Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Stones tribute in Carnegie Hall tonight
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 13, 2012 23:52

For our readers in New York City and surroundings:

[www.carnegiehall.org]

Re: Stones tribute in Carnegie Hall tonight
Date: March 13, 2012 23:54

Never mind, I see it is a sticky. This post can be removed.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2012 23:54

Koen
For our readers in New York City and surroundings:

[www.carnegiehall.org]

Angelique Kidjo is great...I wonder what she'll be playing?

Date: March 14, 2012 01:35

I saw her do an amazing version of Gimme Shelter last year, but tonight she'll sing Street Fighting Man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 01:39 by Koen.

Date: March 14, 2012 02:15

Koen
I saw her do an amazing version of Gimme Shelter last year, but tonight she'll sing Street Fighting Man.

Really? That's wild. I had absolutely no idea that she had an affinity for the stones.

Date: March 14, 2012 04:20

Yeah, I was surprised too. She gave them lots of praise for bringing bluesmusic to a broader audience.

Re: Rolling Stones Tribute Concert At Carnegie Hall March 13.
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 14, 2012 12:21

Women Give Rolling Stones Tribute What It Needs

[artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com]

Date: March 14, 2012 12:36

Rolling Stones: Get Carnegie Tribute with Marianne Faithfull and Ronnie Spector
[www.showbiz411.com]

No celebs in the audience to speak of. I ran into Keith’s longtime manager Jane Rose, who said she liked the show but thought Keith “might find it difficult” to listen to all those different interpretations. The Stones celebrate their 50th anniversary next January. Soon we’ll have news of celebration-related items. Until then, this will have to do.

Interesting, um?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 14, 2012 12:45

The Stones celebrate their 50th anniversary next January.

for clarity's sake: proudmary is quoting Roger Friedman.
and if that statement is right, i like it! waiting for Charlie's 50th anniversary with them seems fitting

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: March 14, 2012 13:08

with sssoul

and if that statement is right, i like it! waiting for Charlie's 50th anniversary with them seems fitting

summer, no, then autumn, no, now winter...

but we could still drag it out to spring and summer again because,
as previously mentioned, the r and r hall of fame dates their career start
from june 63, the release of their first record...

another 15 months or so. have you ever had so much fun?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 13:16 by superrevvy.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: March 14, 2012 13:26

superrevvy
with sssoul

summer, no, then autumn, no, now winter...

but we could still drag it out to spring and summer again because,
as previously mentioned, the r and r hall of fame dates their career start
from june 63, the release of their first record

another 15 months or so. have you ever had so much fun?

actually i think it would even be more fitting it they waited til jun 2013
to release another record, 50 years on the button, and then went into
rehearsals in accordance with their usual mega-tour schedule. See ya in
Boston Sept 2013 and London October 2014! The Extremest Explosion tour!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 14, 2012 13:40

proudmary

I ran into Keith’s longtime manager Jane Rose, who said she liked the show but thought Keith “might find it difficult” to listen to all those different interpretations.

Can you blame Keith?

Jovanotti doing YCAGWYW ...

This is the worst stones related news I've ever read in my whol life ...

C

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: March 14, 2012 14:04

I was at the show, which was very well done, though a little strange seeing the stage completely lit up for the whole time. I guess that's what they do for orchestras, but would have appreciated some different lights. Anyway, on with the show.. in order of appearance (with my ratings/comments):

1. YCAGWYW - Jovanotti, members of TV on the radio, and a high school choir.
the choir was great, Jovanotti's red shoes sparkled..

2. Time is on My Side - Ronnie Spector *** in great voice

3. Heart of Stone - Peaches **** surprising strong and forceful

4. Play with Fire - Rich Robinson ** guitar a little low in mix

5. Satisfaction - Juliette Lewis *** alot of spirit, fun, hot..

6. As Tears Go By - Marianne Faithful **** classic

7. Get off My Cloud - David Johanssen ** he looked like Mick, but something seemed a little flat (besides his butt, which he likes to show off)

8. Mother's Little Helper - Steve Earle ***

9. 19th Nervous Breakdown - Ian Hunter and the Rant Band ** kind of like David Jo, seemed like something was missing

10. Paint it Black - The Mountain Goats (missed this, pee break + beer)

11. Under My Thumb - Glen Hansard ** nice version, though kind of sacreligious to add Gloria at the end

12. Ruby Tuesday - Art Garfunkel **** wonderful, seemed to float in the air

13. Let's Spend the Night Together - Jackson Browne with Marc Cohn (duo acoustic) *** just the two of them, but very nice

14. Jumpin Jack Flash - Gomez **** creative rearrangment that rocked!

15. Street Fighting Man - ** Angelique Kidjo

16. Sympathy for the Devil - ***** Rickie Lee Jones - just her and her guitar, seated but playing a wonderfully develish version - would LOVE to hear this one again

17. Honky Tonk Women - **** Taj Mahal!!!

18. Gimme Shelter - **** Rosanne Cash (with John Sebastian on harmonica)

19. Midnight Rambler - *** Carolina Chocolate Drops (bluegrass version) - creative, but repetitive and did not include the middle slow part

20. Brown Sugar - ** Jackie Greene - ok version, lacked a little spark

21. Wild Horses - ***** - Marc Cohn, Jackson Browne, Rosanne Cash - Jackson took 2nd verse, great harmonies, what a song...

------
22. Sister Morphine - ** Marianne Faithful

23. Tumblin Dice - ensemble (though I didn't see Garfunkel, Hunter or Johannsen)

Comments: most of the performers were accompanied by one or two of their own musicians, though on alot of tunes there was a full house band, with sax, back up vocals, led by Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Group).

OK, so it was a bit of a let down that Mick or Keith (or Charlie!) didn't show up, but it was a very good hommage to the Stones, from some exceptional artists - in a historic setting.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 14, 2012 14:10

Pictures From Stones CARNEGIE HALL Show !!
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 14, 2012 08:24

Sorry... not that show.
These are from the Stones' own appearance in 1964.

"From the Archives: The Rolling Stones at Carnegie Hall, June 1964"
"© Copyright 1964 Twin Hills Inc."

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: March 14, 2012 15:06

Although I feared everyone might put their own spin onthe classics and ruin them, hardly anyone did that. Of the 23 songs played, i thought 20 were good to great and only three clunkers. (If I can borrow Ugot2's outline), I'll offer my take, as well...

1. YCAGWYW - The choir made it sound like the original; it was even interesting to hear one verse sung in Italian.

2. Time is on My Side - Ronnie Spector gave us a powerful version and for better or worse(?!?) tried out some stripper moves as she danced around

3. Heart of Stone - Peaches - interesting!

4. Play with Fire - Rich Robinson - clearly a fan, played as a nice tribute.

5. Satisfaction - Juliette Lewis, if they ever do a Janis Joplin bipic, she has go tto get hte role!!

6. As Tears Go By - Marianne Faithful - it was great to see Marianne do both of her Stones songs last night; she began this one by thanking Mick and Keith for writing it for her.

7. Get off My Cloud - David Johanssen - closest we got to seeing a Stone last night, as he looked like Mick on a bad hair day.

8. Mother's Little Helper - Steve Earle said this was the first song he learned to play. He seemed genuinely stoked to be part of the show.

9. 19th Nervous Breakdown - Ian Hunter and the Rant Band - good version, though Ian (like many) seemed to need the help of a lyric sheet at times--I would have thought they could have learned the words to the one song they were asked to play!!

But, so far not a miss in the bunch...

10. Paint it Black - The Mountain Goats - strike one; first downer...not bad,just not good either.

11. Under My Thumb - Glen Hansard - good version; he seemelessly sequed into Gloria at the end...never realized how similar they could sound; was he knocking the Stones, turning their classic into a garage band staple? I dont thinkso, I think he was just having fun.

12. Ruby Tuesday - Art Garfunkel - great to see him, but he struggled (surprisingly) on some high notes, his pianist seemed to be covering for him at times.

13. Let's Spend the Night Together - Jackson Browne with Marc Cohn - great to have another legend in the lineup

14. Jumpin Jack Flash - Gomez - I didnt like the reverberting fuzz they added, but you could tell they were getting right underneath that...then, they dropped the feedback towards the end and really channeled the Stones version.

15. Street Fighting Man - Angelique Kidjo was another performer who really seemed to be psyched to do their song.

16. Sympathy for the Devil - Rickie Lee Jones - and strike two...she did her own jazzy version, as you would expect, but it didnt work for me. Plus, they should have given her a stool, instead of a chair!

17. Honky Tonk Women - Taj Mahal; GREAT to see/hear him. He said he was going to "deconstruct it down to its country roots," so we got a little country honk, as well! Nice touch, as he brought his daughter as a backup singer--no nepotism here, she had a great voice.

18. Gimme Shelter - Rosanne Cash (with John Sebastian on harmonica) didnt recall seeing John Sebastion on the guest list, so this was a nice surprise

19. Midnight Rambler - Carolina Chocolate Drops...and, strike three. no idea what song this was!

20. Brown Sugar - Jackie Greene - brought us back to rock and roll...we needed it after Rambler!

21. Wild Horses - Marc Cohn, Jackson Browne, Rosanne Cash--Jackson Browne's voice is a good fit for this one

------
22. Sister Morphine - Marianne Faithful and 23. Tumblin Dice - nice to get a couple of extra songs

Overall a great night. Does Carnegie Hall ever offer these shows on CD? If they do this one is worth the purchase.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 15:50 by HalfNanker.

Date: March 14, 2012 16:09

Thanks for the reviews guys....I don't get the Jane Rose comment that "Keith “might find it difficult” to listen to all those different interpretations"...

Why would he find it difficult? I would think the opposite, that he would find it interesting, would like some and maybe not some.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: March 14, 2012 16:50

HalfNanker
Although I feared everyone might put their own spin onthe classics and ruin them, 12. Ruby Tuesday - Art Garfunkel - great to see him, but he struggled (surprisingly) on some high notes, his pianist seemed to be covering for him at times.

I actually thought it was his pianist who sang a couple of bum harmonies, not Art. But, whatever, when they were on, which was most of the song, I thought it was sublime.

One more thing - this whole event was for charity and raised over $100,000 for music programs/instruments in needy schools.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:35

Where were you guys at the pre-party? cool smiley

I agree with a lot of the reviews...I thought Taj Mahal was great, as I expected, and enjoyed Gomez very, very much.

All in all, a real treat. One thing though is hearing all these vocalists really makes me appreciate Mick's voice and talent even more.
Yeah, David Johansson really looked like him on stage.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 14, 2012 17:43

Also, at the rehearsal show, Rich Robinson was outstanding, just great!! Good at Carnegie Hall but even better the night before
in the club setting.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 14, 2012 18:17

thanks for sharing
great Taj Mahal what a woman voice with him !

Date: March 14, 2012 18:31

angee
Yeah, David Johansson really looked like [Mick] on stage.

Date: March 14, 2012 18:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-14 18:34 by schillid.

Date: March 14, 2012 21:03

Date: March 14, 2012 22:12

UGot2Rollme
HalfNanker
Although I feared everyone might put their own spin onthe classics and ruin them, 12. Ruby Tuesday - Art Garfunkel - great to see him, but he struggled (surprisingly) on some high notes, his pianist seemed to be covering for him at times.

I actually thought it was his pianist who sang a couple of bum harmonies, not Art. But, whatever, when they were on, which was most of the song, I thought it was sublime.

One more thing - this whole event was for charity and raised over $100,000 for music programs/instruments in needy schools.

not trying to pile on Art, but from where i was sitting (only about 10 rows back), i had a good view of the two of them and to me it seemed like he had trouble hitting some of the high notes and it was at those times the pianist seemed to join in and smooth things over.

Regardless, it was a great night to catch so many legitimately big time artists live and at the same time hear so many great Stones songs. Too bad they couldnt have doubled the bill and done More Hot Rocks as Act II!! Every performer seemed really excited to be a part of the show.

Is there anything up on YouTube yet? lots of iphones recording throughout...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 14, 2012 22:45

proudmary
I ran into Keith’s longtime manager Jane Rose, who said she liked the show but thought Keith “might find it difficult” to listen to all those different interpretations.

proudmary - thanks for the reportback - that is very cool about Jane Rose! did you already know Jane Rose? if not, was she ok with your approaching and chatting with her?

I can imagine Keith would find it difficult to listen to all those different interpretations. I'm surprised anyone would be surprised by that! What would be "in it" for him to hear other people do his stuff? just sitting and listening to anyone else do anything, I would think, would be challenging for Keith because he's so not passive. If there were any musicians who he really respected he might be interested to hear what they'd do with his stuff, but even then it could be sort of uncomfortable or weird to sit there listening to people do your songs one after the other.

Mick, on the other hand, might find it somewhat interesting.

- swiss

Date: March 14, 2012 23:10

swiss
proudmary

proudmary - thanks for the reportback - that is very cool about Jane Rose! did you already know Jane Rose? if not, was she ok with your approaching and chatting with her?

- swiss

Ha-ha, that's how a message board works - someone quotes only part of your post and ...
In fact it is an excerpt from Roger Friedman's article. I believe that he knows Jane Rose, and she told him what was confirmed today in Rolling Stone
That's the link [www.showbiz411.com]

Date: March 14, 2012 23:29

[/quote]

Is there anything up on YouTube yet? lots of iphones recording throughout...[/quote]

how come when i typed "i p h o n e" above it came out @#$%& ??

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 15, 2012 01:38

proudmary
swiss
proudmary

- swiss

Ha-ha, that's how a message board works - someone quotes only part of your post and ...
In fact it is an excerpt from Roger Friedman's article. I believe that he knows Jane Rose, and she told him what was confirmed today in Rolling Stone
That's the link [www.showbiz411.com]

Hi proudmary - no need to imply it was my carelessness or worse that led to misinterpretation. The reason I thought it was you talking: there are no "" around what you'd posted. No way to distinguish what you may have been saying or what someone else said.

Above the statement about Jane Rose/Keith was a photograph and above that a link. It was in no way clear that the statement came from that article. You didn't contextualize the quote--so it appeared you were posting a link to an article, a photo, and making a statement yourself.

here's your original post - you can see how it could be confusing. Anyway--thanks for clearing it up.

proudmary
Rolling Stones: Get Carnegie Tribute with Marianne Faithfull and Ronnie Spector
[www.showbiz411.com]

No celebs in the audience to speak of. I ran into Keith’s longtime manager Jane Rose, who said she liked the show but thought Keith “might find it difficult” to listen to all those different interpretations. The Stones celebrate their 50th anniversary next January. Soon we’ll have news of celebration-related items. Until then, this will have to do.

Interesting, um?

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: March 15, 2012 05:59

This is what Tuesday nights sound like anywhere in the world!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home