Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Yorker article about Altamont
Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: March 29, 2019 03:19

Re: New Yorker article about Altamont
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2019 03:28

Some cool shots included …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 29, 2019 04:01

“(Lights were scheduled to be attached to those towers but never arrived.)”

Right before I read that I was looking at the incredible picture posted above and thought: well, sorta doable in the daylight, still menacing to me tho!
But when it got DARK OUTSIDE....
eeeee scary
look the lights never showed.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: March 29, 2019 04:37

Left wing rubbish

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 29, 2019 06:06

Re this being "left wing rubbish", I guess if you look at it in the context of what the past few years have shown, the way the world is in places, you could say there's a slant brought in at the close of the article reflecting someone's view of today's world. Leave it at this, one person's view. You don't have to agree with them. Otherwise, it's a basic recap of ALtamont and the "he said/you said this or that" and "here's who's to really blame" way this concert has been debated and viewed through time. The photos are an interesting artifact of another time, but the article really says nothing new.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 29, 2019 06:49

longlongwinter
Left wing rubbish

Straight down the middle tool.

I really hope every thread here doesn’t start to get derailed by politics. It’s a Stones site, paste your complaint about the article on a political website. There’s plenty of threads or posts on here anyone could react to if they so choose. Be a man and ignore it or deal with it in the correct forum, IE a political one. This happens to be a musical forum.

When the stones are onstage, left, right, gay, straight, white, black, male, female, young, old are no longer relevant. Music is and should always be a thing above politics, it’s unity, it’s a shared experience. Leave politics out of it. Music forums should have the same rules as a boozer.. No politics or religion discussed. grinning smiley

Sorry for the dick post, but do I love this site and forum.

(I’ll pull a Mike Love and say I didn’t meditate this morning)

I might buy the photo book, some great photos in the article, but as was mentioned, nothing new either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-29 06:52 by Paddy.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 29, 2019 08:05

We’ve talked Altamont to death here in years past so there’s no reason to dig it up now.
One thing that always intrigued me though was that Alan Passaro dude,he ends up in the middle of this whole scene and then years later dies under some weird circumstances.the cops said he was found face down in a canal wearing a money belt with his Mercedes parked nearby.
They said he refurbished old cars for a living but that looks like a drug deal gone bad.
It’s weird they never say if someone drowned the guy or shot him or what,just “found floating in the canal”

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 29, 2019 11:30

good thing we're not digging it up then. imo.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 29, 2019 12:40

...are they drinking on stage?

Date: March 29, 2019 12:46

ROCKMAN

Date: March 29, 2019 12:46

Maybe the Stones should organise a 50th anniversary Altamont festival on 6 December 2019 as it is planned for Woodstock
Quite politically incorrect smoking smiley

Date: March 29, 2019 12:52

Man if someone in the crowd here
hadda turned on Mick ….scary
no no don't wanna think about it …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 29, 2019 13:09

hopkins
good thing we're not digging it up then. imo.

cool smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 29, 2019 15:46

Good article and such a tragic end to a life

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: March 29, 2019 21:00

Rockman
Looks like Miller High Life...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 29, 2019 21:04

Ah, the steel bottom beer cans I used to find and collect on the side of highways. The good old days.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 29, 2019 21:30

The Bill Owens book look promising.

HMN

Date: March 29, 2019 23:22

Honestman
The Bill Owens book look promising.

Can't find my bow tie.

Date: March 29, 2019 23:33

Yes, good ideas troops! I can see your on the job, which is great,
hoppy has a full schedule; apparently a crack in the covering
of the demon pit; and you know demons, aggressive as hell and they want OUT of There....
...so., whew, let's get it out in the open; big news.
Dollywood has an Altamont; if it works out Sick Flaggers mite take it on...,
it's on a little rail train like the Movie Studio Tours in Burbank or wherever the hell it's hot, sunny and the air, deathlessly still, neither percolates or resonates, it just stinkinates. i can't help it if i'm a poet...that's a whole nother job...
...anyway; sure, you ride thru a little piece that looks like the desert, you start and the backdrop translight is downtown burbank or some other backwards death trap, la skyline and all that shit; twinkle twinkle...,rol rolll oh look it turns to desert, get you selfie hold on the rail grandma....slowly some cacti,,, now and then some rocks like the cowboy movies are close,; tres atmosphero, if u know the international secret language...
anyway...wtf, as long as we're digging it up...
a rubber robot rattle snake pack leaps out and flashes puppet fangs as the hot wind like friggin dryer in a carwash rushes over the cars; oooh booga boogoa don'tr get bit....all that crap, right?
ok...rolling along; keep on rolling; you gott teww keeep on rolllinggg you ggottt to keeeepp on rollinggg you gotttt TWWWWOOO (i miss whats her name, the one before sasha; whoa; super....
anyway..
......yeh; then you get a lot of crowd noise; hippie stuff but it's got to be rated G for toursits; like the setlist; don't say kennedy ssshhh...okaaay...
...so....at one point you actually get out cause it rolls around to a bit of open set that looks like a desert; here's where those out of work Universal Tour cowboy stunt men come in; on choppers. they have lines like 'you touch my bike you'll certainly be facing charges dude i have inssurrranccceeee!!! then it flashes a tongue and wouldn't yo uiknow it; jagged corp has a risk management agency and mick's name is already notarized; and you sign up a percentage of everything to him right there. you;re kids get a meet and greet with one of their kids at the convention but that's extra

Date: March 29, 2019 23:33

keep up the good work!!

Date: March 29, 2019 23:37

It's a wonder someone hasn't
started selling vials of Altamont dirt ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 30, 2019 04:15

longlongwinter
Left wing rubbish

Would you explain why you say such an ignorant thing?

Is that just your general "observation" about the article?

Having read whatever about Altamont over the years, things get fuzzy. There are some things said in this article that I've either forgotten or never read.

Please quote or highlight sections or parts of the article that are "left wing rubbish" since I don't comprehend your meaning.

Can you post a right wing treasured article about Altamont? Could you write one? If you wrote an article about Altamont in a right wing treasured attitude, would anyone read it?

Are you capable of writing at all?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 30, 2019 05:18

Gas Light Street, the poster was probably referring The New Yorker magazine itself.

Where and when is the juicy book about the night BEFORE Altamont?
The day and concert itself has been covered to death (no pun)

Date: March 30, 2019 08:02

Rockman
It's a wonder someone hasn't
started selling vials of Altamont dirt ….

Nobody touches our dirt, man. This dirt and my old lady, man, that's everything man. crrunnccch thanks for opening my beer man, hawwwws, with your face...
...hit him with my pool cue baby daddy's drinking....

Date: March 30, 2019 08:20

…. we got red-dirt down here man ….
dry … ready ta pour into lil bottles …..

I mean if that cat from South Australia can
sell the Chinese cans of out-back air for 24
bucks a pop then some Altamont dirt will be a push over …….

[www.heraldsun.com.au]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: woody ()
Date: March 30, 2019 08:39

The bare cheek of it!
The book looks interesting

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 30, 2019 09:04

You just know that at some point naked dumbass got whacked with a pool cue,just admit you think its funny.
“Hey free love man I’m tripping out,think I’ll get naked and walk through the crowd.wow cool we’re all one,I’m gonna walk onstage and say hello, hey are there pool tables up here?”

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 30, 2019 10:56

Altamont was just a mess, the counter culture was a different beast on the West Coast, a very good friend, took a flight from England to NY for the adventure of 3 Days & has often spoke of the tangible difference between each scene, the underlying sleaze of Cali v the naivety of the Eastern states, children raised protected after WW2, one was a hallmark of Woodstock whereas Altamont... we all know the story

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 30, 2019 12:24

Thanks for the posts and the pics.

Date: March 30, 2019 12:30

lem motlow
You just know that at some point naked dumbass got whacked with a pool cue,just admit you think its funny.
“Hey free love man I’m tripping out,think I’ll get naked and walk through the crowd.wow cool we’re all one,I’m gonna walk onstage and say hello, hey are there pool tables up here?”

Classic. Stop the Presses. smileys with beer
This could have saved MILLIONS of trees.
And prevented 357 shitty books, most of which, blessedly,
are out of print or did not sell well.
You won the internet today fair and square.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home