February 1, 2012 17:51

Doxa
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
steel driving hammer

Hmm.. was it you who was the first one complaining about the mispelling... and from that the whole thing just exploded... (actually I think I am one of the quilty one by calling it weeks earlier El Columbo just by accident.. And I swear it was purely a lapsus!)

- El Doxamo

hey! don't try to usurp me here. that's a clear bv violation, you know. look it up.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:52

Doxa
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
steel driving hammer

- El Doxamo

I'm afraid it was me and my incessant need for proper improper Spanish.

Date: February 1, 2012 17:57

I just put the 3 Hampton boot CDs I have together in the set list order of the official boot and the only track missing is YCAGWYW.

Good grief, this one can't be the one that Under My Thumb was used for on Still Life - it's HORRIBLE! Bill's bum notes, Mick coming in with the enthusiasm of a 89 year old yawn. Nothing like the Still Life version. Charlie sounds good though.

Date: February 1, 2012 17:58

Munichhilton
Doxa
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
steel driving hammer

- El Doxamo

I'm afraid it was me and my incessant need for proper improper Spanish.

i believe an episode of "to tell the truth" is in order to establish the "true joke starter." i can see the bobbing heads of ST, Doxa, and MH as the audience anxiously awaits the true identity....

Date: February 1, 2012 17:59

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I just put the 3 Hampton boot CDs I have together in the set list order of the official boot and the only track missing is YCAGWYW.

Good grief, this one can't be the one that Under My Thumb was used for on Still Life - it's HORRIBLE! Bill's bum notes, Mick coming in with the enthusiasm of a 89 year old yawn. Nothing like the Still Life version. Charlie sounds good though.

Ehem, Under My Thumb comes from East Rutherford Nov 5th on Still Life

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:02

Erik_Snow
Everybody here, me included, who is somewhat disappointed in Hampton 1981 was absolutely satisfied with both Brussels and Fort Worth. So there's no need to try twisting this into the lame "people here are never satisfied". That's just BS.

Brussels and Fort Worth was stunning. And Hampton is also stunning. But the trouble is that I/we have allready been "stunned" by the bootleg. Is that so hard to grasp?

But of course I'll be downloading this official Hampton release as well, since it has better stereo seperation.

Everybody was not satisfied with Brussels Affair. Many complaints about that as well. The reception wasn't quite as hostile as what Hampton is getting, but I still saw MANY complaints. I think when somebody says "people here are never satisfied" they don't mean that YOU as a person, or that person right over there are never satisfied, but that you simply can't please everybody in this community. Even if they released every really rare show that a majority of people want, there would probably be some that wanted Hampton, or some that wanted some other rare shows, or some that wanted concerts they were in attendance for released, etc.

Date: February 1, 2012 18:04

Complainers Suck

Date: February 1, 2012 18:05

NoCode0680
Erik_Snow
Everybody here, me included, who is somewhat disappointed in Hampton 1981 was absolutely satisfied with both Brussels and Fort Worth. So there's no need to try twisting this into the lame "people here are never satisfied". That's just BS.

Brussels and Fort Worth was stunning. And Hampton is also stunning. But the trouble is that I/we have allready been "stunned" by the bootleg. Is that so hard to grasp?

Everybody was not satisfied with Brussels Affair. Many complaints about that as well. The reception wasn't quite as hostile as what Hampton is getting, but I still saw MANY complaints. I think when somebody says "people here are never satisfied" they don't mean that YOU as a person, or that person right over there are never satisfied, but that you simply can't please everybody in this community. Even if they released every really rare show that a majority of people want, there would probably be some that wanted Hampton, or some that wanted some other rare shows, or some that wanted concerts they were in attendance for released, etc.

I can only recall ONE person who was not satisfied with Brussels 1973, except for the people who still haven't downloaded it, and didn't realise that it was the 2nd show that they release. So I think you are wrong there.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:05

DandelionPowderman
stonesdan60
DP - {I seldom disagree with Doxa, but on this topic I have to say that I can't agree with his 1981 being the "culmination of 20 years"-theory. While 1978 was a return-to-form, reinventing themselves as a current force venture, I see the 1981 tour, and more so the European leg of 1982,as a phase of increasing disorientation within the band. Other than 1978 with Some Girl, they knew that Tattoo You was not a creative highpoint of the current band, but born out of the necessity that came with the fact that creatively, the band was not able to come up with an all-new album. By 1982, the confidence and vigor of 1978 was totally gone and most shows sounded rather ramshackle. 1981 had some stellar shows, Hampton of course included, but also some apparent signs of decline which became all too obvious in Europe 1982. Someone else mentioned that the Some Girls material sounded rather lifeless in 1981/82 compared to 1978. I think that's because the spirit of 1978 was largely gone by then. In 1978, they played songs with breakneck speed because they felt like it. So to speak, in 1981 and 1982, they played songs with breakneck speed to hide something - the increasing lifeliness and emptiness within the band.

This does not take away an ounce from the fact that shows like Hampton '81 are amongst the best they ever played!}

Some good points here, but I'm not too sure I'd agree that Tattoo You was full of older tracks because the Stones had lost the ability to come up with good new material. I think it was a problem of logistics and maybe some poor planning on someone's part. Instead of recording a whole new album and then planning a tour, they had the tour booked perhaps too soon in advance. According to interviews I've read with Mick and Keith, they realized they were in a time crunch to get an album out to tour behind. Therefore they scoured the vaults and selected some great material that was almost finished and the songs were great selections that begged to be put on an album. Start Me Up, Black Limousine, Slave, and pretty much everything else made for a great album even if the basic tracks originated in the past. And they did have time to record a few brand new ones which are also great. To me it doesn't make sense to say they played many songs very fast in '78 because they felt like it, but they played them fast in '81 to hide "lifelessness" in the band. I think they played them fast because they were into it and they were rocking! I thought they were just as vital in '81 as they were in '78. To me, Hampton proves it!

Some good points here, Dan, but I don't necessarily agree with everything.

IMO, some songs from Some Girls improved on the 1981-tour. Shattered and Imagination come to mind.

However, the 1982 shows tend to be noticable weaker than the show from the US.

Concerning the tempo, I'm not sure if the tempo would be very different if we measured with a metronome, but it had something to do with Charlie's playing, imo. He was a bit static and machine-like on this tour.

I've read a lot of posts saying that the tour kind of went downhill from '81 in the US to the European leg in '82. That I have no knowlege of as I live in the US and didn't see any '82 shows. Although I'll conceed I used to have a bootleg from '82 (can't remember which city) and it did sound a bit sloppier and unfocused compared to what I heard here in the states.

Date: February 1, 2012 18:08

dewlover
Complainers Suck

So what do you do? Swallow ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:11

dewlover
Hmmmm...In re to comments from DOXA, too bad they didn't do a different set each night a la the Grateful Dead, now that would've been cool!!!

...and the 100 Club setlist is awesome!!!!

Also, if they had used the Hampton show for the "At the Max" film, instead of 1982, fans feelings about that release may be different...

'At The Max' was filmed in 1990. I dont think the technology for that kind of concert movie was even possible in 1981.

Date: February 1, 2012 18:13

dewlover
Complainers Suck

that's true. we (including you, of course) do. it's all good...i forget who said that first....

Date: February 1, 2012 18:14

Erik, i'm just NOT an ingrate...

You are correct Gazza, '90, not '82, but that is still why I said "if"

Date: February 1, 2012 18:15

proudmary
The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones are releasing another bootleg, remixed and remastered by Bob Clearmountain: Hampton Coliseum (Live 1981). It's out now to American fans on Google Android [tinyurl.com]. Everyone else, an announcement with release details will follow imminently. This is the artwork.

[www.facebook.com]

Great cover. It's my newest screensaver!

Date: February 1, 2012 18:16

Erik_Snow
NoCode0680
Erik_Snow

I can only recall ONE person who was not satisfied with Brussels 1973, except for the people who still haven't downloaded it, and didn't realise that it was the 2nd show that they release. So I think you are wrong there.

YOU can only recall one person, so I am wrong. That's funny.

Some of the complaints:

No physical release
The Bootleg is better, should have released that performance
Keith and Mick's guitars are on the wrong channel
Mick's guitar isn't loud enough
Too much saxophone
Too much drum compression

Those are just the ones I remember reading, there were probably many more. The one about the bootleg performance being better is kind of funny, because many of the complaints about Hampton is that it's been available as a boot. So you can't please everybody. It's just a numbers thing, you get a large group of people and they're all going to have different wants. Don't take it as an insult, it's just reality.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:16

Who the @#$%& wants MP3s? These releases are worthless if not done in FLAC.

Date: February 1, 2012 18:18

Erik_Snow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Ehem, Under My Thumb comes from East Rutherford Nov 5th on Still Life

Oh damn, DUH! "Thank you for waiting New Jersey". Dunno what I was thinking.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:21

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
proudmary
The Rolling Stones

[www.facebook.com]

Great cover. It's my newest screensaver!

Only four silhouettes?
Has Bill been airbrushed again?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: February 1, 2012 18:24

Deltics

Only four silhouettes?
Has Bill been airbrushed again?

I took it that the silhouettes were the band, as Mick was already represented with the big picture. That is supposed to be Mick isn't it?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:27

Of course they can release anything they decide, I'm just saying its the easy road and not much effort had to be applied...

Date: February 1, 2012 18:28

NoCode0680
Erik_Snow
NoCode0680
Erik_Snow

YOU can only recall one person, so I am wrong. That's funny.

Some of the complaints:

No physical release
The Bootleg is better, should have released that performance
Keith and Mick's guitars are on the wrong channel
Mick's guitar isn't loud enough
Too much saxophone
Too much drum compression

Those are just the ones I remember reading, there were probably many more. The one about the bootleg performance being better is kind of funny, because many of the complaints about Hampton is that it's been available as a boot. So you can't please everybody. It's just a numbers thing, you get a large group of people and they're all going to have different wants. Don't take it as an insult, it's just reality.

Why is that funny? Just about everybody loved it, me included.
I even made a thread about "comments on Brussels" and I mentioned that I thought Taylor should have been louder. That's not a "complaint" about the release itself....at all! It's just some comments - and thoughts. I think you mix of thoughts with "complaints", sir,

And yes I know "I am one person in a big crowd". But when discussing music, "myself" is all that counts.

Surely I wouldn't praise "Dark Side Of The Moon" (example), just because I know there's millions of people who love that album

Think you got this thing somewhat wrong, NoCode

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:28

Thanks for the cover Proudmary

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1450
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home