Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 26
Re: Keith Richards at Hubert Sumlin Memorial Concert NYC Feb 24
Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: February 26, 2012 15:50

superrevvy

that was the peak. It was Richards’ first major musical appearance since the Rolling Stones last toured five years ago, and he showed little rust. After "Going Down Slow," he sat down and played metallic 12-string slide while singing "Little Red Rooster," and then strapped on a Gibson electric guitar to sing and trade licks with Clapton on "Spoonful." "It’s good to be back," Richards said, peering up to the balcony before breaking into a cackle. "Goddamn, it’s good to be back.""

So, there you have it, in black and white from the bible of rock and roll. Almost no rust at all. Shiny like a sedan de ville.
Full story: [www.rollingstone.com]

stoned in washington dc
Its been apparent to me for some time that Rolling Stone will publish whatever Keith's publicist tells them to. no doubt about it.

That's how the game of publicity works these days. It's not about critical observation or independent thinking anymore or even journalism in the old fashioned sense, where the art of writing came into it. It's all about the size of chequebooks now. If you have enough money you simply buy the PR you like.
And then to think some people actually fall for the delusional ramblings of the RS Mgz reporter.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 26, 2012 16:22

Rolling Hansie
I loved both gigs.
I loved both Mick's and Keith's performances.
Is it still possible on this board to like Keith without bashing Mick ?
Is it still possible on this board to like Mick without bashing Keith ?

MICK AND KEITH WERE GREAT

Is it still possible to like one performance more than the other without
being called a basher?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2012 16:22

His Majesty
His Majesty
Bittersweet viewing.

life has battered Keith's abilities as a guitar player, but kudos to him for putting across his love for Hubert via some heartfelt singing.

I watched the videos more, especially one recorded from a different angle where Keith's guitar on Spoonful is more cleaner on some than others. Basically repeated viewing has revealed to me that there's more to this than first meets the eye and ear. Typical Keith, there's some sweet stuff in there.

I think I'll amend my previous post to say...

... but kudos to him for putting across his love for Hubert via a heartfelt performance.

His guitar playing is simple, but it sounds authentic and it works nice and subtle in context. I think he did rise to the occasion, but in a different way to how Mick did at the White House.

smoking smiley

Well put. What he does, he does well, and what he does not, that is not needed. thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 16:23 by Doxa.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: February 26, 2012 16:29

Sorry if this has been posted already

Article on Rollingstone.com

Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy and More Celebrate Hubert Sumlin in New York
'It's good to be back,' Richards told crowd. 'It doesn't get any better than this.'

February 25, 2012 8:05 PM ET

Close to midnight last night at New York's Apollo Theater, Eric Clapton had just finished a thunderous take on classic blues number "Forty Four" when Keith Richards ambled onstage with no introduction. Wearing a dark blazer, long green scarf, fedora and a huge grin, he embraced Clapton and stood center stage to massive applause, delivering a smoky take on Wolf’s "Going Down Slow," a chronicle of a frail man who has savored life’s greatest pleasures. "Man, I've had things that kings and queens will never have," Richards growled. "In fact, they don't even know about them, let alone get ’em. And good times? Mmmm...." He hovered around Clapton and then stood sidestage by the piano while Clapton delivered a throaty verse and then weaved clean-toned solos with young Austin guitarist Gary Clark Jr.

There were many highlights at Howlin for Hubert – a tribute to guitarist Hubert Sumlin, who played in Howlin’ Wolf’s band for decades and passed away on December 4th due to heart failure – but that was the peak. It was Richards’ first major musical appearance since the Rolling Stones last toured five years ago, and he showed little rust. After "Going Down Slow," he sat down and played metallic 12-string slide while singing "Little Red Rooster," and then strapped on a Gibson electric guitar to sing and trade licks with Clapton on "Spoonful." "It’s good to be back," Richards said, peering up to the balcony before breaking into a cackle. "Goddamn, it’s good to be back."

The entire show, which featured all-stars including Buddy Guy, Billy Gibbons, Warren Haynes, Jimmie Vaughan, Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II and Elvis Costello – plus overlooked legends like Wolf’s former bandmates, harmonica player James Cotton, guitarist Jody Williams and saxophonist Eddie Shaw – was one for the history books. The event originated while Sumlin was still alive as a celebration to mark his 80th birthday. It stayed that way; Guest after guest recounted Sumlin’s unfaltering positivity and passion for his instrument. At one point, Toni Ann Mamary, Sumlin’s longtime manager and companion, tearfully recalled Sumlin tellling her, "I’m gonna be there. I don’t care if I play – I’m going to be there." She added, "Can you feel him?"

The night began with a film featuring classic Sumlin performance footage and a recent interview with him, where Sumlin humorously described how he found his own piercing signature sound after Wolf strongly urged him to lose the guitar pick. The stage lights then revealed two massive portraits of Sumlin behind the stage. His sunburst Stratocaster sat on a stand at center stage, with his trademark feathered cap hanging off of it. Clapton emerged – with short, slicked-back hair and wearing a blazer – with Cotton, Sumlin’s old musical partner. Clapton kicked the night off howling an acoustic, stomping "Key to the Highway," complemented by Cotton’s razor-sharp harp fills.

Each set came and went in a flash. Performers were backed by an incredible house band including Steve Jordan and Jim Keltner, two of the best drummers alive, bassist Willie Weeks and pianist Ivan Neville. An early highlight was Jimmie Vaughan performing an electric solo version of "Six Strings Down," a tribute to fallen gunslingers. When he sang "Albert Collins up there / Muddy and Lightnin’ too / Albert and Freddy / playing the blues," it was easy to feel more than one spirit in the room. Kenny Wayne Shepherd and 77-year-old Jody Williams jammed on Williams' ferocious 1957 instrumental "Lucky Lou," Shepherd unleashing flurries of loud, screeching notes. The New York Dolls’ David Johansen – who sang lead at many of Sumlin’s shows in recent years – emerged for "Evil," replicating Howlin' Wolf’s vocals with a weathered cat-scratch howl.

Chicago blues legend Lonnie Brooks, 78, and his son Ronnie Baker Brooks performed a rousing "Sweet Home Chicago," and 74-year-old Eddie Shaw animatedly sang and played sax on "Sitting on Top of the World." Soon, Costello surprised the crowd when he appeared unannounced in a grey, checkered suit, to jam on an instrumental boogie and sing his own "Hidden Charms." Later, Warren Haynes nailed Wolf’s boogie "You’ll Be Mine" and invited Billy Gibbons to add some Texas twang to "Killing Floor."

During set two, Keb Mo and and Shaw performed a slinky "Howling for My Baby;" Doyle Bramhall II led the band in a stellar "Commit a Crime" and Robert Randolph played a blissful "Who Do You Love?" with ferocious pedal steel playing, dancing out of his chair to the Bo Diddley beat. Derek Trucks backed wife Susan Tedeschi on "How Many More Years" and "Three Hundred Pounds of Joy." Between Trucks' scorching slide solos, Tedeschi managed to pull off lines like "Honey / I’m your boy / 300 pounds / of heavenly joy."

Buddy Guy brought the night to a new peak with a raucous, bravado-filled set that included "I’m Going Down" with Randolph, Guy stabbing and holding volume-shifting notes while he gestured to the crowd like he was passing out money. During a stomping "Hoochie Coochie Man," he belted a verse away from the microphone, telling the band to "play it so funky you can smell it."

27-year-old newcomer Gary Clark Jr., who recently signed to Warner Bros. Records, had the challenge of following Guy. He nailed a cover of "Catfish Blues" full of fat-toned fury. He then introduced Clapton back to the stage, who backed Clark on a soulful "Shake For Me." Clapton grinned away, appearing thrilled to act as a sideman, and traded solos with Clark. Clapton then took the lead for a vigorous "Little Baby" with a swinging start-and-stop groove, looking at the ceiling while unleashing muscular solos full of vibrato. His playing wasn't flashy or overly virtuosic, but it was still Clapton.

By that time, Richards' appearance felt like a bonus. He looked happy and healthy in his set. He also looked like classic Keith: He took off his hat to reveal a full head of grey hair, so frizzy it looked like he was shocked by an electrical socket. He’s currently recording solo tracks with Steve Jordan for an upcoming album. Here's hoping he'll promote it by touring theaters, doing exactly what he did last night – singing center-stage, sitting while playing country blues and plugging in when he feels like it – especially if the Stones don't tour immediately.

After his set, more than thirty of the night's performers gathered on stage for group jams. Shemekia Copeland led the band on "Wang Dang Doodle" and everyone jammed on Sumlin’s signature riff, "Smokestack Lightning." It was crowded and messy, but still fun to watch. Richards even broke out some of his classic stage moves: kneeling down, pulling his hand away from the guitar each time he hit a note, and cracking up, especially when Billy Gibbons started fanning Kenny Wayne Shepherds' guitar. Something Costello said earlier in the night resonated: "The only sad thing about tonight is that Hubert’s not here."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2012 16:50

MRambler
By that time, Richards' appearance felt like a bonus. He looked happy and healthy in his set. He also looked like classic Keith: He took off his hat to reveal a full head of grey hair, so frizzy it looked like he was shocked by an electrical socket. He’s currently recording solo tracks with Steve Jordan for an upcoming album. Here's hoping he'll promote it by touring theaters, doing exactly what he did last night – singing center-stage, sitting while playing country blues and plugging in when he feels like it – especially if the Stones don't tour immediately.

YES! The review was spot on Keith being a "bonus" that what he was. But what is news is what this 'official' Keirth Richards publicity forum says, and that hits exactly to the direction I've been thinking what is there left. thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 16:54 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 26, 2012 16:52

superrevvy
being called a basher?

Absolutely

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 26, 2012 16:59

Rolling Hansie
superrevvy
being called a basher?

Absolutely

then: every lil ting irie!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 26, 2012 17:05

Gold Coast Slave Ship
All I would like to see Keith do in concert is to play a few more notes/chords for my hard earn coin! I don't think it's too much to ask! If he's not giving us any more licks than he should leave the guitar (prop) off!

Wait for a Keith Richards Concert or a Rolling Stones concert.
- This was a Hubert Sumlin concert

Date: February 26, 2012 17:09

superrevvy

then: every lil ting irie!

smiling smiley Say what ?

-------------------

Date: February 26, 2012 17:10

every little thing Irie

Irie (I-rie \I ' -ree) is a word in Jamaican Patois that can mean 1: powerful and pleasing 2: excellent, highest n 3: the state of feeling great. It is commonly used by members of the Rastafari movement

Date: February 26, 2012 17:11

I got it. Thanks

-------------------

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: February 26, 2012 18:05

This might already be posted, but it's much better quality than that one I've been watching. I think it sounds pretty fantastic. Don't understand what everybody's whining about.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 26, 2012 18:10

nonfilter

This might already be posted, but it's much better quality than that one I've been watching. I think it sounds pretty fantastic. Don't understand what everybody's whining about.

[www.non-filters.com]

thumbs upsmileys with beerdrinking smiley

It´s cool.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 26, 2012 18:14

seitan
nonfilter

[www.non-filters.com]

thumbs upsmileys with beerdrinking smiley

It´s cool.

Compared to 2006/2007 Keith looks fresh. In 2006/2007 he looked like a worn out person - maybe due to his fall and Patti's cancer, but now he looks more than OK. If he can play more than he did - god only knows.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 26, 2012 18:53

wow James Cotton has lost a lot of weight..he is still big but not unreal heavy...He is still the super harp as well. One of my biggest heroes....Spoonful is pretty cool for a public jam deal.

Clapton voices is in great shape..perhaps the best singer of his generation in terms of where his pipes are nowadays. I wish he'd dirty up his guitar a bit more though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 19:30 by dadrob.

Re: Keith Richards - Howling For Hubert - video.
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 26, 2012 20:07

with sssoul
schillid
Me too... But only partly because I was THERE!

schillid honey, please tell us how you managed to be there! i'll make popcorn ...

I would like to... but not here on the forum.
Is your email still what it was years ago when we were in touch?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 26, 2012 20:15

The real true thing is that KR sung with passion and fine,finer than i thought. If he focus his music in terms of slow performances, maybe it is better than crazy RS tours.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 26, 2012 20:18

Keith did well. Nothing spectacular, but good enough. And the gathering was entirely an homage to Hubert Sumlin not a Keith solo concert.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 26, 2012 20:21

schillid
Is your email still what it was years ago when we were in touch?

i hope so! give it a try - the popcorn's still fresh :E

Date: February 26, 2012 20:31

House Band:
Willie Weeks - Electric bass
Larry The Mole Taylor- Standup Bass
Billy Flynn- Guitar
Eddie Taylor Jr.- Guitar
Danny Kootch Kortchmar- Guitar
Barrelhouse Chuck Goering- Upright piano
Ivan neville- Organ, electric piano
Jimmy Lee Keltner- Drums
Steve Jordan- Drums, musical director
Kim Wilson- Harp, vocals

From the Second Set

31. Commit a Crime (with Jimmy Vaughan and Keb Mo)
32. Derek Trucks Intro
33. Meet Me At the Bottom (with Jimmy Vaughan)

34. Susan Tedeschi Intro
35. How Many More Years
36. Three Hundred Pounds Of Joy

37. Robert Randolph Intro
38. Who Do You Love (with Jody Williams)

39. Buddy Guy Intro
40. Quinn Sullivan Intro
41. Goin' Down Slow
42. Hocchie Koochie Man (Buddy Guy and Robert Randolph)

43. Shemekia Copeland Intro
44. Beggin' You Please(Buddy Guy and Shemekia Copeland)

45. Gary Clark Jr. Intro
46. Catfish Blues

48. Shake For Me (Eric Clapton with Gary Clark Jr.)
49. Little Baby (Eric Clapton with Gary Clark Jr.)

50. 44 Blues (Eric Clapton with Gary Clark Jr. and Jody Williams)

51. Goin' Down Slow (Eric Clapton with Keith Richards and Gary Clark Jr.)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 26, 2012 20:33

This whole thing depresses me.

Won't make a lot of comments as I don't won't to be a downer, but this was NOT the ass-kicking return to form I was dreaming of.

The Jimmy Durante act has worn thin. Either play or retire.

Date: February 26, 2012 21:00

Date: February 26, 2012 21:04

with sssoul

check your male mail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 21:04 by schillid.

Date: February 26, 2012 21:11

Different angle, maybe a bit better quality

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 21:35 by MRambler.

Date: February 26, 2012 21:18

going to upload this one again... it don't know why it is not HD like the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 21:19 by schillid.

Date: February 26, 2012 21:20

What was the reason Jagger didn't take part in this? He could have done the same set (except Miss You) here. Was it too long to walk the few blocks in between? Buddy made it and he's over 70...

Date: February 26, 2012 21:25

Stoneage
What was the reason Jagger didn't take part in this?

Why ask it here ? You really think anybody knows ?

-------------------

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 26, 2012 21:28

He’s currently recording solo tracks with Steve Jordan for an upcoming album. Here's hoping he'll promote it by touring theaters, doing exactly what he did last night – singing center-stage, sitting while playing country blues and plugging in when he feels like it – especially if the Stones don't tour immediately.

[/quote]

..upcoming album ? confused smiley

Date: February 26, 2012 21:35

Rolling Hansie
Stoneage
What was the reason Jagger didn't take part in this?

Why ask it here ? You really think anybody knows ?

I'll take a longshot, Hansie! After all, this is a Rolling Stones forum. Maybe someone is fully informed?

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: February 26, 2012 21:42

Elmo although I don't share your view, the analogy made me laugh smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-26 21:44 by paulm.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home