Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 26
Re: Keith Richards at Hubert Sumlin Memorial Concert NYC Feb 24
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 26, 2012 21:47

Stoneage
Maybe someone is fully informed?

Absolutely. But then again... will he/she tell it here ? I doubt it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: February 26, 2012 22:36

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:21

with sssoul
schillid
I don't know all the players' names...
So if anyone wants to identify the main players and song names in each of the clips, then I can retitle the clip appropriately.

schillid honey, see Keessie's post on page 14: [www.iorr.org]
which indicates that Gary Clark Jr played on every number Clapton fronted - is that right?
and then Clapton played on one of the numbers Keith fronted

as for "the harmonica player is the problem" ... that's James Cotton.
Q: what is the classy thing to do when you're playing with a giant legendary player who's having trouble?
A: what Keith did

Thanks. And thanks for listening to me explain that other thing: YIKES!!!, OMG!!!, etc... AHHHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:23

(courtesy of stonesdoug. i'm not a big fan of new threads for everything.
but if you feel like this deserves it, be my guest...)

Keith Richards--the Comic Book

Orbit: Keith Richards
Written by Brian McCarthy & Michael Lent
Pencils by Luis Chichón
Colors by Luis Chichón
Letters: Luis Chichón
Cover by Michael Szyksznian
Bluewater Productions
Release date: January 5, 2012
Price: $3.99 (print); $5.99 (ebook)

He’s one of the greatest rock musicians alive and the fact that he’s still alive is a wonder – he’s Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards and this is his story.

Orbit: Keith Richards is a biographical comic from Bluewater Productions which gives us the down and dirty on the life and crazy times of Keith Richards, who’s been a driving force behind one of the biggest rock bands in history. Richards is responsible for mega-hits like “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” “Brown Sugar,” “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” and “Honky Tonk Woman,” to name just a few of the many popular songs he wrote. The musician is also known for other things, like his long-term major drug use and his many run-ins with the police. It’s been a mystery how this man, who’s now 68 years old, is still alive after all the drugs he’s done.

The comic book starts off very strangely with Richards introducing his tale while undergoing brain surgery, which he actually did in 2006. This leads into a brief run through his childhood in England during World War II and his later obsession with the guitar. Once we see how he got together with his bandmate and long-time collaborator Mick Jagger, we quickly get into their musical success in the 1960 and 1970s with The Rolling Stones. And with that success came the drug use, which was so severe that Richards at times couldn’t get out of bed to go to band rehearsals.

Along with the sordid drug details and arrests comes the ups and downs of rock stardom. As for his romantic life, this comic mainly focuses on Richards’s long-term relationship to Anita Pallenberg and how their addictions adversely affected their lives and the raising of their children.

The writing by Brian McCarthy and Michael Lent is very clear and they make this mainly third-person bio more interesting by having Richards frequently pop up in panels to give an affirmation or a quote. The panels are also sprinkled with familiar lyrics, which is cool. I’ve been a Stones fan my whole life and have read and watched interviews with Richards over the years, and I feel like this comic really nailed his vibe. Any fan of Richards or the Stones is going to dig what’s being offered here.

Unfortunately, the artwork by Luis Chichón is some of the most horrendous I’ve ever seen in a comic book. It pains me to say that, because, well, I hate to have to criticize an artist so harshly. I was unfamiliar with his works before this comic, so I did look him up and see that he does some beautiful fine art painting, so perhaps he was rushed on Orbit: Keith Richards. The comic is informative, has the right tone, and the subject matter sells itself, but the art is just not up to par. Keith Richards is one of the most recognizable people in the world, so to see him drawn so terribly is a shame. His likeness is all over this comic, but it’s very inconsistent and disproportionate. Chichón’s strength in sequential art seems to lie in the page layouts, which are very nicely done — some of it looking like scrapbook pages from Richards’s life; his rendering of inanimate objects and his color tones are good, as is his lettering.

I can’t deny, I did enjoy reading Orbit: Keith Richards and I think it was because the writing was good and the subject matter is one I’m familiar with. I’m really not sure who this comic book is being marketed too because someone like me, who reads comics regularly, probably wouldn’t get beyond the art to throw down four bucks for this. The “capes and cowls” crew wouldn’t give this a second look, while the topic is too mainstream for the indie comics crowd. Forget the kids, the subject matter is much too mature for them, so who does that leave? My mom for sure would love this comic, being a fan of classic rock and having an indiscriminate eye when it comes to comic book art, but when will my mom ever walk into a comic book shop or browse the new comics online at TFAW? Yeah, never. And while the art might not stop mom from reading, she sure as hell would be calling me up to ask me what’s wrong with it. So, perhaps Orbit: Keith Richards would make a good gift for the classic rock fan in your life who is unfamiliar with comic books and would just enjoy learning about the life of Keith Richards.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:29

superrevvy
i'm not a big fan of new threads for everything.
but if you feel like this deserves it, be my guest...)

You said it! That REALLY deserves to have a thread of its own!
WOW!

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:49

Good aud of the show running at Dime

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 26, 2012 23:50

barbabang
Okay I watched Little Red Rooster. Keith's performance on this song was good (very basic on the guitar maybe, but good) The vocals were strong. The BIG problem was the harmonica player, who was not in the song at all, which I don't understand as the song itself is very basic. So in this song the harmonica player is the problem. Not Keith.

Yep. Unfortunately the harmonica playing on LRR is in the wrong key. Keith did the best he could ignoring the accompanying dissonance.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 27, 2012 00:01

I just got this recording [www.iorr.org] and Keith sounds fine to me... considering it's a blues and booze soaked gig.

Keith at the Apollo Theater
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 26, 2012 02:29

Just got a great message from Bill German who is doing a tour of America talking about the Stones. He is a great speaker and it's worth checking out for all Stones fans.

He also did a review of Keith's performance last night at the Apollo Theater in NYC. Here's the link below. peace

[www.beggarsbanquetonline.com]

Re: Keith at the Apollo Theater
Posted by: MRJIMMMY ()
Date: February 26, 2012 02:36

youtube videos

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 26, 2012 03:05

Bill, is very politically correct in his review,he doesn't get into Keith's playing at the show,which in hindsight says more about what he witnessed,than actually talking about it...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 26, 2012 07:20

A whole bunch of nothing from Bill. Isn't his 15 minutes up yet?eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 26, 2012 09:00

Yeah no kidding...does he even provide "inside scoops" anymore? He used to be the person to listen to for news/updates.

Date: February 26, 2012 12:01

Hey guys it's a decent piece on Keith, why so brutal on Mr. German? I thought he did a fairly decent job, what are you expecting? Keith's underware brand? Some hot comments about Brenda? He still has insight into those guys more that you and I will ever have, grow up I say. peace

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: February 26, 2012 13:24

I also got a message from Bill German about his touring/travels and about Keith's Apollo gig.

I've always been very friendly with Mr. German and I find him to be a true gentleman. He always treats me well and kindly.

No harsh words from me!smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 26, 2012 14:44

My old pal SweetCharmedLife. Thank you for telling it how it is.

I'm sure Bill G. is a nice guy. His book had its moments but he needs to understand that there is "stuff"to write about besides how wonderful Keith and Ronnie are..were.

I whizzed through his book. But as another IORR'er noted Clapton's book was a true labor of honesty. An admirable book as far as I'm concerned.

I wish that I could say the same about Keith's book. He needs to get real (and there were times long ago when he was) instead of buying into his own image.

Date: February 26, 2012 18:53

I find it funny that you can dis Bill for writing about Keith and Ronnie considering how much time you spend doing the same stonesrule.
He is writing about a current event he obviously attended, nothing wrong with that, I appreciated his piece.

As far as the Clapton book, I could barely finish it. The dude is so full of himself it just turned me off. The guy was hardly a loving personality as Keith is, came across as quite a self serving prick if you ask me.

On the other hand I enjoyed Keith's book so much I've read it twice! He doesn't need to buy into his own image because he IS is own image. That's the way he lives, breathes, dresses and thinks. Anybody who knows him and has spent time around him will concur. If you are so anxious for Keith to "get real" I'm sure there is a Clapton board somewhere you can wax poetic about your hero. I'm rather shocked that you think this way after all the decent contributions you have made to this board. confused smiley Just sayin... peace

Date: February 26, 2012 21:12

I was referring only to Bill Germain's book about the Stones.

I respect Clapton among many others. Never quite thought of him as a hero. But it takes a real grown up who has suffered and come through it to be as honest as he was in his book...which he wrote himself.

Since I have spent time around Keith and always wish him well, I simply do not concur with your thoughts.

Frankly what I think Keith should have done was "write" the book with his "team" which is what he did. And then wait six months and read it again at least twice before submitting it to the publisher. For $7million dollars he should have had enough pride in his work to give it the time to make it true to himself -- and not his "image." Simply my opinion.

Date: February 26, 2012 21:37

Thanks stonesrule, I appreciate your gentle response. You are probably right about Bill's book, a bit too much flattery. I understand what you are saying now.

I don't quite get your contention that Keith's book was not "true to himself" but as you have spent time around him I will take you at face value. Maybe you could explain what direction he could have taken with the writing to be more honest. Keith hasn't been through all the addiction recovery processes that Eric has, maybe you are referring to that? I love both guys for their contributions to the music of my life. No more no less.

No worries though , we can always agree to disagree in a friendly way, which you are obviously quite capable of doing. Have a great day. peace

Date: February 27, 2012 00:22

Everyone has his own reasons why he loves Rolling Stones.

Anyway none of us has never tried/Expected to find in the Stones a singer like Pavarotti or guitar player as Paco de Lucía (by the way I wonder if there were on stage a guitar player not only technically able to share the stage but even able to carry the suitcase of Paco de Lucia....).

In the end Mick and Keith still convey the feeling. So hats off to them for this late shows.

A very, very, very, very different issue is if they should tour. They still retain the feeling but a classical/standard tour does not fit with their shape. But it is not an "artistic" reason, it is jus biology. So to speak.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: February 27, 2012 00:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 00:36 by MRambler.

Date: February 27, 2012 00:31

I've expressed this before about Keith's book, but in light of the last few
posts, I think it bears repeating:

Eric's book is what one expects an autobiography to be. A mature reflection
and commentary on how and why things were as they were.

I don't really like those kind of books. Even when they are seemingly honest,
they are revisionist and self-serving.

Keith's is a whole different thing. It is what he said it is: a RE-LIVING of his
life on the page, no apologies, no quarter given. At a certain point in his life,
when he couldn't give a shit about Bill Wyman, Bill Wyman doesn't appear, no matter
how much Keith might have come to appreciate Wyman in retrospect.

That's why Keith's book is one of the best ever. He lays out how it was! Like
it or not, he doesn't set out to pretty it up or explain himself. This is how
it was! "Deal with it", Keith is saying, "I've got to."

Date: February 27, 2012 00:38

Clearly, you're an authority on fine autobiographies. "One of the best EVER."

Date: February 27, 2012 00:42

THE best i've ever read. not that i've read all that many. for exactly the
reason i noted. too self-serving. tell me about other ones that are
RE-LIVINGS of the life, instead of revisionist, and maybe i'll get interested.

my only point is that no autobiography has ever let me into the person's
head like keith's did. not at the time they were writing it, but unvarnished
at the time they were living it.

tell me others that do that. i want to read them.

i don't want the mature take on their lives. i want the immature take, in
all its glory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 00:44 by superrevvy.

Date: February 27, 2012 00:59

I went into clapton's book expecting to hate it.. I can't stand most of his music and I think he is very overrated... I only read the darn thing cause i found it somewhere for 25 cents (at a library sale)...

I can't help that I found the book to be an unbelievably candid account of his life, his failings, his struggles with drugs and primarily alcohol... It really is the best book I've read on alcoholism... Of course Eric in the book emerges in a negative light because for many years, decades, he was a drugtaking alcoholic mess.. but the fact he writes about it in such honest and unsparing terms I think is commendable... It can only be called self serving in that its probably a part of his continuing battle for sobriety.. if someone can criticize that then I think they really are a poor excuse for a human being! AND the insider account on people like Patty Boyd and many others was fascinating..

Now if you went into it wanting to read about music well then the book does not deliver.. but as an "autobiography" I thought it was excellent

Date: February 27, 2012 01:02

i am a poor excuse for a human being. i'd much rather read about getting totally
wasted than about what a shame it was. i don't go for that "poor poor pitiful me" shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 01:05 by superrevvy.

Date: February 27, 2012 01:14

superrevvy
i am a poor excuse for a human being. i'd much rather read about getting totally
wasted than about what a shame it was. i don't go for that "poor poor pitiful me" shit.

you said it. drinking smiley

I mean you're looking for fiction then not autobiography because being an alcoholic is not fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 01:15 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 27, 2012 01:25

MRJIMMMY
youtube videos

Can I at least get credit for the videos when you post them?

www.Dreamtime.tv

Date: February 27, 2012 01:29

stoned in washington dc
superrevvy

I mean you're looking for fiction then not autobiography because being an alcoholic is not fun!

its not fiction, its real. i say, man up! you're a freaking rich rock star,
eric, and drugs and alcohol are what made you that. show some appreciation.

now if on the other hand youre lying in the gutter, broke and sick, then you
can tell me how bad drugs and alcohol are. for keith and eric, they were a
blessing. neither of them would have been half of what they became without
them. at least keith owns up to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 01:30 by superrevvy.

Date: February 27, 2012 01:33

superrevvy
stoned in washington dc
superrevvy

its not fiction, its real. i say, man up! you're a freaking rich rock star,
eric, and drugs and alcohol are what made you that. show some appreciation.

now if on the other hand youre lying in the gutter, broke and sick, then you
can tell me how bad drugs and alcohol are. for keith and eric, they were a
blessing. neither of them would have been half of what they became without
them. at least keith owns up to it.

alcohol and heroin made eric what he is (ie., a rock star) ???

Dude, you need to get off the sauce cause its making you look like an idiot!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home