Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 26
Re: Keith Richards at Hubert Sumlin Memorial Concert NYC Feb 24
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 27, 2012 01:38

thats right, keith and eric owe their success to drugs and alcohol

and stop your idiotic namecalling. i dont drink or drug. make your points
without namecalling.

so yes, without drugs and alcohol, them two couldnt have done what they did.
keith says so. eric whines so we feel sorry for him.

without drugs and alcohol, both could not have faced the pressures they faced
and made the music they made.

deal with it instead of parroting the (admittedly sometimes effective) lies
they tell you at AA

mick: "the truth is stranger than fiction and drug therapy both"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 01:41 by superrevvy.

Re: Keith at the Apollo Theater
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 27, 2012 01:42

Naturalust
I find it funny that you can dis Bill for writing about Keith and Ronnie

hey man...we diss anywhere...i mean anyone....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 27, 2012 02:13

Thanks Stoned.

Perhaps Superrevy is too young to have experienced life as a f ckup. Or maybe he feels he has has no responsibilities towards everyone who actually cares about him.

I would have admired Keith's book if he'd listed some of the family members and fellow musicians, including Rolling Stones, who had to put up with his "circle" and the constant threat of arrest for everyone around him. Like the children of his bandmates. There's little sense of GROWTH in his book. No sense of humility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 02:15 by stonesrule.

Date: February 27, 2012 02:23

superrevvy
thats right, keith and eric owe their success to drugs and alcohol

This is simply false; the idea that Eric's years of heroin use made him a rock star is laughable. He spent those years locked up in his house doing heroin and not recording ANYTHING or even being able to perform live. It is well documented. Have you read the book?

And his years as a full blown alcoholic coincided almost to a fault with a nadir in his output with some exceptions but that doesn't mean the exceptions were due to alcohol, more like he was able to cut some great tracks IN SPITE of his alcoholism.

Its nice romanticize and sometimes drugs, not alcohol, can help creativity along, but there are a bazillion cases where drugs basically took away an artist's creativity.

There are of course cases where drug use coincided with an artist's best material but again, take Keith, I'd be hard pressed to argue that his years as a heroin addict where his most creative and saying "they helped me cope with the pressure", if that is what Keith says in his book well that is the cop out and rationalization of an addict! It is a lie and dishonest. Clapton doesn't resort to that, in fact the opposite, which you look down on!

My knowledge is limited to Eric's book which is what I have been and am talking about... Clapton's autobiography. I have yet to read about Keith's and am not speaking on that.. I want to be clear about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 02:27 by stoned in washington dc.

Date: February 27, 2012 02:35

Drugs and alcohol saved my life as they have countless others, while improving
the quality of life for almost everybody. of course its a shame about the
casualties, but cars kill a lot of people too.

they served to liberate me. without them i probably would have indeed become
a "poor excuse for a human being".

the problem of course is not drugs and alcohol. it is TOO MUCH drugs and alcohol.

and when i reached the point in my life where the deleterious effects of these
substances began to overwhelm the benefits, what did i do?

i stopped taking them. genius!

true, there may be considerable drama when one attempts to maintain one's sense
of liberation without these medicines, but it certainly can be done.

would you rather i whine about how hard it was, or brag about how easy it was?

because, believe me, i can do either. with equal veracity.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 02:37 by superrevvy.

Date: February 27, 2012 02:42

superrevvy
Drugs and alcohol saved my life as they have countless others, while improving
the quality of life for almost everybody. of course its a shame about the
casualties, but cars kill a lot of people too.

they served to liberate me. without them i probably would have indeed become
a "poor excuse for a human being".

the problem of course is not drugs and alcohol. it is TOO MUCH drugs and alcohol.

and when i reached the point in my life where the deleterious effects of these
substances began to overwhelm the benefits, what did i do?

i stopped taking them. genius!

true, there may be considerable drama when one attempts to maintain one's sense
of liberation without these medicines, but it certainly can be done.

would you rather i whine about how hard it was, or brag about how easy it was?

because, believe me, i can do either. with equal veracity.

Listen, I think everyone should do whatever they want, and I do, but you're going from one wild assertion to another.

Answer the specific point I made: please tell me how heroin helped Eric Clapton when he ended up spending years of his life locked up in his house doing heroin?

Go ahead, genius...

Date: February 27, 2012 02:46

anyways, to each his own.. Eric Clapton thinks drugs and alcohol were destructive to his life and documents it pretty exhaustively..superrevvy believes Clapton is a liar unwilling to as he says "man up"... since its Clapton's word against superrevvy's ABOUT CLAPTON'S LIFE I'm going to have to go with Clapton...and thats going to have to do it for me on this topic.

Date: February 27, 2012 02:48

eric took too much heroin, so did keith.

happy?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 27, 2012 02:56

1. I thought Bill German's review was great - if you don't like Keith, fine. But don't bash the people who enjoy him. And if you were at the Apollo & thought Keith's performance sucked, Then tell us about it. Don't base it on third hand info and videos...
2. I thought Keith's book was amazing - laugh-out-loud funny - great stuff. I don't need my authors to "humble themselves." Humility has a place - but not in Keith's autobiography. What exactly would you want Keith to apologize for - giving us great music for a few decades? As far as I'm concerned he was a generous man who has nothing to be contrite about that he hasn't already 'fessed up to...AND FURTHER - I don't think the Stones would have ever made it Keith had NOT been on H for 10 years...mainly 'cause I think 2 HUGE personalites - Mick & Keith - would've split up the band.
3. No matter how "real" an auto-bio is - it's subjective. We all remember things differently and have our own spin. Sh#t, if you asked 2 people to recount the things they did together yesterday, you'll get two different stories. That's the difference between "subjective" and "objective" writing (objective being the "unbiased onlooker" - which is damn hard to do in a book about yourself). And even the most objective journalists have a slant. That's why you "believe" or follow some critics/writers more than others. It's a matter of personal taste.
4. I try not to be negative, but I thought Clapton's book was UNBELIEVABLY BORING. He is humorless. And I like his music...his early stuff was amazing - though I never thought he was "God," I do think he's one hell of a picker.
5. I have GREAT respect for people who rehabbed & come out clean on the other side . But if I want to hear accolades about AA, I'll head to a meeting or pick up a copy of the "Big Book."
Memphis - the birthplace of the BLUES.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 03:01 by memphiscats.

Date: February 27, 2012 02:59

on the subject of drugs, damian just tweeted this pic of him and snoop dogg
chilling. the reason i'm posting it is because snoop currently has a big
hit single called "young and wild and free" which is also about drugs, and
which i'll post next as MY final comment on the subject. just please try to
remember when you were young and wild and free and how great it was...

Date: February 27, 2012 03:00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 03:01 by superrevvy.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 27, 2012 03:00

To get back to the Howlin for Hubert concert.

Some of the moments were spectacular. Key to the Highway, with Clapton playing acoustic and James Cotton, was a great start.

David Johnansen did a fine job channeling Howlin Wolf.

Derek Trucks is always great.

(I could have done without Gibbons, who has no voice left and posed more than he played guitar. That was also true at the RRHOF concert in '09.)

It was great to see Keith looking healthy and happy.

Many of the musicians sat at the side of the stage (back of stage right), and were visible from the house (at least from upstairs, where I was.) Susan Tedeschi kept getting her picture taken with different folks. At one point, Keith went over and sat there, looking relaxed and enjoying it. After a few minutes, people started shouting "Keith," so he got up and moved.

The "best," or most enjoyable guitarist, I thought, was still Buddy Guy. As usual, he was over the top a bit, but he's still spectacularly talented, speaking and singing with that guitar in many different registers, tones, and emotions. When he and Copeland were riffing together, with Copeland begging and Buddy teasing, it was a lot of fun.

The best Chicago blues came from Lonnie and Ronnie Baker Brooks. Lonnie lets his son carry the show more now, but they were great and had the crowd going with them.

I was disappointed in Clapton's guitar work. I've seen him many times. Usually, when he's with other great players, he turns it up a notch. Sometimes, when he's alone with his band, he just phones it in. Whether it was because he didn't want to be a prima donna, or whatever, he just didn't have it Friday night. As somebody mentioned above, his tone was too clear, and not dirty enough. More importantly, he wasn't playing with soul, his solos were mechanical, and -- except on one song -- they weren't very good. He didn't come across as one of the top 10 electric blues guitar players in the theater -- and that was a surprise.

Keith, as I mentioned above, barely played the electric guitar. In the finale, he wasn't playing the lick. Of the dozen or two guitar players on stage (including the band), he was the only one not playing the lick.

It was a wonderful evening. It was great to see Keith there, healthy, singing, and having a good time. But it sure didn't prove that he could play a full concert.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 27, 2012 03:01

Wow Memphiscats it is indeed a pleasure to have you on this board. I think you hit the nail on the head. Well said, glad someone did. Take 'er easy superrevvy, I know what you are talking about. I totally understand. Not sure I'm willing to take it to the mat with this crowd but don't take it personally, you are understood. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 03:08 by Naturalust.

Date: February 27, 2012 03:09

sorry sorry sorry one last one

keith's main man willie nelson collaborating with snooop dogg "my medicine"

peace to y'all too

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 27, 2012 04:39

As a matter of fact, I love Memphis, have been there many times and on one special occasion in Memphis, birthplace of the blues, I introdouced Ronnie Van Zant and the original Lynyrd Skynyrd band to their idol, Eric Clapton.

My opinions are based on experience, heartbreak and reality.

Each of you has the right to your own opinion.

Date: February 27, 2012 04:57

superrevvy
on the subject of drugs, damian just tweeted this pic of him and snoop dogg
chilling. the reason i'm posting it is because snoop currently has a big
hit single called "young and wild and free" which is also about drugs, and
which i'll post next as MY final comment on the subject. just please try to
remember when you were young and wild and free and how great it was...

Dude, what are you talking about? I still partake.. I'm still young. But the idea that drugs made these guys is very different from saying they had fun doing drugs!

And marijuana is not even a drug in my book...its an herb.. very different from being a junkie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 04:59 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 27, 2012 05:02

Looks like the stripped-down back-to-basics Stones fantasy is not doable. Nobody wants another Vegas Stones act.

The word on Keth about his playing days being over is spot on. Although there is still a lot of support for Mick's White House performance, I felt great discomfort with the forced prancing and jabbing relative to his age. Mick as the ultimate performing rock star is history.

The one positive is that Keith took all of the junk out of his hair. Don't stumble into a tackle box again please Keith. Keith doesn't even look like Kieth anymore and it's been a while. Not his fault of course but I miss the look of the "young" Keith.

The pic of Eric Claptom and Keith in that room is almost surreal if you want to pretend that you live in a time warp. What happend to the skinny/faggy rock star look from the 60s and early 70s? lol It looks like two old farts waiting for the checkers tournament to start.

Time for our beloved Stones to retire.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 27, 2012 06:21

Some of my pictures from Friday night:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 06:27 by little queenie.

Date: February 27, 2012 07:01

damn little queenie..nice pics!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 07:20

Little queenie, those are stupendous shots! Thanks so much for sharing!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 27, 2012 07:39

Great shots LQ...thanks

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 27, 2012 09:15

i'm the first one to have a bash at keith if he does or says something ridiculous but i thought this show was pretty damn good.

i really liked his voice and the acoustic slide sounded great.it wasnt some big splash and it wasnt supposed to be,just an understated performance that made you actually listen,good job keith.

Date: February 27, 2012 09:23

stonesrule
I introdouced Ronnie Van Zant and the original Lynyrd Skynyrd band to their idol, Eric Clapton.

Wowzer, that is a feather in the cap for sure and and interesting night I will presume. Maybe your friendship with Slowhand has influenced your opinion of his book somewhat as well? Anyway I hope you will honor us with the story of that meeting in a bit more detail. I would certainly appreciate it.

If it was the original LS band that was probaly a time all of those folks were flying pretty high. A generally unhealthy time in the music business if my memory serves me correctly. Heartbreak and lost souls were going Platinum.

Eric certainly is in the postion to influence lots of people with his tales of sobriety. I wonder if the subject came up at all during the talk he had with Keith backstage. I couldn't help thinking as much when looking at the photos posted. Something like "Keith mate, it's never too late to try this new drug called sobriety, it's awesome , has me high as a kite and happy and playing pretty well too." " Want to meet me in the islands for a short course? " That would be a truly ballsy gesture! peace

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:33

IMHO:

i was worried about keith during the first number where he was just singing/speaking...but he redeemed himself in the 2nd two numbers and sounded solid.

best guitarists of the night: kenny wayne shepherd and buddy guy (buddy even played his guitar with his chest)

least impressive: clapton (i had expected more but loved hearing key to the highway)

biggest surprise: my newfound love of jody williams (who played Lucky Lou with Kenny Wayne Shepherd)

(it's one of jody's signature songs)

(also a cool surprise - the 12 year-old jamming with buddy guy)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 10:33 by little queenie.

Date: February 27, 2012 10:37

MRambler

Nothing wrong with Keith here. The LLR-version was good, too. Heartfelt, no flash - just the blues.

However, Keith could use a little more distinction between his rhythm sound and his lead sound, imo.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:58

thanks for the charming photos, little queenie! great that you could be there - i'm sure you let Keith know we love him
(i understand what you're saying about Keith's first contribution. Goin Down Slow is normally half spoken/half sung,
and apparently Clapton invited Keith to do the spoken parts just for fun, but it must have seemed at least odd at the time!)

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:07

Very wise words from memphiscats.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:08

Great pictures LQ, thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 27, 2012 14:31

WOW, I just watched Goin Down Slow on youtube, and I can tell you, I never thought I'd ever see in my lifetime Keith croon a number (minus guitar) in front of Eric Clapton! Really, has it come to this?!
I know you guys don't like me bashing Keith, but does Keith have no pride!?

Date: February 27, 2012 14:51

yes LQ really appreciate your pictures from the evening. It was quite a COLORFUL night wasn't it?

Keith's hair has changed nicely I might add. No more trinkets dangling, no scarf, just the mop top we all love. It's been awhile and I'll bet Patti had something to do with it. He looks more comfortable in his skin so to speak, ala natural. peace

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home